Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wallabies by more than 7
    Welsh forums saying Heaslip had a stinker and that BOD should be dropped. It's not even one or two of them. Of course I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that the immediate beneficiaries would be Welsh.

You could read different MBs and get a completely different take on todays game.

Anyway for me the two best players were probably English in Corbisiero and Youngs. AWJ was excellent and Sexton controlled things very effectively.

Next week's team will hopefully read...

15 Halfpenny, 14 Bowe, 13 O'Driscoll, 12 Roberts, 11 North, 10 Sexton, 9 Phillips (giving him the benefit of the doubt)

1 Corbisiero, 2 Youngs, 3 Jones, 4 AWJ, 5 O'Connell, 6 Lydiate, 7 Warburton, 8 Heaslip

Bench - Hibbard, Vunipola, Cole, Parling, O'Brien, Youngs, Farrell, Cuthbert/Maitland/Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Cummins and joc would be a very fast centre partnership.... Both are equally comfortable on the wing
    From the current squad the Waratahs Rob Horne is a genuine centre. Otherwise someone would need a call-up from outside the squad. Dont think Cummins is a FB, no.

They have so many back 3 players its unreal....

Alot will depend if their 12 can recover for next week, still struggling for a 13 though....

Cooper at 10 JOC at 12 would be asking for Roberts/Tuilagi to run riot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

There isn't a 13 in squad capable of defending like BOD did today. Some of the tackles he made we outstanding

One in the first few minutes out wide stands out

Just so we're clear, I will pretty much thank every single one of your posts based on your username alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

bilston wrote: »
    Welsh forums saying Heaslip had a stinker and that BOD should be dropped. It's not even one or two of them. Of course I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that the immediate beneficiaries would be Welsh.

You could read different MBs and get a completely different take on todays game.

Anyway for me the two best players were probably English in Corbisiero and Youngs. AWJ was excellent and Sexton controlled things very effectively.

Next week's team will hopefully read...

15 Halfpenny, 14 Bowe, 13 O'Driscoll, 12 Roberts, 11 North, 10 Sexton, 9 Phillips (giving him the benefit of the doubt)

1 Corbisiero, 2 Youngs, 3 Jones, 4 AWJ, 5 O'Connell, 6 Lydiate, 7 Warburton, 8 Heaslip

Bench - Hibbard, Vunipola, Cole, Parling, O'Brien, Youngs, Farrell, Cuthbert/Maitland/Kearney

You've the nutters on a certain Irish forum saying similar.

Corbs, Youngs and AWJ were excellent for me, thought Sexton could have exerted a little more control, but played well overall.

No real bad performances on the Lions side, Davies impressed me too, but would have Roberts back in at 12 in a heartbeat. Will he be fit though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Wallabies do not have any real depth in the centres, Horne is the next available player. He is solid but that is about it, nothing special about him. The next centre in line after him would most likely be Faingaa, and while he works hard he is not that effective in attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Imagine if they called up Kyle Godwin. I'd love it. Future star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Lions by less than 7

No real bad performances on the Lions side, Davies impressed me too, but would have Roberts back in at 12 in a heartbeat. Will he be fit though?

If Roberts isn't, Tuilagi will be, and I'd see him starting over Davies next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

IInteresting call. a half fit Roberts or fully fit Davies???

Think I'd lean toward Roberts, even at half pace he is a beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Wallabies do not have any real depth in the centres, Horne is the next available player. He is solid but that is about it, nothing special about him. The next centre in line after him would most likely be Faingaa, and while he works hard he is not that effective in attack.

JOC also. Hasn't Cummins played 13 a bit? It's unlikely that all of Barnes, AAC, McCabe, Lilo will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

JOC also. Hasn't Cummins played 13 a bit? It's unlikely that all of Barnes, AAC, McCabe, Lilo will be out.

Completely forgot Cummins played in the centre. Lealiifano is meant to be fit, they do not seem to be too worried about him. So if Lealiifano is fit it would be Horne most likely beside him. I can see JOC back at 10 next week, Deans will think that JOC was unlucky that Lealiifano went off and will probably think he will more settled next week with him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Dan Lydiate
    13 never gets discussed in Australia because AAC is accepted to be nailed on, but most seem to agree he has a dislocated shoulder so obviously he will be out if true. Godwin is more of a 12, as is Horne and every other non-Faingaa/Kuridrani option. The centres in the squad are Horne, Lilo, McCabe and AAC. You'd imagine McCabe will be sent in to do a job at 13 and Lilo at 12 if healthy, Horne on the bench, Horne to start if Lilo is out. As for Barnes, if he's gone, and it looks like it, they can bring Beale in straight swap or shake things up with Beale at 10, JOC on wing and Folau at FB.

Unfortunately I don't see Deans bringing in one of the many good Australian players from outside of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wallabies by more than 7
    Hagz wrote: »
    Well on another day he would have made two turnovers in the first 15mins, and maybe a few more if he wasn't worried about giving away penalties.

The whole back-line didn't get much opportunities to fire. Between Sexton's up and unders and Mike Phillips glory runs, the ball wasn't spread wide too often iirc

In fairness to Sexton, the service he got was terrible. Phillips just seemed to slow down tonight. Daives-BOD just didn't seem to work. Davies will probably end up outside the squad, for which I feel sorry for as he has had a good tour and worse players will make the squad but needs must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Not sure how anyone could say Heaslip had a stinker, he dislodged two balls in the tackle, held up an Aussie player for a turnover, dragged another into touch at full pelt. Carried well and linked up nicely with the backs too

Not to mention he made 10 tackles and missed none

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Went the whole day without watching game and just finished watching it.

Without going all the way back through the thread, am I the only one who thought Hibbards hooking when he came on was awful. Heaslip didn't see the ball in the scrum Genia took 5m out and at the very end! It was awful.

Lions were lucky. They didn't deserve it but I didn't think the Boks deserved the second test last time. The ref was awful but that is from a northern hemisphere perspective.

Folau vs North is worth the Sky subscription alone. They should bill the game as Folau v North instead of Australia vs Lions

There didn't seem to be a lot of ball going to Davies. I'd imagine if Roberts is half fit Gatland would start him. He really wants to play a power game and Roberts is vital to that. I'd like to see Bowe come in for Cuthbert despite a good try.

Alu Wyn Jones, North, and Heaslip stood out for me. Sexton wasnt great but he showed some class touches. Phillips was awful. Youngs/Murray for me

The Lions won't get off that easy next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

anybody know where i can watch the match online or even highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Should be a 15 min highlights video a few pages back

There isn't a 13 in squad capable of defending like BOD did today. Some of the tackles he made we outstanding

One in the first few minutes out wide stands out

His tackling was great (I said that) but although it's a massive part of his game it's not the reason he's the greatest centre in the world. If we want a tackler we can put Brad Barritt in.

Bottom line is he carried for fewer yards than anyone behind the scrum and in attack had a really quiet game. Only a fool would drop him (like I also said, most of it wasn't his fault) but I can see why his rating wasn't high. Davies made a similar number of tackles according to ESPN although stats aren't everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Dan Lydiate
    Beano wrote: »
    anybody know where i can watch the match online or even highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7
    Australia 21-23 British Loins - comprehensive match report and player ratings:

Post deleted. Most of it was fairly bad taste IMO, not in spirit of the Rugby Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

His tackling was great (I said that) but although it's a massive part of his game it's not the reason he's the greatest centre in the world. If we want a tackler we can put Brad Barritt in.

Bottom line is he carried for fewer yards than anyone behind the scrum and in attack had a really quiet game. Only a fool would drop him (like I also said, most of it wasn't his fault) but I can see why his rating wasn't high. Davies made a similar number of tackles according to ESPN although stats aren't everything.

You have to include his organisation and leadership as well. I thought he was everywhere. Inconceivable to me that you would go into a test without him. Potentially three (serious) options at 12; Roberts, Tuilagi and Davies. Not sure I mind which.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Just watched the highlights there. If Gatland had any balls he would send Philips home for the way Philips jogged back after Genia in the build up to the first Aussie try. Absolutely disgraceful. Should have been a penalty the other way for Moore side entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

duckysauce wrote: »

The penalty at 1:56 he gives against the Lions for going off their feet. Gold 6 makes no effort to stay on their feet and just prior to that there's a knock on from Gold 5. Two offenses from Gold missed and instead they get a penalty and score 7 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    I hope WOC or similar do one of their detailed analyses of the ref. No doubt he got some calls wrong, but in the cold light of day, I personally would appreciate a detailed review. However, that takes a lot of work, and I'm definitely not volunteering myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

neilmulvey wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights there. If Gatland had any balls he would send Philips home for the way Philips jogged back after Genia in the build up to the first Aussie try. Absolutely disgraceful. Should have been a penalty the other way for Moore side entry.

At the time I thought he was injured but then he played on so I can only assume it was sheer laziness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lions by less than 7
    At the time I thought he was injured but then he played on so I can only assume it was sheer laziness

I posted at the time & thought it showed a lack of commitment, must be the old Munster need for commitment & pashun getting the better of me ;)

Dan Lydiate
    neilmulvey wrote: »

I guess you have to give Deans credit for doing a number on Phillips. It was one tactic Aussie got spot on. I'm still in awe of Genia. I'm happy to say now he's the best scrumhalf ever I've had the pleasure to watch. He replaces Joost van der Westhuizen in that regard, with mention too for Farr-Jones & Gregan.

Even JT in the IT pointed out the Lions didn't seem to be able to get to Genia.

TBH, Phillips had a blinder in the 6N decider and the HK match, but otherwise his form in the last 12 months or so has been average at best.

Will be surprised if WG disowns him now though.

Dan Lydiate
    Lelantos wrote: »
    I posted at the time & thought it showed a lack of commitment, must be the old Munster need for commitment & pashun getting the better of me ;)

Where I come from, that is what teenage kids do at the back of the movie theatre :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The penalty at 1:56 he gives against the Lions for going off their feet. Gold 6 makes no effort to stay on their feet and just prior to that there's a knock on from Gold 5. Two offenses from Gold missed and instead they get a penalty and score 7 points.

Was gold 6 also in from the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I hope WOC or similar do one of their detailed analyses of the ref. No doubt he got some calls wrong, but in the cold light of day, I personally would appreciate a detailed review. However, that takes a lot of work, and I'm definitely not volunteering myself!

He was a bit strict with Drico in the first 6 minutes, but maybe he said something about that to the teams before the game. We don't know.

Also, as I pointed out above for the 1st Oz try two things missed. But he got a lot absolute spot on that other refs would have missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lions by less than 7
    I enjoyed the game but I was disappointed that despite all the Aussie injuries the result was so close. It was worth watching for George North's epic try - if nothing else. The Lions were lucky that James O'Connor had a very bad day at the office, that Kurtley Beale slipped and that Leigh Halfpenny was up to his usual incredible standard.

Advertisement