Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 kids but not eligible for 3 bed house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The Muppet wrote: »
    Mind your own business

I think it becomes someone else's business when someone decides to start whingeing about their free house on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

What is with the abuse here folks???

The abuse is because you're on here complaining about being offered a perfectly suitable house yet it's not good enough for you because you want a 3 bed house.

OP time to pull your head out of the clouds folks are struggling to get by these days paying massive mortgages etc and you think you've some entitlement to a 3 bed house because you've 2 kids.

If you'd really like your dream house apply for a mortgage and go and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think it becomes someone else's business when someone decides to start whingeing about their free house on boards.

Free house? do explain

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    The abuse is because you're on here complaining about being offered a perfectly suitable house yet it's not good enough for you because you want a 3 bed house.

OP time to pull your head out of the clouds folks are struggling to get by these days paying massive mortgages etc and you think you've some entitlement to a 3 bed house because you've 2 kids.

If you'd really like your dream house apply for a mortgage and go and buy it.

Couldnt agree more. Work hard to pay for my own (dogbox might I add) for partner and myself as well as parents mortgage, and then others moaning that their freebies are not good enough? Being discriminated against because their free house is not big enough? And then get called a troll and an abuser for having an opinion? This is our tax money that funds this housing, we are entitled to at least a say. It's not abuse, its a normal uman reaction ffs.

Free house? do explain

will op be paying mortgage? Rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm sure no ones going to house her for free.

Anyway I shall take my own advice and leave you ladies to it.

How does one qualify for this anyway? Might give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyway I shall take my own advice and leave you ladies to it.

All ladies?
    Well, at least we will be able to share a room........... all being the same sex.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

amaybe if u put on a Polish accent you would get a half daycent house

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Mind your own business

Good answer. We should let op mind his own business and not ask this type of questions here.
    It would be a shame for me to ask for a bigger taxpayers house or even house in a first place if I could afford to pay for rent.

I pay for my house using my own funds and don't understand why should I pay for his house too if he can afford rent.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    All ladies?
    Well, at least we will be able to share a room........... all being the same sex.....

:D exciting times ahead lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Mind your own business

why don't you mind yours?

chewy was asked a perfectly valid question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

so i have been looking for a answer to this for a while now and sorry if there is already a thread about this topic i just couldn't find one

myself and the partner have been on the housing list for about 3 and a half years now, we put our names down when we had our fist child (Jake) and we were told that we were eligible for a 2 bed room house/apartment.

we have since had a second kid (Ethan) and when we got his birth cert down we went back in to put his name on our application as well and were told that we are still only eligible for a 2 bed house/apartment, and the women at the counter said if we had a girl that we would have been put on the 3 bed list no problem.

when i asked why that was she explained that children of the same sex can share a room but children of oppiset sex need there own room, to witch i replied "my children could end up hating each other or be so different to each other that it would make them sharing a room imposable"
    but this fell on def ear's.

the question i am asking here is if i can do anything about this?
    is there some rule or regulation to state that i am not eligible for 3 bed because i have 2 boys?

i have searched on line but found nothing.
    please help.

Seems to me like a Mortgage is the solution to your conundrum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes

Yes

Really? Both?? What kind of setup is that? A token payment I assume??

Really? A token payment I assume??

No, rent. Do you think people in social housing pay nothing at all or something?

Granted, it's subsidized, but it's not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,254 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OP damn sorry they started this thread !

Threads like this can only ever end up with one outcome, people clearly on opposite sides of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

No, rent. Do you think people in social housing pay nothing at all or something?

Subsidised being the word. They pay around €30/week for a 2 bed apt in south county Dublin. The rest of it is paid for by the state ..
    Good number if you can get it. Make ya wanna puke sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

nelly17 wrote: »
    Threads like this can only ever end up with one outcome, people clearly on opposite sides of the fence.

Good way to divide a room...

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote: »
    Subsidised being the word. They pay around €30/week for a 2 bed apt in south county Dublin. The rest of it is paid for by the state ..

Where you getting that figure from?

ah yes, that little figure they arrive at where they disregard the first 32 euro, and calculate rent as 15% of your "assessable" income (and this does not include welfare/child benefit) up to a maximum of 76 euro or something.

Yeah...a token payment.

Oh and dont forget the two euro per week for waste. that would cover one quarter of a bin tag for those of us who pay our way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€30 is the minimum a singleton and €35 a couple rent for social housing. It increases depending on means.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Then again, would you really want to be like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Full time job, seems to spend an awful lot of time playing video games, on the list for a *free* house and is complaining.

Rent would probably be circa €1,100 per month, they will pay around €150.00 per month for the pleasure of the new property.

There is obviously only one way forward. Have another child.

The rent is calculated having regard to the weekly assessable income firstly of the Principal Earner and then the Subsidiary Earners. When the rent payable by the Principal Earner has been calculated additions will be made to this amount in respect of a rent contribution from the Subsidiary Earners. The amount to be paid is calculated as follows:
    • Where the Principal Earner is a single person it is 15% of the weekly assessable income over €32.00
    • Where the Principal Earner is regarded as a couple it is 15% of the weekly assessable income over €64.00. If a spouse/partner however has a weekly income over €32.00 the couple allowance does not apply.
    • Where the Subsidiary Earner is a single person it is 15% of the weekly assessable income over €32.00. The maximum contribution is €19.00 per week.
    • Where the Subsidiary Earner is regarded as a couple it is 15% of the weekly assessable income over €64.00. The maximum contribution is €19.00 per week.
    • The maximum combined rent contribution payable from the weekly assessable incomes of the Subsidiary Earners in an individual household is €76.00

• Registered Users Posts: 33,254 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Entitlement?

They could call Joe on the LiveLine.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Entitlement?

They could call Joe on the LiveLine.

Its a disgrace Joe.

Its a disgrace Joe.

No room for me trampoline or American Fridge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My friend's mam divided her kids room with a little curtain initially. Then when they were older she got a dividing wall (basically piece of plasterboard) installed.

Why don't you do that?

My friend over in London (single mum, boy and girl) did this in their 2 bed flat:
    Mum had bed settee in living room, boy had room, girl had room.

Could you and your partner sleep on bed settee so your kids don't have to share? You could advertise for a free one on jumbletown.ie etc.

Other friends of mine: when the kids turned teenagers they put a caravan in the garden for one of them.

You've loads of options op.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement