Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Blue850

33641673.jpeg

2003 Vel Satis 3.5 petrol, €999

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Eh, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

If that's around next week I'm gonna break myself and buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Blue850 wrote: »
    33641673.jpeg

2003 Vel Satis 3.5 petrol, €999
    "Needs a service...

all our cars come fully serviced, NCTd and ready for the road."

The above is just nitpicking. :)

Ad does say "Trade sale - sold as seen!!"

The engine alone, if good, must be worth the asking price.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

......Annnnnnnnd Sold.
    Didnt take long to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Serious question, when ye buy the likes of that 735i, do ye just not bother tax them at all and sell in 6 months, or just build the tax cost into the overall ownership cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Consider tax as part of ownership cost.

Maybe if you're buying something very cheap where the purchase price is less than a years tax you could play "drive it until they confiscate it"....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Serious question, when ye buy the likes of that 735i, do ye just not bother tax them at all and sell in 6 months, or just build the tax cost into the overall ownership cost?

My brother does the latter (build it into the ownership cost)

His argument would be - your getting the car cheaper in the first place due to the tax - well at least partially due to the tax - and that you should look at the total ownership cost - not just one aspect of it.

Thing to remember with something like the 735i - is that its going to depreciate less then a new car - simply because the actual cost of buying it in the first place is LESS then the depreciation on a new car.

So you can either pay tax on the 735i - or pay depreciation on the new car.

Theres no right or wrong really - you look at the car - look at its TOTAL running costs - and figure out if its worth it :).

In reality - your not going to be choosing between the 735i or a brand new car - as the people looking at the 735i won't be into buying new cars - and the new car buyer isn't going to want a 735i.

But it does illustrate that there are other running costs in motoring like depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I factored in the cost of tax when I bought mine. Purchase price inc 1 years tax: €4300. Wouldn't get much else as nice for the money!

I guess with these cars you buy them for a finite period of time, get your fun out of it and try to avoid major jobs. All you lose is tax really, car is worth 1000s in parts if worst comes to worst. After the year you sell it on for much the same purchase price, but you've obviously lost the tax you paid.

These cars really only cost you money if you plan on keeping them for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Old diesel wrote: »
    In reality - your not going to be choosing between the 735i or a brand new car - as the people looking at the 735i won't be into buying new cars - and the new car buyer isn't going to want a 735i.

At some point in the early noughties I made the step from owning nearly new small engined Japanese cars (bought when 3 years old, sold when 6 years old) to buying 7-10 year old V8 petrol BMWs

My mileage is below average and the total cost of owning the big engined BMWs (including the maximum motor tax) was lower than owning mediocre, reliable boring newish Japanese cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

unkel wrote: »
    At some point in the early noughties I made the step from owning nearly new small engined Japanese cars (bought when 3 years old, sold when 6 years old) to buying 7-10 year old V8 petrol BMWs

My mileage is below average and the total cost of owning the big engined BMWs (including the maximum motor tax) was lower than owning mediocre, reliable boring newish Japanese cars...

Did you have any big bills on the V8s? If I get working back in Dublin I would love to replace my passat with something like a 7 series.

Nope, no problems / big bills at all. Spent €1k on a complete suspension overhaul on the 735i once though, but that was at 140k miles. Most cars would need some serious suspension work by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You buy it bear1? :)

Nope :( I did buy however a 04 Accord estate today :)

the problem of upgrading to new - or still fairly new (up to 3 years old) - is that even if you forget depreciation - each upgrade in itself costs hard cash.

A few weeks ago - I thought of shelling out 11 k for a car in the 3 to 4 year old type age bracket.

Even with the cash in the bank I can't bring myself to do it.

Ive no intention of paying 1800 euro tax either - but I think I could justify 1800 euro tax on a 735i bought at small money - faster then 11 k in a 3 year old car.

I have no desire to own a 735i type car at the moment mind you - but mother of god - did I actually think 11 k on a Skoda was a good idea just weeks ago.

What was I thinking :D

Sorry for the random nature of my last post - but thinking about actual hard figures in money terms does cause considerable food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You're right to question it, it's not for everybody. I did similar to what you contemplate, paid a fair bit for my 8 year old 740 and still have the big tax bill. But to me, if you're Luxobarging it, do it right and get a nice example, not an early model with high miles and low spec. Whilst everyone is blown away by the 7s, Ss and 8s initally, with their size, leather and comparative power, most of them in this country are scraping the barrel spec wise.

That I couldn't justify.

You're right to question it, it's not for everybody. I did similar to what you contemplate, paid a fair bit for my 8 year old 740 and still have the big tax bill. But to me, if you're Luxobarging it, do it right and get a nice example, not an early model with high miles and low spec. Whilst everyone is blown away by the 7s, Ss and 8s initally, with their size, leather and comparative power, most of them in this country are scraping the barrel spec wise.

That I couldn't justify.

I guess what i was contemplating was different to you in that i was thinking about spending 11 k on a normal 3 year old hatchback - should have being more clearer :( apologies

Obviously that sounds irrelevant to this thread - but i was thinking about it in terms of looking at the overall cost of a car - ie 11 k is quite a lot - and would cancel out savings you might make in other areas - if an alternative car was costing a lot less.

In other words - on a 3 k car - the difference between 3 k and 11 k would pay a lot of tax and pay other costs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

bear1 wrote: »
    Nope :( I did buy however a 04 Accord estate today :)

happy sw motoring..... all that space hmmmm fit an entire kitchen in it and still have room for the dogs lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

You see my thinking would be, buy a big gas guzzler like that 750 posted the other day, tax for three months, drive for six, then sell, rinse and repeat. Not much to go wrong with that plan as far as I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You see my thinking would be, buy a big gas guzzler like that 750 posted the other day, tax for three months, drive for six, then sell, rinse and repeat. Not much to go wrong with that plan as far as I can see...
    You can't do the 'two months off' tax dodging any more. I'm not sure if they have reduced the grace period before seizure under the new rules.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Esel wrote: »
    You can't do the 'two months off' tax dodging any more. I'm not sure if they have reduced the grace period before seizure under the new rules.

You can do the 2 months dodge if you just continue to drive for the 2 months then sell it after.
    Still I don't believe in that myself. Tax it if ya want to drive it.
    I see other problems with the plan. An expensive car like that could quite likely need an expensive repair within the ownership period and don't assume it would be easy to offload either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

33785239.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-430/7829314

A 4.3 v8, all 300bhp.... probably get it for under €1k

Yes it needs an NCT, but these yokes are practically bullet proof

Nice car, nice spec, but worth only about that with a long NCT imho

Lots of sellers of big engined bangernomics cars, very few buyers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

33719795.jpeg

89 500 SEC

I know it's €5500, but I saw it at Kealy Motors Sandyford last year for €3500, so there's definitely room to move there.

Clean car and very nice respray done (seen with mine own eye)

Don't know about tinworm to rear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

^ That belongs to my dream garage :D

Always loved these yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if it was 3.5 id take it, would love a 560 but that 500 is nice. Is it just me or have the seats been replaced / re-trimmed, dont think perforated leather was in mercedes bag in 89

if it was 3.5 id take it

Two chances someone is gonna pay €5.5k for it. Give it a few weeks, go have a looksee with a bag of €3.5k cash and if you like it, wave it in front of their face?

BTW the NCT on the Merc is only out since the end of August. Not a bad sign, but why didn't the dealer renew it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Don't they often wait until the sale, saying "car will come with new NCT" in order to give a full 12 month NCT?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement