Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol is the worst drug out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well smoking a joint once in a while probably will do no harm but its when you do it regularly it makes you fairly unmotivated. Again it maybe a part of the whole lifestyle that goes with it. As was it South Park that said weed makes you OK with being bored.

When I was doing my leaving cert I ended up being friends with a group of pot heads. I've seen my friend turn from a hardworking student into a lazy pothead in the space of a year as she started smoking weed regularly (I never smoked it myself cuz it never appealed to me). All of my pot head friends did absolutely nothing but smoke pot all day. Their whole lives revolved around finding weed and then smoking it. It was a pretty **** time of my life. It was good next year I moved to college and found a new group of friends that weren't pot heads...

I'll agree weed is probably the least harmful of drugs but I would never smoke it myself neither would I encourage any of my friends or family to smoke it.

Meh, I was a lazy pothead in school, it went well with being a general fuck up, but anyone I know now who smokes regularly fits it around a working week or actually smokes for medical reasons. I wouldn't form an opinion based on anecdotes or stereotypes, and I wouldn't generalise or judge others on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Well smoking a joint once in a while probably will do no harm but its when you do it regularly it makes you fairly unmotivated. Again it maybe a part of the whole lifestyle that goes with it. As was it South Park that said weed makes you OK with being bored.

When I was doing my leaving cert I ended up being friends with a group of pot heads. I've seen my friend turn from a hardworking student into a lazy pothead in the space of a year as she started smoking weed regularly (I never smoked it myself cuz it never appealed to me). All of my pot head friends did absolutely nothing but smoke pot all day. Their whole lives revolved around finding weed and then smoking it. It was a pretty **** time of my life. It was good next year I moved to college and found a new group of friends that weren't pot heads...

I'll agree weed is probably the least harmful of drugs but I would never smoke it myself neither would I encourage any of my friends or family to smoke it.

Thats why the smart stoners stay late in the library then once they get home blaze it till early hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    Thats why the smart stoners stay late in the library then once they get home blaze it till early hours.

Exactly I only smoke late in the evening when my day is done. Personally it gets me really motivated.......to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

jimpump wrote: »
    1. Wrong yet again, the needle is the quickest way to get a user high. Pretty sure everyone knows that. Not many heroin users do it anymore cos it damages their veins so they smoke it

2. Maybe bull to you since youre from cork, yet I know plenty of guys and girls ive grown up
    with in dublin who hold down steady jobs. Heroin is a great anti-depressant and most of these ppl wouldnt be able for work and on would be on disability taking tax payers money,
    but instead they pay their taxes, own their own houses and cars because opiates take away
    their deprsession and anxiety

3. Read my post above about vicidin, its a pain killer/opiate just like heroin...they are basically the same things

You are oviously the clueless one

Heroin is not an anti depressant , its a depressant it's effect is on the CNS .
    Anxiety and depression are treated with different medication.
    Your post is suggesting people are self medicating rather than acknowledging addiction issues.

You posted about about people smoking heroin over many years , I wonder how often and how much , bearing in mind lots of addicts start off smoking and eventually start to use IV when their tolerance changes.Financially its cheaper to inject than smoke.
    Some of the addicts I've know that smoke for years are poly drug addicts , using heroin , street methadone , pills etc.

Long term smoking off foil creates problems for the users lungs because of impurities in the foil .. I wonder where they get their foil ? maybe you know .

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

It may not kill people like some of the harder drugs, but I reckon weed is one of the worst.

Ive seen it turn normal healthy young people into under-motivated slackers. I'm still not sure whether it's the ganja itself that does it, or the culture that goes with it, but it's a fac it definitely reduces a young persons get up and go.

So people 'dying' of a hangover from alcohol have tons of energy and 'get up and go'? What the hell you talking about. I can get up the next day after smoking a few joints and put in a 12 hour shift without a problem. Now if I was drinking the night before id probably call in sick for the next 2 days cos id feel so ill from the hangover

No wonder the economy is in the ****ter with the amount of employees calling in sick cos theyre hungover. And those that actually do go into work are hardly going to put in a productive and hard days work when theyre spending half the day in the toilet getting sick or just cant face anyone cos of the FEAR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm not sure it's true though. And if it has (extremely, extremely rarely) happened, it is likely to be because of contamination/an existing medical condition.

If you think few people have died due to drugs use then I think you may need to do some more research on the topic.

Look at what happened here when Heroin was introduced in the early 1990s, look at what Meth is doing to thousands of people today.

Drugs can and do kill. To deny it is foolish.

Wattle wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with drinking in moderation but you're not taking into account the way our society lauds and condones heavy drinking from an early age. Unless we tackle that mindset alcohol is going to continue to cause the most problems because it's the most abused drug.

I do take that into count...our attitude to drink really worries me some-times.

However I would say that rather than being THE MOST abused drug, it is simply the MOST OBVIOUSLY abused drug. I have no doubt that most of the illegal drugs mentioned here are abused as much, we just don't see it as clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mattjack wrote: »
    Your post is suggesting people are self medicating rather than acknowledging addiction issues.
    Heroin is a depressant, not as in the opposite of an anti-depressant used in depression but a depressant as in it slows down the brain's respiratory center and slows breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So people 'dying' of a hangover from alcohol have tons of energy and 'get up and go'? What the hell you talking about. I can get up the next day after smoking a few joints and put in a 12 hour shift without a problem. Now if I was drinking the night before id probably call in sick for the next 2 days cos id feel so ill from the hangover

No wonder the economy is in the ****ter with the amount of employees calling in sick cos theyre hungover. And those that actually do go into work are hardly going to put in a productive and hard days work when theyre spending half the day in the toilet getting sick or just cant face anyone cos of the FEAR.

You went out drank too much and made a show of yourself. So you come on here giving out about alcohol you made the choice to drink that much. Nobody forces people to drink so much that they get aggressive or make a show of themselves. Alcohol is good when you can control yourself. It's good for a few games of pool to catch up or a bit of atmosphere to watch a match. I have gone out and made a show of myself before. My response is to drink less and not go out so early. Your's is to make a thread giving out about alcohol.

Also again just because if you need 2 days of work because of alcohol doesn't mean other people do. I don't know anybody who needs 2 days off work even after a long session.

You might want to look closer at how much your consuming if your making a show of yourself and needing 2 days off work over it. Most people i know go out for a few have a good time and go home. Their are exceptions which i presume you were by your posts but most people go out and be sociable.

Heroin is a depressant, not as in the opposite of an anti-depressant used in depression but a depressant as in it slows down the brain's respiratory center and slows breathing.

That's what I said ...........Heroin is a depressant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

If you think few people have died due to drugs use then I think you may need to do some more research on the topic.

Look at what happened here when Heroin was introduced in the early 1990s, look at what Meth is doing to thousands of people today.

Seriously. Goalposts just being moved and moved. I said it's extremely rare, if even happening at all, for people to die as a result of one pill/one line/one bang of heroin/one trip... which is what you said in the post I referred to.

I didn't say anywhere that drugs don't kill. Of course drug abuse/overdoses/health fall-out due to drug abuse kill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You posted about about people smoking heroin over many years , I wonder how often and how much , bearing in mind lots of addicts start off smoking and eventually start to use IV when their tolerance changes.Financially its cheaper to inject than smoke.
    Some of the addicts I've know that smoke for years are poly drug addicts , using heroin , street methadone , pills etc.

Long term smoking off foil creates problems for the users lungs because of impurities in the foil .. I wonder where they get their foil ? maybe you know .

Nicely put. Anyone who thinks recreational heroin use is ok needs their head examined.

I was unlucky enough to grow up in an area ravaged by the Dublin heroin epidemic in the 1980s. I saw heroin destroy people and families and even kill quite a few.

Heroin addicts eventually become pale ghosts, who haunt areas, stealing anything they can get their hands on.

Nothing will ever convince me alcohol is worse than heroin after watching what it did.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Alcohol does far more damage to the country than illegal drugs

Seriously. Goalposts just being moved and moved. I said it's extremely rare, if even happening at all, for people to die as a result of one pill/one line/one bang of heroin/one trip... which is what you said in the post I referred to.

I didn't say anywhere that drugs don't kill. Of course drug abuse/overdoses/health fall-out due to drug abuse kill.

You do get occasional heroin overdoses where the addicts tolerance has changed often after prison release or after not using for a length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I do take that into count...our attitude to drink really worries me some-times.

However I would say that rather than being THE MOST abused drug, it is simply the MOST OBVIOUSLY abused drug. I have no doubt that most of the illegal drugs mentioned here are abused as much, we just don't see it as clearly.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=449:

"Young Irish people appear to experiment with fewer illegal drugs than their European and US counterparts; however the use of legal drugs (alcohol and tobacco) is higher. Irish people spent £2,000 million a year on legal drugs - 19% of total consumer spending. How much is spent on illegal drugs is not known.

To put this in perspective, there are approximately 95,000 alcohol dependants, 840,000 nicotine dependants and 22,000 people at risk from tranquilliser dependence in Ireland today. Young Irish people would appear to have as much to fear from legal drugs and medicines than illegal drugs, yet alcohol and tobacco are culturally acceptable and do not receive the same attention from the media, politicians, anxious parents or GPs".

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

meth doesnt kill anyone

Brian? wrote: »
    Nicely put. Anyone who thinks recreational heroin use is ok needs their head examined.

I was unlucky enough to grow up in an area ravaged by the Dublin heroin epidemic in the 1980s. I saw heroin destroy people and families and even kill quite a few.

Heroin addicts eventually become pale ghosts, who haunt areas, stealing anything they can get their hands on.

Nothing will ever convince me alcohol is worse than heroin after watching what it did.

You obviously never stay out past 10pm. Go to any nightclubs or chippers afterwards and you will notice the amount of unprovoked assaults with many getting their faces disfigured or even worse. My cousin was put in a wheelchair after a gang of drunken louts assaulted him

And thats just half the problem. 2 of my uncles died in their 40s due to alcohol. I have never known anyone who has died or been put in a wheelchair over opiates. Most of the heroin users that died during the 80s was because of aids, hep c etc. over the sharing of needles, not cos of the heroin itself

You barely ever hear of deaths over heroin anymore....why? Because they are more informed about sharing needles and the addicts can get free needles at methadone clinics, something they couldn't do during the 80s

meth doesnt kill anyone

Are you talking about methamphetamine or methadone ?

You obviously never stay out past 10pm. Go to any nightclubs or chippers afterwards and you will notice the amount of unprovoked assaults with many getting their faces disfigured or even worse. My cousin was put in a wheelchair after a gang of drunken louts assaulted him

And thats just half the problem. 2 of my uncles died in their 40s due to alcohol. I have never known anyone who has died or been put in a wheelchair over opiates. Most of the heroin users that died during the 80s was because of aids, hep c etc. over the sharing of needles, not cos of the heroin itself

You barely ever hear of deaths over heroin anymore....why? Because they are more informed about sharing needles and the addicts can get free needles at methadone clinics, something they couldn't do during the 80s

You're a little bit misinformed on your information , we still have deaths in Ireland from heroin , in fact I think we're amongst the highest regarding mortality compared to the rest of Europe,mainly OD's.I don't think needles are being provided at methadone clinics.

meth doesnt kill anyone

Are you serious?

Or are you confusing methadone with methamphetamine?

I sincerely hope it's the latter.

• Advertisement

You need to read up on the subject before you comment.

That or take your head out of the sand.

Are you serious?

Or are you confusing methadone with methamphetamine?

I sincerely hope it's the latter.

What do mean by the latter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

It's the most abused and most easily available, but far from the worst.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm 34 and have 2 kids, so no I don't go to nightclubs much. From the age of 18 to 31 I went to them every weekend though. My face remains remarkable figured, I've never been assaulted nor have I assaulted anyone.

This generalisation you love is pure fantasy. But please tell me where these night clubs and chippers you attend are so I can avoid them.

You didn't see stories about heroin addicts dying on the news in the 80s and 90s either, a heroin addict who ODs or dies from aids is not a story.

Also thankfully, there are less heroin addicts now due to better treatment and rehabilitation programs.

You're obviously too young or too deluded to remember how bad the problem was and how damaging heroin can be.

Chase the dragon all you want, but let's not dance around pretending alls hunky dory because it comes from a plant. Deadly nightshade is a plant, would you smoke that?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What do mean by the latter ?

I meant the second of those two options.

I meant the second of those two options.

You can overdose on methadone.

You can overdose on methadone.

Of course you can.

But Methamphetamine is one of the most horrible drugs to hit the streets imo.

The poster I responded didn't seem to think it could kill, I just wondered if they'd confused it with something less potent.

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm 34 and have 2 kids, so no I don't go to nightclubs much. From the age of 18 to 31 I went to them every weekend though. My face remains remarkable figured, I've never been assaulted nor have I assaulted anyone.

This generalisation you love is pure fantasy. But please tell me where these night clubs and chippers you attend are so I can avoid them.

You didn't see stories about heroin addicts dying on the news in the 80s and 90s either, a heroin addict who ODs or dies from aids is not a story.

Also thankfully, there are less heroin addicts now due to better treatment and rehabilitation programs.

You're obviously too young or too deluded to remember how bad the problem was and how damaging heroin can be.

Chase the dragon all you want, but let's not dance around pretending alls hunky dory the because it comes from a plant. Deadly nightshade is a plant, would you smoke that?

Have you got a source for your claim saying theres less heroin addicts in ireland. If anything its increased since the recession. There is 15,000 people on methadone maintenance programs in dublin alone and thats not including the countless other heroin users that dont go to the methadone clinics which could make it double or higher the number of heroin users

Of course you can.

But Methamphetamine is one of the most horrible drugs to hit the streets imo.

The poster I responded didn't seem to think it could kill, I just wondered if they'd confused it with something less potent.

In Ireland ? its a very limited niche market here, popular with mainly Eastern Europeans.

• Advertisement

Have you got a source for your claim saying theres less heroin addicts in ireland. If anything its increased since the recession. There is 15,000 people on methadone maintenance programs in dublin alone and thats not including the countless other heroin users that dont go to the methadone clinics which could make it double or higher the number of heroin users

Its relatively stable at the moment .The last report I've seen said there was a slight dip in heroin use in Dublin and slight rise nationally.Its certainly not double or higher.There's no way there's 30,000 plus unaccounted for heroin addicts in Dublin.

That's one of craziest comments I've ever seen about heroin.

Advertisement