Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Time Work...What a load

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Quit then if it's causing you so much unbearable anguish.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Lemon La Vida Loca is on......night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Do what I done, took a small pay cut to do less hours and take a bit of pressure off. You can still work full time and enjoy your life, its not one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

MadYaker wrote: »
    I did it last summer and the summer before and it can be sh!t at times. But I was only earning a little over minimum wage and I was rolling in it by the end of the summer as my living costs are low. Do you not like the extra money?

The difference between my average part-time pay and my full time pay isn't a whole lot, when you consider all the time I'm losing...

Average part time wage 180€ a week with no tax been paid
    Full Time pay 380€ a week before tax

The dream would be to get a semi full/part time number something like a 25-30 hour week, with consecutive days off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Senna wrote: »
    Do what I done, took a small pay cut to do less hours and take a bit of pressure off. You can still work full time and enjoy your life, its not one or the other.

Not available to me in the company I'm in, the company I work are very rigid with hours, like I needed to negotiate to have one of my days off as a Friday, and the Area and Regional managers weren't keen on it, only for my manager fought my corner with me... and I can't get Saturdays off...well unless I take a weeks holidays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I'd kill for a job at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd kill for a job at the minute

Hitman's what you're looking for, worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Somebody made up work, its not a natural state for a human....think of this, 20,000 kids die every day from hunger related causes but people think their doing the right thing making some widget that no one really needs...the world is mental so don't bother playing by its rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I imagine if this thread was started by a single female with a dependent she would be a crispy knackered inbred couch potato ho skank and told to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

pharmaton wrote: »
    I imagine if this thread was started by a single female with a dependent she would be a crispy knackered inbred couch potato ho skank and told to get a job.

You forgot the 6 brats with 5 different fathers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Naw mang, was talking about lifting jewlry mang.

Ju know, I thank ju for say this. Nex time ju in mijami ju come see me, jes?

I'd rather work full time (and extra hours on top if necessary) to have money to enjoy my time off and have much more comforts in life than scrape by on a pittance with no money for anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'd have to agree op- for €380 a day, I wouldn't bother either. No mon, no fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

So been working full time for 6 weeks now and all I've got to say about it is... that it totally sucks...

Why in the name of superman(or buddha/god/who or whatever you believe in) would someone do a full time job, I was working part time and it was grand was making enough money to cover myself and save some, but then a full time position became available and i took it:o Taking the full time job is starting to feel like a serious mistake. I've had to pretty much give a lot of things I really enjoy:mad:

Trying to get to the gym, train and eat properly is genuinely difficult never mind having some time to relax. At times I'm finding myself missing my life as a dolee(cycling 300km a week & gym 3-4 times a week) or even as a part timer(less cycling & gym 3-4 times a week).

I think people who rag on the dolee's on here are doing because they are jealous, cause the dolee's have the right idea...

I've a few mates on the dole, one trains all he wants and is always doing different things, the other is off on his 4 holiday of the year already(yes thats 4 trips abroad since January)

/rant

Not being smart, but how do you not have time for these? I work full time AND go to college (although I'm off for the summer now), and I still manage to work out in bootcamp classes 4 times a week, go running three or four times a week, and do any other exercise I feel like doing, plus relax, see my friends and sleep. It's about balance and learning to manage your time.

Tbh, you sound as though you've never worked full time before, considering how difficult you're finding it. It's not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I hate working full time, but not as much as I love having money.

Nothing is as comfortable as sleeping in a big pile of 50 euro notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

You have been working full time for 6 weeks????? How does it suck already? Thats called laziness. I work full time, went 2 years without a job and hated it. Got a job then about 2 and a half years ago and now im earning good money every week, I have my own house, own car, I take 2 holidays a year abroad, last year i had 2 months off work PAID because the company I work for just pay a 39 hour week and any extra hours go towards holidays on top of the 2 weeks a year im guaranteed anyway. You dont have to give up on the things you enjoy doing juust because you work. Mate of mine starts work at 8am Mon-Fri and he goes to the Gym 3 times a week at 5am. Cycles on Wednesday evenings when he gets home just to breakthe week up. Its all about getting a routine for yourself. IMO if you just gave up and went on the dole you would get bored of it and thats the cowards way out (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I've often asked myself whether I should stay in college and make a career that way working long hours for the rest of my life to support some family I will have in the future with no financial worries and a life of comfort or go on the dole and find a hobby to make my job. To be honest the latter sometimes appeals to me more when I think of enjoying my career but at the same time it offers no security. I think I would get bored soon enough on the dole. However I do feel that there is enough on the dole for a single person to live an enjoyable yet minimalistic life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

It's a necessity for 99.9% of people op.

Obviously you don't have car loan, mortgage, kids, and a lsd habit to worry about ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The risk of going on the dole as a lifestyle choice, is that while current levels might support the lifestyle you want, it may be cut later and there is not a lot you can do
    i.e. go on strike, threaten to switch to another dole provider etc.

Also it is easy to switch later on from work to dole, but not so easy to switch the other way.

Maybe part-time is the answer, as you get better value per hour worked (due to the tax system)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Eathrin wrote: »
    I've often asked myself whether I should stay in college and make a career that way working long hours for the rest of my life to support some family I will have in the future with no financial worries and a life of comfort or go on the dole and find a hobby to make my job. To be honest the latter sometimes appeals to me more when I think of enjoying my career but at the same time it offers no security. I think I would get bored soon enough on the dole. However I do feel that there is enough on the dole for a single person to live an enjoyable yet minimalistic life.

In all honesty, I have seen this on a few forums, is this what you really would aspire to?

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    It's a necessity for 99.9% of people op.

Obviously you don't have car loan, mortgage, kids, and a lsd habit to worry about ;-)

True, if you want a car.

But don't the government provide housing if you can't afford it, and offer a child's allowance plus free education etc. for kids.?

LSD they can offer free services to help you quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

True, if you want a car.

But don't the government provide housing if you can't afford it, and offer a child's allowance plus free education etc. for kids.?

LSD they can offer free services to help you quit.

Clearly I'm a very bad joker re LSD habit. I won't give up my day job so.

My point being, most people prefer to earn every penny to put food on the table instead of relying on the government to provide for them.

And before I get linched, I'm definitely not saying everyone on the dole wants to be on it. I'm talking about the seasoned dole claimed who never has and never will work a day in their life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

A full time job is grand if you enjoy what your doing. If, like many of us you don't like your job and cant get a better one its a pain. The dole is last resort in my opinion. What kind of living can you do on 188 euro a week. I don't think its a problem if someone wants to work part-time. Why call it laziness? Even if it is laziness, that's no crime. I used to work five days a week and pay tax at 41% so I cut down to three days a week and only pay tax at 20%. Life is more enjoyable. Just because some people have to work full-time to fulfill their responsibilities or choose to work full-time doesn't mean we should all do the same. Its great the way we all judge each other by our standards and our own biased opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This is a just shit-stirring thread. Suprised it's 4 pages in.

In another country this wouldn't even be a discussions. If you work you have money, and hence can live a better life.

But given the relatively generous dole allowance and benefits package in Ireland, and the high taxation on those to do work (especially full-time), it does become somewhat of a lifestyle choice.

cruais wrote: »
    Clearly I'm a very bad joker re LSD habit. I won't give up my day job so.

!

I know you're joking, but it just goes to show that anything you feel you need but cannot afford on the dole, is more than likely provided free of charge by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

I haven't worked in 8 years. the thought of going back scares the S**T out of me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I love work. Working stops me enjoying myself, because when I enjoy myself, **** gets crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Camrat wrote: »
    I haven't worked in 8 years. the thought of going back scares the S**T out of me,

Going straight back to full time is a big adjustment, your whole lifestyle changed so dramatically but it doesn't take too long to get used to it IMHO, when you haven't been working for a while it's natural to have that nervousness about such a major life change but it's a mindset that you can overcome quite quickly once you actually start working.

In my experience if you go from not working at all to full time on a new job, you have plenty to distract you from the strangeness. Learning about the new job, the way the company likes things to be done, getting to know new colleagues, even getting familiar with the journey to & from work and stuff. All helps to keep you too occupied to dwell on what a big shock to the system it is.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Everyone should just stop working and go on the dole.

It'll be grand.

Advertisement