Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Track session tonight of 14x200m with a 60 second recovery in 32/33. First bit of speed work since the summer and wasn't as hard as i thought.

Actual times were: 33, 33, 33, 32, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 30.

Good session overall, I wore the racers for these and I felt good. Started off a bit sluggish but felt better as I went along and the short recovery didn't seem to be a problem. It felt a bit strange doing speed work after mainly strength work in the last few weeks and I was surprised to get most of the in 31 seconds. Since the indoors are coming up I'll be starting to focus a bit more on the shorter stuff to build back up the speed for 800/1500's. I'll be keeping in touch with the longer stuff but will be mixing in a bit of shorter stuff over the course of the next few weeks.

Total distance covered: 5.75 miles.

13 mile long run around the roads tonight @7:17 pace. Got out late for this one since I was studying for exams all day but I felt good, it felt strange doing a long run and not feeling wrecked from just being out of bed! Nice enjoyable run overall, took it handy and there was a great atmosphere around the town.

Total weekly mileage: 48 miles.

Good weeks training again this week, two good sessions that I'm very happy with. Another consistent week in the bag. I've an easier week next week with regards to mileage due to studying/exams but it mightn't be any harm taking a handier week (still around 45 miles) to let the body recover from the last few weeks.

Monday 9th of December:
    6 miles handy on grass @7:06 pace. Felt good for this but just took it handy with a few lads. The arch of my foot was a bit sore afterwards, was grand when I was running but later on that night I had a pain, could be just muscular.

Tuesday 10th of December:
    4 mile tempo run on grass between 5:35-5:40. The time was slightly slower than the last day but I had an extra mile from my usual 3 mile tempo. 2 mile warm up and down.

Time was 22:32 @5:38 pace.

Had a very long day of study today from 9 till 5 and was absolutely wrecked, At half 5 I realised how hungry I was but didn't eat anything because I was running at 6. Ended up falling asleep for 20 mins and woke up at 5:50 and was shattered, somehow managed to put on the gear and went off training. Was still fairly tired doing the warm up and really lacked any energy. My legs were heavy but I didn't have any stiffness/tightness, just general tiredness. On a good day I would have probably done closer to 5:30 pace but I'm still happy with the session looking back on it. I still got it in the target time but really didn't feel great doing it. Just one of those long days that was really draining on the body. The ground was a bit slippy too and the bottom of my racers are fairly smooth so I was slipping a bit on sections of the run. The arch of my foot is a bit sore again after it so I iced it for about 10 mins, hopefully its nothing serious.

Total mileage: 8 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Try filling a small plastic bottle with water, freezing it and rolling your arch with it. Alternatively use a golf ball and roll around the arch to try and shift the tightness. As a last resort I get it massaged out, can hurt like a bi"€h but it tends to work for me.

I find it gets very tight if I don't tackle it quickly.

TbL

Try filling a small plastic bottle with water, freezing it and rolling your arch with it. Alternatively use a golf ball and roll around the arch to try and shift the tightness. As a last resort I get it massaged out, can hurt like a bi"€h but it tends to work for me.

I find it gets very tight if I don't tackle it quickly.

TbL

Thanks TbL. I'll try doing it with a golf ball and see does it help. Hopefully it doesn't develop into anything but even sitting down right now I can kind of feel it. It doesn't seem to get worse when I run so thats good.

• Advertisement

6 mile easy run @7:13 pace tonight. Took it handy and was a bit tired after yesterdays tempo but no major aches or stiffness. My arch was much better too, I iced it again and rolled it out so hopefully it should be fully better soon.

6 miles easy on grass in 41:35 @6:56 pace. Felt good for this, started out slow and felt better as I went along so the pace gradually got a bit faster. It was misting but didn't find it too cold either. No pains or aches :)

Track session of 8x400m with a 90 second recovery. Times were down for 68 seconds. 2 mile warm up and down.

Actual times: 70, 68, 67, 69, 67, 67, 65, 66

Average time was 67 seconds. Good session overall tonight, didn't think I'd end up getting out for this since I've an exam in the morning and had another this morning so I was studying all day but I'm glad I got out. Felt good throughout, first one was a bit slow mainly because I went out too hard and eased back to much for the second 200. Felt better as I went along as can be seen from the times and was surprised I ended up averaging 67 with the short recovery. Very cold night tonight and took me a good while to warm up, even after I had finished I had a cold sweat on my face. Luckily I was well wrapped up. Had the track to myself so it was very quiet and a lovely clear sky gave it a nice atmosphere.

Total mileage: 6 miles.

Jesus that's an excellent session,well done and good luck with the exams

TbL

Jesus that's an excellent session,well done and good luck with the exams

TbL

Thanks TbL! Looking back on it now I'm surprised how well it went, really just felt good with nothing holding me back. Really happy to have gotten it into the legs. Earlier in the year I would have been doing it with a 3 minute recovery so there's definitely improvements!

2 exams down, 4 to go! Going well so far, I'll probably have to take an easy week with regards training next week with 4 exams in 5 days. Mightn't do any harm anyway :)

• Advertisement

13 mile long this morning on the roads. Took it handy and ran the same route as the last day so didn't bother with the watch. Very winding so they pace slowed a fair bit as I got tireder. Went out fair early because I wanted to spend the day studying. Legs were a bit achy when I stopped but feel grand now. Think it was just a mixture of morning tiredness/running on the road.

Total weekly mileage: 45 miles.

Are you racing over the Xmas, I'd like to see what you'd do to a 5k or 10k off your recent sessions.

You're a dedicated fecker, I'd hazard a guess your not an Arts student :)

TbL

Are you racing over the Xmas, I'd like to see what you'd do to a 5k or 10k off your recent sessions.

You're a dedicated fecker, I'd hazard a guess your not an Arts student :)

TbL

I might be doing a 5k next Sunday, my coach wants me to do it so I'll see how I'm feeling after the exams and how training goes this week, the body is itching for a good blow out! :)

Nope not Arts anyway, I'm in 4th year studying engineering! So basically it's all maths and physics!

Not much to log for this weeks training, just took it handy with mileage and got out when I could with the exams. Ended up getting out 5 days and clocked up about 30 miles altogether just to keep the legs ticking over. Had to take Friday and Saturday off due to simply not having the time and being so tired. Got in a semi long run this morning of 10 miles @7:02 pace. Really crap weather with hail and wind so I'm surprised it wasn't slower and felt like crap! Back into normal training mode again next week :) The easy week won't do me any harm anyway.

Given you hadn't posted in a few days I thought you'd gone on the piss with the Arts students, post exams. :)

Have you decided if you're racing over the Xmas?

TbL

Given you hadn't posted in a few days I thought you'd gone on the piss with the Arts students, post exams. :)

Have you decided if you're racing over the Xmas?

TbL
    No I resisted the temptations! Haven't gone out yet so might head out tonight, I'll try not to go to mad :P It was last August when I was out or drank for that matter so its much needed!

6 miles done today anyway around the roads @6:48 pace. Felt slower than it was especially with the strong wind but got through it OK, glutes were a little tight though. Now to eat lots of mince pies and pringles while watching home alone 2 :D

I'll start logging properly from tomorrow onwards, I'm still alive and more importantly still running!

Did you race at all?

TbL

Did you race at all?

TbL

Next Saturday I will be!! I was suppose to race last Sunday but was just to tired after the exams so the coach told me to leave it off. Its a 3k next week which will be good preparation for the indoors, going to focus on the 1500 for them.

Best of luck with it, what are you aiming for?

Where's it on?

TbL

• Advertisement

I was sick last week and missed a few days so couldn't run.

Tuesday 31st of December:

Track session of 4x600m with a 3 minute recovery.

Times were: 1:45, 1:43, 1:42, 1:41

Hadn't done a session in 2.5 weeks and it was very cold so found this one tough enough. The average was around 1:43 which was the initial target so can't complain. Got sick on Thurday so missed a few days then.

Monday 6th of January:
    6 miles easy on grass. Didn't have the watch for this one but it was very handy. I was tired enough and it was extremely windy so that probably slowed me down even more.

Tuesday 7th of January:
    Hill session of 15x100m hills with a 100m jog recovery. 2 mile warm up and down. A good session overall and the weather was much improved. Felt good doing this and although I was feeling very tired beforehand I was full of energy throughout the session. I was only suppose to do 15 today as opposed to the usual 24 since I was just back from being sick and hadn't been doing as much sessions in the last couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That's fairly savage splits for the 6s. Bodes well for indoors

ecoli wrote: »
    That's fairly savage splits for the 6s. Bodes well for indoors

Thanks ecoli! It was fairly tough in the cold and hadn't done a session in 2 and a half weeks but I'm very happy with it. Think I'll give the 3000m a go in the indoors, judging by my training at the moment I'm probably in better shape for a 3000m rather than an 800 or 1500.

pa4 wrote: »
    Thanks ecoli! It was fairly tough in the cold and hadn't done a session in 2 and a half weeks but I'm very happy with it. Think I'll give the 3000m a go in the indoors, judging by my training at the moment I'm probably in better shape for a 3000m rather than an 800 or 1500.

I would say you would bust out a solid 1500 also to be honest. Them 6s indicate speed enough to couple with your strength

I would say you would bust out a solid 1500 also to be honest. Them 6s indicate speed enough to couple with your strength

I wouldn't mind doing a 1500, theres no 3000 in the u.23 national indoors so will probably do a 1500 in them. I did a 4:19 in them last year off mainly strength work hopefully I should run faster :)

pa4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind doing a 1500, theres no 3000 in the u.23 national indoors so will probably do a 1500 in them. I did a 4:19 in them last year off mainly strength work hopefully I should run faster :)

You should run alot faster. I reckon you will be closer to 4.10 than 4.20 in the indoor season. If I recall right your mileage has been significantly higher this year coupled with the obvious speed and consistent training (even managing to get out a bit around exams)

You should run alot faster. I reckon you will be closer to 4.10 than 4.20 in the indoor season. If I recall right your mileage has been significantly higher this year coupled with the obvious speed and consistent training (even managing to get out a bit around exams)

Thanks even after todays session I'm beginning to see how achievable it is!

Thursday 9th of January:
    7 miles easy on grass @7:16 pace. Felt grand for this, ran with a group so we were just taking it handy. A nice enjoyable run and the ground wasn't too wet/slippy either.

Friday 10th of January:
    Track session tonight of 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200 with a 3 minute recovery.

Times were: 3:03, 2:22, 1:44, 66, 29

Very happy with this session and the fact that I finished so well. It was by no means easy, even had to cut my warm down down to 1 mile! It was perfect session conditions so nothiing to complain about. The 1k was suppose to be 3 minutes but I was only a second a lap slower so its grand. After the 400 I was f*cked and could really feel the lactic in the legs and arms but managed to knock out a 29 second 200, just shows the speed is still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Savage session!

10 miles this morning around the roads @7:04 pace. Felt good doing this despite the wind and rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Some nice sessions in there. 8-10x400m off 90 secs is a great 1500m indicator. Seeing some of the workouts you're banging out takes me back to my younger days. Keep plugging away and you'll make some good ground this year.

Advertisement