Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm sorry but nothing you say can convince me that the tour de france is more dangerous or that the walk he did was not dangerous and that he would never have fallen. He wasn't attached to anything. That itself makes it 100% dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

To get to the other side.

But There is not a chicken bone in this mans body? unless he accidentally swallowed one at dinner of course...

But these people must be good at grabbing on for dear life, when they do fall and so I doubt he has ever contemplated suicide despite what others might think just looking at him up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

pharmaton wrote: »
    k, I doubt it's something I could do and it has an element of risk but at the same time I wouldn't consider the risk factor as high, bike crash versus walking unharnessed across the GC...one may result in broken limbs, possibly fatal but the other is certain death.
    If you said base jumping or free climbing I might have seen your point though.

please tell me you realise those things are way more dangerous than the sterile charade we witnessed tonight?

IM0 wrote: »
    *spoliler alert*

there was everything safe about it, Ive never seen something so sterile in my life.

all the bits hanging off the bottom of the rope were counter balancing it and set so that even in the worst possible circumstances nothing could possibly go wrong

the balance bar, negated most of the risk

the orange rope under him all the way, no doubt for safety of some sort and they are just the things I noticed.

meh tbh the only way he would posibly fall is if he MASSIVELY freaked out but that was never going to happen. :rolleyes:

You're grand. You didn't spoil anything. I still stand by my previous comment saying there was nothing safe about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

please tell me you realise those things are way more dangerous than the sterile charade we witnessed tonight?
    I'd think the element of risk about the same really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Yosemite falls, no balance bar

falls off the wire in part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Out of all the dangerous sports, Formula 1, Moto GP, horse racing, you chose Tour De France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Out of all the dangerous sports, Formula 1, Moto GP, horse racing, you chose Tour De France?

because Ive done very similar and am speaking from experience, and know people who have done similar to moto gp and think were mad for doing what we do on skinny wheels and light bicycles going down mountains the way we do. >.<

gctest50 wrote: »
    Yosemite falls, no balance bar

so where's the fall... I hope it wasn't in my falling for it

and he is harnessed. impressive nonetheless i can barely bring myself to walk across cold laminated flooring, in my bare feet let alone a fcuking wire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

so where's the fall... I hope it wasn't in my falling for it

and he is harnessed. impressive nonetheless i can barely bring myself to walk across cold laminated flooring, in my bare feet let alone a fcuking wire

He did 3 takes on it harnessed and then he done it with no harness.

I think he fell during one of the practises but was harnessed so he was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Must be some adrenaline rush from completing something like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Nik will be getting some lovin tonight that's for sure...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Festy wrote: »
    Nik will be getting some lovin tonight that's for sure...:pac:

That's what happens when you accept Jesus in your life.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    That's what happens when you accept Jesus in your life.

I think we all should accept Jesus then if that's the case.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

because Ive done very similar and am speaking from experience, and know people who have done similar to moto gp and think were mad for doing what we do on skinny wheels and light bicycles going down mountains the way we do. >.<

Oh yeah, ye're mental..

Would ya stop, young lads go to the top of hills to do the same craic cos it's feckin fun.

100?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

Wow going down a hill on a bike. You my friend are insane. Just mad

Was just think there to myself,does anyone else find it strange that he did it wearing jeans ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

After i came out of watching superman, Man of Steel, I thought of "Nik the Tightrope Walker balls of steel"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

all the bits hanging off the bottom of the rope were counter balancing it and set so that even in the worst possible circumstances nothing could possibly go wrong

the balance bar, negated most of the risk

the orange rope under him all the way, no doubt for safety of some sort and they are just the things I noticed.

How would they stop him from falling? I know the balance bar would obviously help him but what about the rest? I didn't see any safety net or anything similar.

Btw, this is a serious question. I'm not trying to act smart or anything.

jamaamaj wrote: »
    After i came out of watching superman, Man of Steel, I thought of "Nik the Tightrope Walker balls of steel"

Nik is much cooler than this Superman bloke you speak off.

Was just think there to myself,does anyone else find it strange that he did it wearing jeans ? :confused:

I don't know what it is but this guy wore them too whilst walking the tight rope over Yosemite Park:
    article-2067526-0EFB977500000578-533_964x807.jpg

DaLad wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but this guy wore them too whilst walking the tight rope over Yosemite Park:
    article-2067526-0EFB977500000578-533_964x807.jpg

Jesus :eek: and I thought Nik was crazy

Here's some more info about the guy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2067526/Daredevil-Mich-Kemeter-performs-tightrope-walk-3-000ft-Yosemite-Park.html

They're all f*****g lunatics if ya ask me!

This is class,definitely worth a watch.:cool:

Is not a patch on walking across the grand canal on the veritable tightrope that is being out of your tree on drink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Suas11 wrote: »
    How would they stop him from falling? I know the balance bar would obviously help him but what about the rest? I didn't see any safety net or anything similar.

Btw, this is a serious question. I'm not trying to act smart or anything.

There was no safety at all. He said that if the wind got too much or if he couldn't go on, he would stop and a basket would come out and collect him. All he had was his balance bar and his mother-made shoes. Mega balls on that guy!

Girl on a tightrope between 2 trucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

I cant say its the wearing of jeans part I find strange more the whole walking out into the middle of the Grand Canyon on a 5cm tight rope with 1500ft drop, that's the bit I find a bit strange.

Advertisement