Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Downloaded the Fox Sports Australian coverage of the match last night.

Must say it was a pleasure watching without having to listen to Stuart Barnes, Paul Wallace, and Will Greenwood making love to Gatland and the Lions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

welkin wrote: »

Must say it was a pleasure watching without having to listen to Stuart Barnes, Paul Wallace, and Will Greenwood making love to Gatland the Lions.

Paul Wallace is the blandest commentator going, rarely says anything incisive.

Don't forget Scottie either, the man that's only there for his accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7

Must say it was a pleasure watching without having to listen to Stuart Barnes, Paul Wallace, and Will Greenwood making love to Gatland the Lions.

Yeah me too. Was far better. Except for the part where they were convinced George North was trying to do damage to Barnes by pushing another player into him... Got a giggle out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate

Must say it was a pleasure watching without having to listen to Stuart Barnes, Paul Wallace, and Will Greenwood making love to Gatland and the Lions.

yeah, some people don't like Phil Kearns etc, but at least they don't seen to take themselves too seriously. I felt like spewing at times with the Sky coverage...but I didn't want to risk my working internet link to try and find another one with the Aussie commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Lions by less than 7
    Internationally, everyone agrees Phillips had a poor game, was strolling around the pitch like he had a knock in the first half, and was by far the weakest link.

But on Sky .. . .. . gush gush gush gush.

They 'own' the brand I suppose with exclusive rights, but they do little to bring in new punters to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Lions by less than 7
    The enduring image I have of Phillips from the match is him jogging behind Genia as he makes the break for the first Falou try.

Other Lions are busting a gut to catch him and the way the play develops Phillips probably would have influenced play had he been chasing hard but he is just cantering behind him, no urgency.

Lions by less than 7

Paddypower own Sportsbet.

Up to their old tricks.

Lions by less than 7
    If you swapped Genia for Phillips in the match.. (PLEASE LET US DO THAT!) the Lions would have romped it.

He dominated the match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

andrewdcs wrote: »
    If you swapped Genia for Phillips in the match.. (PLEASE LET US DO THAT!) the Lions would have romped it.

He dominated the match.

Or how about the Aussies had Leigh Halfpenny at full back.

Maybe they would have romped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Or how about the Aussies had Leigh Halfpenny at full back.

Maybe they would have romped it.

Yes, and if we had Gareth Edwards, Mike Gibson and Willie John McBride in our team we would have run riot

• Advertisement

Dan Lydiate
    1st test scrum & lineout analysis from GAGR, if you have 10 minutes to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This has confirmed to me what I've suspected. If there was another tighthead worth his salt and playing well on this tour, Adam Jones would be in serious trouble. The one scrum where they decimated Australia aside, the Lions scrum was not dominant at all with Jones on the field. Luckily for him, it was even worse with him off the field. I followed him for the first half yesterday and his work rate around the park is simply not good enough for a bloke that is starting a test match for the Lions.

He made two tackles during his time on the field. He was also the first man to only two rucks during his time on the field. For both of those statistics, he is the lowest of any player that started the game for either side with the exception of Lilo who went off after about 90 seconds. The other front row players put him to shame in terms of their mobility and work rate.

Even the rucks that he was making, he was hanging off a lot of them, leaning in, farting around the back of them and generally not doing himself justice. Adam Jones was a great player around the park in terms of tackle count and effort in the past. He's seriously dragging ass around now though.

On another point of purely smugness/minor vindication, there were 4 line outs off the top for the Lions there!

Dan Lydiate
    Buer wrote: »
    This has confirmed to me what I've suspected. If there was another tighthead worth his salt and playing well on this tour, Adam Jones would be in serious trouble. The one scrum where they decimated Australia aside, the Lions scrum was not dominant at all with Jones on the field. Luckily for him, it was even worse with him off the field. I followed him for the first half yesterday and his work rate around the park is simply not good enough for a bloke that is starting a test match for the Lions.

He made two tackles during his time on the field. He was also the first man to only two rucks during his time on the field. For both of those statistics, he is the lowest of any player that started the game for either side with the exception of Lilo who went off after about 90 seconds. The other front row players put him to shame in terms of their mobility and work rate.

Even the rucks that he was making, he was hanging off a lot of them, leaning in, farting around the back of them and generally not doing himself justice. Adam Jones was a great player around the park in terms of tackle count and effort in the past. He's seriously dragging ass around now though.

On another point of purely smugness/minor vindication, there were 4 line outs off the top for the Lions there!

Yeah, I agree. He reminds me of Mike Ross for Ireland in the sense that he's indispensable at present from a scrummaging point of view. I have been reading a lot of criticism about Richie Gray at ruck-time, but Adam Jones is equally inadequate in this regard. I really think the Aussie props have come on in the last few years - they'll never be feared or worldbeaters, but the days of Matt Dunning, Al Baxter etc are gone.

Current props couldn't nail a drop goal if their lives depended on it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Wallabies by more than 7
    I really think the Aussie props have come on in the last few years - they'll never be feared or worldbeaters, but the days of Matt Dunning, Al Baxter etc are gone.

Ah man, just when I had that cold day in Twickenhan wiped from my mind through alchahol consumption there you go and bring it up......

Having to sit there and be forced to watch Australia go through the humiliation of un-contested scrums like a bunch of Under 7's image_zpsa8a850cc.jpg

All bar one at the front though, not a great attacking position as the video points out, but as the video also says the Lions weren't showing much ambition to go beyond 12 anyway a lot of the time. Hopefully we'll be a little less conservative on Saturday, although I'm not convinced

Tox56 wrote: »
    All bar one at the front though, not a great attacking position as the video points out, but as the video also says the Lions weren't showing much ambition to go beyond 12 anyway a lot of the time. Hopefully we'll be a little less conservative on Saturday, although I'm not convinced

I think a lot of it was to do with the fact that Youngs isn't really a great thrower regardless of his flawless stat from last week. He has always been very wobbly in terms of keeping it straight as he throws beyond 4. Hopefully, last week will have given him some confidence and he has the added bonus this week of throwing to his line out leader at Leicester and England which will be of benefit to him.

I think a lot of it was to do with the fact that Youngs isn't really a great thrower regardless of his flawless stat from last week. He has always been very wobbly in terms of keeping it straight as he throws beyond 4. Hopefully, last week will have given him some confidence and he has the added bonus this week of throwing to his line out leader at Leicester and England which will be of benefit to him.

I don't have the stats to back it up but it seems like they've had more faith in Hibbard's throwing, throwing more frequently to the middle/tail when he's at 2, but because those more often went awry (it's obviously more difficult to execute) he missed on the test jersey!

It all seemed a bit bizarre, Youngs made less mistakes but was throwing to easier targets. I remember in one of the warm-up games we were throwing almost exclusively to the front with Youngs, and as soon as Hibbard comes on we throw to the tail.. ?? In fairness to Youngs he did make his throws to the middle/back when called upon last Saturday, I just hope we have a bit more faith in him next time

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7

Damn you! :mad:

1st test scrum & lineout analysis from GAGR, if you have 10 minutes to spare

fast becoming a boards.ie favourite

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

fast becoming a boards.ie favourite

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/

Jesus that's so good. Would love to have the time to try and do something with Ireland games, obviously not as good but I'd like to try it once or twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Would love to have the time to try and do something with Ireland games, obviously not as good but I'd like to try it once or twice!

Do it!!!!

I have to say I'm really enjoying these analyses, they're very insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

What's the story with GAGR?

Is it just one guy that runs it on his own?

Never heard of it before this tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

What's the story with GAGR?

Is it just one guy that runs it on his own?

Never heard of it before this tour.

I think the fella in the video started it, but he has a team with him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Do it!!!!

I have to say I'm really enjoying these analyses, they're very insightful.

Nah, waste of time.
    We have Sky.

;)

I might actually give a craic at doing a similar style video for the next test

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Lions by less than 7
    The GAGR podcasts are fantastic, been a listener for years. Les Kiss used to contribute quite a bit and they always get input from top coaches who speak very candidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

I might actually give a craic at doing a similar style video for the next test

Go for it, I'd be delighted to watch it. I've never played rugby myself, so being able to watch and listen to such in-depth analysis is a real treat.

Go for it, I'd be delighted to watch it. I've never played rugby myself, so being able to watch and listen to such in-depth analysis is a real treat.

The analysis might be the problem :P I'm able to operate Final Cut and I've loads of recording equipment because my flatmate is a musician so why not give it a craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Planet Rugby (the site, not the forum) used to have good refereeing discussions too. Haven't been on there in a while, mind.

Advertisement