Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Hopefully this exam wont be as disastrous like Biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

RML wrote: »

we can only pray

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

RML wrote: »

If it is that's two As flushed away on me! After history is over I've only chemistry so it'll be hard core from then on.
    The SEC won't **** me over again! (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I loves me some sxc chemistry <33

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

So any predictions anyone? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 WigglinJelly

Anyone have any ideas what is definite to come up? Are you guys leaving out the experiments asked last year?

are you guys leaving out the experiments asked last year?:/
    Oh, and also, what about the experiments that can't be carried out in schools anymore.. they couldn't out those up as long questions.. there'd be uproar!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Oh, and also, what about the experiments that can't be carried out in schools anymore.. they couldn't out those up as long questions.. there'd be uproar!

One of the experiments that can't be done in schools came up last year (I think it was) in part of a long question. It's on the course, so they can put it up.

I'm dreading this exam. One of my worst subjects. :( Anybody have any predictions for the experiments and the main long questions that may come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

I actually wouldn't be surprised if one of the ethanoic acid/ethanal experiments came up. We can't do them yet we're still required to know them, they haven't been taken off the syllabus soo.. Pretty unfair but one of them came up on my mock paper, think it was ethanal
    I'd say just learn them!

yeah thats what my grinds teacher said too.. seems pretty unfair though if we can't actually DO the experiment.

• Advertisement

You never know, theory from them might appear in different places across the exam paper so I'd learn em

will do :) I'm hoping the option question is a nice one.. I have the environmental option about the carbon/nitrogen cycle etc. covered (which I had already done in Biology) so it's handy enough.

yeah thats what my grinds teacher said too.. seems pretty unfair though if we can't actually DO the experiment.

IIRC we done it anyway. Whats the actual problem with doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

My last exam.... can't come soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Those experiments (ethanal/ethanoic acid) are grand, I'd be delighted if one was on the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Yay chemistry........... I just hope this goes well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

For experiments learn the soap, ethanol, and iron tablets.. For organic revise mechanisms and naming and drawing the alkanes etc.. For the options id say electrochemistry. Oh and equilibrium is due <--- awful chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

equilbrium <
    :3 . I actually can't wait for chemistry never thought i'd say this about an exam. As for predictions i think i think a water experiment is going to come up and then titration and an organic obviously. also think that properties of esters experiment will come in section b. anyway good luck all :)

My favourite subject :) A2 in mocks so just to spend a few days to push that up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Love the positivity in this thread, my favourite subject and I've five days off to prepare! And I'm actually motivated because this is my A1 subject and if I don't get it I'll be so mad at myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

My favourite too :3 (with Maths)

Experiments: Ethanal & Iron Tablets.

Not doing the Organic question, so I might do the third experiment question.

a lot of people don't like the organic question! I find it quite easy and a good question to pick up marks on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

The 5 days for it is bliss! I already have tabled out what I'm going to try and cover. It would take a very awkward paper to throw me for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I feel like I'm the only person on this thread who hates this subject and finds it really difficult! :O

Give me some of yer smartness ;)

I'm trying to stay positive about it, but jesus... it's so hard :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

For experiments learn the soap, ethanol, and iron tablets.. For organic revise mechanisms and naming and drawing the alkanes etc.. For the options id say electrochemistry. Oh and equilibrium is due <--- awful chapter.

Used to be anti-equilibrium until about 2 weeks ago, could never make sense of it! now I'm hoping for a full question :D
    Although i still hate those awful equations that you have to remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

I'd LOVE a long Equilibrium question as long as they don't throw in anything about those pesky little Equilibrium Experiments.
    Also, anyone think that the Industrial Chemistry option is LONG overdue? I'll cover myself for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 D0nal

comeclosa wrote: »
    I'd LOVE a long Equilibrium question as long as they don't throw in anything about those pesky little Equilibrium Experiments.
    Also, anyone think that the Industrial Chemistry option is LONG overdue? I'll cover myself for that...

I'm not so sure. the most common case study is IFI Cobh Co. Cork. This plant no longer exists. The SEC love to feel they are so "modern" asking about CFC's and global warming in question 11c

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

As long as everyone has learned off their marking schemes for two years, should be fine!

• Advertisement

Prodigious wrote: »
    My favourite too :3 (with Maths)

Experiments: Ethanal & Iron Tablets.

Not doing the Organic question, so I might do the third experiment question.
    a lot of people don't like the organic question! I find it quite easy and a good question to pick up marks on :o

As in Fuels and Heats q6? Or Q8/9 with the mechanisms etc. I hate the Q8/9, love q6.
    And we had to do most of the organic experiments in a local college but we didn't have a set up per pair so if you didn't have a job you just observed and I don't understand them at all! So I'm hoping for q3 to be nice cause I won't be able to do q2!

Advertisement