Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Time Work...What a load

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

I DO know because someone already said it?:confused: And I already responded to all this so why should I repeat myself if you´re not going to bother reading posts? You still haven´t commented on the fact that I said we pay more than just PAYE?

Part-time workers DO contribute. Do I have to keep repeating myself?? :confused:

I don't think anyone said that Part Time workers don't contribute to the tax take. You seem to be muddling up what was said to you. OldNotWise pointed out that your PAYE deduction was smaller than 20% of gross because of tax credits. Later on, he said that the OP might get the state pension (non contributory) pension if he didn't have enough stamps. At no stage did he or anyone else say that part time workers don't contribute to the tax take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I paid a substantial amount of taxes because I was on 14 Euro per hour and I worked 24 hours a week part-time (3 sometimes 4 full days), sometimes 28. I earned more than I do now. Not saying all part-time workers earn that kind of salary but not all part-time workers work minimum wage jobs and I get the impression you´re presuming they are.

You say they don´t contribute (again it depends on their earnings) but they pay VAT like the rest of us, which is paid on every product/service we buy.

I was wrong about the state pension. I stand corrected on that. Glad to read that. The fact that a part-time wokers works at all and contributes some tax (which depends on earnings) would surely exclude it from a non-contributory state pension though? Do you know?

No, wasn't assuming that they are all on low wages, just making the point that they would have to be on a high rate to be paying big tax.

Re pension, I'm not entirely sure. The contributory one is based on contribution bands, of which I think there are about 4/5 depending on how much you have contributed for your whole working life. So less contributions would mean a lower contributory state pension. That said, afaik even the lowest band of contributory pension is still higher than the non-contributory, and rightly so I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

What about PRSI? Don´t part-time workers pay the full whack of that?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    No, wasn't assuming that they are all on low wages, just making the point that they would have to be on a high rate to be paying big tax.

Re pension, I'm not entirely sure. The contributory one is based on contribution bands, of which I think there are about 4/5 depending on how much you have contributed for your whole workign life. So less contributions would mean a lower contributory state pension. That said, afaik even the lowest band of contributory pension is still higher than the non-contributory, and rightly so I think.

So surely a part-time workers would get the lowest contributory pension?

So surely a part-time workers would get the lowest contributory pension?

Like I said, it depends on overall contributions throughout your working life. You're not automatically put on a lower band because you're part time. The rate is pretty much directly proportional to how much you have contributed. Seems like the only fair way to do it.

Separate from that is the non- contributory for those who do not have enough/any credits.

edit: be warned though, there is some discrepancy that I vaguely remember. Something to do with a break in work or something. My Dad had "stamps" registered for him from when he was very young (in his teens) and did a bit of work, but only started substantive work after, and afaik they still counted the years in between so that his "average" contributions were not as high as they should have been. Or something... confused :/ Citizens advice website is brill for this sort of thing btw :)

• Advertisement

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Just some quick questions for the OP. When he gets sick who will pay his doctor, hospital bills, etc? Yep we stooges will because if he's working part-time he's basically paying no tax.
    Who paid for his education? yep more 40 hour stooges.
    When he gets too old to work who'll provide his pension? yep us again.
    I am a full time worker and proud to be so. I was brought up to be socially conscious, that we who can work do to help educate and care for those who need it. I love my job, it's fun, challenging, has a chance at career progression and if I do it right I help other businesses to run better.
    I also have time for family, friends, hobbies etc. I take great holidays because I can, I pay my bills and occasionally treat myself to nice things. My husband and I also pay into a savings account, two pension accounts, health insurance and life assurance.
    We enjoy our lives, we are not stressed most of the time, we like what we do. OP if you can cover yourself working part-time, can save enough to cover yourself when sick and old and are sure that living in a house share is what you want forever, off you go. I just don't think it's fair to then ask us, who you seem to see as nothing but mindless plebs to cover your ass when you can't.

Oldnotwise, it was this post I was disputing all along. Part-time workers get what they´re entitled to. We´re not keeping them afloat. As you said, what they receive is in relation to what they´ve contributed and as you said, rightly so. They choose to live a meagre life but it means sacrificing things like doctor´s appointments (no medical card) and a decent pension. It doesn´t affect you as a full-time worker.

Oldnotwise, it was this post I was disputing all along. Part-time workers get what they´re entitled to. We´re not keeping them afloat. As you said, what they receive is in relation to what they´ve contributed and as you said, rightly so. They choose to live a meagre life but it means sacrificing things like doctor´s appointments (no medical card) and a decent pension. It doesn´t affect you as a full-time worker.

What doesnt affect me? Sorry I'm having a blonde moment :)

What doesnt affect me? Sorry I'm having a blonde moment :)

Reread the post you thanked (Barbiegirl´s post) and it´ll make sense. The idea that full-time workers are covering part-time workers´arses is not true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Reread the post you thanked (Barbiegirl´s post) and it´ll make sense. The idea that full-time workers are covering part-time workers´arses is not true.
    Full time workers are covering everyones ass.

Part time workers are entitled to claim a medical card, a welfare stipend, rent allowance, single parent allowance and a whole host of other benefits. If they earn less than x amount.

What about PRSI? Don´t part-time workers pay the full whack of that?
    Based on the information above (€14 * 24hours per week * 52 weeks = €17,472 per annum) you wouldn't pay any PRSI.

Net tax €194, USC €542

The Deloitte tax calculator gives the following:
    http://www.deloitte.ie/tc/
    Total Income €17,472.00
    Your Income €17,472.00
    Loan BIK €0.00
    Vehicle BIK €0.00
    Health Insurance BIK €0.00
    Qualifying Pension Deduction (€0.00)
    Carer Allowance (€0.00)
    Tax @ Lower Rate 20 % €3,494.40
    Tax @ Higher Rate 41 % €0.00
    Tax Credits (€3,300.00)
    Net Tax (€194.00)
    PRSI (€0.00)
    Universal Social Charge (€542.00)
    Annual Net Income €16,736.00
    Monthly Net Income €1,395.00
    Weekly Net Income €322.00

• Advertisement

ok...but my question was..."what doesnt apply to me?"....

Sorry but still no clearer. The post that I thanked?? I re-read it, so what?

I couldn't be arsed with this. Sorry! :)

I couldn't be arsed with this. Sorry! :)

:confused:

Starting to think you dont know what was meant either?

Simple question... :(

:confused:

Starting to think you dont know what was meant either?

Simple question... :(

Maybe you're right. Maybe I've no idea what I meant. Enjoy your day. :)

Edit: You're right in fact - I'm talking out of my arse. I have a tendency to do that. I also get bored of these debates as they have no bearing on my own life, so again, I'll leave it there.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I've no idea what I meant. Enjoy your day. :)

Edit: You're right in fact - I'm talking out of my arse. I have a tendency to do that. I also get bored of these debates as they have no bearing on my own life, so again, I'll leave it there.

ok....sorry to be a pain, genuinely didnt understand the post :( anyway hope you have a good one too :) all the best

ok....sorry to be a pain, genuinely didnt understand the post :( anyway hope you have a good one too :) all the best

You weren't a pain. The point made sense in my head but perhaps it doesn't. I don't even know anymore. :-/

Advertisement