Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's beliefs - give and take? Or loose the hounds of atheism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm that guy who "jinxes" everything. i.e. I'm the guy who says, "I hope this sunshine lasts" or, "Isn't it great that we haven't hit any traffic". I love the reaction of people going, "OMFG what are you doing! You've totally jinxed it now!".

Also things like bad luck, saying or doing something that's apparently bad luck and then doing some bizarre ritual to rid oneself of it. If someone tells me to "touch wood", or whatever, I make a point of not doing it.

Nobody ever notices that my "luck" isn't bad and by all accounts I do pretty well, even though I spend a lot of my time doing things which are apparently "bad luck".

But that's minor stuff, I guess living in Dublin I'm largely isolated from the more extremist types. If someone ever does discuss in passing about a religious ritual or whatever, I'll play dumb and ask "What's that?" (such as when a colleague started talking about Corpus Christi recently), say, "I'm not Catholic", or in some cases, "That doesn't affect me/means nothing to me".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ninja900 wrote: »
    yeah yeah picnic schmicnic... will there be a Lesbian Mystery Tour??
    Can it be a lesbian mystery tour if we're not all lesbians?
    and if they did find the g-spot in the end, can they give the rest of us a clue. tks.
    Here's a clue; it's between the F-spot and the H-spot.
    legspin wrote: »
    I f'kin love pork pies. There is summat you just can't get for love nor money here, a really decent pork pie. We irish have no real concept of what piggy goodness there is in them

M&S do Melton Moberry (sp) pork pies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »
    yeah yeah picnic schmicnic... will there be a Lesbian Mystery Tour??

If there is I won't bloody well be going. I prefer my picnics to be secular.

and if they did find the g-spot in the end, can they give the rest of us a clue. tks.

All I can say is that it wasn't in Limerick which is where the 'mystery' location turned out to be...

But then most of us already knew where the g spot is....don't you? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

seamus wrote: »
    If someone tells me to "touch wood", or whatever, I make a point of not doing it.

Or take the instruction in a different way and freak them out :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    Or take the instruction in a different way and freak them out :p

I don't think Tiger's new sponsors would like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mmmm, open faced club sand wedge

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mmmm, open faced club sand wedge

I'll have a niblick of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'll have a niblick of that.
    As an aside, I've found that golfers react with a pleasingly uniform fury when one refers to "golf sticks".

I recommend everybody do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

kylith wrote: »

M&S do Melton Moberry (sp) pork pies.

I know, just don't get to go often enough. Mind you, they're not the greatest. The pastry is a bit soggy tbh. Miles better than Tesco though.

Melton Mowbray. Home of pork pies and Stilton cheese.
    For it to be classified as a Melton Mowbray pie, the meat should be grey and not pink, ie. no preservatives.

robindch wrote: »
    As an aside, I've found that golfers react with a pleasingly uniform fury when one refers to "golf sticks".

I recommend everybody do the same.

Calling it flog in front of some enthusiasts gets a degree of opprobrium as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Calling it flog in front of some enthusiasts gets a degree of opprobrium as well.
    Golfing bats, anyone?

I know, just don't get to go often enough. Mind you, they're not the greatest. The pastry is a bit soggy tbh. Miles better than Tesco though.

Melton Mowbray. Home of pork pies and Stilton cheese.
    For it to be classified as a Melton Mowbray pie, the meat should be grey OK. I have to say it. This isn't the first I've heard from you about pork pies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53782251

Isn't it about time you put you oven where your mouth is?

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/kirsties-handmade-britain-recipes/traditional-pork-pie-recipe

What time should I turn up? I'll bring the worcester sauce.

:D

endacl wrote: »
    Golfing bats, anyone?

Excellent - just what I need to play badmington.

Isn't it about time you put you oven where your mouth is?

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/kirsties-handmade-britain-recipes/traditional-pork-pie-recipe

What time should I turn up? I'll bring the worcester sauce.

I just may have to try that.

Point of order though. Mustard is the correct condiment. It must be English and not American, which barely qualifies as food colouring.

I just may have to try that.

Point of order though. Mustard is the correct condiment. It must be English and not American, which barely qualifies as food colouring.

To paraphrase an oft overlooked Moslem instruction to the faithful....

'Let there be no compulsion in condiments'

Turns out they're not all nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

'Let there be no compulsion in condiments'

It's just not cricket, is it Legspin? I'm fully behind "compulsion of condiments" in cases such as bacon & cabbage & ENGLISH MUSTARD. With NO parsley sauce. That is an abomination. SHUN the unbeliever, SHUN!

Obliq wrote: »
    It's just not cricket, is it Legspin? I'm fully behind "compulsion of condiments" in cases such as bacon & cabbage & ENGLISH MUSTARD. With NO parsley sauce. That is an abomination. SHUN the unbeliever, SHUN!

I shun parsley sauce and/or mustard and instead employ brown sauce for I am a rebel. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well, nobody's perfect.

Sarky wrote: »
    Well, nobody's perfect.

Apparently Jebus' mammy was....but then she never had to eat bacon and cabbage so the condiment issue didn't arise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

but then she never had to eat bacon and cabbage so the condiment issue didn't arise.
    If she had use condiments, she could have avoided holybabyjesus and all the follow-on trouble he caused.

BTW, am I the only Irish person who finds bacon and cabbage inedible?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

If she had use condiments, she could have avoided holybabyjesus and all the follow-on trouble he caused.

Yes, dammit ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bacon and cabbage is the work of the Devil.

I do a fancy dancy version - kessler and colcannon. Can't abide 'bacon and cabbage' as it usually occurs here.

I do a fancy dancy version - kessler and colcannon. Can't abide 'bacon and cabbage' as it usually occurs here.

Right. I'm starting a thread. This is getting ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Right. I'm starting a thread. This is getting ridiculous.

But I believe in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

We used to feed kale to the cows where I grew up in Ireland. Apparently it is a delicacy if your normal diet is silage:D

Kale is the reason why cows need four different stomach compartments to digest it.

A proper colcannon is made with scallions gently simmered in milk.. or maybe a bit of savoy cabbage, but the scallions are best.

nagirrac wrote: »
    We used to feed kale to the cows where I grew up in Ireland. Apparently it is a delicacy if your normal diet is silage:D

Kale is the reason why cows need four different stomach compartments to digest it.

A proper colcannon is made with scallions gently simmered in milk.. or maybe a bit of savoy cabbage, but the scallions are best.

I don't actually use kale - I use savoy and leek. It's a fabulous recipe I found in a Victorian cookbook.

I don't actually use kale - I use savoy and leek. It's a fabulous recipe I found in a Victorian cookbook.

ah, the English haute cuisine version rather than the Irish peasant dish;)

On a more serious note I have nothing against kale. There's a lovely simple Portuguese soup I make called Caldo Verde with kale and a good chorizo or linguica. Sautéed onions potatoes and garlic, a nice vegetable stock, and then add the kale and sausages, serious nom nom nom.

nagirrac wrote: »
    serious nom nom nom.

^^^
    You sounded so grown up until this bit...

• Advertisement

^^^
    You sounded so grown up until this bit...

Food brings out my inner child :)

Advertisement