Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: Round 7 - Canadian Grand Prix

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Pretty stupid with the booing to be honest. I'm far from a Vettel fan after Malaysia but if this was Silverstone the winner would receive a round of applause no matter what nationality they were, no matter what skill level they had. Vettel drove a perfect race in terms of nobody being able to catch him. Disappointing to hear that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pretty stupid with the booing to be honest. I'm far from a Vettel fan after Malaysia but if this was Silverstone the winner would receive a round of applause no matter what nationality they were, no matter what skill level they had. Vettel drove a perfect race in terms of nobody being able to catch him. Disappointing to hear that to be honest.

Its to be expected. All goes back to multi 21 and his behaviour around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He's looking very wrinkled and grizzled lately as well. I think this season with McLaren is taking it's toll on him, he'll be gone grey before the end of the season :)

Looks like he needs some rejuvenation courtesy of Head & Shoulders. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Sad news that a marshal died. Seems he tripped in front of the mini crane thing that was carry Esteban's car away from turn 2. Driver of the crane didn't see him and drove right over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Did I see correctly on the second last lap vettel posted the fastest lap then on the last lap Webber took it I think maybe a little dig there we know vettel loves to get the hat trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Very sad to hear a marshal was killed at todays race R.I.P

RIP. Seems Brundle was inadvertently very correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Very sad news about the marshall, rip.
    Santan wrote: »
    Did I see correctly on the second last lap vettel posted the fastest lap then on the last lap Webber took it I think maybe a little dig there we know vettel loves to get the hat trick
    Webber got it on the second last lap and vettel went purple in the first sector on the last lap but got held up by the Catherham so he backed out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks like he needs some rejuvenation courtesy of Head & Shoulders. :pac:

Maybe he needs Lewis back to develop the car for him. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

FIA news release on the marshalls death

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/6/14668.html
    Marshal dies after crane accident in Montreal 09 Jun 2013

The FIA has confirmed that a Canadian Grand Prix marshal has lost his life after being run over by a crane towards the end of Sunday’s Montreal race.

The marshal was assisting in the retrieval of Esteban Gutierrez’s crashed Sauber when he tripped and fell into the path of the mobile crane that was recovering the car to the pits.

He was treated at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve’s medical centre before being transferred to Montreal’s Sacre-Coeur hospital, where he subsequently succumbed to his injuries.

The FIA statement in full:
    The FIA is sad to announce the death of a Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada circuit worker, at 6:02 pm.

The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l’Ile Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon’s Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada. The worker was helping to recover a car which had stopped during the race. The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up. As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.

The worker was transported via helicopter to Sacre-Coeur Hospital where he was treated by the traumatology department of Dr Ronald Denis, Deputy Chief Medical Officer and Dr Jacques Bouchard, Chief Medical Officer of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the worker succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.

The FIA, l’Automobile Club de l’Ile Notre-Dame and the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Martin brundle was right unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jeez that's terrible. RIP

What did Brundle say? Did he see it happening or something?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Jeez that's terrible. RIP

What did Brundle say? Did he see it happening or something?

Nah, he said he doesn't like seeing those mobile recovery trucks/cranes as they're more dangerous if another car was to crash into it rather than crashing into the car being recovered. He almost crashed into one before I think he said.

There was no hint that anything was wrong on the Sky footage anyway, and what was a bit surreal was Lazenby and Hill were doing some post race analysis in the pit lane and Lazenby says to Hill to move out of the way lest a Sauber falls on you - presumably the same truck bringing back the Sauber to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

RIP to the marshall. If there wasn't any marshalls, we'd have no racing so we have to be thankful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Were they booing Vettle there? Not very nice...

Ferrari fans, Montreal has been a Ferrari stronghold for the last 30 years or so (loads of Italian immigrants, not to mention subsequent generations, the track named "Gilles Villeneuve", Jean Alesi taking his only victory there and so on). You could actually hear the crowd roar over the engines whenever Alonso managed to make a move on track.

It's not the first time, and Ferrari fans managed to do worse in the past: most "spectacular" has to be Imola 1983, when they pulled the amazing feat of booing Patrese and even throw stones at him after he crashed out with 6 laps to go; His guilt, having taken the lead from Ferrari's Tambay (which then went on to win in a sea of applause). An Italian driver booed and stoned while racing in Italy, mind you.

Silverstone can't be compared, it's a temple of motorsport and the crowd has, on average, a great appreciation for the race itself, before the British drivers/teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

astrofluff wrote: »
    Boardsies 1st 2nd 3rd
    recyclebin Kimi Alonso Vettel
    astrofluff Alonso Kimi Vettel
    potholes84 Kimi Alonso Massa
    Gintonious Alonso Massa Kimi
    vectra Alonso Kimi Massa
    restingpilgrim Kimi Vettle Di Resta
    lolie Alonso Kimi Perez
    wextext Alonso Vettel Kimi
    edgy Kimi Vettel Hamilton
    antodeco Vettel Kimi Hamilton
    tunguska Alonso Kimi Vettel
    gerbear1 Vettel Kimi Massa
    T-Maxx Vettel Alonso Massa
    colm911 Rosberg Vettel Alonso
    EnterNow Alonso Rosberg Massa
    Kxii Alonso Rosberg Kimi
    _rebelkid Hamilton Alonso Vettel
    bigboy Kimi Hamilton Alonso
    BFassassin Alonso Kimi Massa
    decisions Alonso Kimi Rosberg

OK so there was no winner once again this week....I'd say I could avoid giving out prizes for the rest of the year! Even so I will be giving out prizes to a couple of people. I'll use a random number generator to decide who gets the prizes later on tonight and I'll let everyone know once I've done that. I'm thinking of two winners with one picture each and I'll hold onto the other items. I'll be at Silverstone for the next race so I'll do my best to get a few bits and bobs from over there too for future prizes.

Also in a bid to get some interest for Le Mans in two weeks I might run somesort of a competition for that race if there's enough interest from everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Roll the draw over again Frostie. It's like the lotto, someone will get it right soon!

recyclebin wrote: »
    Roll the draw over again Frostie. It's like the lotto, someone will get it right soon!

Yeah it's like the local GAA team lotto....noone ever wins it but keeps entering it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

RIP to that Marshall. Very unfortunate accident. It actually happened after the race I think.

BTW hes the third marshal to die in F1 since Senna died. So maybe while the FIA have gone a long way towards protecting the drivers who are very well paid in the main they haven't done so well in the case of marshals. Maybe it needs looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's not the first time, and Ferrari fans managed to do worse in the past: most "spectacular" has to be Imola 1983, when they pulled the amazing feat of booing Patrese and even throw stones at him after he crashed out with 6 laps to go; His guilt, having taken the lead from Ferrari's Tambay (which then went on to win in a sea of applause). An Italian driver booed and stoned while racing in Italy, mind you.

A bit of context to this story - Patrick Tambay was driving Gilles car - Ferrari No.27, Gilles had been denied victory the previous year when Didier Pironi 'robbed' Gilles of victory and Gilles was killed in qualifying at the next race in Zolder.
    Patrese would win 7 years later to the delight of the Italian fans.

As for the booing - its said that the Canadian fans are amongst the most educated in F1, so the booing could be as much against Red Bull as Vettel for their recent behaviour.
    Moaning/Bitching/Upsetting one of the most popular drivers in F1 (Webber) and then going onto lap the majority of the field doesn't sit well with fans - RB marketing have been concerned since 'Multi 21' of a backlash against Vettel - with good reason it now transpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I laughed at ted kravitts re Van der Garde turning in on webber.
    Ted says something along the lines of .....

goes to show, you should always remember to .. Pass the dutchie on the left hand side.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Also in a bid to get some interest for Le Mans in two weeks I might run somesort of a competition for that race if there's enough interest from everyone

I'm gonna say Audi. No-one else can say that now! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

mickdw wrote: »
    I laughed at ted kravitts re Van der Garde turning in on webber.
    Ted says something along the lines of .....

goes to show, you should always remember to .. Pass the dutchie on the left hand side.
    I love Ted, a bit random but his passion for Motorsport and all things mechanical really comes across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

decisions wrote: »
    I love Ted, a bit random but his passion for Motorsport and all things mechanical really comes across.

I've become a serious fan of his after race/qualy notebook thing he does. It's not dull like the rest of Sky's post race stuff.
    It's usually posted on youtube for anyone without sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I've become a serious fan of his after race/qualy notebook thing he does. It's not dull like the rest of Sky's post race stuff.
    It's usually posted on youtube for anyone without sky.

Probably my favourite segment of the Sky coverage. I do be amazed at the amount of random people he knows while walking around, they don't seem to know him however.

The random winners of the photos were AntoDeco and Vectra so I'll PM each of you for your contact details and send them onto you!

Advertisement