Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Back from my 3 day trip now! It was AMAZING! We spent 6 hours going up the top of the Cooley Mountains in Carlingford. I've never been so exhausted in my life! No school for us tomorrow though so not to worry for me :P

Hey, I'm going there in November sometime with my school and we are going up the mountains (not sure which ones, south or north side) and camping there overnight but we are only allowed bring sleeping bags and no tents. Its part of another one of our physical challenges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Bluestrike wrote: »
    Hey, I'm going there in November sometime with my school and we are going up the mountains (not sure which ones, south or north side) and camping there overnight but we are only allowed bring sleeping bags and no tents. Its part of another one of our physical challenges

Are you? You'll be absolutely exhausted! Carlingford is a lovely little village but it's of steep hills though! Almost every road has a stream nearby too :P We walked the hole way around and it took 6 hours (25km walk) we were in the North for a little bit on the way. The scenery is gorgeous so if you're outdoorsy then there's a plus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Just finished my last day of work experience for this term! :D I feel like I lost a best friend. The people I was working with were sound. Being in an office room with three crazy people for almost 7 hours a day does really kill you ;). I will miss them! I was doing great in the company, heck, I'll even say if they gave me another week or two, I would of became the new CEO ;).

:D

Does anyone else's school do work experience the same way mine does? Whereby it's every Friday until Christmas for the first work placement then every Friday from January until May for the second placement. Just curious :P

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Does anyone else's school do work experience the same way mine does? Whereby it's every Friday until Christmas for the first work placement then every Friday from January until May for the second placement. Just curious :P

Well in my school TYs get a half day on Fridays and we go and do our social work for an hour, instead of having a one week social placement as previous TYs in my school have had. Our work experience is still in one week blocks though. My first one starts on Monday! Really looking forward to it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lezflano

Mine's similar,every Monday for the entire year in wherever you want,I'm doing the year in gamestop and its pretty damn easy

pvakelly wrote: »
    Well in my school TYs get a half day on Fridays and we go and do our social work for an hour, instead of having a one week social placement as previous TYs in my school have had. Our work experience is still in one week blocks though. My first one starts on Monday! Really looking forward to it! :)

Nice! Where you going?
    In my school we don't have school on Fridays, like nothing is timetabled in even if we had school it would only be until 1 anyway as we get half days on Fridays! :P

lezflano wrote: »
    Mine's similar,every Monday for the entire year in wherever you want,I'm doing the year in gamestop and its pretty damn easy

GameStop? Lucky! My local GameStop said no to a bunch of people that asked. I'm doing mine in a place called the Dôme which is like a restaurant/bowling place/arcade/kids area :L I really enjoy it

GameStop? Lucky! My local GameStop said no to a bunch of people that asked. I'm doing mine in a place called the Dôme which is like a restaurant/bowling place/arcade/kids area :L I really enjoy it

Probably more fun than Gamestop Hahha,Seriously I just stand around all day talking to the dude that works the shift since I finish the work in like an hour pretty handy

Nice! Where you going?
    In my school we don't have school on Fridays, like nothing is timetabled in even if we had school it would only be until 1 anyway as we get half days on Fridays! :P

Danske Bank in the IFSC! They said they'll give a good overview of all the different areas, so it should be good experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

We just have a set week of work experience, which for me is in April and then we have another set week of Community Service which is just before December. In still dont really know what im gonna do for my work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Anyone doing

i) Work experience in Blackrock Clinic
    ii) The UCD Transition Year Physics course
    iii) The trinity college Biology and Immunology transition year course
    iv) The Junior Science Olympiads in DCU (IrJSO)

??

sotisme wrote: »
    Anyone doing

??
    I'm doing the Trinity College Biology and Immunology course :D. In the doing the first term which starts 4th November :p. Me and a class buddy are doing it :cool:. You doing the term i'm doing? Would be cool to meet up with a fellow boards.iey :D.

Anyone doing

??

I'm doing a physics course but its in trinity probably the same

Going to France now tomorrow for the French exchange ;) gonna be class.

Going to France now tomorrow for the French exchange ;) gonna be class.

Bonne chance et amusez-vous bien en France :) Où allez-vous exactement?

pvakelly wrote: »
    Bonne chance et amusez-vous bien en France :) Où allez-vous exactement?

Yeah see I have no idea what that means :P
    I do German, but I do French too. Only recently started well a while ago but still. Translation please? xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I do German, but I do French too. Only recently started well a while ago but still. Translation please? xD

Psssh Good luck and enjoy yourself in France. Where exactly are you going? ;)

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Psssh Good luck and enjoy yourself in France. Where exactly are you going? ;)

Eh.... Merci?....:P
    We're going to Dole (In Jura I think...) which is the French city that Carlow is partnered with. Sister city or the like

Eh.... Merci?....:P
    We're going to Dole (In Jura I think...) which is the French city that Carlow is partnered with. Sister city or the like

Viel glueck, ah scheisse, die falsche sprache
    Bonne chance, j'irai á Marseille en été pour 3 semaines :cool:
    Feras tu francais pour le Leaving Cert*?

*What gender does the leaving cert have :p Lets assume it's masculine

• Advertisement

Viel glueck, ah scheisse, die falsche sprache
    Bonne chance, j'irai en Marseille en été pour 3 semaines :cool:
    Feras tu francais pour le Leaving Cert*?

*What gender does the leaving cert have :p Lets assume it's masculine

Danke, Mein Freund aber ich denke dass ich seinen Glück möchten nicht :)
    Nope! I'll be doing German for the LC, Swedish if it's available (Been speaking that for a while now, family friends and stuff) and hopefully although I doubt it, Chinese! I love learning languages and I can't wait to start improving my French.
    Vive La Francais!
    ...lol :P

Haha sorry! :) it means good luck and have fun! I also asked where exactly you were going. I love languages to ! :)

Danke, Mein Freund aber ich denke dass ich seinen Glück möchten nicht :)
    Nope! I'll be doing German for the LC, Swedish if it's available (Been speaking that for a while now, family friends and stuff) and hopefully although I doubt it, Chinese! I love learning languages and I can't wait to start improving my French.
    Vive La Francais!
    ...lol :P

Nice one, I'm doing German and French for the LC. My friends are Swedish and they visit Germany every summer if you want the place to go to (where you stay with a guest family etc.) I can give you the details (if you want) and you can practice your German and Swedish and everybody's happy. :)

Well done on the conjunctions in German, sehr gut Grammatik ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

lezflano wrote: »
    I'm doing a physics course but its in trinity probably the same

No unfortunately theyre not, I forgot to apply for the trinity course :(

I'm not actually in TY but I'm going to NUIG next week to attend the lectures for the German/French & Commerce courses. See if I really want to do them, once I have the Leaving done

Nice one, I'm doing German and French for the LC. My friends are Swedish and they visit Germany every summer if you want the place to go to (where you stay with a guest family etc.) I can give you the details (if you want) and you can practice your German and Swedish and everybody's happy. :)

Well done on the conjunctions in German, sehr gut Grammatik ;)[/advice

Ermahgersh.... That would be actually such an offer :P
    Leave it with me though and I'll ask around ;)
    I actually *should* be going to Sweden in November or December to visit the relatives, they might be coming here though. They always get me to Skype them in Swedish... I remember when I got the JC results back I had to tell them what I got i svenska.. Haha crazy people :L

Oh god... Starting to get excited now... Flights booked, bag packed, ticket at the ready just one more sleep to go!
    Thank you all for all the help and advice!
    Merci!
    Dance!
    Tack!
    Xie xie ;)

You can't do Chinese for the leaving cert, but you can do Japanese, i'm starting Japanese at the start of 5th year :D. Have fun in france mate!

You can't do Chinese for the leaving cert, but you can do Japanese, i'm starting Japanese at the start of 5th year :D. Have fun in france mate!

Ah feck!
    Oh well, I'm still gonna keep it on as a hobby regardless as I'm doing it in school as well as at home. I thought we could do it for the LC... Oh well, not to worry. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 granthamx

Anyone doing

??

I'm doing the Trinity College Biology and Immunology course :D. In the doing the first term which starts 4th November :p. Me and a class buddy are doing it :cool:. You doing the term i'm doing? Would be cool to meet up with a fellow boards.iey :D.

I'm doing the trinity biochemistry and immunology course too but the week in February :) I'm so excited it should be great! DublinArnie how are you and a classmate doing it together? I thought they only take one student per school?

• Advertisement

granthamx wrote: »
    I'm doing the trinity biochemistry and immunology course too but the week in February :) I'm so excited it should be great! DublinArnie how are you and a classmate doing it together? I thought they only take one student per school?
    A teacher in my school has a connection with one of the lectures/professors who run the programme, so they allowed two from my school :D.

Advertisement