Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

0mega wrote: »
    Same here but should it have been -57.96 for heat of reaction as it was exothermic and produced heat?
    Yeah, I made mine negative as well.

@OulDublinHead: Averaging the temps at start was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

0mega wrote: »
    Same here but should it have been -57.96 for heat of reaction as it was exothermic and produced heat?
    flip forgot to include the minus argggggg!!!!!!!!!! hopefully wont loose much dumbass benzoic acid came up so couldnt do q2 so i was forced into 1 and 3

Jackobyte wrote: »

Thanks but then the initial temp was 14 and it reached 20.9 so should the heat change not be 6.9? Not around 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Why don't we like air bubbles being trapped in the bottle for Q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

For anyone who did Q8, did ye get UV light, HCl and Cl2 for part (b)? And what did you say for the reaction for conversion X?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

Thanks but then the initial temp was 14 and it reached 20.9 so should the heat change not be 6.9? Not around 4?

yep heat change was 6.9 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

So should it have been 1:4?
    Or 2:1 as was suggested in the equation?

2:1 wasn't suggested in the equation for the oxygen??

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Why don't we like air bubbles being trapped in the bottle for Q1?
    Because atmospheric O2 will dissolve into the sample and give an unusually high reading for dissolved O2.
    _LilyRose_ wrote: »
    For anyone who did Q8, did ye get UV light, HCl and Cl2 for part (b)? And what did you say for the reaction for conversion X?

Yup. And it was an ionic addition reaction :)

Sorry I just saw someone mention ammonia production.

For what speeds up rate of reaction.

1. Nature of reactants (are they both ionic or covalent) didn't apply to question
    2. Temperature of reaction
    3. Concentration of reactants
    4. Particle size didn't apply
    5. Presence of a catalyst

Oh never thought of catayst!! So would it be okay that I said increased temperature speeds up the rate even though it said the reaction was for ''the production of ammonia'' whose yield is decreased by temp?

xJEx wrote: »
    2:1 wasn't suggested in the equation for the oxygen??

2S2O3 + I2 was written on the paper I think she means :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Because atmospheric O2 will dissolve into the sample and give an unusually high reading for dissolved O2.

Ah ok, i had no idea so I just said you'd be adding extra oxygen to the mixture and it would effect results so thats grand out!

Yup. And it was an ionic addition reaction :)

Yes! That question 8 terrified me but I made myself do it because I love that organic question!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Temperature change is 6.9, which is different to heat change. Heat change is found using:

ΔH=mcΔθ where m is mass, c is heat capacity and Δθ is temp change.

Oh never thought of catayst!! So would it be okay that I said increased temperature speeds up the rate even though it said the reaction was for ''the production of ammonia'' whose yield is decreased by temp?

Yes. A high temperature has to be used to ensure a decent amount of effective collisions. Pressure however would be wrong as pressure affects equilibrium and not rate of reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

I thought that was horrible! Was i the only one?:(

I said since we are calculating dissolved oxygen air bubbles containing oxygen would affect our result.
    Would that get me the marks??

Jackobyte wrote: »

Damn i didnt do the negative sign, how many marks would i lose for that?

And so was it 0.075 moles then?

I said since we are calculating dissolved oxygen air bubbles containing oxygen would affect our result.
    Would that get me the marks??

If they are being ruthless with the marking scheme, I don't think it will. It all depends on the marking scheme though.

i was going to write uv light but i wondered how is uv light a reagent! it would be a condition to carry out the reaction and if that what he wanted the other two answer would of both been nickle catalyst at 200 degree so had cl2 instead

If they are being ruthless with the marking scheme, I don't think it will. It all depends on the marking scheme though.

But why, what am I leaving out?
    i said air contains oxygen so it would affect the ppm result in the end...

• Advertisement

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i was going to write uv light but i wondered how is uv light a reagent! it would be a condition to carry out the reaction and if that what he wanted the other two answer would of both been nickle catalyst at 200 degree so had cl2 instead

Yeah the 'reagent' threw me I was trying to think of chemicals! But is the nickel catalyst not for turning aldehydes, ketones into alcohols? And what's the 200 degree thingy?! :D

Yeah the 'reagent' threw me I was trying to think of chemicals! But is the nickel catalyst not for turning aldehydes, ketones into alcohols? And what's the 200 degree thingy?! :D
    yes im confused now my self dont bother with the 200 degree i just remember my teacher saying that the nickle has to be at 200 degrees but its never required

But why, what am I leaving out?
    i said air contains oxygen so it would affect the ppm result in the end...

They could specify that they want it mentioned that atmospheric O2 dissolves into the sample. Like I said, I would give you the marks but it will depend on the marking scheme.

They could specify that they want it mentioned that atmospheric O2 dissolves into the sample. Like I said, I would give you the marks but it will depend on the marking scheme.
    im not sure if their going to be thats specific about it all that it says in my book is to prevent air bubbles containing oxygen from affecting the result but if they do i guess ur safe good thinking though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

What were your dissolved oxygen in ppm??? I got 7.52

Also heat of neutralization....4.3kj?

And anyone do the oxidation q with the masses of Al and Fe??

Ok. for the reagent I said 'MnSo4 - manganese sulfate'' instead of manganese (II) sulfate - would i lose a mark or would it be okay cause i had the formula correct?
    And what was the last bit, about it having to be done immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Ok. for the reagent I said 'MnSo4 - manganese sulfate'' instead of manganese (II) sulfate - would i lose a mark or would it be okay cause i had the formula correct?

Photosynthesis/Respiration by organisms in water change dissolved o2 levels in water over

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

I wrote the two as well id say it was a hard paper so theyd give you the marks....

mocker2012 wrote: »
    Photosynthesis/Respiration by organisms in water change dissolved o2 levels in water over

Hmm i didnt really know so I said the amount os dissolved oxygen can change when the sample is exposed to air and light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

The ordinary paper was HORRIBLE I thought gah. I dont care anymore. Never looking at this subject again.

Advertisement