Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

xJEx wrote: »
    Yoppo how did you find physics ? :))

Ok now. I got an A2 in the mocks but my mind went fairly blank for the LC! Hopefully I'll get a B2. Not bad for doing it for a year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lonepiper

For distinguishing between ethanoic acid and ethanol I couldn't remember how we did if so I went with the iodoform test for alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

yoppo wrote: »
    Ok now. I got an A2 in the mocks but my mind went fairly blank for the LC! Hopefully I'll get a B2. Not bad for doing it for a year! :pac:

Oh that's good well done! Which mock was it the one with calculating g and resistivity of nichrome? Or coplanar forces? Cause apparently one was easier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I had the one with G by freefall, my teacher said it was the worst paper he's ever seen

I had the one with G by freefall, my teacher said it was the worst paper he's ever seen

Yeah same! She picked the hard one on purpose. I got a b3 and the rest of my class failed so i hope I go up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Q11 was the greatest thing I have ever seen

Isco wrote: »
    Q11 was the greatest thing I have ever seen

It was so easy and I made a balls of it hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm surprised that other people didn't like the paper. I thought it was fair and the right kind of level of challenging to distinguish between the As (not saying I definitely got one but everything on the paper was manageable).

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

For question 8 it said reagent not condition so hopefully they will take HCL and UV Light!

were they looking for 3 seperate answers there?

We're they looking for 3 seperate answers there?

I wrote HCL, HCL and Cl2, it was 3 marks each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I wrote HCL, HCL and Cl2, it was 3 marks each.

Is it not uv light and cl2 for the first one? HCl is a product of the reaction I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

No, the diagram was right in this regard. Water should always flow in from the bottom so it moves slowly around the tube :/

There was no steam trap in the diagram... Although I didn't notice that and mentioned the condenser thing too :L

Is it not uv light and cl2 for the first one? HCl is a product of the reaction I think?

Yep your right. When I was doing it I totally forgot it was a free radical substitution!... should have remembered that! 3 marks down.. how bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Yep your right. When I was doing it I totally forgot it was a free radical substitution!... should have remembered that! 3 marks down.. how bad!

I got a question right that someone with a degree in chemistry didn't ;)
    F*** yeah. :cool:

woopah92 wrote: »
    I got a question right that someone with a degree in chemistry didn't ;)
    F*** yeah. :cool:

That degree is 5 years old! I need another three.

Yoppo Mb, BCh, BAO

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

What was the answer to the incorrect equipment setup up in Q2 for the clove oil experiment?

I said the in and out setup for the liebig condenser?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

What was the answer to the incorrect equipment setup up in Q2 for the clove oil experiment?

I said the in and out setup for the liebig condenser?

I said that too, but I believe it's that the safety tube wasn't below the level of water !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

Lonepiper wrote: »
    For distinguishing between ethanoic acid and ethanol I couldn't remember how we did if so I went with the iodoform test for alcohol!

I chose reacting the liquid with metal carbonate and see if the gas turn the limewater milky

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

Nl90 wrote: »
    I said that too, but I believe it's that the safety tube wasn't below the level of water !

Ah well, nothing we can do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I think i put about 5 "faults" down for the clove oil,

Tube incorrectly positioned in first section, no water in with cloves, steam tube down too low in the cloves, condenser incorrectly positioned and too much of a gap between the end of the tube and the collection flask!!

Have to get it :-)

• Advertisement

I'm really glad I chose not to do Question 2 :) I was gonna say the liebeg thing and I was gonna do it for the easy marks for the chromatography.. But I thought for the first two bits you coud just test for unsaturated! I didn't really think I could put the same answer down for both though so I avoided it in the end. Phew! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

I'm really glad I chose not to do Question 2 :) I was gonna say the liebeg thing and I was gonna do it for the easy marks for the chromatography.. But I thought for the first two bits you coud just test for unsaturated! I didn't really think I could put the same answer down for both though so I avoided it in the end. Phew! :)

Q2 really wasn't as bad as everyone is saying it was. The first part consisted only of an iodoform and litmus paper test, the second part was just the addition of either bromine/potassium permanganate, part 3 was a simple description of a chromatography experiment, part 4 was easy: 120-121 degress being pure benzoic acid, and part 5 was any one mistake of a few in the diagram.

Yeah but wasn't saying both the liebeg valves facing the same way was wrong? That's what I would have said
    And i havent even heard of the iodoform before! I know the benzoic acid and chromatogram was easy peasy but i would have lost marks on that question for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Yeah but wasn't saying both the liebeg valves facing the same way was wrong? That's what I would have said
    And i havent even heard of the iodoform before! I know the benzoic acid and chromatogram was easy peasy but i would have lost marks on that question for sure!

Do you do biology?

SecondMan wrote: »
    Do you do biology?

Nope i do physics, chem and applied maths.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

i cant have been the only person who did every question on the paper, can i?

i cant have been the only person who did every question on the paper, can i?

I did, apart from the option part of 11.

I did, apart from the option part of 11.

Same. Wasn't too fond of the option question :p

To all of you who did all questions more or less does that usually work for you? Like what did you get in the mock?
    I can't imagine that being the best strategy

• Advertisement

Well attempting to learn the one we didn't do in class the morning o your exam isn't really very smart :P I think my other questions should cover me though, hopefully! I hope section A doesn't bring me down too much :/

Advertisement