Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's beliefs - give and take? Or loose the hounds of atheism?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

nagirrac wrote: »
    ah, the English haute cuisine version rather than the Irish peasant dish;)

On a more serious note I have nothing against kale. There's a lovely simple Portuguese soup I make called Caldo Verde with kale and a good chorizo or linguica. Sautéed onions potatoes and garlic, a nice vegetable stock, and then add the kale and sausages, serious nom nom nom.

Who mentioned English?

Tsk tsk Nagirric - we had a Victorian era in Ireland too. ;)

No - it's not a Mrs Beaton's take 7 stone of butter, a partridge and 3 scullery maids cookbook. It was an 1853 collection of pre-Famine Irish recipes by county- even had one for Cork's traditional Spiced Beef - gathered by an Irish antiquarian foodie in case they were lost to posterity.

Sadly, the book is not mine and it resides in the Highlands of Scotland with the lucky sod who bought a box of misc. books at an auction and found that little goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Did Scotland have a Victorian era too?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Tsk tsk Nagirric - we had a Victorian era in Ireland too. ;)

Some had. Very few in Ireland would have noticed a Victorian era Bannasidhe, or had access to leeks for that matter ;). The vast majority of the population would have been trying to survive off their meager potato crop, while the leeks and all the other food produce were exported by greedy absentee landlords. A shameful episode in British history.

endacl wrote: »
    Did Scotland have a Victorian era too?!?

Yes. They even had it in Wales.
    Some had. Very few in Ireland would have noticed a Victorian era Bannasidhe, or had access to leeks for that matter ;). The vast majority of the population would have been trying to survive off their meager potato crop, while the leeks and all the other food produce were exported by greedy absentee landlords. A shameful episode in British history.

Ummm not really. I know that is what is taught in schools and is in the popular culture version of Irish history but...surprise surprise...it's not quite accurate.

Plenty of Irish living in Ireland were doing very well for themselves in the Victorian era. What we did have was a large (c4 million out of total pop. of c 8 million) peasant population living at subsistence levels. We also had a thriving middle class who would have been very aware of leeks and other non tuber relation vegetables. Or do you think every single lawyer, teacher, accountant, engineer, doctor, dentist, academic, merchant, large farmer etc were English?

We even had very rich Irish people - like those O'Connells in Kerry.

Ummm not really. I know that is what is taught in schools and is in the popular culture version of Irish history but...surprise surprise...it's not quite accurate.

Plenty of Irish living in Ireland were doing very well for themselves in the Victorian era. What we did have was a large (c4 million out of total pop. of c 8 million) peasant population living at subsistence levels. We also had a thriving middle class who would have been very aware of leeks and other non tuber relation vegetables. Or do you think every single lawyer, teacher, accountant, engineer, doctor, dentist, academic, merchant, large farmer etc were English?

..and why were 4M living at subsistence levels? Could it have anything to do with the fact that for most of the preceding 3 centuries Irish Catholics were prohibited from owning land, from leasing land, from voting, from education, from entering professions, .. and of course prohibited from living near a town so the ruling class wouldn't actually have to look at them.

Whoever those lawyers, teachers, and other professionals you listed were, they were not Catholics (who made up 80% of the population), as no Catholics were allowed enter a profession before Catholic emancipation in 1829. The thriving middle class would have been almost exclusively Protestant, who would have regarded the indigenous Catholic Irish in much the same way as their peers on the mainland i.e. animals.

If we can't rely on the Irish version of history, what should we trust? .. the British version? Its revisionist nonsense, in an attempt to try and absolve both the British and their middlemen landlord class in Ireland from responsibility for Ireland's holocaust.

• Advertisement

..and why were 4M living at subsistence levels? Could it have anything to do with the fact that for most of the preceding 3 centuries Irish Catholics were prohibited from owning land, from leasing land, from voting, from education, from entering professions, .. and of course prohibited from living near a town so the ruling class wouldn't actually have to look at them.

Whoever those lawyers, teachers, and other professionals you listed were, they were not Catholics (who made up 80% of the population), as no Catholics were allowed enter a profession before Catholic emancipation in 1829. The thriving middle class would have been almost exclusively Protestant, who would have regarded the indigenous Catholic Irish in much the same way as their peers on the mainland i.e. animals.

If we can't rely on the Irish version of history, what should we trust? .. the British version? Its revisionist nonsense, in an attempt to try and absolve both the British and their middlemen landlord class in Ireland from responsibility for Ireland's holocaust.

Oh go and read the State papers and educate yourself and stop with the bloody Catholic church's official pseudo-history.

Oh go and read the State papers and educate yourself and stop with the bloody Catholic church's official pseudo-history.
    Finally! Debate! We're done with food!

It had to happen...

A sure sign you know I am right and your argument is built on sand when you have to resort to ad hominum. I am educated well enough on Irish history, to the extend I can see through revisionist horse manure when I see it.

Did the Catholic church invent the Penal Laws and the Cromwellian conquest? Do you believe all those indigenous Irish willingly gave up their land?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Finally! Debate! We're done with food!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    But not with popcorn!

A sure sign you know I am right and your argument is built on sand when you have to resort to ad hominum. I am educated well enough on Irish history, to the extend I can see through revisionist horse manure when I see it.

Did the Catholic church invent the Penal Laws and the Cromwellian conquest? Do you believe all those indigenous Irish willingly gave up their land?

*sigh*

Seriously, I am so sick of hearing the creationist version of Irish history.

I obviously know enough about Irish history to be employed as a lecturer in Irish history by an Irish university and I say you are not 'educated well enough ' to see through the horse manure you have been fed.

That is not an ad hom - that is a fact.

If you think I am wrong - go and read the State Papers of the time and prove me wrong.

• Advertisement

*sigh*

Seriously, I am so sick of hearing the creationist version of Irish history.

I obviously know enough about Irish history to be employed as a lecturer in Irish history by an Irish university and I say you are not 'educated well enough ' to see through the horse manure you have been fed.

That is not an ad hom - that is a fact.

If you think I am wrong - go and read the State Papers of the time and prove me wrong.

Appeal to authority. I have never questioned your education, you are the one who is questioning mine.

I don't need to read the state papers, as fortunately there are historians who have done this for me and written extensively on the subject. As you well know there are more than one set of opinions regarding Irish history. Historians differ greatly on interpretation of Irish history. The two major camps as you well know are the traditional view (what you call pseudo-history) and the revisionist view (or neo-colonial as Peter Berresford Ellis calls them).

In case of any doubt, I am firmly in the traditional camp. I believe that Ireland had a moral right to strive for its independence from an imperial power, including using violence where necessary, in the same way that the British people would have had such a right had the Nazis won WWII and occupied England for example. No amount of revisionist imperialist ass licking, mainly from Irish authors like Conor Cruise O'Brien, Garrett Fitzgerald, and Ruth Dudley Edwards, changes that right.

All historians are generally dealing with the same facts, they differ in interpretation. When it comes to Irish history, I greatly respect Peter Berresford Ellis and Christine Kinealy (both English ironically) any day over neo-colonist apologists. Dr. Kinealy's "The Great Calamity" is in my opinion the best and most balanced work on the Irish famine. Naturally the revisionists hate it as she dares to point the finger at those who were responsible.

Appeal to authority. I have never questioned your education, you are the one who is questioning mine.

I don't need to read the state papers, as fortunately there are historians who have done this for me and written extensively on the subject. As you well know there are more than one set of opinions regarding Irish history. Historians differ greatly on interpretation of Irish history. The two major camps as you well know are the traditional view (what you call pseudo-history) and the revisionist view (or neo-colonial as Peter Berresford Ellis calls them).

In case of any doubt, I am firmly in the traditional camp. I believe that Ireland had a moral right to strive for its independence from an imperial power, including using violence where necessary, in the same way that the British people would have had such a right had the Nazis won WWII and occupied England for example. No amount of revisionist imperialist ass licking, mainly from Irish authors like Conor Cruise O'Brien, Garrett Fitzgerald, and Ruth Dudley Edwards, changes that right.

All historians are generally dealing with the same facts, they differ in interpretation. When it comes to Irish history, I greatly respect Peter Berresford Ellis and Christine Kinealy (both English ironically) any day over neo-colonist apologists. Dr. Kinealy's "The Great Calamity" is in my opinion the best and most balanced work on the Irish famine. Naturally the revisionists hate it as she dares to point the finger at those who were responsible.

Did I deny there was a famine? No.
    Did I deny that a great deal of the culpability lay with Westminster? No.
    Did I in anyway act as an apologist for either Imperialism or Colonialism? No.
    Did I make any reference to Irish independence? No.

What I did do was state that there was an Irish Catholic middle-class alive and well during the Victorian period who were doing rather well for themselves. A fact you seem to dispute...

Do you really believe every single Irish Catholic was a peasant surviving on lumper potatoes on some 1/4 acre during the entire Victorian period?

Not one single Irish Catholic enrolled in any of the Queen's Universities when they opened in 1849? Strange as their very purpose was to provide 3rd level education to those Catholics excluded from Trinity.

Or that not one single Irish Catholic bum graced a seat in first class on the Dublin to Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) railway from 1834 when it opened to 1901 when Victoria died?

Or that none of the tourist's travelling on the Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway which formed it's primary market since the day it began in 1851 were Irish Catholics?

You can be in any camp you wish to be in. Personally I prefer to simply look at the facts and ignore the rhetoric.

Tread softly, for you tread on our myths...

Our myths have trampled us for long enough.

True dat.

What I did do was state that there was an Irish Catholic middle-class alive and well during the Victorian period who were doing rather well for themselves. A fact you seem to dispute...

Do you really believe every single Irish Catholic was a peasant surviving on lumper potatoes on some 1/4 acre during the entire Victorian period?

You can be in any camp you wish to be in. Personally I prefer to simply look at the facts and ignore the rhetoric.

You were the one who said the popular culture version of Irish history taught in Irish schools is inaccurate. What used to be taught in Irish schools, in my day at least, was the traditional view, that Ireland had a right to self determination and that Ireland's fight for independence was morally justified. As for rhetoric, you are the one using terms like "creationist" and "pseudo history". Are the accounts by the two authors I mentioned, Berresford Ellis and Kinealy, in this category?

Specifically, what aspects of traditional Irish history do you find so repulsive as to call it pseudo history?

I am not disputing that an Irish Catholic middle class existed in the later Victorian period. After Catholic Emancipation in 1829 some Catholics could actually go to University and qualify to work professionally in their own country. They could even vote, although as we saw in 1918 that was meaningless, unless they voted the right way.

They're not myths endacl, they're historical facts ;).

The Irish revisionist movement gained prominence in the late 60s and early 70s after the NI "troubles" began. It became difficult for many of those in the Republic to deal with the issues in Northern Ireland and reconcile it with their traditional history. As Colm Toibin said "revisionism is precisely what our state needed when the North blew up and we joined the EC, in order to isolate Northern Ireland from us and our history, and improve relations with Britain. Foster (Roy Foster, author of Modern Ireland, 1600 - 1972) and his fellow historians became more useful, not for its truth, but for its politics".

That's the honest assessment of the myth versus history debate as it relates to Irish history, uncomfortable as it may be. Modern day Ireland is unfortunately one of the few countries where people seem embarrassed by their history, when they have much to be proud of. In somewhat typical Irish begrudging fashion, while those that fought for basic human rights are recognized around the world, sadly we would prefer to forget about them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A sure sign you know I am right and your argument is built on sand when you have to resort to ad hominum. I am educated well enough [...]
    Bannasidhe's reply was not an ad hominem, since it did not refer to a person, you or anybody else, but rather the extent of your knowledge of Irish History.

And even if an ad hominem were delivered -- in which case it would likely be subject to a moderator's cluestick -- the presence of one does not imply that the insulter believes the insultee is right, nor does it imply anything concerning the geological nature of the foundations of the insulter's argument.

You were the one who said the popular culture version of Irish history taught in Irish schools is inaccurate. What used to be taught in Irish schools, in my day at least, was the traditional view, that Ireland had a right to self determination and that Ireland's fight for independence was morally justified. As for rhetoric, you are the one using terms like "creationist" and "pseudo history". Are the accounts by the two authors I mentioned, Berresford Ellis and Kinealy, in this category?

Specifically, what aspects of traditional Irish history do you find so repulsive as to call it pseudo history?

I am not disputing that an Irish Catholic middle class existed in the later Victorian period. After Catholic Emancipation in 1829 Catholics could actually go to University and qualify to work professionally in their own country. They could even vote, although as we saw in 1918 that was meaningless, unless they voted the right way.

They were inaccurate which is why in this day they are no longer used.

You disputed Irish people would know what leeks were ffs - that's what started this whole rigmarole off!

Not once did I comment on any aspect of Irish independence so you can stop brandishing that particular flag.

I made a simple comment about getting a recipe from a book of traditional Irish pre-famine recipes published in Ireland by an Irish antiquarian and off you went on one about Irish independence and starving peasants and perfidious Albion and revisionism all the while claiming the Irish didn't know what a fecking leek was.

Irish Catholic families who could afford to send their Irish Catholic sons to University in Ireland when the famine was hardly ended not only knew what leeks were - the were most likely using domestic servants to cook the leeks for them during the blasted famine. Servants whose wages were being cut (times were hard after all and 'everyone' had to make sacrifices) but for whom unemployment really could lead to starvation so they had no choice but to suck it up.

A quick look at the 1850 census (what remains of it anyway) will show the existence of Irish Catholics living in des-res areas with domestic servants a.k.a a 'middle class'.

You may not like it.

It may not fit in with what you were taught in school. It's what I was taught in school too. Then one day I had to prepare a series of lectures on Ireland in the 19th century so I went and read the primary sources and lo and behold what did I find....

I found that what they taught us in school was a big old romanticised fib about an entire country composed of Irish Catholic starving peasants being downtrodden by English overseers like Boycott who were intent squeezing every last drop out of them to fund absentee landlords who were gambling it all away in London.

Yes- people died. People died in poverty of starvation and disease - mostly of the latter. But do not fool yourself that Irish Catholic merchants and Irish Catholic officials did not make money out of the misery. Or that the Irish Catholic middle class embraced the starving peasants, threw their doors open and emptied their larders into the hands of the hungry. Did they F'uck.

Some did. Most closed their doors and tutted about the problems with the poor - they were uneducated, why most of them couldn't even speak English! They had no skills bar farming. They had far too many children even for Catholics.
    They were peasants and they were poor and the majority of the Irish middle classes gave no more thought to their welfare than their Russian equivalents did to the serfs or the English did to the factory workers.

Yes - there were some landlords who were complete b'tards. But they were not across the whole country. Or even the majority.

There were also landlords like the Gore-Booths who nearly went bankrupt trying to alleviate the situation and one of this 'English' protestant family actually did fight for Irish independence.

Then there is the curious case of the O'Connells in Kerry - Irish Catholics who could afford to send someone to university in France - but how when the Penal Laws were in force and, according to what we were taught in school, Irish Catholics were not even allowed to own a decent horse never mind have the financial resources to fund an overseas university education?

So where did the money for Daniel's education come from?
    From his uncle Maurice O Connell in whose honour Daniel named his eldest son Maurice. That Maurice O'Connell was an MP all during the Famine. Bet he knew what a leek looked like. Maybe not raw, but certainly cooked. Although he was more of a hookers and Claret man.
    In fact - all of the Great Emancipator's son were MPs ...

Where did the money his younger brother James used to lease Muckross House and later build Lakeview House come from?

If Irish Catholics were not allowed access to wealth or power how did James O'Connell end up with 18,000 acres and become the Baronet of Lakeview and of Ballybeggan? A title he held during the Famine.

Or let us consider William Smith O'Brien of the Young Irelanders- born in Dromoland castle to Sir Edward O'Brien and brother of Lucius O'Brien, 13th Baron Inchiquin, descendant of Brian Boru and the Earls of Thomond - does he count as Irish? He fought for Irish independence.

I don't think anyone can dispute the 'Irish' credentials of the O'Briens of Thomond yet Lucius O'Brien as at various time a Tory MP, Lord Lieutenant of Clare and a representative peer for Ireland in the House of Lords..but then he was a Protestant.

Did this make him not Irish???

He was right up there among the elite, sitting in the house of Lords in his ermine robes deriving his wealth from his large estate in Ireland - like his father and his father's father and his father's father's father and his father's father's father's father before him...plus a few more fathers going back about 1,000 years.

The facts just don't fit in with the 'we were all poor starving Irish Catholic tenant farmers' myth that passes for the history of the Victorian period in Ireland.
    A myth that is as accurate as the 'sure we all paaaartied' myth is of our current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

An earlier example of a (relatively, at least) wealthy Irish catholic was Edmund Rice.

They had to teach us about him in school, because it was a christian brothers school...

BTW they have this fine product available in the US. No longer connected with the order...

20110609christianbrothersbrandy.jpg

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/06/drinking-the-bottom-shelf-christian-brothers-vs-brandy.html

In fact - all of the Great Emancipator's son were MPs ...

The Irish 'political dynasty' is nothing new!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    BTW they have this fine product available in the US. No longer connected with the order...

20110609christianbrothersbrandy.jpg

FM I use that for cooking! great call. Cant beat it for $7 for a 750ml bottle, I've even had a swig a few times while in a bit of a state and its not that bad. One great thing about the US is cheap booze, a great selection of beers around $1/bottle.

You disputed Irish people would know what leeks were ffs - that's what started this whole rigmarole off!

The facts just don't fit in with the 'we were all poor starving Irish Catholic tenant farmers' myth that passes for the history of the Victorian period in Ireland.

A myth that is as accurate as the 'sure we all paaaartied' myth is of our current situation.

Are we back full circle to leeks? :D I stand by my assertion that most Irish would have not known a leek in the mid 19th century, especially given that when I left Ireland in the late 1980s not many would even then.. ffs, it was onions, carrots, parsnips, potatoes and cabbage, that was it.

Bannasidhe, I am a Republican, so I cherish the rights of all the nations' people equally whether Catholic, Protestant, dissenter or whatever. You know, that document the founding fathers of the Irish Republic stuck on the door of the GPO, and has been desecrated by so many of their so called followers. Although you may have read it into my post, I make no distinction between Catholic or Protestant aristocrats, they are all the same and will go to any lengths to protect their privilege.

I wouldn't call the Catholics you mentioned middle class, they were aristocrats. They would have been left alone by the British because not alone were they no threat, they were very useful in keeping the Irish in check (especially Daniel O'Connell). Protestant or Catholic aristocrats, with very few exceptions, had very little interest in the fate of those beneath them, a colonialist mindset.. and as you point out both were just as culpable as Westminster for the decimation of a population. Of all the facts relating to the great famine, the fact that food exports continued at the same rate during the years of the famine is the most damning.. and yes, disease killed more than starvation, but starving people do tend to be prone to disease. Of all the primary sources available form the time, I would tend to agree with the Earl of Clarendon who defined the British governments actions at the time as leading to "a policy of extermination".

History is surely the search for the truth regarding what happened in times before our own. The challenge with historians is what facts they chose to report, or ignore, and the spin they put on it. I know you don't like that statement but that's the reality. Roy Foster is the worst Irish historian in my opinion for leaving out facts that dont fit his "version" of Irish history. In that regard the statement "we were all poor starving Catholic tenant farmers" is far closer to the truth than "sure weren't their rich Catholics as well and they ate leeks". Of course there were rich Irish Catholics (and I did learn about them in history class in school, all of the ones you mentioned), but the vast majority of Irish in the centuries prior to and up to the years of the famine were extremely poor in an extremely rich in resources country, and disproportionately Catholic. In truth nobody knows, other than roughly, how many Irish died in the famine, or emigrated, or died in the attempt to emigrate.

.. and for the record, "sure we all partied" is closer to the truth than anything else that can be said about the economic situation in Ireland, its just another uncomfortable truth. As a frequent visitor to Ireland before, during, and after the boom, it was obvious to anyone with even a smidgen of economics that Ireland was in a massive real estate bubble and it was merely a matter of time before it burst. The population by and large were led by their noses by greedy bankers (who would have known better than anyone that the music would stop, but hey, lets partee). Literally everyone I met had property deals going, not just in Ireland but in Eastern Europe, nobody needed to do menial work anymore, sure this was a new economy. Its happened many times in history elsewhere, just happened to be independent Irelands first major boom and bust. The harsh reality is that the alternative to saving the banks was economic destruction for all. I would imagine Lenihan used the line "burn the bondholders" once in his meetings with the bankers, and was reminded of the social impact of the ATMs not opening on Monday morning (the same argument Hank Paulson used to Congress that sobered them up pronto). The gun that was pointing at Lenihan's head was the same gun Paulson pointed at the US congress and he got his way too. The big banks of today are the imperialists of the past, just more powerful as they are a united global cabal.

Are we back full circle to leeks? :D I stand by my assertion that most Irish would have not known a leek in the mid 19th century, especially given that when I left Ireland in the late 1980s not many would even then.. ffs, it was onions, carrots, parsnips, potatoes and cabbage, that was it.

Bannasidhe, I am a Republican, so I cherish the rights of all the nations' people equally whether Catholic, Protestant, dissenter or whatever. You know, that document the founding fathers of the Irish Republic stuck on the door of the GPO, and has been desecrated by so many of their so called followers. Although you may have read it into my post, I make no distinction between Catholic or Protestant aristocrats, they are all the same and will go to any lengths to protect their privilege.

I wouldn't call the Catholics you mentioned middle class, they were aristocrats. They would have been left alone by the British because not alone were they no threat, they were very useful in keeping the Irish in check (especially Daniel O'Connell). Protestant or Catholic aristocrats, with very few exceptions, had very little interest in the fate of those beneath them, a colonialist mindset.. and as you point out both were just as culpable as Westminster for the decimation of a population. Of all the facts relating to the great famine, the fact that food exports continued at the same rate during the years of the famine is the most damning.. and yes, disease killed more than starvation, but starving people do tend to be prone to disease. Of all the primary sources available form the time, I would tend to agree with the Earl of Clarendon who defined the British governments actions at the time as leading to "a policy of extermination".

History is surely the search for the truth regarding what happened in times before our own. The challenge with historians is what facts they chose to report, or ignore, and the spin they put on it. I know you don't like that statement but that's the reality. Roy Foster is the worst Irish historian in my opinion for leaving out facts that dont fit his "version" of Irish history. In that regard the statement "we were all poor starving Catholic tenant farmers" is far closer to the truth than "sure weren't their rich Catholics as well and they ate leeks". Of course there were rich Irish Catholics (and I did learn about them in history class in school, all of the ones you mentioned), but the vast majority of Irish in the centuries prior to and up to the years of the famine were extremely poor in an extremely rich in resources country, and disproportionately Catholic. In truth nobody knows, other than roughly, how many Irish died in the famine, or emigrated, or died in the attempt to emigrate.

.. and for the record, "sure we all partied" is closer to the truth than anything else that can be said about the economic situation in Ireland, its just another uncomfortable truth. As a frequent visitor to Ireland before, during, and after the boom, it was obvious to anyone with even a smidgen of economics that Ireland was in a massive real estate bubble and it was merely a matter of time before it burst. The population by and large were led by their noses by greedy bankers (who would have known better than anyone that the music would stop, but hey, lets partee). Literally everyone I met had property deals going, not just in Ireland but in Eastern Europe, nobody needed to do menial work anymore, sure this was a new economy. Its happened many times in history elsewhere, just happened to be independent Irelands first major boom and bust. The harsh reality is that the alternative to saving the banks was economic destruction for all. I would imagine Lenihan used the line "burn the bondholders" once in his meetings with the bankers, and was reminded of the social impact of the ATMs not opening on Monday morning (the same argument Hank Paulson used to Congress that sobered them up pronto). The gun that was pointing at Lenihan's head was the same gun Paulson pointed at the US congress and he got his way too. The big banks of today are the imperialists of the past, just more powerful as they are a united global cabal.

So you dismiss those who did have wealth as aristocrats but fail to explain where these students in the three Queen's universities came from. Were they all aristocrats too?
    Or were they the sons of Irish middle class Catholic families who not only survived the Famine - they survived the Famine with enough funds to send sons to University ? They were the middle class. Not 'rich' but certainly comfortable and there was enough of them to support 3 universities being built even as the Famine raged.

Ironic that you refer to historians ignoring facts and then ignore this very blatant fact.

The spin is that 'we' were all poor. No 'we' were not. We were like every other European country of the time with an aristocratic elite, a comfortable middle class and an underclass living in poverty. Few of either of the first two groups gave a flying blighted potato about the latter.
    Many of the Irish middle class was falling over itself to disassociate from the peasantry.

That's the bit no one wants to talk about - how did your ancestors survive the Famine?

Yes- food was exported. But who were the wholesalers, the merchants, the shippers?

Irish people walked past starving Irish peasants just like Russian people walked past starving serfs and English people turned a blind eye to the conditions of the urban poor. And Scottish people walked past starving Scottish peasants - or did you not know that Scotland also had a Famine when their potato crop failed at the same time as it did in Ireland?

Estimates say 1 million people died in Ireland, two million emigrated. But the population was c8 million. That left 5 million ...
    Doesn't really square with 'most' now does it.

It's is about time we faced up to the uncomfortable truths about our collective past and stopped with the BS rhetoric.

Time and time again we have tried to pretend that the awful things done to Irish people by other Irish people were not 'our' fault. It was the 'British', it was 'aristocrats', it was 'the church' - it was any one but 'us'. This is to ignore that all along the way Irish people were up to their oxters in it and quite happy to go along with it. Be it the shop keepers who put up their prices when there was a food shortage, the Irish policemen who aided evictions, the Irish shipping merchants who exported food, the Irish families who put their daughters into the laundries, the Irish developers who charged Irish people a fortune for substandard housing, the Irish bankers who lied to the State.... the list goes on and on and on....

We need less rhetoric and more honesty about our past. If you think this is 'revisionism' so be it - I think it is about time we grew up and started taking responsibility for our past and our future and stop whinging about what was 'done' to us by others and acknowledge our own faults as a people and a society.

Well I am sorry you didn't know what a leek was in the 1980s but please don't project your lack of culinary exposure across the board. Enough Irish people knew about far more exotic food stuffs like asparagus and samphire to support places like Arbutus Lodge (Ireland's first Michelin starred restaurant -first awarded in 1975) and Ballymaloe House (restaurant opened in 1964) - indeed the cookery school also opened in the 1960s - long before you left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Can I just say that's got to be quote of the thread? Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah. I thought that quote, more than any others in this thread is what stuck in my head afterwards.

old hippy wrote: »
    Can I just say that's got to be quote of the thread? Respect.
    Yeah. I thought that quote, more than any others in this thread is what stuck in my head afterwards.

Aww shucks :o

So you dismiss those who did have wealth as aristocrats but fail to explain where these students in the three Queen's universities came from. Were they all aristocrats too?

- or did you not know that Scotland also had a Famine when their potato crop failed at the same time as it did in Ireland?

It's is about time we faced up to the uncomfortable truths about our collective past and stopped with the BS rhetoric. Time and time again we have tried to pretend that the awful things done to Irish people by other Irish people were not 'our' fault. It was the 'British', it was 'aristocrats', it was 'the church' - it was any one but 'us'.

We need less rhetoric and more honesty about our past. If you think this is 'revisionism' so be it - I think it is about time we grew up and started taking responsibility for our past and our future and stop whinging about what was 'done' to us by others and acknowledge our own faults as a people and a society.

Well I am sorry you didn't know what a leek was in the 1980s but please don't project your lack of culinary exposure across the board.

Where did I say I didn't know what a leek was? I have you know as a young budding amateur chef in the late 80s I was making a fine leek and potato soup. Finding the leeks in rural Ireland was the problem, or finding asparagus for that matter:(.

We are obviously on opposite ends of the interpretation of Irish history, so this will be my last word on the subject.

The root causes of the Irish famine were in the two centuries before 1845 when land ownership by the Catholic Irish dropped from 95% to 10%. The establishment of a Catholic middle class after Catholic emancipation in 1829 had little impact on the famine. The 3 Queens Universities you referenced opened their doors to students in 1849, towards the end of the famine. It would be interesting to know how many middle class Catholics actually attended university in the early years.

How did some people survive? Surely the bigger question is why did so many UK citizens die of starvation and disease?

I am aware that Scotland also had a famine in the same years, as I am aware the potato blight which originated in America spread across all of Europe. Much of Europe's peasant class were dependent on potatoes for their basic diet but only 3 countries suffered significant deaths, Belgium and Prussia which are estimated to have lost 40-50,000 each and Ireland which had an estimated 1M deaths. How many deaths were there in Scotland, Wales, and England where the potato crop failed as well? None that I can find a record of, perhaps you have some facts there. Why were there so many deaths in Ireland? Why were relief efforts so successful in England, Scotland and Wales but yet failed so miserably in Ireland? Anything to do with the fact that the grain and other crops that were being exported under armed guard across the English channel? or that the laissez faire policies of the Whigs denied aid in the early years?

I fully understand the famine is complicated but having read several books on the subject my conclusion is that it was closer to genocide than to a simple failure of a potato crop. Instead of pointing the finger at the complicit Irish (who deserve some criticism, but with the number of British troops on the island did they have much choice?), why not point the finger where it primarily belongs? Ireland had been ruled directly from Westminster since 1800 so there is no Irish government to blame for the response. What is ironic about this "blame ourselves" mentality is that there were no legal Irish at the time, everyone on the island of Ireland was a UK citizen. Why were 1M UK citizens in Ireland allowed die while similar peasant populations in England, Scotland and Wales were saved?

It seems to be a developing theme now in Ireland to blame oneself. What Irish people need to do is grow a pair, accept what was done wrong in their name by their state and their church in the 20th century, but also be justifiably proud of their history. Celebrate the fact that Ireland was one of the first colonial countries in the 20th century to establish its independence, granted voting rights to women over 21 in 1922, 6 years before it happened in the UK, establishing a Republic when much of Europe was totalitarian. Yes, unforgiveable things happened like the laundries and the industrial schools, but we weren't herding people into concentration camps and committing genocide.

To me the priority for Irish people should be to complete the remaining work to a Republic that was started by Wolfe Tone, and celebrate all the people who gave their lives for that republican ideal. I find it remarkable that outside Ireland I find many people who have a great appreciation for Ireland's history and unique culture, for example its traditional music and gaelic games, and increasingly within Ireland people who seem embarrassed by these. We need to stand up and be proud, we're the Irish.

Where did I say I didn't know what a leek was? I have you know as a young budding amateur chef in the late 80s I was making a fine leek and potato soup. Finding the leeks in rural Ireland was the problem, or finding asparagus for that matter:(.

We are obviously on opposite ends of the interpretation of Irish history, so this will be my last word on the subject.

The root causes of the Irish famine were in the two centuries before 1845 when land ownership by the Catholic Irish dropped from 95% to 10%. The establishment of a Catholic middle class after Catholic emancipation in 1829 had little impact on the famine. The 3 Queens Universities you referenced opened their doors to students in 1849, towards the end of the famine. It would be interesting to know how many middle class Catholics actually attended university in the early years.

How did some people survive? Surely the bigger question is why did so many UK citizens die of starvation and disease?

I am aware that Scotland also had a famine in the same years, as I am aware the potato blight which originated in America spread across all of Europe. Much of Europe's peasant class were dependent on potatoes for their basic diet but only 3 countries suffered significant deaths, Belgium and Prussia which are estimated to have lost 40-50,000 each and Ireland which had an estimated 1M deaths. How many deaths were there in Scotland, Wales, and England where the potato crop failed as well? None that I can find a record of, perhaps you have some facts there. Why were there so many deaths in Ireland? Why were relief efforts so successful in England, Scotland and Wales but yet failed so miserably in Ireland? Anything to do with the fact that the grain and other crops that were being exported under armed guard across the English channel? or that the laissez faire policies of the Whigs denied aid in the early years?

I fully understand the famine is complicated but having read several books on the subject my conclusion is that it was closer to genocide than to a simple failure of a potato crop. Instead of pointing the finger at the complicit Irish (who deserve some criticism, but with the number of British troops on the island did they have much choice?), why not point the finger where it primarily belongs? Ireland had been ruled directly from Westminster since 1800 so there is no Irish government to blame for the response. What is ironic about this "blame ourselves" mentality is that there were no legal Irish at the time, everyone on the island of Ireland was a UK citizen. Why were 1M UK citizens in Ireland allowed die while similar peasant populations in England, Scotland and Wales were saved?

It seems to be a developing theme now in Ireland to blame oneself. What Irish people need to do is grow a pair, accept what was done wrong in their name by their state and their church in the 20th century, but also be justifiably proud of their history. Celebrate the fact that Ireland was one of the first colonial countries in the 20th century to establish its independence, granted voting rights to women over 21 in 1922, 6 years before it happened in the UK, establishing a Republic when much of Europe was totalitarian. Yes, unforgiveable things happened like the laundries and the industrial schools, but we weren't herding people into concentration camps and committing genocide.

To me the priority for Irish people should be to complete the remaining work to a Republic that was started by Wolfe Tone, and celebrate all the people who gave their lives for that republican ideal. I find it remarkable that outside Ireland I find many people who have a great appreciation for Ireland's history and unique culture, for example its traditional music and gaelic games, and increasingly within Ireland people who seem embarrassed by these. We need to stand up and be proud, we're the Irish.
    Originally Posted by nagirrac
    Are we back full circle to leeks? I stand by my assertion that most Irish would have not known a leek in the mid 19th century, especially given that when I left Ireland in the late 1980s not many would even then.. ffs, it was onions, carrots, parsnips, potatoes and cabbage, that was it.

Out of a population of over 3 million you reckon the majority of Irish people in the 1980s did not know what a leek was?
    I call hyperbole.
    The root causes of the Irish famine were in the two centuries before 1845 when land ownership by the Catholic Irish dropped from 95% to 10%.

1645. Really? Next you will tell me it was all Cromwell's fault.
    What about the Protestant Irish?
    Are you seriously suggesting that if all of the land owners had been Catholic (many of them were Irish - just not Catholic) they would have acted differently to every other aristocracy in the world?
    That's strange given that the Catholic O'Connells were major landowners in Kerry yet Kerry was also one of the worst hit areas...
    Now you will say - ah, but they were aristocrats which begs the question what do you think the pre-plantation/conquest elite were? In Kerry that was the Fitzgeralds - before them it was the Mc Carthy. Aristocrats all.

But I see where you are coming from - that republican school of thought with extra added Catholicism which has so much invested in the myths of the blameless Irish and all our woes are someone else's fault.

The myths that brought us to where we are now. A failed bankrupt State where personal responsibility is an alien concept. How could we learn about personal responsibility when we are content to pretend that no Irish person had any role to play in the conquest/plantations/Union/industrial school/laundries/bank collapse? - it is always someone else and then we wonder why our current government's default setting is blaming the previous government and no one has been held accountable for our current woes.

We are repeating the same failed empty rhetoric of looking for someone else to blame. Any one else...

Aye- we are. But I am the one writing the history books...:P

But I see where you are coming from - that republican school of thought with extra added Catholicism which has so much invested in the myths of the blameless Irish and all our woes are someone else's fault.

Just to correct this old canard and misrepresentation of my position, being a republican has nothing to do with Catholicism nor sectarianism for that matter, in fact the opposite. My school of thought has nothing to do with favoring extra Catholicism, I suspect I am as opposed to religious interference in state affairs as you are.

I see you conveniently avoided all my points in the previous posts regarding where the actual responsibility for the death toll in the Irish Famine lies. Why did so many Irish die, even though Ireland was the garden of the empire, and nary a one in the rest of the UK that we are aware of? Although the revisionists have had their say for a while now, luckily there are also some historians who are telling the truth. You know the truth, but it doesn't fit with your narrative which is a shame. As to your question would it have been any different if Catholic Irish aristocrats were running the show instead of Westminster, we'll never know will we. What we do know is that Westminster was willing to see 1M Irish die while feeding their own mainland peasant populations, but hey it was just the Irish and there were too many of them anyway. An inconvenient truth for the revisionist crowd.

The whole of Europe is essentially bankrupt, except perhaps the Germans although it will be interesting to see what happens as the financial crisis continues to unfold. It certainly is not over yet and may get much worse before it gets better. Relative to countries like Spain, Italy and obviously Greece, Ireland is not in that bad a shape and as long as it can maintain its exports should weather the storm. What Ireland needs and deserves is some form of debt restructuring given the extent it was screwed to protect bondholders. The pain should have been shared as was done in Cyprus.

• Advertisement

Just to correct this old canard and misrepresentation of my position, being a republican has nothing to do with Catholicism nor sectarianism for that matter, in fact the opposite. My school of thought has nothing to do with favoring extra Catholicism, I suspect I am as opposed to religious interference in state affairs as you are.

I see you conveniently avoided all my points in the previous posts regarding where the actual responsibility for the death toll in the Irish Famine lies. Why did so many Irish die, even though Ireland was the garden of the empire, and nary a one in the rest of the UK that we are aware of? Although the revisionists have had their say for a while now, luckily there are also some historians who are telling the truth. You know the truth, but it doesn't fit with your narrative which is a shame. As to your question would it have been any different if Catholic Irish aristocrats were running the show instead of Westminster, we'll never know will we. What we do know is that Westminster was willing to see 1M Irish die while feeding their own mainland peasant populations, but hey it was just the Irish and there were too many of them anyway. An inconvenient truth for the revisionist crowd.

The whole of Europe is essentially bankrupt, except perhaps the Germans although it will be interesting to see what happens as the financial crisis continues to unfold. It certainly is not over yet and may get much worse before it gets better. Relative to countries like Spain, Italy and obviously Greece, Ireland is not in that bad a shape and as long as it can maintain its exports should weather the storm. What Ireland needs and deserves is some form of debt restructuring given the extent it was screwed to protect bondholders. The pain should have been shared as was done in Cyprus.

What happened to 'so this will be my last word on the subject'? You lied to me Sirrah. :mad:

I did not respond to every single point because were I to do so it would be a lecture series in which various themes would be examined in detail. But that is what I do for my job and I have no intention of doing my job for free on boards.
    Especially when exam boards are finally ended and I get some time off.

I have said you should read the State Papers of the time. You prefer to read various historian's (who it would seem you agree with) interpretation of those same State Papers so you can argue with my interpretation of those State Papers and then start calling people who disagree with what you want to read revisionists like that is a bad thing.

All historians are revisionists as we revise what has been written before. That's what we do.

I really can't do more than point you at the Primary Sources and suggest that you will find a wealth of information there.

I do have trouble with your statement that you have no investment in Catholicism when you make statements like 'The root causes of the Irish famine were in the two centuries before 1845 when land ownership by the Catholic Irish dropped from 95% to 10%.' which implies that had Catholic ownership remained at 95% none of the subsequent events would have happened.

Advertisement