Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Can someone state Pauli's Exclusion Principle for me? It's not in my book and we never mentioned it? :p
    Also, earlier in the thread a couple of you mentioned not being able to do the ethanoic acid/ethanal exp.s.. you should come to our class :p we did all of them, including ones that have been completly taken off the course ie ones that were on the old course and the prep room is full of banned chemicals because apparently there only accumatively carcinogenic so were grand :p
    Also the ethanal exp was brilliant, we set the floor on fire with the most amazing green blue flames. Safety first.. :p

Pauli exclusion principle states no more than 2 electrons may occupy an orbital and must be of opposite spin. so only a max of two can be in it and when drawing the elctrons, they must be the opposite way around. :)
    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDFjsK7IJVR3rA6quZ5VR99vwSelGVIlHibBtBMZHx5dayT2w-9Q
    you see the way the thing is the opposite way around, it means opposite spin :)

xJEx wrote: »
    Always get stuck on this one! Pretty sure it's no change - Kc is temp. dependent, not affected by changes in concentration or pressure

No there is a change. It goes from high no of moles to low no of moles. so an increase on Pcl5 but ehat effect does the increase of pcl5 have on Kc?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Always get stuck on this one! Pretty sure it's no change - Kc is temp. dependent, not affected by changes in concentration or pressure

Wait i change my mind - the pressure would affect it

No there is a change. It goes from high no of moles to low no of moles. so an increase on Pcl5 but ehat effect does the increase of pcl5 have on Kc?

That's not what i meant when i said no change I know pressure has an effect on the equilibrium, but anyway it would decrease it caus Pcl5 is on the bottom for Kc remember

That's not what i meant when i said no change I know pressure has an effect on the equilibrium, but anyway it would decrease it caus Pcl5 is on the bottom for Kc remember

Sorry.
    Okay so if the number on the bottom increses, Kc deccrease! :D thanks

****, we're wrong. No effect on Kc as it is only temp dependent. The pressure only affects equilibrium. I checked marking scheme! :D

• Advertisement

Sorry.
    Okay so if the number on the bottom increses, Kc deccrease! :D thanks

****, we're wrong. No effect on Kc as it is only temp dependent. The pressure only affects equilibrium. I checked marking scheme! :D

But I just checked the sample answer on e-xamit and it says it decreases.. Yet i remember my teacher saying what you've just said.. Argh this is so annoying, this is the one answer that seems to always change!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

When there is a system in equilibrium and it asks what change of Kc would an increase in pressure have:
    I know you count no of moles on boths sides la la la .
    But what change of Kc occurs. Say the reactant on the right increase in concentration, what effect does this have on Kc. For an example refer to 201o q7 e
    Think they gave three marks for the normal le chatelier principle approach out of six.
    No effect on Kc because Kc is given at a constant temperature and set at equilibrium. If I'm not mistaken, there is only one Kc value per reaction equation and it applies only at equilibrium. In cases of concentration or pressure changes, the system will readjust itself to satisfy Kc or Kp value.
    But, in case of temperature changes, the value of Kc or Kp changes. Whenever equilibrium shifts to right by the effect of temperature change, Kc and Kp will be greater and whenever equilibrium shifts to left by the effect of temperature change, Kc and Kp will be smaller.
    Wait i change my mind - the pressure would affect it
    You were right the first time :)

simons545 wrote: »
    Think they gave three marks for the normal le chatelier principle approach out of six.

No effect on Kc because Kc is given at a constant temperature and set at equilibrium. If I'm not mistaken, there is only one Kc value per reaction equation and it applies only at equilibrium. In cases of concentration or pressure changes, the system will readjust itself to satisfy Kc or Kp value.
    But, in case of temperature changes, the value of Kc or Kp changes. Whenever equilibrium shifts to right by the effect of temperature change, Kc and Kp will be greater and whenever equilibrium shifts to left by the effect of temperature change, Kc and Kp will be smaller.
    You were right the first time :)

Not according to e-xamit :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

What's everyone prioritising for their last minute stuff? I've gone over most of the chapters at this stage, so I'll probably prioritise my organic chemistry and all the experiments the night before (and morning of), with a quick glance over anything else that's unfamiliar to reassure myself.

Not according to e-xamit :/
    Then e-xamit's wrong :) no joke!

http://pdst.ie/sites/default/files/2010hlms_0.pdf

Q7 (e)
    It is right :) e-xamit has been wrong many a time before.

• Advertisement

What's everyone prioritising for their last minute stuff? I've gone over most of the chapters at this stage, so I'll probably prioritise my organic chemistry and all the experiments the night before (and morning of), with a quick glance over anything else that's unfamiliar to reassure myself.
    I think that's the right approach. Think its safe enough to leave out the benzoic acid question and the other 2 that came up last year in the experiments?
    Organic chemical reactions is a must too! :)

Yeah, I wouldn't rely on e-xamit. Always go for the official marking scheme to be sure of yourself!
    I think that's the right approach. Think its safe enough to leave out the benzoic acid question and the other 2 that came up last year in the experiments?
    Organic chemical reactions is a must too! :)

Organic chemical reactions must be the one part of the course I've never learned off. I'll get on it though, lots of time the night before/morning of to make sure it stays fresh! I don't see them repeating an experiment, but I will do every single one just to cover myself, since they are a guaranteed three questions! :)

can anyone point me in the direction of the panic forum for LC Physics?

can anyone point me in the direction of the panic forum for LC Physics?

Haha you cramming for both chem and physics too? It's tough, right?
    just search physics and you'll see the before/after forum like this one

Year in and year out, the following covers you:
    All experiments
    Acids bases pH, Indicators.
    Fuels thermochem
    Chemical equilibrium/Rates
    Radioactivity
    Electrochemistry
    Oxidation and reduction
    Stoichiometry
    Gases
    The basics of Question 5.

A detailed knowledge of the experiments and the organic section alone gets you at least 4 questions, usually 5. Right?

I like Chemistry, it's a very fair paper if you know your stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'm going over 11 experiments (the ones that haven't been up in a good while/predicted to come up) in a fair bit of detail and I hope 3 of the experiments that I do come up on Tuesday.. Going to go over organic, equilibrium, water, flame tests and the bits for Q5 also.

Does anyone else have 4 subjects left? I have this, physics, app maths and spanish and i feel so overwhelmed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Does anyone else have 4 subjects left? I have this, physics, app maths and spanish and i feel so overwhelmed :(

Me too, I have physics and accounting tomorrow, chem on tues and applied maths, I am going to get very little sleep this week :(

Tengo El Espanol y la contabilidad tambien. Estoy muy cansado ahora!

• Advertisement

Me too, I have physics and accounting tomorrow, chem on tues and applied maths, I am going to get very little sleep this week :(

JESUS CHRIST you frightened me sooooooo Bad!!!!!!!!!
    Tomorrow is sunday..... Phewwww

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Hey at least its better than thinking its friday...and spending half the day in bed :( now ive so much to do in 1.5 days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

That sucks man, in contrast I've had 4-5 days to study for my chemistry and I'm done :D

Hey at least its better than thinking its friday...and spending half the day in bed :( now ive so much to do in 1.5 days!!!

Haha by the looks of things, I think you'll do juuuuuuust fine! :P

Haha by the looks of things, I think you'll do juuuuuuust fine! :P

Meaning?

Phys, Chem, Music, Applied Maths for me. Tough week, though once physics and chem are outta the way it's just a case of not failing the other two, since I hopefully won't need to count them. :P

Phys, Chem, Music, Applied Maths for me. Tough week, though once physics and chem are outta the way it's just a case of not failing the other two, since I hopefully won't need to count them. :P

Ive 3 Physics, chemistry and applied maths which im so not looking forward to :(

Meaning?

From your posts you're clearly brilliant at chemistry :)

From your posts you're clearly brilliant at chemistry :)

Thanks :o although physics Im not so hot at so got that monday....Anyone here actually interested in doing chem in college? Or are you all MED?

• Advertisement

Ive 3 Physics, chemistry and applied maths which im so not looking forward to :(

There is a very high probability I'm going to fail applied maths, which is a shame. I've only looked at 4 Q's in any sort of detail, having only started it after the mocks. I'm annoyed about that, I love the subject so much & I can tell that if I'd done it since 5th year it would be my favourite subject, but I've just no time for it :(

Advertisement