Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

Well turns out adding Mg to ethanol also allows H2 gas to form so my method of distinguishing was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Well turns out adding Mg to ethanol also allows H2 gas to form so my method of distinguishing was wrong.

They said simple so I said ethanoic turns blue litmus red.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

First time I hear of "iodoform", but it seems right :) Maybe just different book or something.

Idoform test is from biology haha :) I put that down too!
    Its a test for an alcohol using potassium iodide and sodium hypochlorite. Think we might be cheating slightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

simons545 wrote: »
    Idoform test is from biology haha :) I put that down too!
    Its a test for an alcohol using potassium iodide and sodium hypochlorite. Think we might be cheating slightly...

Haha, the applied maths crowd are the biggest cheaters when it comes to the mechanics question in Physics :)

But do you reckon adding sodium carbonate causing CO2 won't do?

yoppo wrote: »
    They said simple so I said ethanoic turns blue litmus red.

I know! I slip up on the simple questions :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

Thanks but then the initial temp was 14 and it reached 20.9 so should the heat change not be 6.9? Not around 4?

6.9 was temperature change not heat change, you plug in that number to MC(delta)T. (Delta)T=6.9, M=mass in kg so (75cm^3+75cm^3)multiplied by density which was 1. This will give you mass in grams convert to Kg and the plug it into the formula above. C is the no. given in the question 4.3.

your answer will be heat change for 0.075 moles, you need to find the answer for 1mole. so you divide what ever you got by 0.075. that will get you the answer.

noooo are you serious...

I know! I slip up on the simple questions :rolleyes:

I made some simple mistakes in it myself... To make it even worse I have a degree in chemistry :o

Here's hoping for the A1!

6.9 was temperature change not heat change, you plug in that number to MC(delta)T. (Delta)T=6.9, M=mass in kg so (75cm^3+75cm^3)multiplied by density which was 1. This will give you mass in grams convert to Kg and the plug it into the formula above. C is the no. given in the question 4.3.

your answer will be heat change for 0.075 moles, you need to find the answer for 1mole. so you divide what ever you got by 0.075. that will get you the answer.

Sounds familiar anyway!

noooo are you serious...

Yup :rolleyes: Ah well, it's only 5 marks..

• Advertisement

No, the diagram was right in this regard. Water should always flow in from the bottom so it moves slowly around the tube :/

damn it I hope the 2 extra questions will cover me then.

noooo are you serious...

Although I looked up the curriculum there and we are not required to know the reaction of ethanol with Mg so maybe they might give it to us? :p

Although I looked up the curriculum there and we are not required to know the reaction of ethanol with Mg so maybe they might give it to us? :p

Are you sure? We done it in class. It forms sodium ethoxide :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Same as us

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

What were the ansers for question 3?
    ike the burette - i said it would measure a more accurate volume but that it would be slow to add it so would affect accuracy in measuring the temp rise.
    and then i said to measure it as accurately as possibe add quickly plus a lid to avoid heat loss?

oh and for the last bit i said a the lower concentrations would have given a slower reaction so more time for heat losses

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Sounds familiar anyway!

F*ck so hang on I took it as the molarity and didnt divide anything at the end? Ii got 4.3kj/mol?

a sure look i did all 3 experiments and an extra question my a** is safe in the A2 and probably A1

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

xJEx wrote: »
    ike the burette - i said it would measure a more accurate volume but that it would be slow to add it so would affect accuracy in measuring the temp rise.
    and then i said to measure it as accurately as possibe add quickly plus a lid to avoid heat loss?

oh and for the last bit i said a the lower concentrations would have given a slower reaction so more time for heat losses

I remember at some stage our teacher told us that you don't put a base in the burette because it tends to jam the tap and the opening over time so I just wrote that down, couldn't really think of anything else!

xJEx wrote: »

A) Definition
    B) Polystyrene
    C) More accurate, bases cause the tap to stick
    D) Use digital thermometer and use a lid to minimize heat loss
    E) Basic calculation
    F) Corrosive, burn your skin. Triangle symbol with the test tube and hand.

A) Definition
    B) Polystyrene
    C) More accurate, bases cause the tap to stick
    D) Use digital thermometer and use a lid to minimize heat loss
    E) Basic calculation
    F) Corrosive, burn your skin. Triangle symbol with the test tube and hand.

For disadvantage would they accept takes longer to accurately measure?

And what about stirring and using a standard mercury thermometer with more graduations on it and of a low specific heat capacity?

We didnt do it :0

• Advertisement

For disadvantage would they accept takes longer to accurately measure?

And what about stirring and using a standard mercury thermometer with more graduations on it and of a low specific heat capacity?

Longer yeah but its still accurate!

Stirring is alright, more graduations I dunno. Human error still could mess that up. In fairness the marking scheme could say anything!

Longer yeah but its still accurate!

Stirring is alright, more graduations I dunno. Human error still could mess that up. In fairness the marking scheme could say anything!

yeah is it just me or was this a "harder" paper....you know some years there like :confused: and then last year it was:):P ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Is adding quickly alright for a way of ensuring accuracy?

And can you not say the burette would take longer to add so thats a disadvantage? like the burette takes soooo long to empty so the heat rise would be totally inaccurate cause you'd loose loads of heat to surrounding by the time you had added it all?

Is it ok for q 5 when dealing with bohrs theory being modified to talk about the exsistance of sublevels??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Actually for Q6 the bit on benzene what did ye write for the two parts? We had a paragraph on benzene in general but I wasn't too sure about how to go about splitting it up?

yeah is it just me or was this a "harder" paper....you know some years there like :confused: and then last year it was:):P ?

I want the A1 so I had some nerves going in. Bits of it were sticky but overall is was no more difficult. I messed up the calculations slightly in one bit but its not like maths where it carries on. It's one mark for each maths slip! The main theory was easy enough. I'll find out in August!

I want the A1 so I had some nerves going in. Bits of it were sticky but overall is was no more difficult. I messed up the calculations slightly in one bit but its not like maths where it carries on. It's one mark for each maths slip! The main theory was easy enough. I'll find out in August!

Im pretty sure I nabbed my A1....did extra qs to be sure...girls left early in mine in tears :/ so youre lucky :)

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Actually for Q6 the bit on benzene what did ye write for the two parts? We had a paragraph on benzene in general but I wasn't too sure about how to go about splitting it up?

I wrote carbon has 3sp2 hybridized orbitals which is uses to form two sigma bonds to two other carbons and one hydrogen.

for part (ii) i wrote carbon then uses its p orbitals which are above and below the plane of the ring to form pi bonds with carbon using its 6 pi electrons. These 6 pi electrons are delocalised in the ring inferring extra stability which means it has resonance structures. Then I drew benzene.

Yo yoppo did you do the moles per litre of I2 AND O2 did you see that? Also is the steam trap the flaw? cause tbh the taps are fine to me?

• Advertisement

Yo yoppo did you do the moles per litre of I2 AND O2 did you see that? Also is the steam trap the flaw? cause tbh the taps are fine to me?

it was: 200 x Mol I2/1 = 9.4 x .02/2

Because it's 2:1 (said in ques), divide answer above by 2 to get moles/L

Then x32 to get g/L
    Then x1000 to get mg/L
    Thats your answer in ppm

Advertisement