Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't teams approach the haka?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭tbm

razorblunt wrote: »
    Do what Campese did and just keep training in your 22.

I'd heard about that but never saw footage of it. Class.

Yeah it annoys me, but as another poster said, it wouldn't bother people nearly as much if it didn't generally preface your team getting their asses handed to them.

The suggestion of receiving it in NZ, but giving the option to ignore it when NZ are away is a good one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sure the last time a team responded to it, the result was BOD being out for a year with a dislocated shoulder from a spear tackle!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's several versions of it doing my different pacific rim countries so its not just the AB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Buer wrote: »
    Can't. That's also not allowed now.

You would be breaking etiquette and in receipt of a fine(fair play to the NZRU for paying the fine the French got in the RWC final),but etiquette has been broken before (M Johnson in Landsdowne Rd.)

I believe it is high time other countries had a say,whether they want to pull a campo or a Willie Anderson or whatever,but damn it,force it back on the table.

My preference would be a "Campo";)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

ted1 wrote: »
    There's several versions of it doing my different pacific rim countries so its not just the AB

The pacific islands versions tend to actually be more aggressive than the ABs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The pacific islands versions tend to actually be more aggressive than the ABs

The Siva Tau is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Ali Williams :rolleyes:

Ireland+v+New+Zealand+OUEeOCZ45dul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If people approached the Haka then it would distract fans from the AIG and Adidas logos during the dance.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Sure the last time a team responded to it, the result was BOD being out for a year with a dislocated shoulder from a spear tackle!

World Cup Final 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    It is a great spectacle but opposition should be allowed ignore it or otherwise.

Dougie Howlett leading the Munster Hakka was brilliant.

Rua tipoki lead that haka.

Since a kid i loved the haka but not anymore , what it has turned into has no business on a sports field. If its to continue which irb will ensure then opposition should be allowed to face it in any manner within their half of the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

ambid wrote: »
    Willie Anderson. Legend.

I had the great good fortune to be at this game and it was absolutely electric. Lansdowne went absolutely ballistic. It is definitely one of my top 10 sporting memories (despite the fact that after 20 minutes of boot, bollock and bite we got trollied). To get back to the OP, the reason teams aren't allowed to challenge the Haka is that the AB's and the IRB are incredibly precious and gut-bustingly politically correct about the whole thing.

The AB's should, by all means, be allowed to do their dance but teams' individual response to it should not be dictated by the IRB.. Some teams, like the Aussies, like to stand and take the challenge and others, like us, like to throw it back at them. Its all down to individual rugby culture. IMO, teams should just start doing their own thing in response and damn the consequences. Getting fined for not 'respecting' the haka is a nonsense and individual unions should refuse to play along.

Anyone remember when the AB's threw their toys out of the pram against the Welsh and did their jig in the dressing room at the Millennium? Thus disrespecting Wales and, more importantly, the thousands who turned up to see them? I may be wrong but I don't remember any sanctions being imposed on them afterwards.

Cockers is a bit of a bell-end, but this was great theatre, and lets face it, if you're going to bring ethnic dancing into rugby why not get some theatre in there too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hOZRHpleH8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

would be interesting to know if the original haka (non rugby) was more like the 1973 version or the current version.
    If the current more agressive version has came about through rugby only (looks like it's only gone that way on the pitch in last 10-20yrs) then it's not so traditional and they should be made stick to the old version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It seems that every New Zealand sports team has to do this

Ice Hockey :pac:

The fearsome New Zealand swimming team :rolleyes:

Womens soccer team do something that can only be described as the Hakarena :confused:

It seems that every New Zealand sports team has to do this

Christ, are you kidding me! Stick two New Zealanders, hell sometimes they'll even go solo, in a room, give em some beer and an audience (anyone'll do, a bored cat, a dog, a goldfish) and at some point they'll try to do the Haka. Lived in London for a fair few years and hardly a barbecue/ drinking session, birthday or wedding went by without some Kiwis trying to do the bleedin' thing..utterly, utterly tedious...

btw best user name I've seen in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Isn't the Haka property of Addidas now anyway.

I guess its important that the NZRU get their 40 seconds of Addidas / AIG advertising in anyway.

Their national anthem should be enough, the Haka is utter tedium.
    (their anthem is one of the best in the world anyway).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the Haka is great but it can be a bit precious at times, when Wales asked to be able to sing a response the Kiwis decided to do it in the dressing room. Rugby is a game based on respect, from respecting the ref to your opponents, if the Haka is to be respected, so be it. I agree with teams being kept to their own halves though, it'd just get silly having players walking up to each other.

I think Ireland's response a couple of years ago of going over to take off their tracksuits and stuff while the crowd sang The Fields was brilliant.

The "Munster Haka" has to be the most amazing piece of sporting theatre I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Clareman wrote: »
    The "Munster Haka" has to be the most amazing piece of sporting theatre I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing in person.

For people's pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

Amazing stuff. what do people think Ireland should do when facing the Haka in November? I think it should be met with silence like the Munster supporters that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

We should be allowed answer it. Its a call to war - you don't just stand there and take it.. YOU REPLY! if you look at tuilagi against the haka, he smiles and nods his head, accepting the challenge. Whether you walk up to them and stand up to them, or even a simple smile, you should be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I still get goose pimples and standing hairs watching that. Its a game il never forget. I wasnt around when they won back in the 70's. They played the ask blacks of the park and as far as I'm concerned they won that match ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love the Haka. I don't care if it's a 'Hollywood', made up gimmick, it's amazing...

But I HATE the way people are so precious about it.

The comments from the commentators in the OP's video in particular really irk me. For example, they say that the way the BB's are lining up to offer a challenge, and then when Ireland line up to offer a challenge of their own then all of a sudden there's no need for it. Absolute precious, thin skinned tripe. Don't care what Starmer's done for the game his opinion is still bitter there and as a commentator he should've been more even handed and not so prissy about it.

'Unworthy' was one of the words he associated with Ireland.

Have to say if I was playing the ABs tomorrow and was told I couldn't do my own thing I'd spend my time warming up down the other end of the field. What's the point of one team being allowed to lay down a challenge and the others can't? (within the spirit of the game, all they did was walk towards them)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Clareman wrote: »
    I think the Haka is great but it can be a bit precious at times, when Wales asked to be able to sing a response the Kiwis decided to do it in the dressing room. Rugby is a game based on respect, from respecting the ref to your opponents, if the Haka is to be respected, so be it. I agree with teams being kept to their own halves though, it'd just get silly having players walking up to each other.

I think Ireland's response a couple of years ago of going over to take off their tracksuits and stuff while the crowd sang The Fields was brilliant.

Absolutely, but respect goes two ways. For instance, when the All Blacks demanded that that no song could be sung after the Haka, they showed zero respect for the opposition and their traditions. It's a case of "respect our culture, **** yours". Let them do what they like, as hosts, in New Zealand. When they're visiting another nation, the hosts decide.

On the "Maka".. Jesus. I know I've said this before, but usually at a game the atmosphere builds up slowly waiting for others around to join in. When that kicked off, everyone just jumped to their feet and let out a continuous primal scream until it was done. Then when the (NZ) Haka started, eerie silence. If the game had been cancelled at that point, I'd still have gone home happy. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

toomevara wrote: »
    Christ, are you kidding me! Stick two New Zealanders, hell sometimes they'll even go solo, in a room, give em some beer and an audience (anyone'll do, a bored cat, a dog, a goldfish) and at some point they'll try to do the Haka. Lived in London for a fair few years and hardly a barbecue/ drinking session, birthday or wedding went by without some Kiwis trying to do the bleedin' thing..utterly, utterly tedious...

btw best user name I've seen in a while!

Looooooow lie De Fields of Atheeeenry............:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

You must be blind (& deaf) if you think that is more visually aggressive. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

haka is one of my favourite things in rugby, must alwys be kept

Niallof9 wrote: »
    You must be blind (& deaf) if you think that is more visually aggressive. No chance.

Did I say it was more visually aggressive? Maybe check your eyesight matey.

cityman 18 wrote: »
    Amazing stuff. what do people think Ireland should do when facing the Haka in November? I think it should be met with silence like the Munster supporters that night.

It's obvious and full credit goes to phatpiggins for suggesting it ages ago.

"It has to be Riverdance. Michael Flatley can burst out from under the ground and kick Richie McCaw in the face"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jeez, the bleeding Haka thread has become a real hardy annual. Perhaps when other teams start beating the All Blacks on a regular basis there will be less bitching over it. If it's not Richie McCaw cheating, or biased refereeing, it's the God damn Haka that's to blame for everybody losing. I saw a chink of light for France and, indeed, Ireland (this November) after the 1st test but I'm delighted to say that the door is now firmly slammed shut again - so roll on the Rugby Championship and the European Tour. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Jeez, the bleeding Haka thread has become a real hardy annual. Perhaps when other teams start beating the All Blacks on a regular basis there will be less bitching over it. If it's not Richie McCaw cheating, or biased refereeing, it's the God damn Haka that's to blame for everybody losing. I saw a chink of light for France and, indeed, Ireland (this November) after the 1st test but I'm delighted to say that the door is now firmly slammed shut again - so roll on the Rugby Championship and the European Tour. :D

Did you even read any of the comments in the thread? Everyone is basically saying they like the Haka

Is anyone here blaming the Haka for their teams losing? :confused:

People are rightly pointing out the ridiculous preciousness that surrounds the oppositions reaction to it, and rightly so, why should the AB's be allowed a pre match routine and the opposition be forced to watch it

Nice dash of that famous Kiwi arrogance too in the above post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement