Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    Beanmonkey wrote: »
    Every time I watch Falou's first try it gets better.

Of all of the options available to Genia (before he put the kick in):

- Inside pass to O'Connor. In which case Davies would have tackled him.

- Looped pass over North (not an easy task) to Falou. 1/2P would probably have gotten across.

- Step inside 1/2P. Davies would have gotten across if he beat 1/2P.

- Straight grubbed kick ahead. Falou wouldn't have won the foot-race.

How many players would have made the same decision in similar circumstances (and in the fraction of a second available)? And how many of those would have had the skill to pull it off?

Timing of the kick was perfect, as he drew North in from the wing leaving Falou free, and also committed 1/2P to the tackle.

Speed of thought as much as the execution that made it such an incredible try. Genia seemed to be two steps ahead of the Lions defenders.

It's not the first time either. And no doubt not the last. Here's another classic. The guy is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Lions by less than 7
    Would be interested to see if the Lions player ratings would be different if Beale had nailed that last kick to win the game of the Wallabies.

Technically it shouldn't make any difference but I'm pretty sure there would be at least a 1 point drop on average in the players ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

I'll have to take you on on this one. Every year NH pundits downplay the Aussies, and every year they trundle up North and win more often then they lose. And they just about did the same again yesterday, injuries and a lack of goalkicker proving their undoing, as everyone knows.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Lions squad or the Lions starting XV, if it's the former then 3 or 4 Aussies only is doing them a huge disservice. If it's the starting XV then there is some debate. Based on yesterday's performance Genia, Folau, Mowen, and goalkicking aside Beale were all better than their opposites. Sexton, Corbisiero, North & maybe POC for the Lions. Otherwise honours were pretty evenly shared, reflected in the scoreline.

On their day, Horwill, Hooper, JOC, Digby, AAC, and Moore are up there with the best players in the North.

When they come on tour, they play international which are used by NH teams as testing grounds for new players. Can't compare this with a Lions tour or World Cup. I would have Halfpenny on the side way before Beale. You can't ignore some players strengths. There may not be much between Beale and Halfpenny in general play (maybe Beale mide shade it) but at the end of the day Beale would not make the Lions Team ahead of him. I actually think Kearney is better than Beale. Horwill instead of POC or AWJ, don't think so.

stunmer wrote: »
    Would be interested to see if the Lions player ratings would be different if Beale had nailed that last kick to win the game of the Wallabies.

Technically it shouldn't make any difference but I'm pretty sure there would be at least a 1 point drop on average in the players ratings.

I agree. I thought we were poor in most and should have converted more when we were inside their 22. Even the scrum at the end should have been quickball out and keep the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WarButton

Lelantos wrote: »
    He made numerous, costly mistakes, he made a cracking pass for our second try. His decision making in defence was awful, frankly only bettere by Phillips. He's going to start the second test of course, but he needs to improve tenfold. He's the pivot of the team, he misfires, the team misfires.
    Next Saturday he needs to be 100%, no hesitation in offence or defence

Woah! Did Sexton kill your dog or something?? You must have some form of agenda there because that is a ridiculously harsh assertion. I was watching the game in The Wool Shed with a group of Kiwi/Ozzies and they were all in high praise of Halfpenny, North and Sexton. Sexton was brilliant yesterday!! I'm not even a Leinster fan but he was class yesterday.

Off the top of my head, he was responsible for two turnovers by holding up defenders, his up and unders were perfect, some lovely crisp passing for the try, some beautiful cross field kicks and he had 3 separate chip and chases where he regathered the ball making a break out of nothing! That was utterly class. His only mistake at all that day was getting done by a great step but then what player hasn't had that happen? His leadership on the pitch was huge as well. Organizing everything, and of course his decision to pull out the dummy run play that led to one of the Lions tries? Very good decision making throughout, don't think he made one kick or run that wasn't on! He did everything right.

And all that, beside a horribly misfiring Phillips? Sexton is absolutely crucial to the Lions chances. Himself, Halfpenny and BOD are probably the three most important players in the entire team. You can take out anyone else and the Lions won't suffer much. But you take those three out and the team suffers. I've been watching rugby for 30 years and he is probably the best Irish outhalf i've witnessed in the flesh. No player comes close to his all round game, only two marks against him are that he blossomed late and hes a bit prone to injury.

Anyway, did Sexton run over your dog? Go on, you can tell us...

• Advertisement

Dan Lydiate
    Gryire wrote: »
    When they come on tour, they play international which are used by NH teams as testing grounds for new players. Can't compare this with a Lions tour or World Cup. I would have Halfpenny on the side way before Beale. You can't ignore some players strengths. There may not be much between Beale and Halfpenny in general play (maybe Beale mide shade it) but at the end of the day Beale would not make the Lions Team ahead of him. I actually think Kearney is better than Beale. Horwill instead of POC or AWJ, don't think so.

Really? The English team at Twickenham and the Welsh team at Cardiff looked pretty full strength to me last year. You''re right though, you can't compare with a World Cup...of which Australia has two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Lelantos wrote: »
    He made numerous, costly mistakes, he made a cracking pass for our second try. His decision making in defence was awful, frankly only bettere by Phillips. He's going to start the second test of course, but he needs to improve tenfold. He's the pivot of the team, he misfires, the team misfires.
    Next Saturday he needs to be 100%, no hesitation in offence or defence

Got beaten by Folau obviously but what were these other costly mistakes/bad decisions in defence?

Really? The English team at Twickenham and the Welsh team at Cardiff looked pretty full strength to me last year. You''re right though, you can't compare with a World Cup...of which Australia has two.

This has nothing to do with the nymber of world cups. This is the weakest Australian team I can remeber and is there for the taking. The Lions will win 3-0.

Dan Lydiate
    Gryire wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the nymber of world cups. This is the weakest Australian team I can remeber and is there for the taking. The Lions will win 3-0.

I'm by no means an Australian cheerleader, I just don't think they're as weak as some people think. Do you feel the close scoreline yesterday then was just because the Lions were shìte on the day, and Aussie got lucky?

Even if the Lions win 3-0, I won't be taking them lightly when they play my team, and from memory they take on Ireland in the Aviva in November, and I'm sure they won't be easybeats there either.

At the end of the day, the Lions have the best players from 4 countries to choose from, and slightly more time together than the Wallabies and are built around a Welsh core, so home advantage aside, they should be favourites I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

would love for 2 reasons if POC's tour isnt over.

1. he's a legend and we need him

2. would love Stephen Jones to look like a twat telling the world his tour was over when its not.

fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Dan Lydiate
    would love for 2 reasons if POC's tour isnt over.

1. he's a legend and we need him

2. would love Stephen Jones to look like a twat telling the world his tour was over when its not.

fingers crossed.

Yes, you can just imagine Jones with cellphone in 1 hand and something else in the other as he dangles out cryptic tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Wallabies by more than 7
    I genuinely cannot believe some of the criticism of Sexton's performance to be found further up the thread. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wallabies by more than 7
    I'm by no means an Australian cheerleader, I just don't think they're as weak as some people think. Do you feel the close scoreline yesterday then was just because the Lions were shìte on the day, and Aussie got lucky?

Even if the Lions win 3-0, I won't be taking them lightly when they play my team, and from memory they take on Ireland in the Aviva in November, and I'm sure they won't be easybeats there either.

At the end of the day, the Lions have the best players from 4 countries to choose from, and slightly more time together than the Wallabies and are built around a Welsh core, so home advantage aside, they should be favourites I guess.

I agree, I thought the Aussies would be weaker than they were. Place kicking an obvious problem, sort that & If POC is injured and 1 or 2 more, I fancy them to win the series.

Wallabies by more than 7
    Birroc wrote: »
    Interesting player ratings from Melbourne's The Age newspaper.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/player-ratings-british-and-irish-lions-20130622-2ooun.html[/QUOTE]

Agreed, always good to see it from the other side. 4 & 5's in there, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree, I thought the Aussies would be weaker than they were. Place kicking an obvious problem, sort that & If POC is injured and 1 or 2 more, I fancy them to win the series.

Were you not saying on another thread that Gatland has a winning formula and that he should change nothing? Yet here you are advocating an Australian series win if they sort their kicking

Pretty much a contradiction no?

Also, if you're saying about that the few 4 and 5 out of ten were awarded "rightly so" would that not also imply that your other opinion that nothing should be changed is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WarButton

Hippo wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot believe some of the criticism of Sexton's performance to be found further up the thread. Bizarre.

I think some people have sour grapes that after years of criticizing Sexton he is now the second best outhalf in the world and a Lions test starter. He's always seemed to draw in unnecessary criticism (George Hook anyone?) I've said it already but hes the most well rounded Irish outhalf I've seen play in 30 years. If he prolongs his career and continues playing this well with another tour as the starting Lions outhalf then he'll go down as possibly the greatest.

Wallabies by more than 7
    Were you not saying on another thread that Gatland has a winning formula and that he should change nothing? Yet here you are advocating an Australian series win if they sort their kicking

Pretty much a contradiction no?

The Aussies have impressed me, coupled with a few key injuries (POC), they can win. It's not about the Lions, if the Aussies play to their potential they will win regardless of what Gatland does.

The Aussies have impressed me, coupled with a few key injuries (POC), they can win. It's not about the Lions, if the Aussies play to their potential they will win regardless of what Gatland does.

Sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Do you get off on this mad statements or something? I notice you were advocating an easy 3-0 series win for the Lions on the back of Gatlands coaching two weeks ago

Wallabies by more than 7
    Sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Do you get off on this mad statements or something? I notice you were advocating an easy 3-0 series win for the Lions on the back of Gatlands coaching two weeks ago

As I said, the Aussies are a lot stronger than I thought, they have the better player imo.

As I said, the Aussies are a lot stronger than I thought, they have the better player imo.

They don't really, I'm struggling to think of any area they are stronger. Where do you think they are?

• Advertisement

Wallabies by more than 7
    They don't really, I'm struggling to think of any area they are stronger. Where do you think they are?

Compare Genia to Philips and come back to me.

Compare Genia to Philips and come back to me.

Ok, 9. That's one position out of 15 (and the Lions certainly have better options behind Phillips than the Wallabies do behind Genia), but bar that where else?

Lions have much more depth and quality at 10,15,14,11,13,12,5,4,2 imo

You can't say the Australians have better players then try and back it up with one player who is far superior than any other nine in world rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

How good was folau? Anyone remember his first game for the tahs at the start of the year? He was all over the place!! Really thought it was all hype then,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The have a far more threatening back-three to be fair, along with having one of the best players in the world at 9.

Wallabies by more than 7
    Ok, 9. That's one position out of 15 (and the Lions certainly have better options behind Phillips than the Wallabies do behind Genia), but bar that where else?

Lions have much more depth and quality at 10,15,14,11,13,12,5,4,2 imo

You can't say the Australians have better players then try and back it up with one player who is far superior than any other nine in world rugby

Good, we can finally agree on somthing.

Their backs are far more dangerous. And they've parity up front.

Good, we can finally agree on somthing.

There backs are far more dangerous. And they've parity up front.

Ok so start with the backs, which Australian players are better than the Lions backs ?

You said they have better players.... what players in the Australian squad are superior to their Lions counterparts? Can you actually answer that question because if you can't it's going to be very hard to take your opinion seriously in future

Don't try and dance around the point

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Oz have outstanding options and more depth in the back 3, but if we put out a back 3 of Halfpenny, North and Bowe Id rate it as good as anything Oz can put out, maybe not in terms of broken field running but overall I'd take that over almost any back 3 around.

Hagz wrote: »
    The have a far more threatening back-three to be fair, along with having one of the best players in the world at 9.

Agreed but Sexton at 10, North at 11 and now hopefully Bowe at 14 make the backlines more or less equal in terms of personnel imo

The Australians have a good backline but I find it rally odd to say that the Australians have better players than the Lions overall. The very nature of a Lions tour means more often or not the Lions will have more depth and quality on a lot of positions

Wallabies by more than 7
    Ok so start with the backs, which Australian players are better than the Lions backs ?

You said they have better players.... what players in the Australian squad are superior to their Lions counterparts? Can you actually answer that question because if you can't it's going to be very hard to take your opinion seriously in future

Don't try and dance around the point

Lol,,,I don't want you taking my opinion seriously.

• Advertisement

Lol,,,I don't want you taking my opinion seriously.

So you can't name any players on the Australian team (bar Genia) that are better? Despite saying that the Lions have inferior players?

Advertisement