Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I am a 20 year old male and started running around 2 years ago (May 2011 to be exact) and have been training fairly consistently ever since. I attempted to do a log before but that didn't end too well and because I've come a long way since then I think its best to start fresh :)

I mainly concentrate on track and cross country with a few road races thrown into the mix now and again. I'd consider a middle - long distance athlete, my preferred event being the 5k.

My PBs are as follows:
    800m: 2:07 (2013, indoors)
    1500m: 4:19 (2013, indoors)
    5000m: 16:25 (2013)
    4 miles road: 21:30 (2013)
    8k road: 27:04 (2013)
    10k road: 35:25 (2013)

This year has been my best so far with all of my pbs run since January. My training generally consists of 6 days running - 2 sessions, a long run and recovery runs with my weekly mileage averaging between 40-45. I usually do strength and conditioning 2 days a week but I wont talk about that here.

My aims for this year are fairly simple - improve and run as best I can! Ideally I would like to go sub 16 for 5k and sub 34 for 10k. Hopefully this log will give me the motivation I need to both :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Training so far this week:

Monday: 5 miles easy followed by 5x50m strides.

Tuesday: Track session of 2x5x200m with a 2 minute recovery, 10 minutes between sets. All in 28's, fastest was 28.02 and slowest was 28.71. Felt good doing this session, haven't done 200's since the indoor season so its good to know the speed is still there!

Wednesday: 7 miles easy in 48.41 averaging 6.57 per mile followed by 5x50m strides. Felt good doing this one even after the 200's.

Today - Thursday: 8 miles easy 59 mins averaging 7:23 per mile. Felt tired doing this today and the fact that it was fairly hot didn't help much! I've a session of 1k's planned for tomorrow so just took it easy.

Good session at the track today, was absolutely roasting! Session on paper was 4x1k in 3:10-3:12 with a 1.5min, 5min and 2min recovery after the first, second and third interval.

Times:
    3:12 - Didn't feel great doing this one even though I felt good before the session, probably should have done one or two more strides too loosen out the legs.

3:09 - This one felt much easier despite the short 1.5 min recovery

3:08

3:00 - I was fairly surprised that i ended up doing this one that fast because I hit the 800 in 2:28, I knew I had a fair bit left in me so i decided too push it out for the last 200

I had a feeling this session wouldn't be too bad because usually we do them in 3:00-3:05 with a 3 min recovery. I haven't done kilometer intervals in a while and the coach wanted me to get used to doing them slightly slower with a shorter recovery to emulate a race. Overall very happy with the session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

hay great too see your log, we are over run with long distance log, so it nice to read something I can relate to :)
    have you seen the 10 round numbers thread on the main page, I reckon you have most of then covered.
    anyway best of luck with the training and I'll be following the log,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

pa4 wrote: »
    I am a 20 year old male and started running around 2 years ago (May 2011 to be exact) and have been training fairly consistently ever since. I attempted to do a log before but that didn't end too well and because I've come a long way since then I think its best to start fresh :)

I mainly concentrate on track and cross country with a few road races thrown into the mix now and again. I'd consider a middle - long distance athlete, my preferred event being the 5k.

My PBs are as follows:
    800m: 2:07 (2013, indoors)
    1500m: 4:19 (2013, indoors)
    5000m: 16:25 (2013)
    4 miles road: 21:30 (2013)
    8k road: 27:04 (2013)
    10k road: 35:25 (2013)

This year has been my best so far with all of my pbs run since January. My training generally consists of 6 days running - 2 sessions, a long run and recovery runs with my weekly mileage averaging between 40-45. I usually do strength and conditioning 2 days a week but I wont talk about that here.

My aims for this year are fairly simple - improve and run as best I can! Ideally I would like to go sub 16 for 5k and sub 34 for 10k. Hopefully this log will give me the motivation I need to both :)

If you ease your milage up to 55-60 over the next couple of months you'll have no problem whatsoever hitting sub 16 and sub 34. You've got nice speed so reckon a little work on aerobic development could go a long way.... Whats your current long run and have you considered 2 double days a week?

At your age I had similar times and saw big improvements from upping the milage (careful though and ease it up as it can cause injury)

hypersonic wrote: »
    hay great too see your log, we are over run with long distance log, so it nice to read something I can relate to :)
    have you seen the 10 round numbers thread on the main page, I reckon you have most of then covered.
    anyway best of luck with the training and I'll be following the log,
    Thanks appreciate it :) I noticed there was alot of longer distance/marathons logs so decided I'd do something different!

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    If you ease your milage up to 55-60 over the next couple of months you'll have no problem whatsoever hitting sub 16 and sub 34. You've got nice speed so reckon a little work on aerobic development could go a long way.... Whats your current long run and have you considered 2 double days a week?

At your age I had similar times and saw big improvements from upping the milage (careful though and ease it up as it can cause injury)
    I will be slowly upping the mileage, I added in the 6th day of training around last November so it will begin to increase again soon. I was surprised I hadn't lost speed because it was a few months since I done anything that short.. over the next few weeks I'm gonna be working on aerobic again because my sessions haven't been that consistent over the last 2 months with exams and studying. Longest run at the moment is 12 miles

Yesterday: Rest

Today: Long run of 12 miles in 1:25:09 @7:06 per mile. I went out early for this one to avoid the heat but I dont think it made much of a difference but I felt good.. went on a route I never did before around the country roads for a change :D

Total mileage this week: 42 miles

Monday 10th of June:
    Track session today, on paper was 2k, 1k, 800 and 200 with a 3 minute recovery. Times were:

2k - 6:11

1k - 2:59

800 - 2:18

200 - 28

This session doesn't look to bad on paper but the times were suppose to be fast so it was tough. It was very windy on the home straight so i reckon I lost a few seconds on the 2k, not so much the others.

I'm very happy with this session, I honestly didn't think I would be able to get the 800 under 2:20 after the other two intervals but somehow managed to find the strength :) Its nice too know that the strength and speed is there.. I can see a sub 16 5k in the distance :)

Tuesday 11th of June:
    Easy run today of 7 miles in 53 mins @7:35 per mile. Did this one on grass so it would be easier on the legs after yesterdays session, felt grand after yesterday just a little bit tired but my muscles were grand :)

Wednesday 12th of June:
    Easy run of 5 miles @7:06 per mile followed by 5x50m strides. Felt really good today for some reason but I just took it handy because I'm doing a session tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thursday 15th of June:
    Track session of 5x300m with a 2 minute recovery followed by 5x200m with a 1:30 minute recovery with 7 minutes between sets.

Times:
    300's - 46,45,46,45,45
    200's - 28,29,29,29,29

I found this to be a tough enough session. The fact that it was raining the entire time and really windy only made matters worse! I felt good beforehand warming up and doing strides but the legs felt heavy after the first 300. I struggled with the 5th 300 but the 7 minute break between sets helped me recover. The 200's went grand but again struggled in the last one, could hardly lift my arms after it! I'm very happy with this session overall because despite the body not feeling great I still got them on time.

Friday 15th of June:
    5 miles easy on grass @6:50 per mile followed by 5x50m strides to loosen out the legs.

Saturday 16th of June:
    Rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Thursday 15th of June:
    Track session of 5x300m with a 2 minute recovery followed by 5x200m with a 1:30 minute recovery with 7 minutes between sets.

Times:
    300's - 46,45,46,45,45
    200's - 28,29,29,29,29

I found this to be a tough enough session. The fact that it was raining the entire time and really windy only made matters worse! I felt good beforehand warming up and doing strides but the legs felt heavy after the first 300. I struggled with the 5th 300 but the 7 minute break between sets helped me recover. The 200's went grand but again struggled in the last one, could hardly lift my arms after it! I'm very happy with this session overall because despite the body not feeling great I still got them on time.

Friday 15th of June:
    5 miles easy on grass @6:50 per mile followed by 5x50m strides to loosen out the legs.

Saturday 16th of June:
    Rest.
    That's a fantastic session,well done. You must be in great shape.I couldn't even dream of those times. Was that session prescribed by your coach(do you have one?) or of your own making?

ultrapercy wrote: »
    That's a fantastic session,well done. You must be in great shape.I couldn't even dream of those times. Was that session prescribed by your coach(do you have one?) or of your own making?
    Thank you :) Ya that training is prescribed by my coach. I get a training plan each week for what I'm to do each day. I wouldn't have a clue what to do otherwise!

Sunday 16th of June:
    Long run this morning of 12 miles on the road @7:10 per mile. Felt good and comfortable the whole way. My muscles were a bit tight yesterday after Fridays session especially my glutes but their all loosened out now.

Another good weeks training in the bag. Total mileage: 40 miles

Handy run today of 6 miles @7:15 pace on grass. My legs felt a bit heavy doing this so I just took it handy because I've a tough session tomorrow. I did a nice bit of foam rolling and stretching afterwards to loosen out.

I've also decided on my next few races. I'm spoilt for choice regarding local races so I'm just trying to pick and choose between them to see what I'll do. So far I've decided on:

Saturday 22nd of June: 800m track
    Sunday 30th of June: 5000m track
    Wednesday 3rd of July: 10k road

I haven't ran an 800 since early January in the indoors where I did 2:07 so hopefully I'll get a pb. I'm not putting to much pressure on myself for this one because its really just training for the longer distances.

The 5k and 10k are only 3 days apart but I want to do both so hopefully I'll be recovered after the 5k. I felt really set times as targets for these races. If I get a pb in the 5k I'll be happy and if I'm feeling any way good at all I should pb in the 10k since I was feeling awful the last time I ran one.

Tuesday 18th of June:
    Track session tonight consisting of a 350,300,250,200,150. This was a max effort session where you sprint as hard as you can so basically the 350 should be almost as fast a pace as the 150. The recovery was a one lap walk. The times were:

350: 48.20
    300: 41.64
    250: 34.25
    200: 27.24
    150: 19.57

I was very happy with this session, it really gives a good indication on what level of speed I currently have. It is a tough session despite the walk lap recovery but I actually felt pretty good after the 150. I think I could have done the 350m faster but I held back slightly on the last 50m, if I was to stay going which I think I could have especially in a race situation I would have done 55 seconds for 400.

My next race will be an 800 on Saturday so I'm fairly confident that I can improve on my pb of 2:07. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Tuesday 18th of June:
    Track session tonight consisting of a 350,300,250,200,150. This was a max effort session where you sprint as hard as you can so basically the 350 should be almost as fast a pace as the 150. The recovery was a one lap walk. The times were:

350: 48.20
    300: 41.64
    250: 34.25
    200: 27.24
    150: 19.57

Nice times. where is the 800m at the weekend?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice times. where is the 800m at the weekend?
    Thanks. Its my own county championships :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

good luck

If i was doing those times in training I would be targeting a 2:00 800m

dna_leri wrote: »
    good luck

If i was doing those times in training I would be targeting a 2:00 800m
    I'm starting to think I can get close to 2 minutes anyway after my last few speed sessions, I know I'm in much better shape now than I was when I ran 2:07 indoors. I seem to be fairly good at pacing myself for 800's too I don't usually blow up on the last lap.. I think I'll go out in around 60 seconds and see how I go from there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I think I'll go out in around 60 seconds and see how I go from there :)

some of us could only dream of saying this ^ :)

best of luck for the race this weekend.

hypersonic wrote: »
    some of us could only dream of saying this ^ :)

best of luck for the race this weekend.
    Thanks! The weather forecast isn't looking too good but hopefully it'll hold for my race.

I knew the second I looked out my bedroom window this morning that I wouldn't run as fast as I would have liked with the wind and rain. To make matters worse I only managed to get less than 5 hours sleep, I was still wide awake at 5 this morning.

There was no proper timetable for the event so I had to judge myself what time my race would be on. My 800 was supposed to be on immediately after the 400m so I was fully warmed up at this stage but then had to wait around for almost a half an hour before they got the race started. They even tried to switch the 5000m to before the 800m but I was having none of it so kicked up a fuss so they changed it a back, none of the 5000m runners had even started warming up at that stage.

The seniors and masters were ran off together so there was a big field. I knew I would have to do a solo run because I knew none of them would be breaking 2:10. I didn't mind too much because I had it in my head that I'd end up running solo anyway. When the gun went off I took up my place in the lead and came around in about 61/62. I didn't feel great tbh because my legs had started to get a bit stiff from all the waiting around. There was a very strong wind but I didn't notice it too much on the first lap because I was fresh. For the second lap I knew it would be tough running into the wind as I was tiring. With 300m to go the wind hit like a tonne of bricks topped off with the pouring rain. I really had to work hard to even maintain the pace nevermind picking it up. With 200 to go the wind was strongest especially on the bend and I really struggled to push against it. With 100m to go I could really feel the lactic and just pushed as hard as I could, I never felt as tired as I did on that last 100m, my legs and arms felt so heavy I could hardly move!

Once I passed the line I could feel my lungs on fire and my head was killing me, I ended up puking my guts out in the toilet!

Final time was 2:06:01. A knew PB and a nice shiny gold medal.

I suppose I can't complain to much since I got a PB but I know I can run faster given the right race and conditions, but today they were just terrible. I gave it everything I had and there's no way I could have run faster out there!

I hope to do another 800m next month to bring down my PB even more, I reckon I can run around 2:02-2:03.

Monday 24th of June:
    6 miles @7:06 per mile. Did this one on grass followed by 5x50m strides. Felt good.

Tuesday 25th of June:
    Track session today. On paper was 12x400m with a 3 minute recovery. First four were supposed to be in 70's, second four in 68's and final four in 66's. So every 4 were suppose to be 2 seconds faster.

Times: 69,69,69,68,68,68,68,68,65,66,66,63

Felt good for this session so I'm very happy with it. The times were slightly faster than what was on paper but I knew I'd be capable of going faster. Perfect weather for it too with only a slight breeze at times. This was the type of session where I felt I could stay going if I was told too, it wasn't that tough but was by no means easy.

7 miles total.

Wednesday 26th of June:
    6 mile run this evening split between road and grass. I didn't bring the watch on this one so don't know what pace I was going. Felt good the whole way and my legs weren't stiff or tight after yesterdays session. I finished it off with 5x50m strides. Afterwards when I got home the legs started feeling a bit stiff so I did a bit of foam rolling and feel now, should be ok for the session tomorrow!

Session today which I did on grass at my clubs training grounds. The session was 5 min, 4 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min fast with a one minute jog recovery in between. The session lasted 20 minutes in total and was continuous running, no stopping or walking.

This kind of felt like a tempo/fartlek type session and was tough enough, I find the hardest part is the 1 minute recovery jog and then picking it up for the next fast run when your still out of breath. The grass hadn't been cut in a few days and was fairly long which made it a bit tougher!

The point of this session is too run for time not distance so I wasn't too worried about how much I was covering but I had the garmin on so I was able to work it out. The first 5 minute run was @5.09 per mile and the 4 minute run was around 1240m so around the same pace. After that as the runs got shorter I was getting faster so I didn't try to work out the distance. I hit the 5k in 17 minutes exactly. In total I covered 3.53 miles in the 20 minutes, that includes the five 1 minute recovery jogs.

Overall I'm very happy with this session, ran faster than expected but it was tough!! I'm racing a 5k on the track on Sunday so will be taking it easy until then.

7 miles ran in total.

This would be my last 5k on the track this year so I was hoping to do a fairly decent time or even get a pb. Training has being going well the last 4 weeks but its slightly more focused on speed and the shorter events. Still though I don't think that made too much of a difference.

Surprisingly I got a good night sleep on Saturday, usually I can't sleep a wink the night before a race! The weather was terrible, a strong wind and a constant mist which varied in intensity. Luckily the rain stopped for my race but there was still a fairly strong wind.

The timetable was off by about 15 minutes so I delayed a bit in my warm up. Next thing I knew the girls race was nearly finished so I had to run over to the start line to do my drills and stretches. I left it a bit too late and only got 2 strides done before the race started. Not ideal because I felt my legs weren't loosened out enough.

The race got under way with the first lap in 78 seconds, I knew this would be slow for the leaders and sure enough after hitting the first km in 3:15 the pace suddenly picked up. There was a large field because they had the junior and u.23 race together so I just sat back and let the leaders off who ended up running 15:08! The first mile went through in 5:10 and then we hit the 2k in 6:30. At this stage I was becoming detached from the few lads I was holding on too and the field suddenly began too string out so I found myself on my own. It didn't really feel like I slowed down that much but ended up going through the 3k in 9:52. I tried too pick it up but only went through the 4k in 13:15. At this stage I was beginning to catch a few lads and ended up passing out 3 in the last km and almost caught another on the line.

Final time: 16:34

At first I was disappointed but then I realised that I can't run a pb every race, the weather was terrible and the wind really held me back, having to push into that every lap can be tough! I find 5k's on track mentally tough at times and its so easy too loose your pace. One second a lap could me a loss of 12-13 seconds in your overall time. When I ran my pb it was ideal conditions, no wind and the sun shining. There was a group of 4 of us with 700m to go when I pulled away and it felt comfortable letting everyone else do the work. When your on your own you have to do the work yourself and it can be hard pushing it when theres nobody to work off.

Overall I'm happy. 9 seconds outside my pb and my second fastest 5k ever. Next up is a 10k road race on Wednesday. Its a lovely flat 2 lap course. I've no real expectations just to go out and run and hopefully get a good time :) I feel good today so I should be fully recovered. Im off today so I'll do a few easy miles tomorrow with a few strides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Just catching up on this log now. Super running this year you seem to be going from strength to strength keep it up.

Looking at the sessions you have been doing the training philosophies your coach has look quite familiar and look to be based on very solid principles. I reckon by the end of the summer you will bust out a very fast 1500m without a doubt.

Keep up the good work and best of luck in the 10k

ecoli wrote: »
    Just catching up on this log now. Super running this year you seem to be going from strength to strength keep it up.

Looking at the sessions you have been doing the training philosophies your coach has look quite familiar and look to be based on very solid principles. I reckon by the end of the summer you will bust out a very fast 1500m without a doubt.

Keep up the good work and best of luck in the 10k

Thanks ecoli :) I haven't ran a 1500 since the indoors and managed a 4.19 so i reckon I could definitely run much faster now.

• Advertisement

Haven't updated this in a few days because I actually forgot about it and then got lazy. Good weeks training anyway :)

Monday 1st of July:
    Rest after race the day before.

Tuesday 2nd of July:
    3 miles easy on grass followed by 6x50m strides. Felt tired and the legs were a bit heavy even after the strides which usually loosen them out. Still wasn't fully recovered after Sundays race.

Wednesday 3rd of July:

10k road race. I'm happy with the run but not with the time if that makes sense, I wasn't fully recovered from the 5k last Sunday and ended up running 35:32. I can't really write a proper report because I've all my splits and stuff forgotton! I'm concentrating on the shorter stuff at the moment and haven't been doing much long stuff in training so I'm happy to have gotten in this race as a good training session and too build up some strength.

Thursday 4th of July:

4 miles easy on grass. Didn't time this one because I was just taking it handy and was fairly wrecked from the 10k.

Friday 5th of July:
    6 miles on grass @6:45 per mile. This run felt much slower than it was but I felt good and the weather was lovely for it. Originally I was suppose to do a session but my coach said to leave it off because I wasn't fully recovered after the two races.

Saturday 6th of July:
    Rest.

Sunday 7th of July:
    Long run of 12 miles in 1:20:44 @6:44 per mile. Felt good for this one and ended up doing the last 6 miles in under 39 minutes. It was very warm so I went out early to avoid the worst of the sun.

Total mileage this week: 35 miles

Advertisement