Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lions by less than 7
    Where I come from, that is what teenage kids do at the back of the movie theatre :pac:
    I cannot condone the practices of teens 13,000 miles away in a heathen godless country ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tom McGurk (not usually one to talk much sense) made a good point on the radio earlier...

"How can we have a game where a referee in the southern hemisphere interprets the rules differently than a referee in the northern hemisphere?"

BOD is basically an extra back row forward on the pitch - today he was penalised for doing what he has done brilliantly for his career in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    Lelantos wrote: »
    I cannot condone the practices of teens 13,000 miles away in a heathen godless country ;)

Terrible place, Australia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He was a bit strict with Drico in the first 6 minutes, but maybe he said something about that to the teams before the game. We don't know.

Also, as I pointed out above for the 1st Oz try two things missed. But he got a lot absolute spot on that other refs would have missed.

He gave a bunch of very weird penalties against the Lions.

Another one that stands out was when they had a jackal over the ball and their number 8 was standing directly in front of him upright, obstructing, and then blocked Warburton who came to clear out the jackal.

Warburton went straight over to the ref who said "I didn't see it." How can you miss that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

durkadurka wrote: »
    Was gold 6 also in from the side?
    Yeah possibly. But I wouldn't quip if a ref didn't blow for that. The breakdown there was a bit messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He gave a bunch of very weird penalties against the Lions.

Another one that stands out was when they had a jackal over the ball and their number 8 was standing directly in front of him upright, obstructing, and then blocked Warburton who came to clear out the jackal.

Warburton went straight over to the ref who said "I didn't see it." How can you miss that?

Happily that is the last we'll see of Pollock. Joubert has reffed up this way a bit more so he might be more balanced. But then we will have the eccentric Mr Poite for the third so best to put it away next week.

Dan Lydiate
    First Up wrote: »
    Happily that is the last we'll see of Pollock. Joubert has reffed up this way a bit more so he might be more balanced. But then we will have the eccentric Mr Poite for the third so best to put it away next week.

It's a bit of an issue alright when the Lions play, as it eliminates a lot of the best referees. Aussie don't have any great ones, so that's no big loss. But surely Garces, Jackson, or even that Argentinian ref (can't remember his name, sorry) could be given a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's a bit of an issue alright when the Lions play, as it eliminates a lot of the best referees. Aussie don't have any great ones, so that's no big loss. But surely Garces, Jackson, or even that Argentinian ref (can't remember his name, sorry) could be given a shot.

It's a bit of a logistical nightmare in fairness with so many matches involving so many countries going on elsewhere. But it does seem that "neutrality" is taking precedence over competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nearly everything that could go the Lions way did today. they can count themselves lucky but a wins a win and they move on one game away from a series win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Lions by less than 7
    Strange how badly Phillips played today. It was like is was injured. He has to be dropped now.
    Thought Warburton was excellent, covered the ground, some great tackles.
    Roberts or Tuilagi should come in in and Davies on bench.
    Thought Croft did ok, would give him another chance.

Genia is class but he gets way too much respect or time on the ball.
    He should be creamed when he runs across the pitch inviting the runner.

I see Lions winning learning the lessons and winning the 2nd test. Aussies were unreal to nearly win it with so many injuries and the poor kicking but I think the Lions will get better and impose their gameplan on the next match. I would look to Sexton to look for the corners a lot more than he did today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Dan Lydiate
    Looking forward to Part Two of North v Israel Folau next week.

Dan Lydiate
    duckysauce wrote: »
    Looking forward to Part Two of North v Israel Folau next week.

Cheers duckysauce! Felt like I was watching Diehard or something with that music. If Adonis played rugby he would be called Folau, I reckon. Odds on some Japanese team (or Toulon) signing SBW & Folau?

I think I've actually run out of things to discuss about rugby LOL, so I might just go and read a book. Evening Gentlemen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Lions by less than 7
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Nearly everything that could go the Lions way did today. they can count themselves lucky but a wins a win and they move on one game away from a series win.

Except the referee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

even that Argentinian ref (can't remember his name, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wallabies by more than 7
    First Up wrote: »

Poite will be fine if we play him well. If we don't of course we're screwed. Gatland will also have to tell Paulie to stay a safe distance from him!

I'd like to think our lads will know him better than the Qantas lads so it may work in our favour. Still as BOD said afterwards it's easier to win it in two than it is in three.

The ref's performance today was the worst I've seen in a test match since the WC final...ahem...who is next week's referee again???!!!

Just on another questionable incident. What was the penalty against Heaslip for exactly? He came through the gate, went through the ruck, the ball was out, he picked it up and passed it to Vunipola. Why was it a penalty? Harrison and Barnes never really explained it on TV. The only thing I can think of is that the referee deemed he came in from the side, but that's not how it looked on TV at all. Of course if the ball was out then it wouldn't have mattered where he came from as long as it was from behind the offside line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kev2590

neilmulvey wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights there. If Gatland had any balls he would send Philips home for the way Philips jogged back after Genia in the build up to the first Aussie try. Absolutely disgraceful. Should have been a penalty the other way for Moore side entry.

I was quite surprised that this wasnt mentioned more in the aftermath of the game. Philips effort to get back was really terrible!

Wallabies by more than 7

The injuries went the Lions way, or rather they counted against Australia, but a lot of other stuff went against the Lions.

And actually in a funny way having both Hooper and Gill on the pitch at the same time served the Australians quite well at the breakdown. Plus Beale is a better FB than Barnes and that nearly told in the end, although I think everybody in the world knew that Beale was better anyway.

I wouldn't want to pick on one player but I do feel that a lot of the Lions problems today originated from the scrum half.

Except the referee

Outside of the breakdown he wasn't overly bad. And he did miss BODs block for Cuthberts try so it goes both ways.
    Add to that the Aussie kickers having a horror show, Beale slipping, 3 Aussie backs getting injured with 2 more taking bangs, and having to play a back row at centre I think that most of the breaks went their way.

Wallabies by more than 7
    And he did miss BODs block for Cuthberts try so it goes both ways.

But he didn't. He saw it and referred it to the TMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Lions by less than 7
    Outside of the breakdown he wasn't overly bad. And he did miss BODs block for Cuthberts try so it goes both ways.

He went to the TMO for that I think and TMO saw nothing in it.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    But he didn't. He saw it and referred it to the TMO.

Pretty **** decision either way, my point is the Lions got the majority of the breaks today and anyone who thinks they didn't really needs to take the red tinted glasses off.
    Say what you like losing 3 backs and having two more suffer bangs gave the lions an advantage.
    Beale slipped during a kick he would have gotten to win the game.
    Take the breaks when they come as it could be the other way round next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pretty **** decision either way, my point is the Lions got the majority of the breaks today and anyone who thinks they didn't really needs to take the red tinted glasses off.
    Say what you like losing 3 backs and having two more suffer bangs gave the lions an advantage.

I think we generally got the breaks but the Aussies had their chances and failed to take them. It's basically the 2nd test in 09 in reverse so I'm not going to be losing sleep over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Lions by less than 7
    Add to that the Aussie kickers having a horror show, Beale slipping, 3 Aussie backs getting injured with 2 more taking bangs, and having to play a back row at centre I think that most of the breaks went their way.

A kicker having a horror show doesn't count as a 'break' IMO. It's part of the game. You could just as equally say that Phillips having a nightmare and Genia playing well was a 'break' that went the Ausies way

The injuries were unfortunate, but neither the Aussies, nor the South Africans or Kiwis, would be crying for the Lions if the situation was reversed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Not sure if this has been postes already, but Johnny Sexton comes in for high praise in The Guardian

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jun/22/george-north-jonathan-sexton-lions

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think we generally got the breaks but the Aussies had their chances and failed to take them. It's basically the 2nd test in 09 in reverse so I'm not going to be losing sleep over it

I think nearly Australia's biggest loss was Christian Lealiifano's boot. He was injured after 30 seconds and he was going to be the Australian place kicker from what I've heard which might be part of the reason they (and James O Connor/Kurtley Beale) blew a fair number of chances.

A kicker having a horror show doesn't count as a 'break' IMO. It's part of the game. You could just as equally say that Phillips having a nightmare and Genia playing well was a 'break' that went the Ausies way

The injuries were unfortunate, but neither the Aussies, nor the South Africans or Kiwis, would be crying for the Lions if the situation was reversed

Lealiifano was going to be the kicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lions by less than 7
    LowOdour wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been postes already, but Johnny Sexton comes in for high praise in The Guardian

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jun/22/george-north-jonathan-sexton-lions

I'm guessing Sextons agent was consulted with that one. He was ok, but nothing more imo

Wallabies by more than 7

Oh yeah, we definitely benefitted from their injuries.

As for Cuthbert's try I think the TMO got it right (and for what it's worth so did Australian TV).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wallabies by more than 7
    Referee was v poor today. For the first Wallaby try I dont know why ODriscoll was penalised. He dived on the ball and then Moore came over the top. Heaslip's penalty was another strange call. For me he came straight through and was entitled to compete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Don't think it was O'Driscoll who was penalised, his support dived into the rook is what Pollock indicated.

Advertisement