Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's beliefs - give and take? Or loose the hounds of atheism?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I do have trouble with your statement that you have no investment in Catholicism when you make statements like 'The root causes of the Irish famine were in the two centuries before 1845 when land ownership by the Catholic Irish dropped from 95% to 10%.' which implies that had Catholic ownership remained at 95% none of the subsequent events would have happened.

That's not my implication, but let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's a 'leek'?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

endacl wrote: »
    What's a 'leek'?

Well, according to Dr Samuel Johnson:
    Leek (Noun): A long, thin, Welsh tomato.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

endacl wrote: »
    What's a 'leek'?

It's what's happening in my mother's downstairs toilet. She has a bucket under the leek to catch the drips but it's gotten so bad she had to empty the bucket every morning and she's old like. Have arranged for the whole toilet to be replaced but the plumber can't get to her before next week as apparently this is a good year for leeks.

It is also a Welsh daffodil which belongs to someone named Peter*....

*the Welsh for daffodil is Cenhinen Pedr or Peter’s Leek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Look it up on wikileeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

nagirrac wrote: »
    [...] I am a Republican, so I cherish the rights of all the nations' people equally whether Catholic, Protestant, dissenter or whatever.
    Leeks aside, what sense of "Republican" do you mean?

I'm asking since I can't think of too many people or polities -- the Vatican and certain mullah-controlled states aside -- who believe, in theory, that membership of one religion or another should confer additional rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah but in Ireland, being non-sectarian is unusual enough to merit mention :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

robindch wrote: »
    Leeks aside, what sense of "Republican" do you mean?

I'm asking since I can't think of too many people or polities -- the Vatican and certain mullah-controlled states aside -- who believe, in theory, that membership of one religion or another should confer additional rights.

Not trying to be smart but you have heard of the UK right? Where the head of state is required to be COE, where the COE and no other religion get to appoint I believe 20 members to the House of Lords that vote on legislation .. or what about the UK state Northern Ireland a "Protestant state for a protestant people" that was stil maintained after a civil rights movement and cost the lives of 4000+ before rights were granted to all.

The sense of Republican I mean is one who is opposed to this type of sectarian form of government.. and yes that includes the Irish Republic which got a lot right but got one big
    thing wrong in granting a "special" status to the RCC.

Advertisement