Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

6 miles this evening on grass @6:55 pace. I forgot what its like to run in calm weather! Lovely night for running and I felt good. Very enjoyable :)

Track session tonight of 4x400m with a 90 second recovery, 7 minute break, 4x200m with a 90 second recovery. 2 mile warm up and down.

Times were: 65, 65, 65, 64 and 29, 29, 29, 29.

Very happy with this session tonight. Good conditions for a session with only a bit of mist. I was surprised with this session, didn't feel as good warming up as I did doing the session. Very tough overall and could really feel it on the last 200 but managed to keep it under 30 seconds. Got through the 400s OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's quality, great session.

You're rocketing.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

When you compare today's session with the 4x600m off 3 mins from 31st Dec, it's clear that progress is being made, and that's what it's all about. Good stuff.

Stazza wrote: »
    When you compare today's session with the 4x600m off 3 mins from 31st Dec, it's clear that progress is being made, and that's what it's all about. Good stuff.

Thanks, I'm definitely noticing the progress, even doing yesterdays session I felt much stronger compared to the 600s and last Fridays session. Should set me up well for the indoors :)

• Advertisement

6 miles on grass tonight @6:59 pace. Fairly tired after yesterdays session and probably should have taken it handier. Good conditions for a run though and not too cold either.

3k indoor race this morning in Nenagh for the Munster Championships. I was feeling fairly good all week and last Tuesdays session proved that I'm in decent enough shape. Took Friday off and went out for an easy 4 miler around the roads yesterday morning and felt great, I held myself back so just took it handy.

Did my standard 2 mile warm up and usual drills/strides and was feeling good and there was a nice bounce in the legs so I was fairly confident. It was my first ever 3k race so really I didn't no what to expect. I kept a fairly consistent pace and was a bit to cautious and went through the 1k in 3:07. I was feeling OK at this point and the first kilometer seemed to go right quick, before I knew it I was at the 1 mile mark and hit 5:01, still a relatively consistent pace. Still feeling OK I was slowly reeling in a few lads ahead of me and at the 2k point I was at 6:16, 2 seconds slower than my first kilometer. I was beginning to get a bit tired at this stage but tried to pick it up anyway and crossed the line in 9:24.

Splits were: 3:07, 3:09, 3:08.
    Overall time: 9:24

Overall I'm fairly happy with this race, I hadn't raced since last October so I expected this to be much tougher than it actually was with the usual burning lungs! I went out a bit too cautious and although I kept a very consistent pace I think I could have ran faster if I wasnt worrying too much about time and just went out harder. I wasn't absolutely wrecked after the race, I've felt much worse after a session of 1ks which makes me think I could have run faster. I went out for my warm down a few minutes afterwards and the legs felt grand. I reckon I could be close to 9:15 shape at the moment. I'm still happy with my time since its a pb (first ever 3k) and knowing I could probably run faster makes me even more confident going into my next race. A good blowout and a good way to start the year :)

pa4 wrote: »
    3k indoor race this morning in Nenagh for the Munster Championships. I was feeling fairly good all week and last Tuesdays session proved that I'm in decent enough shape. Took Friday off and went out for an easy 4 miler around the roads yesterday morning and felt great, I held myself back so just took it handy.

Did my standard 2 mile warm up and usual drills/strides and was feeling good and there was a nice bounce in the legs so I was fairly confident. It was my first ever 3k race so really I didn't no what to expect. I kept a fairly consistent pace and was a bit to cautious and went through the 1k in 3:07. I was feeling OK at this point and the first kilometer seemed to go right quick, before I knew it I was at the 1 mile mark and hit 5:01, still a relatively consistent pace. Still feeling OK I was slowly reeling in a few lads ahead of me and at the 2k point I was at 6:16, 2 seconds slower than my first kilometer. I was beginning to get a bit tired at this stage but tried to pick it up anyway and crossed the line in 9:24.

Splits were: 3:07, 3:09, 3:08.
    Overall time: 9:24

Overall I'm fairly happy with this race, I hadn't raced since last October so I expected this to be much tougher than it actually was with the usual burning lungs! I went out a bit too cautious and although I kept a very consistent pace I think I could have ran faster if I wasnt worrying too much about time and just went out harder. I wasn't absolutely wrecked after the race, I've felt much worse after a session of 1ks which makes me think I could have run faster. I went out for my warm down a few minutes afterwards and the legs felt grand. I reckon I could be close to 9:15 shape at the moment. I'm still happy with my time since its a pb (first ever 3k) and knowing I could probably run faster makes me even more confident going into my next race. A good blowout and a good way to start the year :)

That's a great run, especially for this time of the year. You're gonna be smoking (running fast, not toking on the tabs) in the summer. Well done. Looking at your session of 400's and 200's, I'd agree that you're in about 9:15 shape - maybe 9:10. Well done. Great tun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nice run Pa4!

drquirky wrote: »
    Nice run Pa4!
    Thanks drquirky! :)
    That's a great run, especially for this time of the year. You're gonna be smoking (running fast, not toking on the tabs) in the summer. Well done. Looking at your session of 400's and 200's, I'd agree that you're in about 9:15 shape - maybe 9:10. Well done. Great tun.
    Thanks stazza :) I think it definitely sets me up nicely for a few pb's in the summer! I'm still lacking a bit of experience with these track races so I reckon I'll run much faster next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great season opener pa4, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sounds like more of a time trial than a race.
    Loads more to come, I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Great race pa4. You never mention you're Munster champion ;)

7 miles easy tonight on grass @7:18 pace. Surprisingly I didn't feel too tired at all today just some mild stiffness so did a bit of foam rolling this morning which seemed to help. Felt good running and just took it nice and handy. Was suppose to only do 6 miles but got lost in the rhythm and ended up doing 7 not too bad though since I'm down for a 7 miler Wednesday anyway.

Track session of 4x400m with a 90 second recovery, 7 minute break, 4x300m with a 2 minute recovery.

Times were: 66, 65, 64, 64 and 46, 47, 47, 47.

This was a similar enough session to the one I did last week but instead of 200s I had 300s. I found this one much tougher, although the 400s were slightly faster than last week I was pushing much harder and the race from Sunday was still in the legs. The 300s were suppose to be around 45/46 but I was fairly wrecked after the first one but still managed to keep them consistent so I'm still happy with them. A good session overall, it felt harder than last week but afterwards doing my warm down I was feeling much better than I was doing my warm down last week.

Haven't updated this much in the last few days simply because there hasn't been much training. I came down with a cold after my session last Tuesday and missed 3 days training. To be honest I had a bit of a sore throat last week too which I ignored so I suppose it's my own fault! Got out for 3 handy miles yesterday morning in torrential wind and rain and it ended up feeling more like a session than an easy run.

I made the foolish decision to go ahead with todays race. Although I thought I was feeling better (still had a bit of a blocked nose) I wasn't 100%. Gave the 1500m a go anyway and ended up coming home in 4:23. The lungs were fairly sore during/after the race and to make matters worse the race was run off 15 minutes ahead of schedule so I missed out on all my drills and strides, only managed to get a few in on the track before the start. Didn't get my splits but I know it was a consistent enough pace. I don't feel any worse now than I was yesterday so I'm still on the mend. Hopefully I'll be back to full health next week. Not the worst of races, I'm well capable of running faster but It'll still bring me on for the longer distances.

Track session tonight of 2x2k with a 5 minute recovery. 2 mile warm up and down with a bit of stretching afterwards.

Times were: 6:16, 6:30

Not a good session at all tonight, way slower than originally planned and felt tired and stiff all day. Hamstrings were fairly tight all day for some reason too. Got through the first 2k OK and there was a fairly strong wind so that held me back a bit too, once I had finished I was wrecked and the lungs were burning so still not feeling 100%. Didn't think I'd feel as bad for the second one but once I started the legs went completely flat, surprised I even managed to finish it. Good to get in the session all the same since I haven't done anything this long in a good while. 6.5 miles in total.

Haven't forgotten! I'm getting there:)

3 mile tempo run this evening in 16:31 @5:30 mile pace. Felt much better doing this than I did the other day. I was a bit tired doing my warm up but once I started the tempo I felt grand and got better as I went along. Thought the pace was slower so I was actually a bit surprised when I seen I averaged 5:30 pace. Went through the first mile in 5:28 and kept the other two fairly consistent but didn't check my splits for them. Time to build back up the strength if I want to run a decent 5k, I don't usually lose much speed but if I go too long without long intervals/tempos I struggle a bit. 7 miles total.

Excellent session pa4, have you targeted a 5k race yet?

TbL

• Advertisement

Excellent session pa4, have you targeted a 5k race yet?

TbL

I have a few in mind between track and road races. Still a long way off track season, I think the inter-varsities are on around mid april so I'll probably do the 5k in that. I'll try get in a few road races before then too, I won't stick specifically to 5k's, don't want to get stale but it's the main target.

What time would you be targeting for the 5k all going well?

You're flying at the moment

TbL

What time would you be targeting for the 5k all going well?

You're flying at the moment

TbL

Ideally I'd like to get down to 15:40 or as close as possible. That's 3:08 pace, the same pace I did for my 3k two weeks ago. I know it's fast and I could be well off but I don't think it's impossible. With the right training and if the next few months go well I think I'm in with a good chance. I did 16:25 last April and have come a long way since then so hopefully all will go to plan!

Best of luck with it, you're putting in some effort, your wouldn't lap me in an 800m but you're not far off :)

enjoying your log.

TbL

13 mile long run this morning on the road @7:25 pace. Took it nice and handy for this run and felt fairly comfortable. I did some of Stazzas famous AIS beforehand and it made a big difference, didn't have the usual morning stiffness in the legs and I'm beginning to finally be able to touch my toes. Haven't done a good long run in a while due to racing and being sick at the start of the year so it's good to get back into consistent training. Next race will more than likely be at the beginning of March since my indoors are over and not much road races around these parts since I'm out of my own novice and intermediate champs.

Total weekly mileage: 45 miles.

8 miles tonight on the road @7:10 pace. Felt good for this and it was a nice evening for a run.

Hill session this morning of 12x200m with a 200m jog recovery. Took a longer than usual 3 mile warm up and warm down. I went out early enough for this so I was stiff enough and struggled a bit at the start but as the session went on I started feeling much better. The hill I was on was very exposed and there was a fairly strong wind coming in from the side adding extra resistance to the session.

Total distance: 9 miles.

There's a nice balance to your training at the moment. Keep banging in the hills - they'll pay off big time.

There's a nice balance to your training at the moment. Keep banging in the hills - they'll pay off big time.

Thanks Stazza! I find the hills great, their tough but they keep up the strength. The hill I use is great too because its around 300 meters long so I can do either 100's, 200's or 300's.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 5th of February:
    8 miles on the road @6:57 pace. Went out late enough for this and it was constant wind and rain. Besides that I felt great and it was an enjoyable run.

Thursday 6th of February:
    6 miles easy on the road @7:14 pace. Weather was much calmer tonight and I took it handier. Legs were feeling OK besides a bit of stiffness starting off.

Advertisement