Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura229

Surely that alone wasnt worth 9 marks though?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

There was a pretty bad reaction to the paper from my class, although I thought it was fair enough to be honest. Really hoping I've done enough to secure the A1... Did 10 questions but just kinda found there was a part to most questions which could have the potential to be a bit vague in the marking scheme or parts with just a general sting in them! :/ fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Corrosive for the hazard, yes? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

comeclosa wrote: »

Yes. I drew a hand that resembled a side-view of a rabbit's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

comeclosa wrote: »

Yeah I drew the picture of the test tube leaking on to a hand with a dead fish in the background :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

IMG_0671.JPG

Already hitting me that I was wrong. :(

IMG_0671.JPG

Is n1 not = 2 and n2 = 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

IMG_0671.JPG

But isn't the ratio of the iodine to thiosulfate 1:4?

Is n1 not = 2 and n2 = 1??

:eek:

FUUUUUU*****

Ok. Lesson learned. This is what happens when everything depends on this subject and you're stress levels are at an all time high. This is what happens when you don't read a question properly.

I will remain calm and not shred my exam paper into pieces in frustration. :mad:

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    But isn't the ratio of the iodine to thiosulfate 1:4?

Nope.
    Iodine to Thiosulfate
    1 : 2

Oxygen to Iodine

Therefore
    Oxygen to Thiosulfate
    1 : 4

• Advertisement

Nope.
    Iodine to Thiosulfate

Oxygen to Iodine

Therefore
    Oxygen to Thiosulfate
    1 : 4

Ah yes.

F************

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura229

For the ammonia reaction was it wrong to say high pressure and low temperature?

Ah yes.

F************

hahahaha i'm not alone.
    I'm literally so angry I'm laughing it off.
    hahahaha... wtf???!!

hahahaha i'm not alone.
    I'm literally so angry I'm laughing it off.
    hahahaha... wtf???!!

When I looked at my book like two minutes before the exam I had 1:4 highlighted for the winkler calculations I'm soooooo annoyed at myself now lololololol!

Laura229 wrote: »

Which question was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Laura229 wrote: »

I was gonna do that but then I figured it wasnt that since it was a rates not equil. Q ... pus a low temperature increases yield of ammonia but actualy slows down the rate :/

i said increased concentrations and temperature

What answers did people get for Q3? I got .075 moles, then 4.347 for heat change and 57.96 for heat of reaction

When I looked at my book like two minutes before the exam I had 1:4 highlighted for the winkler calculations I'm soooooo annoyed at myself now lololololol!

So should it have been 1:4?
    Or 2:1 as was suggested in the equation?

I honestly have no idea! Most people here and that I talked to got different to me but I suppose we'll have to wait to view the papers if we have to haha!

I worked with 2:1 for the calculation as we needed the concentration of iodine for the question

Then it asked to work with O2 so I halved the molarity of the iodine. (as 2 moles are liberated for every 1 mole O2)
    And then used this figure for the rest of the calculations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Kingkumar wrote: »
    the safety tube wasnt pushed into the water..

Gas I said "the flask appear to be hovering mid-air so you should put a tripod and gauze underneath" :L Its still true though even if I know they would have used it, they didn't put it in the picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

xJEx wrote: »
    I was gonna do that but then I figured it wasnt that since it was a rates not equil. Q ... pus a low temperature increases yield of ammonia but actualy slows down the rate :/

i said increased concentrations and temperature

Increased pressure would work too as it would cause an increase in collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Gas I said "the flask appear to be hovering mid-air so you should put a tripod and gauze underneath" :L Its still true though even if I know they would have used it, they didn't put it in the picture!

hahaha i was going to put that as well :D

SecondMan wrote: »
    Increased pressure would work too as it would cause an increase in collisions.

Yeah but low temperature wouldn't. It's kind of a messed up question cause temperature would speed it up but it would decrease the yield of ammonia and theyre asking how to speed up the reaction of ''the production of ammonia''

Yeah but low temperature wouldn't. It's kind of a messed up question cause temperature would speed it up but it would decrease the yield of ammonia and theyre asking how to speed up the reaction of ''the production of ammonia''

For production of Ammonia.
    By Le Chatalier, the ideal conditions are high pressure and low temperature.
    High pressures are expensive to maintain and increase risk of explosion. A compromise pressure of 200 atmospheres is used.
    For temperature; if it was too low, the reaction would be too slow and actually slow down production. A compromise temperature of 500 degrees celsius is used.

For production of Ammonia.
    By Le Chatalier, the ideal conditions are high pressure and low temperature.
    High pressures are expensive to maintain and increase risk of explosion. A compromise pressure of 200 atmospheres is used.
    For temperature; if it was too low, the reaction would be too slow and actually slow down production. A compromise temperature of 500 degrees celsius is used.

Yeah I know but it was a rates question not a equilibrium

Yeah I know but it was a rates question not a equilibrium

Sorry I just saw someone mention ammonia production.

For what speeds up rate of reaction.

1. Nature of reactants (are they both ionic or covalent) didn't apply to question
    2. Temperature of reaction
    3. Concentration of reactants
    4. Particle size didn't apply
    5. Presence of a catalyst

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

What answers did people get for Q3? I got .075 moles, then 4.347 for heat change and 57.96 for heat of reaction

Same here but should it have been -57.96 for heat of reaction as it was exothermic and produced heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Glee_GG wrote: »
    I said they had no water in with their cloves. :P The diagram definitely had more than one flaw so they'll have to be generous with the marking scheme on it.

• Advertisement

0mega wrote: »
    Same here but should it have been -57.96 for heat of reaction as it was exothermic and produced heat?

Can I ask how you got the heat change? I had never done a question where the two initial temps were different so I added them both and divided by 2 but I'm guessing that was wrong?

Advertisement