Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Can anyone explain water of crystallisation? :pac:

Talk about insulting going behind your teachers back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Talk about insulting going behind your teachers back :P

Haha I didn't want to overload you with questions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Just going over the experiments and my dream experiment section would be :

Q1 - Iron tablet experiment
    Q2 - Test for anions/flame tests
    Q3 - Heat of reaction between HCL and NaOH

ray2012 wrote: »

Sorry to burst your bubble q2 is ALWAYS organic chem experiments...and HCL and NaOH is tipped :)

Sorry to burst your bubble q2 is ALWAYS organic chem experiments...and HCL and NaOH is tipped :)

Just shows how much I know about the chemistry course/How good I am at chemistry ! :o

Organic chem experiments are usually grand, so hopefully it's ok. Anyone else studying much on the chapter of Water/pH and those experiments? My teacher was sure there was going to be a long question on the pH/water or something I think!

• Advertisement

Q2 will be preparation of ethanoic acid. Mark my words. If not, soap experiment :)

Q2 will be preparation of ethanoic acid. Mark my words. If not, soap experiment :)

I hadn't planned on revising the soap experiment to be honest, I'll go over it now however now that you mentioned it :pac:

Soap came up in either 2009/ or 2010 so id say not...

I hadn't planned on revising the soap experiment to be honest, I'll go over it now however now that you mentioned it :pac:

I wouldnt bother the big two are ethanal and ethanoic acid!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Year in and year out, the following covers you:
    All experiments
    Acids bases pH, Indicators.
    Fuels thermochem
    Chemical equilibrium/Rates
    Radioactivity
    Electrochemistry
    Oxidation and reduction
    Stoichiometry
    Gases
    The basics of Question 5.

This is the exact same as my study plan :pac:

• Advertisement

Soap came up in either 2009/ or 2010 so id say not...

Yeah but soap always appears every 3/4 years so its a possibility. It came up in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

I don't get why people don't study every experiment to perfection? They are guaranteed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

I reckon one of the water experiments is going to make an appearance, most likely the winkler/BOD.. hasn't been on it years

meleanor wrote: »
    This is the exact same as my study plan :pac:

Hi 5

The thermochemistry experiment and recrystallization experiments are long over due. Eyes on those, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

thermochem would be absolutely lovely, actually. I hope you guys are right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

The thermochemistry experiment and recrystallization experiments are long over due. Eyes on those, lads!

What are ya on about ya mad yoke recrystallisation was 2011? :P

What's the thermochem experiment? We don't do them like this.

xJEx wrote: »

Water of crystallisation is due (2006) Crystallisation of benzoic acid was on 2011

My teacher predicted Ethanal/Eth Acid (which seems to correlate with the general consensus here!), and after that I can't remember what she said. I don't really mind though, all titration Q's are similar, you get loads of marks just for knowing your general procedure, and there aren't many of the general experiments and they're all handy enough.

• Advertisement

xJEx wrote: »

Oops meant the water of crystallization!
    And the polystyrene insulator cup thermochem exp!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Water of crystallisation is due (2006) Crystallisation of benzoic acid was on 2011

Oh right the 're' confused me

What's the thermochem experiment? We don't do them like this.

It's really simple so don't panic. You put an acid (HCl) in one cup, a base in another (NaOH) and take the temperature. Wait til they're the same, then mix the two and record the rise. That's the general jist, it should be in your book, you need to know a calculation based on it and some general FAQ's but that's it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I hate working out the value of "x" for the water crystallisation experiment. We had a class test with a question like that, trust me, it is NO fun when your calculator dies mid-question.

woopah92 wrote: »
    I hate working out the value of "x" for the water crystallisation experiment. We had a class test with a question like that, trust me, it is NO fun when your calculator dies mid-question.

KEEP GOING WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!! even if your answer is totaly messed up continue on like it isnt theyll give you full marks for part 2!!

It's really simple so don't panic. You put an acid (HCl) in one cup, a base in another (NaOH) and take the temperature. Wait til they're the same, then mix the two and record the rise. That's the general jist, it should be in your book, you need to know a calculation based on it and some general FAQ's but that's it. :P

Ah thanks! I know it now. It's we do all question 3 experiments together and not chapter by chapter cause we don't have a book- too expensive :P

Ah thanks! I know it now. It's we do all question 3 experiments together and not chapter by chapter cause we don't have a book- too expensive :P

We got a book but our teacher never used it. Literally, she told us to just leave it at home. I'm glad to have it though, the book has really thorough explanations in it and it's a good reference when you need to figure out something you didn't grasp in class.

However, the book I use is severely bloated considering the chem course is actually quite short and simple if you boil it right down to the necessary information, so you've probably been fine without one tbh.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

KEEP GOING WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!! even if your answer is totaly messed up continue on like it isnt theyll give you full marks for part 2!!

I know how to do it and everything, but I was in the middle of an exam this year and the battery on my calculator died. Not a nice feeling. Especially when you can't remember the last figure that was on the calculator :pac:

woopah92 wrote: »
    I know how to do it and everything, but I was in the middle of an exam this year and the battery on my calculator died. Not a nice feeling. Especially when you can't remember the last figure that was on the calculator :pac:

Thats where you go and make sh*t up! Youll still get your marks...I feel like such a school teacher XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

Omfg me too, TCD down first then Ucd for science choice in both but i intend on doing chem...:D
    It's looking like Trinity for me, but I have UCD down as well. You? :)

Hahahaha see you both there then! All depends on the bloody HPAT results in about a week and a bit's time. The general science course in TCD looks good to be honest. Would love to do the biology,chemistry and maths options. Wbu?

Advertisement