Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't teams approach the haka?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

http://youtu.be/5hlXMapfYXs

Above is the video of the Irish u20s approaching the junior all blacks' haka at the JWC in 2008. I found the commentator's calling the irish team "discourteous" , "irritating" and "ungracious" ridiculous. It annoys me that New Zealand teams (and Pacific Islanders) are allowed do a war dance at the start of a match as a challenge to the opposition, yet the other team aren't allowed respond with their own challenge.

I'm told the kiwis actually enjoy people challenging the haka and I think they shouldn't have any problems with it. It would be outrageous for them to think they can do the haka and expect the opposition to just "accept" it, real rugby sides don't do that.

Am I the only one who thinks this commentator was out of line or do others agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Commentators are idiots, simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

'Why do Ireland have to be so confrontational?'

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

trouttrout wrote: »
    Commentators are idiots, simple as

Ye but it's still a problem that teams are fined for approaching the haka, it's a stupid approach by the irb to put a bubble around the all blacks and not allow teams to respond to their war cry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Willie Anderson. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He's just a Kiwi. I think even our New Zealand posters on here are occasionally embarrassed by the way the Kiwi press treat other nations. I guess years of superiority have made them a little cocky.

Read the NZ Herald once in a while and it will get you way more riled up then this commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nigel Starmer Smith was the commentator in question. He's been commentating for almost as long as I'm on this planet and has a pedigree in the game as a player and journalist so, whilst I don't agree with his opinion, he certainly has a well educated mind on the game and wouldn't fall into the same category as the likes of Nugent or Hook.

The haka is a challenge to the opposition; I don't see a huge amount of issues with the opposition taking that challenge. I don't agree with the walking down of the haka because it's obviously going to cause issues and is just asking for a confrontation before a ball is kicked. I do think teams should be allowed face it down closely though with France in 2007 being the perfect example. I was there for that game and I've never seen such a buzz and a response from the crowd when Chabal stared down Ali Williams.

errlloyd wrote: »
    He's just a Kiwi. I think even our New Zealand posters on here are occasionally embarrassed by the way the Kiwi press treat other nations. I guess years of superiority have made them a little cocky.

Read the NZ Herald once in a while and it will get you way more riled up then this commentator.

Ye I actually saw an NZ news report from an Ireland NZ match over there in the summer of 2006. The whole thing was aimed at making BOD look like one of those players who is constantly complaining to the ref by making reference to how the ref disagreed with him. The reporter was a right gob*****. Coincidentally, it was the summer after the lions toured there...

errlloyd wrote: »

He's English. Played for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

I agree with the original post, why should NZ get to hype themselves up and physic out there opposition before a balls been kicked? Traditions or not it seems a little bit one sided esp the commentators comments

Our lads should do an Irish dance, that would catch them off guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Kayless wrote: »
    I agree with the original post, why should NZ get to hype themselves up and physic out there opposition before a balls been kicked? Traditions or not it seems a little bit one sided esp the commentators comments

Our lads should do an Irish dance, that would catch them off guard

Nothing's more intimidating than a good river dance, I'm sure we could even do it to that ****e version if Ireland's call we insist on sending out with our teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Why do they bother looking at it at all ? Ignore it and just go down the other end of the field and carry on with your warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You see pakehas (White guys) doing the haka and it's kind of cool,see moari and pacific islanders doing one and it is intimidating ...I remember seeing Inga tuigamala, Samoan I think (doing the haka with all blacks in Dublin, (on telly) ...the others looked kind of lame compared to him...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

To answer the question posed in the thread title - because the IRB said so.

This was brilliant:

haka438.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ambid wrote: »
    Willie Anderson. Legend.

What a wimpy fcuking version of the haka that was anyway!

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Why do they bother looking at it at all ? Ignore it and just go down the other end of the field and carry on with your warm up.

Not even allowed do that. You have to face it but at a respectful distance. Campese chuckled away and went down the other end, practicing his kicking during the haka in 1991. A lot of talk of disrespect but Campese didn't give a damn. Aussies went on to win the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »
    He's English. Played for them too.

My apologies. An assumption that did make an ass of me. I don't understand his irritation then.

As it happens I'd love to do a campese on the haka. Just completely ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

What a wimpy fcuking version of the haka that was anyway!

Check out the 1973 version - they've done some work on the choreography since then!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

decisions wrote: »
    'Why do Ireland have to be so confrontational?'

:pac:

I find that line hilarious every time I watch that viedo. Why are they being so confrontational in their response to a war dance.

I like the haka, but I still think teams should be able to respond to it however the **** they want.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The guy at 33 seconds is the head off Adam from Workaholics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Check out the 1973 version - they've done some work on the choreography since then!

HaHa, yeah, I've seen that one before too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Hahaha.. Looks likes a bunch of lads just went on the piss and started doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Sandwlch wrote: »

I'd agree with this. The whole pandering to the All Blacks by the IRB is irritating, ordering teams to stand and watch is rubbish in the extreme. If the issue a challenge, you should be able to accept or lay down your own. Or as sandwich said, just carry on with your own warmup and ignore them, let them dance on their own.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Unfortunately or fortunately, the Haka is a global symbol of rugby, and it's worth money, both in terms of advertising and marketing. It's just such a spectacle.

So the IRB will protect it and as such, no other team can do anything to infringe upon it. So New Zealand get to be precious about it and all we have to do is suck it up. Which would be perfectly OK in the amateur days, but professional rugby this kinda thing shouldn't have been encouraged.

That's my take, I may be wrong.

Onto what should happen. We should keep the Haka, but it should be done before the anthems for away games, and teams should be allowed respond how they want to - be it by challenging it themselves, or ignoring it. And the home team's anthem should (as it is) be played last. NZ, just because they have a loads of Maori history, shouldn't be allowed to have the last adrenaline booster in all their games. I don't know how players these days see it, if it gives an advantage to the All Blacks, or what. I'd be curious.

Of course, we don't get annoyed at the other Pacific Islanders Hakas, so is it just that we're annoyed at how good the All Blacks are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

the French federation were fined about €10000 by the IRB after the RWC 2011 final for their V shaped march towards New Zealand. Then the ref screwed France over by ignoring about 5 blatant penalty offences to ensure NZ won the game.

I think Wales have the best idea. Either dont move when its finished or make them do it in the dressingroom.

Unfortunately or fortunately, the Haka is a global symbol of rugby, and it's worth money, both in terms of advertising and marketing. It's just such a spectacle.

So the IRB will protect it and as such, no other team can do anything to infringe upon it. So New Zealand get to be precious about it and all we have to do is suck it up. Which would be perfectly OK in the amateur days, but professional rugby this kinda thing shouldn't have been encouraged.

That's my take, I may be wrong.

Onto what should happen. We should keep the Haka, but it should be done before the anthems for away games, and teams should be allowed respond how they want to - be it by challenging it themselves, or ignoring it. And the home team's anthem should (as it is) be played last. NZ, just because they have a loads of Maori history, shouldn't be allowed to have the last adrenaline booster in all their games. I don't know how players these days see it, if it gives an advantage to the All Blacks, or what. I'd be curious.

Of course, we don't get annoyed at the other Pacific Islanders Hakas, so is it just that we're annoyed at how good the All Blacks are?

Surely it's even more of a spectacle for fans when opposition teams do approach it? And I don't think anybody has a problem with the Pacific Islanders ones because no one ever approaches them, but it's the same principle

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

It is a great spectacle but opposition should be allowed ignore it or otherwise.

Dougie Howlett leading the Munster Hakka was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

as has been stated by other posters it is a call to war and providing they dont touch an ab player the other team should be allowed to do what they want either challenge it or pull a campo

to be honest i like the haka but it should be done before the anthems and the fact that all other teams where required to reduce there anthems to one (i believe due to time constraints but i could be way off base) and nz are left do this makes no sense

all in all the other leading rugby nations are silly to take this lying down there should be uproar over it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I got to play a tour school from new Zealand while in school and face the Haka. When it's all going on in front of you it's very difficult to just stand there and take it. You feel like your giving them a bit of a head start or advantage before the games begun and you want to respond but of course tradition and etiquette mean you can't which is ridiculous.
    Although not sure what it's like for pros who've faced it many times but after my first time it certainly fires you up as well as the new zealanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Do what Campese did and just keep training in your 22.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Do what Campese did and just keep training in your 22.

Can't. That's also not allowed now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement