Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jokes by stand-up comedians that have been done to death

Options

Comments

Laughter Lounge on Good Friday

Irish people unable to go out without drink for the 1 day a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

In the process of researching for this post, I took a look at Karl Spain's Wikipedia page. Seems like whoever wrote it is a big fan:
    In March 2010 Karl began a tour as supporting act to fellow Irish comedian, Ed Byrne. His style is self-deprecating, and his humour appeals to a broad age range. His material includes some audience feedback items with impromptu gags in response to his "victim", and also focuses on male "laddish" culture such as stag-night exploits. It is fresh and inventive, and will not shock or offend most mainstream comedy audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Gina Yashere on Mock the week

Miss 'I'll just put on a Nigerian accent and no one will notice my jokes aren't funny'

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

LizT wrote: »
    Gina Yashere on Mock the week

Miss 'I'll just put on a Nigerian accent and no one will notice my jokes aren't funny'

Give it a rest.

Don't forget that things said in a Nigerian accent must also be shouted.

'MAH MUDDAH USED TO BEEAT MAH EVE-RRRY DAHY'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

You probably deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

this is all news to me :(

I need to lift this rock and get out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I don't blame the comedians, I blame the audience.

Comedians job is to make large groups of people laugh. People love the old jokes.

Of course the more self aware, discerning types on Boards aren't so easy to keep happy, but the masses in general want repeat repeat repeat.

Same reason the likes of U2 and the Kings of Leon gain massive popularity despite not doing anything originally new for over a decade......people buy that $hit!

Say anything to Irish people along the lines of "typical Irish, we just love a drink" and they'll be giggling away in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

Female comedians talking about how stupid their boyfriend/husband/whatever is. Wrecks my head, come up with something original!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Funnily enough Andrew Maxwell has been based in London for years. :pac:

Getting loads of work is he? not really. He might be based in London but it is not because he is in demand over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Anything to do with self service checkouts and the whole 'unexpected item in the bagging area' routine.

How the f*ck do they not know that at least 30 other comedians have made reference to the same fooking thing??!! It's actually cringeworthy- get a new joke, d1ckheads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Getting loads of work is he? not really. He might be based in London but it is not because he is in demand over there.

Currently doing live dates in Ireland & recording in England, plus a month long show at the Edinburgh festival, he's not exactly on the dole queue now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

On Quiz shows Ed Byrne always answers the question correctly and not funnily. Fair play to him in a way. He is extraordinarily lucky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I wish that people would stop putting Gina Yashere on the television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know it pains you to hear this but he's actually pretty well regarded in England.

He also co-founded the Altitude festival which is wildly popular and he runs late night gigs in London too which I hear are always in high demand.

It's funny though (and I'm the same believe me) but when people don't like a comedian they really don't want to hear that they're popular with others. There's something basic and primal about the hatred comedians get, more so than actors or singers I think.

Weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 WestEnder

Where's me washboard, eh?
    i don't get it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Wannabe Frankie Boyles who lack any of his senses of wit and irony, and think that all they have to do is make as offensive a comment as possible to get a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The difference between men and women

You gonna have to have some TOP material to even go near this subject- it has been done to death

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Also jokes about 'Bully's Special Prize' in 'Bullseye' always being a speedboat.

Some of the winners would have loved a speedboat, it was no joke for these lads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

WestEnder wrote: »
    i don't get it:confused:

How quueer!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I can't think of one mainstream Irish comic who i would pay to go see anymore,it's a tragedy.

Reginald D Hunter is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How quueer!

I've seen you wrapping presents when it's nobodies birthday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Reginald D Hunter is remarkable.
    Love him. And I don't agree with someone else on this thread who says RDH keeps going on about being black. It's Chris Rock who does that - although I still think Chris Rock is hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Love him. And I don't agree with someone else on this thread who says RDH keeps going on about being black. It's Chris Rock who does that - although I still think Chris Rock is hilarious.

I think some people see black comics and think "oh here's another one of those",when in fact it has moved on quite a lot since the black comics of the 90's.

Can't stand chris rock myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Agricola wrote: »
    Karl Spain was in two gigs I saw in Kilkenny in consecutive years. In both he did the "If you don't know who the fúcking egit is in your group of friends, you're the fúcking egit!" routine.

And no, I didnt get a refund!

Apart from that hes a sound fella and a great commentator of bad football.

I've been single now for eh about 5 eh stone....

Ok we can see you're a chubby lad.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I think some people see black comics and think "oh here's another one of those",when in fact it has moved on quite a lot since the black comics of the 90's.

Can't stand chris rock myself :pac:

Hannibal Buress is brilliant!

fyp

Have you seen The Fifth Element ?

That's the other Chris.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meangadh wrote: »
    I don't mind comedians using the same jokes within a year or so, but after that if they haven't made up something else it's just flippin lazy.
    I really must go and see Ken Dodd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's the other Chris.
    ta.

Must have got them mixed up because they were just as unfunny as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

darkdubh wrote: »
    "we were the only Jews in an Italian neighbourhood "

So when I saw a bagel, I didn't know whether to eat it or shove it up my ass.

One for the Stewart Lee fans. :D

Advertisement