Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Aw jeez, head melt! I thought that was '80 when she was teaching the schoolchildren (I did think the school looked different all right) and he was working the Purcell case and they were dating. There was a really sweet, honeymoon period smile between them. Didn't even notice the security badge, or that the students weren't young kids. He had a bit of a 'fro again - I was relying too much on haircuts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

glasso wrote: »
    I wonder if the fact that Stephen Dorff is so short is a reason that he doesn't get many good roles - must be part of it.

There must be something in it. He looked tiny in the above scene. :D

I'm sure I've seen a few movies he's acted in but I cant remember any. Whether thats down to the role or his acting I dont know but I really enjoyed his turn in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just finished. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Final episode 5/10
    Overall 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

The one-eyed guy at the end was in the car. He wanted to confess everything but didn't have the balls to go in and tell him.

Ah ok, thought that was referring to a different time period.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I've seen a few movies he's acted in but I cant remember any. Whether thats down to the role or his acting I dont know but I really enjoyed his turn in this.

he's quoted as 5 feet, 7 and 1/4 inches

really grasping there with the 1/4 inch bit !

Effects wrote: »
    Final episode 5/10
    Overall 6/10
    About the same here. Great acting, good writing, that haunting southern gothic meets Midwest Americana vibe (like in Winter's Bone, Sharp Objects, Ozark, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri) but too much filler and repetition and pointless meandering - and loose ends.

All in all, a watered down season one. I'd say to anyone who asks, that it's not bad.

About the same here. Great acting, good writing, that haunting southern gothic meets Midwest Americana vibe (like in Winter's Bone, Sharp Objects, Ozark, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri) but too much filler and repetition and pointless meandering - and loose ends.

All in all, a watered down season one. I'd say to anyone who asks, that it's not bad.

What were the loose ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It felt like it ended after episode 7, when everything was pretty much explained, and I just watched 75 minutes of epilogue.

It felt like it ended after episode 7, when everything was pretty much explained, and I just watched 75 minutes of epilogue.

Yeah, that's how I felt. I kept skipping forward to just make it go faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

What happened to the wife? Did she die or just leave him? What was the purpose of that big massacre and the Red Indian gardener? Lots of loose ends, I must say

the acting was decent but the two detectives didn't have much dimension to them - that's why they didn't work together very well together as being interesting imo - and they didn't change much at all really across the timelines - Hays's stubbornness being his fairly one-dimensional trait and West being a drinker / straight-forward type of guy and there was no change here really- they reconciled at the end but they didn't really change/ develop.

if they were more complex and displayed actual character development it would have worked a lot better.

And the relationship aspect of Hays and Amelia was horrendously repetitive over 7 episodes - only throwing in a bit in the final episode that they accepted that they had to move away from the case - all done very fleetingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ally Dick wrote: »
    What happened to the wife? Did she die or just leave him? What was the purpose of that big massacre and the Red Indian gardener? Lots of loose ends, I must say

Nic confirmed on Instagram that she died suddenly in her sleep in 2013. There was no interesting twist there, she just died. I am guessing her death and the subsequent loneliness is what drives Wayne to start thinking about the case again in 2015.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Nic confirmed on Instagram that she died suddenly in her sleep in 2013. There was no interesting twist there, she just died. I am guessing her death and the subsequent loneliness is what drives Wayne to start thinking about the case again in 2015.

on social media after the show has ended - bit crap really - if you've chosen to leave it out of the show why bother.

If it didn't happen in the show, it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

I liked it. It’s not without its faults but I thought it was good.

Would watch a fourth series.

Could do with a different writer at this stage maybe if it's going to continue.

Pizzolatto could still call himself the showrunner or whatever.

What was the story with Hays's daughter disconnecting?

And just my opinion but I thought West's story could have been explored more. There was a disproprtionate amount of focus on Hays, whereas there was equal exploration of the two characters in season one.

The "showdown" between Hoyt and Hays with the veiled threats on the phone and the two cars... amounted to virtually nothing. Kind of a waste of a great acting talent like Michael Rooker.

It's obvious what happened to Tom Purcell but I think it could have been explored more. How the heck did he manage to get into the Hoyt home at all, let alone the hidden part with the pink room.

What happened to Dan O'Brien? Can we take it that Tom killed him?

We can take it that Amelia died but there was no mention of how - she wasn't very old.

We can take it that Amelia died but there was no mention of how - she wasn't very old.

she died in her sleep on instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If it didn't happen in the show, it didn't happen.

He said it was deleted from his original 90 minute episode and he hopes it'll be on the DVD. Dunno what else to say, he wrote the show :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

What was the purpose of that big massacre and the Red Indian gardener?
    Woodard, the guy who went around collecting stuff in a cart? He was a suspect because he'd always been viewed as a weird loner who (unjustly) couldn't be trusted around children. He was a mess anyway after Vietnam and losing touch with his family, and it seemed like being a suspect and the locals ganging up on him with physical violence, was enough to make him go "Fuk it, may as well check out and bring a few of the lynch mob with me" as he knew the mud would stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Woodard, the guy who went around collecting stuff in a cart? He was a suspect because he'd always been viewed as a weird loner who (unjustly) couldn't be trusted around children. He was a mess anyway after Vietnam and losing touch with his family, and it seemed like being a suspect and the locals ganging up on him with physical violence, was enough to make him go "Fuk it, may as well check out and bring a few of the lynch mob with me" as he knew the mud would stick.

Thanks for the explanation, but really feel in relation to the rest of the plot, this was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So disappointed with the last episode. Man that was some sh*t. As previous posters have said everything was tied up nicely in a bow. Obviously the big 'reveal' is that Hays solves the case, is standing next to the girl he's been chasing for 35 years yet doesn't even know it. The book being knocked off the table, he reads the one page it opens on etc etc ...f*cking yawn. Cringe plot device to push the story forward. Really really amateur writing there. Man, it started off so well and I was really interested to see what they could do with the "untrustworthy narrator" angle...but they did f*ck all with it. I recommended this to a friend to watch but after watching the finale tonight I'll be telling her not to bother. Also, I'm in the minority but I still think season 2 is the best of the lot. Season 1 had the same problem as 3.... Let down by a horrible last episode.

He said it was deleted from his original 90 minute episode
    I think it's a pity and bizarre that even the final cut, which is still so full of pointless filler, omitted something as significant as Mrs Hays's death. And an explanation for the daughter's estrangement.

Very strange execution of what could have been a great story.

Kinda cruel what his surname sounds like. :o

He said it was deleted from his original 90 minute episode and he hopes it'll be on the DVD. Dunno what else to say, he wrote the show :confused::confused:

Sorry, not having a go at you, but at the writer for dropping it in later

What was the purpose of that big massacre and the Red Indian gardener?

I think you mean Native American.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Struggling to finish this. Watched Ep 6 yesterday and it such a boring, poor show. The writing is awful. That’s twice now the father of the kids was able to wander around the police station, walk up to a door and hear the cops talk about an important development in the case, ‘did you hear, the mother’s brother Dan knows something and he wants money, give me an hour in a room with him’. This is writing for Soap operas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

In post #2316, before the fifth episode aired, I made a guess as to where the story was going and I was actually very close, on most things, especially regarding
    the Hoyt family being involved and the "aunt" trying to kidnap Julie and killing Will in the process.

All I know is that if I, of all people, can guess what the plot twists are going to be halfway through the series then the plot wasn't actually that complicated to begin with. Which honestly makes me think that they wrote it in non-chronological order for that reason and added the dimentia angle to make sense of it. Needless to say the ending was actually very disappointing because of it. Also they never found out that
    the father was killed and didn't commit suicide. So there was a massive writing plothole that was very tragic. The father spent all those years not knowing what really happened, sorted his life out, then gets killed by someone clearly connected to Hoyt and they never bother to address it. The writers just used it as an episode cliffhanger that went no where and the killer and Hoyt go free.
    Making the happy-ish ending a little stupid.

The only positive I can see from the whole series is Dorff getting the credit he deserves as an actor. He'll definitely get more roles because of this show and he clearly deserves more recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Thanks for the explanation, but really feel in relation to the rest of the plot, this was ridiculous

It was a typical Red Herring. Every murder mystery has one. You are given a blatantly obvious suspect who turns out to be innocent. It obfuscates the truth to make the mystery more compelling.

Advertisement