Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

benefits of NOT having a beard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

This whole thing of people not getting a job with a beard is rediculous. People say it to me all the time, you'll never get a job with that beard.
    Unfortunately for them i already have one. A beard shouldnt and generally doesnt matter in most areas.
    I can understand someone working in the food industry not being allowed have a beard but i dont see how a builder, plumber, mechanic, doctor, solicitor, accountant or in my case designer having a beard should be a problem.

Loads of other jobs could be added to that list

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Honestly I think men look best with a bit of stubble..
    Beards make most people look lazy tbh

A well look after beard is a marvel to look at. The time and effort involved is far from lazy.

Stubble would be the lazy option, as they are neither shaving enough or dedicated enough to maintain a well kept beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Real Life wrote: »
    This whole thing of people not getting a job with a beard is rediculous. People say it to me all the time, you'll never get a job with that beard.
    Unfortunately for them i already have one. A beard shouldnt and generally doesnt matter in most areas.
    I can understand someone working in the food industry not being allowed have a beard but i dont see how a builder, plumber, mechanic, doctor, solicitor, accountant or in my case designer having a beard should be a problem.

Loads of other jobs could be added to that list

Irishmen who work in office jobs who are under the age of fifty rarely have facial hair, as far as I can see. Over the age of 50, facial hair seems to be less uncommon.

Ireland is a small place with a conservative outlook on fashion, and beards aren't very fashionable in this country.

I've found that it usually tends to be slightly alternative type girls who tend to prefer bearded men. That said, after the ex Miss Mustard got over her intial distaste for a beard I had previously, she grew to like it.

So overall, I would venture a guess that a beard may be a disadvantage in trying to pick up a more conservative type lady. Of which there are many in this conservative country of ours.

Master of the Universe

So overall, I would venture a guess that a beard may be a disadvantage in trying to pick up a more conservative type lady. Of which there are many in this conservative country of ours.

Why would anyone want a conservative lady? How boring. Freaky deaky all the way. :pac: /strokes beard

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Luckily for me i have no interest in conservative ladys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Complaints from women? Quite the opposite in fact. I've been told I look far too young without it and one in particular enjoyed the brush of it across her nipples as i headed south.

Beards win and you win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

As a woman, beards don't do much for me at all. A bit of stubble is grand but no more than that. My biological instincts must be borked :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    As a woman, beards don't do much for me at all. A bit of stubble is grand but no more than that. My biological instincts must be borked :pac:

you must be a conservative woman then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

(no beard)

You can stand outside a school without being questioned.

Master of the Universe

JD DABA wrote: »
    (no beard)

That's because they think you're a pupil ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's because they think you're a pupil ;)

*high five* :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

IM0 wrote: »
    you must be a conservative woman then :pac:

Not at all, I just prefer a clean-shaven man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

JD DABA wrote: »
    (no beard)

What possible reason could you have for wanting to stand outside a school?
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Not at all, I just prefer a clean-shaven boy :)

There we go.

I've got a beard, a job and have a fair amount of success with women.

Have had only 1 girl tell me I should shave, I laughed at her and decided I didn't want to talk to her anymore.

Had one girl threaten to break up with me if I did shave.... obviously I fell madly in love with her. She is a queen among women with her priorities straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Beards are so great,I'm thinking they should change the name of this forum to

now ye're not shaving

BEARDS.IE

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Is there a beard appreciation thread. Also. Is there like a place where bearded men can sit in armchairs in front of a fire with brandy and discuss man things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Is there a beard appreciation thread. Also. Is there like a place where bearded men can sit in armchairs in front of a fire with brandy and discuss man things?

This needs to happen...to the forum requests!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

This needs to happen...to the forum requests!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

For all your talk of beards being attractive to the opposite sex it seems to me that the people most enamoured with beards are other guys.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland may have been a so-called "conservative" country up to now but it is changing pretty fast these days and from what I can see - beards among young men are far, far more popular than at any time in my living memory (I'm 38 BTW and have a beard).

There probably hasn't been any time since at least the early 1970s when facial hair wasn't more popular.:pac:

BTW us gayers also love having beards and admiring hot hirstute men too. Anyone here heard of bears? ;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So are you saying that one of the advantages of not having a beard is that the Gayers will lose interest in you?

You, sir, are a closet heteromophobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Because of my job I can't grow a beard.... But I'd love to, in fact I've often thought of taking leave with the sole intention of growing a beard.

Benefits to not having a beard (for me) ~ none that I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Cos they are gay

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Shaving every day is a real pain though thankfully we do not have to lock our feet to the floor:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Because of my job I can't grow a beard.... But I'd love to, in fact I've often thought of taking leave with the sole intention of growing a beard.

Benefits to not having a beard (for me) ~ none that I can think of.

I was just about to post something similar. The job I've had for the last year requires me to be clean shaven. It's a handy number, but I always had a beard going on before, it was never a problem in other jobs. The call of the beard is getting stronger and stronger. I'd leave in a heartbeat if I could get a job somewhere where I don't have to shave.
    This is one of the major effects the economic collapse of Ireland has had on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Can I ask, what jobs do you have that state no beards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Nemeses wrote: »
    Can I ask, what jobs do you have that state no beards?

I know when it comes to Hotel work you have to be clean shaven.

and if you work for Abercrombie and Fitch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I work in a bar. The owner is old school, a decent bloke. But he does insist on being clean shaven, which I learned when I turned up unshaven when I started there. I worked in various music venues before the crash (bars have been badly hit by the recession) where it wasn't an issue. The job is a handy number, but there's no way I'm being having to be clean shaven for the long term. Problem is, there's f*ck all bar work out there at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

There is only one benefit of not having a beard, you can grow one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

gurramok wrote: »
    Shavers can feel pain and are not afraid of a bit of spilled blood like a real man, instead of beard wimps who cry at the thought of a sharp blade to the face!;)

<rubs 7 inch scar from having neck sliced open 4 years ago>
    <strokes beard>

Riveting tale, chap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'll just leave this here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Festy wrote: »
    I know when it comes to Hotel work you have to be clean shaven.

Depends on what your job position is in hotels. I work as a kp in a hotel and have a very hairy beard. No-one has ordered me to shave it and if they ever do then I'll quit my job.

Advertisement