Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol is the worst drug out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Yup, the phrase "functioning alcoholic" is a completely new one on me...

Yeah but theyre liver will be ****ed by the age of 40 if they drink everyday. Same cant be said for other 'illegal' plants or as some people like to call them drugs. Alcohol is full of ****, ever look at the ingredient for some alcohol bevereges? This world is backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

crack and meth amph (and ther headshop equivalents) would be by far the worst drugs out ther (alcohol included ) - people lives can be destroyed pretty fast on these - and I mean destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jimpump wrote: »
    I know plenty of functioning opiate addicts who have greatly paid steady jobs, doubt the same can be said for alcohol
    Yeah but theyre liver will be ****ed by the age of 40 if they drink everyday. Same cant be said for other 'illegal' plants or as some people like to call them drugs. Alcohol is full of ****, ever look at the ingredient for some alcohol bevereges? This world is backwards

Now, I don't want to be insulting and it's not my intention to personally abuse you, but please answer this question, as it is just a question. Do you lack all levels of intelligence?

There are plenty of functional alcoholics out there and sure, they'll be screwed once they get older.... but with heroin you're gonna be fine? Really?

thebaz wrote: »
    crack and meth amph (and ther headshop equivalents) would be by far the worst drugs out ther (alcohol included ) - people lives can be destroyed pretty fast on these - and I mean destroyed

I agree man, crack , crystal meth and alcohol seem to be the most damaging and drugs from what ive read and seen. Anything thats not from a plant should be banned but then again its their bodies so I say legalise andbtax them and this country wont be owning the germans back for the next 100 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Well put it this way, I did and said some crazy **** that I wouldnt have done at the weekend if I smoked a drug thats made from a plant yet its illegal. I just dont get it. Alcohol is the biggest cause of violent and stupid behaviour yet its legal a few leaves from a plant are illegal yet nothing bad happens when ppl take that. Its a bleedin joke, plus alcohols 1 of the biggest killers in this country if not the biggest if you include road crashes, suicide etc.

Some laws need changing big time

So you did something stupid while drunk so alcohol is bad? Fecks sake :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Alcohol is the biggest cause of violent and stupid behaviour
    People are the biggest cause of violent and stupid behaviour. My view on it is if you were brought up in a half-decent manner you would not act as reckless whether you were drunk or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm 47, despite having an otherwise very healthy life style I drink to excess.. I've tried stopping numberous times but I can't.

Sometimes on my annual medical my liver function tests are elevated, a week off the gargle and I'm fine and can do it all over again..

Most of my mates from my teen years are dead from drugs, almost without exception heroin and turning on other opiates when smack wasn't available (we're talking about 1980's Ballymun).

Very, very few are still using and living (in fact right now I can't think of a single one).. Those who didn't take a turn on but drank all all still alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I agree man, crack , crystal meth and alcohol seem to be the most damaging and drugs from what ive read and seen. Anything thats not from a plant should be banned but then again its their bodies so I say legalise andbtax them and this country wont be owning the germans back for the next 100 years

Crack is refined Cocaine, which comes from the Coca plant, Alcohol is obtained from fermented barley, grapes, hops etc etc, all plants. Not being smart but just because it's a plant, it doesn't mean it's healthy and wholesome. The legalize weed campaign are a vocal minority. Most people get by in their normal lives without any illegal drugs, weed or otherwise.

Why should we legalize something that would barely be missed if it disappeared off the face of the Earth tomorrow? People who want to legalize and smoke weed the same way others smoke cigarettes are addicted psychologically or physically and want their lives to be easier and would basically be more useless to society as far as I can see. It would be worse than drink, as you can only get drunk once and few people can easily do it all day everyday, whereas you could be stoned and useless several times during the whole day, all day every day. If we just legalized every drug, who's going to pay for the hospital bills, social cost? That's where the pipe dream of paying off national death with weed tax would evaporate.

Why should we legalize something that would barely be missed if it disappeared off the face of the Earth tomorrow?
    That is a weak and uninformed opinion, to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why should we legalize something that would barely be missed if it disappeared off the face of the Earth tomorrow?

Barely be missed, me bollox.

People who want to legalize and smoke weed the same way others smoke cigarettes are addicted psychologically or physically and want their lives to be easier and would basically be more useless to society as far as I can see.

Who wants to smoke pot like cigarettes?

Where are you getting this physical addiction bunkum?

It would be worse than drink, as you can only get drunk once and few people can easily do it all day everyday

News to me.

whereas you could be stoned and useless several times during the whole day, all day every day.

You could................. if you were a complete loser.

If we just legalized every drug, who's going to pay for the hospital bills, social cost?

Who is paying for legal aid, the guards, prisons?
    That's where the pipe dream of paying off national death with weed tax would evaporate.

The national death of knowledge, by the looks of it.
    I suggest you research this cannabis topic a tad more before spouting bulldust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

For what it's worth, this chart from The Economist says that alcohol is the most harmful drug, both in relation to the harm to the user and to others. Heroin and crack are in second and third places, respectively.

Meth (no.4) doesn't show huge risk of harm to others, according to this.

Lancet abstract.

I'm 47, despite having an otherwise very healthy life style I drink to excess.. I've tried stopping numberous times but I can't.

Sometimes on my annual medical my liver function tests are elevated, a week off the gargle and I'm fine and can do it all over again..

Most of my mates from my teen years are dead from drugs, almost without exception heroin and turning on other opiates when smack wasn't available (we're talking about 1980's Ballymun).

Very, very few are still using and living (in fact right now I can't think of a single one).. Those who didn't take a turn on but drank all all still alive and well.

I know plenty from around coolock who smoke it (not turn on) and these guys are in their 40s aswell and have been working nearly all their lives. Its the needles and methadone that **** the guys you know up. Heroin is basically morphine, oxycodone, vicidon and is not harmful if used the right way

I should know cos my dad has been on vicidon, which ppl in america get from their doctors and they call it hillbilly heroin,for over 40 years cos he was in a bad car accident when he was in his 20s. Now hes in his late 60s and has never had major health concerns apart from his back pain over his accident. He told me before its basically saved his life otherwise he would be bed bound

Now, I don't want to be insulting and it's not my intention to personally abuse you, but please answer this question, as it is just a question. Do you lack all levels of intelligence?

There are plenty of functional alcoholics out there and sure, they'll be screwed once they get older.... but with heroin you're gonna be fine? Really?

Read my post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Why should we legalize something that would barely be missed if it disappeared off the face of the Earth tomorrow? People who want to legalize and smoke weed the same way others smoke cigarettes are addicted psychologically or physically and want their lives to be easier and would basically be more useless to society as far as I can see. It would be worse than drink, as you can only get drunk once and few people can easily do it all day everyday, whereas you could be stoned and useless several times during the whole day, all day every day. If we just legalized every drug, who's going to pay for the hospital bills, social cost? That's where the pipe dream of paying off national death with weed tax would evaporate.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What is nonsense is equating drink with weed, or equating drink or weed with heroin. There is a difference of degree and the degree is effect.

You can only drink so much and you pass out; you pay for it the next day, but then it is over.

You can smoke weed or hash until you can't smoke no more, but the payback takes weeks.

Heroin never lets you go.

Given the level of education in relation to drugs in our society it is no puzzle why young people look at the effects of alcohol and deem it to be the worst.

Alcohol is a very debilitating substance; but the reason it's effects are so noticeable is because it is legally available and used widespread.

The shallow solution of legalising all recreational drugs misses this point.

For what it's worth, this chart from The Economist says that alcohol is the most harmful drug, both in relation to the harm to the user and to others. Heroin and crack are in second and third places, respectively.

Meth (no.4) doesn't show huge risk of harm to others, according to this.

Lancet abstract.

You do know heroin can be smoked. Opiates/ heroin got a bad name over ppl sharing needles and spreading hep or whatever disease 1 of the sharers of needles had. Hell put it this way, if a diabetic injecting insulin was sharing needles with other diabetics the same problem would occur, needles arent meant to be shared, everyone should know that. Back in the 80s as makikomi mentioned, there was no info about spreading diseases through sharing needles, hence all the deaths from hepatitis and aids during the 80s, not enough education

Nowadays they give free needles to addicts in most town centres hence the reason why today is nothing like the 80s when people didnt know the consequences of sharing needles and spreading disease

mikom wrote: »
    1)Barely be missed, me bollox.
    2)Who wants to smoke pot like cigarettes?
    3)Where are you getting this physical addiction bunkum? News to me.
    4)You could................. if you were a complete loser.
    5)Who is paying for legal aid, the guards, prisons?
    6)The national death of knowledge, by the looks of it.
    I suggest you research this cannabis topic a tad more before spouting bulldust.

1) Did you ever think about if before you tried it? I'd bet the majority of your parents generation and maybe even people you see every day could care less about it.
    2) Stoners, plenty of them out there.
    3) I see it with my own eyes in the people I knew/know/smoked it with, who spend the whole day talking about or thinking about their little bag of weed and light one up the first chance they get, regardless of time, place or reason.
    4) Stoned all day? It happens, tell me they aren't addicts or dependent on it.
    5) So we'll swap one bill for another.
    6) More like the national death of not calling a spade a spade. Most of the weed lobby have a too cool for school attitude about what is a pretty laughable high and a misguided belief that the wonder of weed is being oppressed, they look down on and point out what they claim is the damage drinkers do, yet fail to mention that nearly every junkie started on weed and as the old saying goes; 'more breeds want' and went off on a search for their next better high or said they'd see what it would be like, since they've tried weed and after all that's harmless.

My opinions are my own, gathered from first hand experience so calling them 'bull-dust' is jumping the gun. I smoked it on and off for years. I gave it up because I kinda realized that it's more about the silly rituals around smoking it than the actual high (it's a fairly poor high with regards to the high itself) it's a waste of money, too much hassle to get and mind and being a realist I said I'd settle for a few beers in the pub as I didn't fancy whole evenings revolving around the inevitable lighting up. Finally where there's weed there is always other drugs and I don't like the idea of putting money in the pocket of scumbags and watching people develop a fondness for pills and coke. That's the reality of weed for me and probably the majority of people whether they will admit it or not, it goes hand in hand with the harder stuff. Might be an outdated opinion, but plenty of people went before me and got on fine without it. As far I see we should be more worried about learning to live without the need to get stoned or drunk or whatever other chemical we want to or need to ingest.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Crack is refined Cocaine, which comes from the Coca plant, Alcohol is obtained from fermented barley, grapes, hops etc etc, all plants. Not being smart but just because it's a plant, it doesn't mean it's healthy and wholesome. The legalize weed campaign are a vocal minority. Most people get by in their normal lives without any illegal drugs, weed or otherwise.

The hospital bills from weed, are you serious. The cost wouldnt be anywhere near to whats currently the case with alcohol, it could even reduce it.

I should know cos my dad has been on vicidon, which ppl in america get from their doctors and they call it hillbilly heroin,for over 40 years cos he was in a bad car accident when he was in his 20s. Now hes in his late 60s and has never had major health concerns apart from his back pain over his accident. He told me before its basically saved his life otherwise he would be bed bound
    Because vicodin = heroin, right? Wrong.

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    The hospital bills from weed, are you serious. The cost wouldnt be anywhere near to whats currently the case with alcohol, it could even reduce it.

Hardly reduce it considering weed is fairly easy to get now and people still choose to drink. As for the bills, I was referring to the notion that we should legalize all drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

These threads go from bad to worse. Alcohol is great because our government told us so. Who cares about the destruction it causes because it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The amount of people who willfully refuse to accept that any and all drugs, alcohol included, are each in their way dangerous in a bit shocking at times.

The fact that people are talking of heroin and meth as if they are perfectly fine and dandy is really worrying.

Of course alcohol is dangerous, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

But come on, be realistic and honest - one glass of beer is unlikely to hurt anyone, one shot of heroin or bad E or meth trip could kill.

Meth, E, Heroin, Coke etc are illegal for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I know plenty from around coolock who smoke it (not turn on) and these guys are in their 40s aswell and have been working nearly all their lives. Its the needles and methadone that **** the guys you know up. Heroin is basically morphine, oxycodone, vicidon and is not harmful if used the right way

1. Smoking heroin isn't going to reduce addiction rate, just how fast it gets you high.

2. I've no doubt there are a fair few people who can be recreational heroin users, but being a recreational user for 20 years sounds like bull to me.

3. Hilbilly Heroin is Oxycontin, not Vicodin. Though vicodin has been prohibited from use in a few countries for medical reasons. It's fairly safe over all, just addictive as fcuk.

You're drawing comparisons where there are none. You've no real clue about the subject, but you'll come up with bull about knowing people.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Because vicodin = heroin, right? Wrong.

Vicodin is an opiate just like heroin. They are from the same family of drugs made from the poppy plant such as oxycontin, oxynorm, diamorphine, codeine, heroin etc. You obviously dont have a clue about the matter so come back when youve done some research on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Everything in moderation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

In the last 100 years over 1,000,000 people have died from earthquakes, surely we should deal with that first?

1. Smoking heroin isn't going to reduce addiction rate, just how fast it gets you high.

2. I've no doubt there are a fair few people who can be recreational heroin users, but being a recreational user for 20 years sounds like bull to me.

3. Hilbilly Heroin is Oxycontin, not Vicodin. Though vicodin has been prohibited from use in a few countries for medical reasons. It's fairly safe over all, just addictive as fcuk.

You're drawing comparisons where there are none. You've no real clue about the subject, but you'll come up with bull about knowing people.

1. Wrong yet again, the needle is the quickest way to get a user high. Pretty sure everyone knows that. Not many heroin users do it anymore cos it damages their veins so they smoke it

2. Maybe bull to you since youre from cork, yet I know plenty of guys and girls ive grown up
    with in dublin who hold down steady jobs. Heroin is a great anti-depressant and most of these ppl wouldnt be able for work and on would be on disability taking tax payers money,
    but instead they pay their taxes, own their own houses and cars because opiates take away
    their deprsession and anxiety

3. Read my post above about vicidin, its a pain killer/opiate just like heroin...they are basically the same things

You are oviously the clueless one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Meth, E, Heroin, Coke etc are illegal for a reason.

What has been quietly killing hundreds, in Dublin, is perfectly legal, with a valid prescription. Benzodiazepines. There's very few pure users of Heroin, there's a lot of poly use. Doctors are complicit in the trade, dispensing way over what any one person needs. This then trickles down to 'street use'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Yeah my brother in law takes ritalin/methamphetamine over his adhd and it keeps him sane. Without it he can be a raving lunatic

Alcohol and benzos are the drugs whose withdrawals can be fatal

Ritalin is a methylphenidate NOT methamphetamine!

Methamphetamine is the group of drugs that crystal meth belongs to. If everyone who has ADHD was taking crystal meth the country would be in some state :eek: And look exactly like that smiley!

I've seen confusion in these discussions before between speed, crystal meth and prescription drugs for ADHD, narcolepsy etc like Adderall and Ritalin.

All 3 are different. Quite different in make-up, VERY VERY different in the effects that each have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Boombastic wrote: »
    These threads go from bad to worse. Alcohol is great because our government told us so. Who cares about the destruction it causes because it's legal.

this country is run by two groups - the government and the publicans. This is why alcohol is pushed as "the norm" when it comes to drug taking. it rakes it in for the publicans and the government. the publicans certainly do not want any other safer drugs legalised because they've already set up the board to play on and are happy to rape this country of its health, money, safety and welfare by staying greedy and being true promoters of this awful deadly drug.

essentially, they are the worst drug pushers - the govt. and the publicans, because it's in your face at every turn. it's ingrained into us that going to the pub is the socially accepted norm, whereas in Holland, for example, you can choose whether to go to the pub or go to a coffeeshop.

Advertisement