Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Monday 23rd of September:
    6 miles on grass in 39:44 @6:38 pace per mile. Started this run off easy enough and was going fairly steady for the last 4 miles. Ended up doing the last mile in 5:57 which I was fairly surprised with because it didn't feel like I was going that fast but I felt strong the whole way. I didn't even feel exceptionally good but once I start going steady I'm not able to slow down and didn't feel too tired either, just a bit stiff starting off which was due to the car journey home from college.

Tuesday 24th of September:
    Hill session of 12x200m hillls with a 200m jog recovery back down the hill. Did this on the same hill I did the 300's last week expect I only did 200's. Found this session very tough and considering I wasn't feeling great going into it didn't help. Doing my strides the legs felt fairly heavy. Otherwise I got through the session OK. 8 miles covered in total.

Wednesday 25th of September:
    8 miles very easy on grass @7:34 pace per mile. Was absolutely fecked doing this after the hill session. My legs were aching all over so took it very handy. Was planning initially on going out the road but I decided to stay on the grass because it was easier on the legs. Did a bit of foam rolling afterwards and really felt the pain in some areas!

Thursday 26th of September:
    6 miles very easy on grass @7:29 pace per mile. Same thing here as the previous day. Still wasn't fully recovered and the legs just felt tired and aching with a touch of shin splints. Lots of stretching and foam rolling afterwards again which felt like a deep tissue massage! Felt a bit better but not great.

Friday 27th of September:
    Session. 3 mile tempo on grass averaging 5:42 pace per mile. I was dreading this session because I still felt fairly wrecked and stiff and achy. Did my warm up and didn't feel too bad but as I did my strides my legs felt a bit heavy. The run itself went better than expected and I got it in the time I was aiming for so really can't complain otherwise. As I did my warm down I felt better than I did the previous two days. I did this session around hurling pitches so it was very flat with low cut grass so it was ideal for a tempo. 7 miles covered in total.

Saturday 28th of September:
    Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great work pa4! Just curious what stretches did you use for the shin splints? Occasionally my left shin gives me a bit of bother and I'm never sure what to do with it? Do you foam roll the calves or the shins themselves?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Great work pa4! Just curious what stretches did you use for the shin splints? Occasionally my left shin gives me a bit of bother and I'm never sure what to do with it? Do you foam roll the calves or the shins themselves?
    Hey pconn062, for shin splints I find doing calf stretches are great. Since tight calf muscles can be a big contributing factor to shin splints it helps to loosen them out. Another one I do it the toes up heels down exercise/stretch. Walk around on your heels with your toes sticking up in the air and you should feel it along your shin. I use the foam roller after nearly every run especially if I'm feeling a bit stiff, if theres a tight spot I'll hold for a few seconds. I roll the calfs and the sides of the shins, not directly on the shin bone. I'm lucky enough in the fact that I don't suffer much from shin splints, its really just this week that my legs were starting too ache. I do most of my running on grass too which is much softer on the legs so that helps too.

pa4 wrote: »
    Hey pconn062, for shin splints I find doing calf stretches are great. Since tight calf muscles can be a big contributing factor to shin splints it helps to loosen them out. Another one I do it the toes up heels down exercise/stretch. Walk around on your heels with your toes sticking up in the air and you should feel it along your shin. I use the foam roller after nearly every run especially if I'm feeling a bit stiff, if theres a tight spot I'll hold for a few seconds. I roll the calfs and the sides of the shins, not directly on the shin bone. I'm lucky enough in the fact that I don't suffer much from shin splints, its really just this week that my legs were starting too ache. I do most of my running on grass too which is much softer on the legs so that helps too.

Thanks a lot for that pa4. I don't have much problem myself but I never know what to do whenever they get a bit tight. I knew the calves were connected in a big way alright.

• Advertisement

Sunday 29th of September:
    12 mile long run this morning on grass/road @7:24 pace per mile. I went out early for this one and started off slow enough as my legs loosened out. Other than my legs being a bit stiff from only being out of bed I felt good and the pains and aches I had during the week were gone. I did 4 miles on the road and 8 miles on the grass so that probably helped the legs feel good too.

This was another record mileage week for me totaling 47 miles. My previous record amount was 46 from last week. Not alot compared to most people on here but its good quality training. It'll be an easy week next week with cross country starting on Sunday. I'm not at the same fitness level as I was during the summer but I'm getting there. The sessions are coming along nicely and still have a few weeks until the Munsters, the county novice and intermediate will be a huge benefit to training and will speed up my return to full fitness.

Just going through one of those phases where I've let the training build up and haven't logged a thing! I'll try to get the will to do it soon. Had one of the best weeks training in a long long time this week too, just take my word for it!

Haven't updated this in a while out of laziness more than anything else, still training away. Came 4th on my county intermediate champs, 8k over a very tough course so I was delighted with that. It took a fair bit out of me and took me nearly a week to recover fully!

Monday 28th of October:
    6 miles around the roads in 39:58 @6:40 mile pace.

Tuesday 29th of October:
    5 miles around the roads in 32:50 @6:34 mile pace.

Wednesday 30th of October:
    8 miles on grass in 54:05 @6:46 mile pace. Car wouldn't start so had to run 2 miles home so ended up doing 10 miles in total.

Thursday 31st of October:
    7 miles around the roads in 46:54 @6:42 mile pace.

Friday 1st of November:
    Track session of 2x2k and 1x1k with a 3 minute recovery. Times were suppose to be 6:40's and 3:15. Much slower than what I was doing over the summer but still a nice session to get back used to doing long intervals again. Hadn't been at the track in over a month, most of my sessions were either fartlek, hills or tempos so this session was nothing too strenuous but still not easy!

Times were: 6:38. 6:38, 3:07.

A short session overall. The 2k's were consistent, probably could have gone faster if I was told too. My legs actually did feel a bit heavy after the second 2k so I though if I could just get the 1k in 3:15 I'd be happy. Ended up going through the first lap in 74 which didn't even feel fast so just kept that pace to finish in 3:07. I think 3:15 was still a bit too slow even when I felt tired, my body was still used to doing them much faster.

I'm fairly happy with this session, my only one for this week. When I got home my calfs were feeling fairly tight and I could really feel it when I foam rolled. Feel a bit tired now today so Just going too take it handy since I'm not training.

Total distance covered: 7-7.5 miles.

Saturday 2nd of November:
    Off.

Long run this morning of 13 miles on road/trail. Time was 1:34:39 @7:17 pace per mile. This was the longest long run I've ever done, the most I had ever done before today was 12 miles but I didn't even notice the extra mile. I did this in a forest place which was very hilly, think they hold IMRA races there sometimes. Never ran on such a hilly course, to say I was f*cked is an understatement! I was actualy tempted to stop going up one of the hills which was also a mountain biking trail so it was fairly rough in places too! I'm surprised my pace wasn't slower than it was but I think I'll definitely feel it tomorrow, absolutely wrecked now! Definitely tougher than some hill sessions I've often done.

Total weekly mileage: 48.5 miles.

Record mileage week again! Wasn't really a hard weeks training, only had the one session and this mornings nightmare of a run! So all round a good weeks training.

• Advertisement

Monday 4th of November:
    6 miles easy on grass @7:12 per mile.

Tuesday 5th of November:
    Hill session of 24x100m hills with a jog back recovery. Tough enough session but got through it OK in the end but felt fair long. I felt good for the first half and started getting tired near the end but I don't think my pace slowed much. Felt strong throughout the session. 2.5 mile warm up and down.

Total mileage: 8 miles.

Wednesday 6th of November:
    8 miles easy on grass @7:22 per mile. Took it handy but I didn't feel stiff or too tired after the hill session.

Thursday 7th of November:
    6 miles steady on grass in 36:49 @6:08 per mile. Felt good doing this one and got a bit carried away but since I have an inability to slow down in the middle of a run I stayed going. Ended up doing the last mile in 5:30.

Friday 8th of November:
    7 miles steady on grass in 45:39 @6:31 per mile. Felt good again doing this one so kept a nice steady pace. Didn't feel tired at all from the 6 miler the day before considering the pace.

Saturday 9th of November:
    Off.

13 mile long run on the roads this morning in 1:29:29 @6:53 per mile. Felt good doing this run, started handy and eased into it and started going fairly steady near the end. The course was fairly hilly so it provided a bit of a challenge along the way! Much easier than the hills on last weeks run, I don't mind a bit of a variation on a course when I'm training because I find I tend to push it harder up the hills in turn making me stronger :)

Good weeks training over with regards to mileage and consistency. The paces were faster than usual to and I felt good, I can feel the spring in my step coming back.

Total mileage: 48 miles.

7 miles steady enough tonight on the grass in 46:05 @6:35 mile pace. Felt good doing this one, thought I was going slower since I was chatting away the whole time, ended up doing the last mile in around 6:10. Good weather for it too, took off the jacket mid way and finished off running in a t-shirt.

8 miles steady on the roads in 52:24 @6:33 mile pace. Got out in the daylight for this one and it wasn't too cold either. Felt good the whole way. I thought I was going slower than I actualy was and had every intention to take it handy so I was surprised by the pace at the end. I suppose thats just from only doing one session a week lately, if I was doing one today I would have taken yesterday easy and tomorrow too but might aswell run how I feel since I have nothing holding me back. Will be taking it easy thursday anyway because I've a session on the track Friday.

You're flying at the minute, great training paces there on your easy runs.

You're flying at the minute, great training paces there on your easy runs.

Thanks pconn! I think its just due to the lack of sessions in the last 2 weeks, I;ve noticed the extra energy on these runs so might aswel go how I feel. At the moment I'm just concentrating on building up the mileage and strength, just doing the one session a week to keep the legs ticking over. Don;t think I'm doing any more XC so it gives me more time to concentrate on getting in a decent block of training before the new year. You're flying it yourself, any more XC planned?

pa4 wrote: »
    Thanks pconn! I think its just due to the lack of sessions in the last 2 weeks, I;ve noticed the extra energy on these runs so might aswel go how I feel. At the moment I'm just concentrating on building up the mileage and strength, just doing the one session a week to keep the legs ticking over. Don;t think I'm doing any more XC so it gives me more time to concentrate on getting in a decent block of training before the new year. You're flying it yourself, any more XC planned?

Yeah, only one session a week leaves the legs much fresher. Have no more competitive cross country left, might do a few BHAA races in the new year in place of some sessions. The plan for now is a few road races, looking to give a few 5ks a lash!

Yeah, only one session a week leaves the legs much fresher. Have no more competitive cross country left, might do a few BHAA races in the new year in place of some sessions. The plan for now is a few road races, looking to give a few 5ks a lash!

I might do one road race before christmas just so I don't go too long without racing and then concentrate on the indoors in January. I'll probably do a few road races too since the indoor season is so short, would love to do a fast 5k!

Thursday 14th of November:
    6 miles easy on grass in 42:06 @7:01 mile pace. Took this one handy deliberately because my calfs felt a bit tight and had a session Friday so didn't want to over do it. Pace felt slower than it was so thats good, had intended on going around 7:10-7:15 but I guess my body is getting used to running slightly faster after those steady runs. Did a bit of foam rolling afterwards and the legs felt sore enough doing it but weren't too tired.

Friday 15th of November:
    Track session of 5x1 mile in 5:30ish with a 90 second recovery. This session was intended at simulating 10k race pace so it was much slower than what I would have been doing during the summer but the recovery was much shorter too so it was by no means an easy session.

Times were: 5:28, 5:29, 5:28, 5:26, 5:27.

Session went very well overall. The average was 5:28. It started easy enough and the first 3 felt like no bother at all even with the short recoveries but I started getting a bit tired for the last 2 but I wasn't absolutely wrecked. Hadn't done mile intervals in a long time so I was kind of dreading them but they turned out to be much easier than expected. This is the type of session I probably could have gone faster if I was told too.

Total distance: 9 miles.

Saturday 16th of November:
    Off.

Long run of 13 miles in 1:28:35 @6:49 per mile. Went out on the roads early for this, literally made up the route as I went along because I was so sick of running the same roads :P Felt good the whole way, started off easy enough and was tipping around 7 minute pace after about 6 miles. Started increasing the pace as I felt better and finished off doing around 6:35ish pace. I was fairly stiff yesterday after the session Friday but when I woke up this morning the stiffness was gone. Really enjoyed this run because I felt so good and it was ideal weather conditions too.

Total weekly mileage: 50 miles

Record mileage week this week and it was the first time hitting the magical 50 mile mark! Really happy with this weeks training and finished it off well with the run this morning. A few weeks of solid training like this should give me a good base for the new year.

• Advertisement

Hill session tonight of 12x200m with a 200 jog back recovery. 2.5 mile warm up and down. Tough session this one, I felt good doing my warm up and then a bit sluggish doing the strides. The hill itself was fairly tough, it started out flatish and got steeper as it went along. Once I reached the top I was fcuked each time! I had just about caught my breath before I was running back up again. Still a good session overall, got through it OK and was told that I looked strong throughout so I'm very happy with it. Very cold night and took ages to warm up.. the cold air on the muscles certainly didn't make it any easier!

Total distance: 8 miles.

8 miles easy run today around the roads in 57:13 @7:09 pace per mile. I went out early for this one and thought it might be a bit of a struggle since I didn't have long to recover from the hill session last night but once I got going I didn't feel too bad. Legs were a bit heavy but they didn't feel too tight and I felt better as I went along. By the time I was done I felt much better than I did before I started. A nice enjoyable run and not too cold either.

Thursday 21st of November:
    6 miles easy on grass in 42:18 @7:03 pace. Very cold tonight and took me a while to warm up so the muscles were stiff starting off. I felt OK otherwise but the pace felt a bit quicker than it actually was.

Friday 22nd of November:
    Track session of 5x1 mile with a 90 second recovery in 5:30. This was the exact same session as I did last Friday.

Times were: 5:32, 5:29, 5:31, 5:28, 5:27.

Times were a bit slower than last week because the track was so slippy and every step I was taking I was slipping a bit so had to work a bit harder. Other than that I felt good and am fairly happy with it overall. Did a 2 mile warm up and down.

Total distance: 9 miles.

13 mile long run this morning on the road. Was a bit tired doing this with a few aches but nothing major. Started to feel better as I went along. I didn't have the garmin for this one because the battery was dead so I just did the same route as the last day.. felt like a nice handy pace.

Total mileage: 51 miles

Another record mileage week this week and the second week in a row hitting the 50 mile mark! Fairly happy with the last 4 weeks training as the mileage was slowly increasing and I'm noticing the fitness levels getting better. I needed a few weeks of uninterupted training since I really didn't have much of a base going into my short lived XC season.

Monday 25th of November:
    7 miles in 47:45 @6:49 pace. Started off easy and picked it up as I went along, was going fairly steady near the end. Felt good the whole way.

Tuesday 26th of November:
    3 mile tempo run on grass in 16:20 @5:27 per mile. Felt good doing this tempo, hadn't done one in a while so it was nice to get it into the legs.

Mile splits were: 5:31, 5:26, 5:23.

Total mileage: 7 miles.

7 miles steady on the roads today in 45:51 @6:33 pace. Didn't intend on going steady today especially after the session yesterday, I started off easy but I felt great with no stiffness in the legs so my easy pace was obviously faster that usual. First mile was just under 7 mins so I thought I'd keep it around that.. didn't bother looking at the paces for the rest of the miles until the end where I pushed out the last mile.. I was actually really surprised to see that the average pace was 6:33. It was the type of run where I was disapointed when it finished because I felt so good and it was so enjoyable, I really love those runs. Good weather for it too, was very mild and I got it done before it got dark so didn't have to risk getting blinded by headlights or running into a ditch :P I live in the middle of nowhere so it can be fairly dodgy running on the roads at night!

Thursday 28th of November:
    6 miles easy on road/grass. Didn't have a watch for this one so just went on one of my usual 6 mile loops. Felt a bit tired and stiff doing this one partly due to sitting in a car for nearly an hour and a half before my run. Took it handy anyway for the session Friday and did a bit of foam rolling afterwards to get rid of the stiffness.

Friday 29th of November:
    Track session of 5x1k in 3:12-3:15 with a 2 minute recovery. 2 mile warm up and down. First session of 1k's since the summer with a minute less recovery than I used to take so the times were a few seconds slower.

Actual times were: 3:13, 3:11, 3:11, 3:09, 3:04

Average time was high 3:09. Very happy with this session, I was a bit tired starting off but the pace started getting faster as I went along and felt better. I was wondering why the times were slower than I used to do then I realised the recovery was shorter than before so it was probably a better session than during the summer. Didn't feel too bad afterwards either with no real stiffness in the legs.

Total mileage: 7 miles.

Saturday 30th of November:
    Off.

13 mile long run on the roads this morning in 1:32:20 @7:06 mile pace. Felt stiff enough doing this with a few aches in the legs and joints. Took it handy for the most part so it didn't feel too bad. Weather was good for it too and the roads were quiet so it was fairly enjoyable. Another solid 13 miler in the bag, I'm really beginning to notice the increase in strength.

Total Weekly mileage: 47 miles.

Good weeks training overall with two good sessions. Mileage was a bit down this week but that's only because of the type of sessions I was doing, last week I was doing longer slower intervals whereas this week they were shorter but faster. 5 consistent weeks down, time seems to go so much quicker when I'm not racing. Indoors are just around the corner so another few weeks like this and maybe a road race and I'll be good to go.

Monday 2nd of December:
    7 miles on road/grass in 49:35 @7:05 pace. Felt OK doing this, legs were stiff starting off but felt better as I went along.

Tuesday 3rd of December:
    Hill session of 24x100m with a 100m jog recovery. 2.5 mile warm up and down. This session was tough enough but it felt quick considering it sounds like a long one. My legs were a bit achy from running on the road for the past few days but other than that I felt OK. I was too bad afterwards either and did a bit of foam rolling to loosen out.

Total distance covered: 8 miles

Wednesday 4th of December:
    8 miles easy on grass @7:26 pace. Took this one handy after yesterdays session, I felt OK with no pains/aches just a bit of stiffness which was expected. I felt comfortable running and despite the slow pace it was over before I new it. Took me a good while to warm up and I could feel the ground hardening due to the cold, still a lovely night for running.

• Advertisement

6 mile easy run today on grass in 41:36 @6:56 pace per mile. Got out late enough for this one after a long day in college (last day of lectures :D ) but felt OK. Wasn't as cold as last night but it rained a bit, nothing too bad. Was well wrapped up nonetheless.. woke up with a sore throat this morning so didn't want to take any chances :( Legs are feeling fairly good now after I did a bit of foam rolling so looking forward to tomorrows session.

Advertisement