Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The calibur of people we have in the University system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tastyburger

There a difference between shooting game and killing someone's pet dog and laughing about it afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

There a difference between shooting game and killing someone's pet dog and laughing about it afterwards!
    And what's the substantive difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

And what's the substantive difference?

The legality for starters.

You can't see a difference? Substantively, I've never put a dog in the oven and eaten it! And i've never loved a pheasant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Vegeta wrote: »
    The legality for starters.
    That's why I asked for the substantive difference.

As it happens, the Control of Dogs Act occasionally allows for shooting dogs in the same way one might shoot a fox.
    You can't see a difference? Substantively, I've never put a dog in the oven and eaten it! And i've never loved a pheasant!
    Yes, killing someone's pet is undeniably a more grievous act than killing an animal whom nobody loves.

But from an objective standpoint, the fact that an animal is not loved is a weak defence of shooting wild animals for sport.
    It is in this sense that I don't see a reason why shooting foxes should be, on the face of it, more acceptable than shooting other canids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

That's why I asked for the substantive difference.

As it happens, the Control of Dogs Act occasionally allows for shooting dogs in the same way one might shoot a fox.

Yes, killing someone's pet is undeniably a more grievous act than killing an animal whom nobody loves.

But from an objective standpoint, the fact that an animal is not loved is a weak defence of shooting wild animals for sport.
    It is in this sense that I don't see a reason why shooting foxes should be, on the face of it, more acceptable than shooting other canids.

Foxes can kill livestock and cause a big loss to a farmers income.. and can be shot.. same way as if a dog is killing livestock he too can be shot if no other method of stopping him was possible.

Thats completely off topic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The scumbags should be up in court facing a possible prison sentence. Crimes like this should be treated as seriously as crimes against humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Downlinz

A lot of things I don't like about this thread. For a start the college court road at night isn't busy, it's a deserted cul-de-sac that might see the occasional taxi so the notion of it being a busy road seems strange.
    Secondly dragging UL into this is poor form, exams are over for two weeks and most people have cleared the area, a group of young people in the castletroy area does not equate to UL students.
    Thirdly classifying casual murder for entertainment as "anti-social behaviour" is a disturbing reality of how non-serious these acts are seen in our judicial system.

The story here is disgusting attitudes of youth and the effects of binge drinking or perhaps gang mentality, it's an insult towards condemning the act to try and make this about University students or Limerick.

I'd personally love for these people to rot the rest of their lives away even though I know it wouldn't happen. Doing this to a dog is no different to doing it to a child, they both trust you and don't understand the dangers of your game. One is apparently life in prison and the other a slap on the wrist for anti-social behaviour, I wonder how easily someone with a taste for this can move from one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

yore wrote: »
    Jaysus, leaving the poor oul' dog out of it for a minute, what do you want OP - a return of the day when to become a doctor you just had to come from good monocle-wearing "stock"?

Not really, how about fining or jailing them so severely that it will never be worth it for them to pull this sh!te again?

I honestly believe that this kind of scumbaggery has its roots in people getting off easy for lesser offenses and so testing the water for bigger ones. Come down hard on them when they're assh0le teenagers and they might grow out of it.

Seriously, you know those 12-13 year olds who throw eggs at people? They're the kind of gobsh!tes who grow up to do things like the OP references. Why? Because when they threw eggs at people when they were 12 years old, absolutely nothing happened to them as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Seriously, you know those 12-13 year olds who throw eggs at people? They're the kind of gobsh!tes who grow up to do things like the OP references. Why? Because when they threw eggs at people when they were 12 years old, absolutely nothing happened to them as a consequence.

That's a fair leap from throwing eggs to killing pets.

Most of us don't kill house pets for reasons that have nothing to do with the law. As mentioned before this is most likely a combination of poorly developed consciences and mob mentality. Both of which are essentially outside the scope of the law or any form of rational thinking.

• Advertisement

If this story is true it looks like the person involved didn't contact the university about it.... I spoke with the presidents office and UL haven't been contacted by the alleged owners of the dog... This is the official response from UL:

"In response to your query in relation to this matter, please note the following statement has been issued today

In response to the recent article and letter in the Limerick Leader regarding an incident in which a dog was killed, the University of Limerick’s position is that any activity involving cruelty to animals is deplorable and should be subject to the full rigours of the law. In the event that student involvement in any act of cruelty to animals is proven, this will also be handled under the University’s disciplinary procedures which are governed by a code of conduct for students.

The University has a comprehensive and robust system in place to investigate alleged breaches of the code by individual students and, where it transpires that students have breached University regulations, students are subject to a formal disciplinary process where the penalties include fines, suspension and, in serious cases, dismissal from the University. We have already encouraged any individual with information relating to this incident to report this in the first instance to the Gardai and where student involvement is suspected to notify the University for further investigation.

Since the University became aware of the report of an incident last week it has been proactive in seeking to address this matter. It has initiated its own enquiries locally to ascertain what had happened and these investigations are on-going. UL is in liaison with the Gardai and animal welfare authorities to enquire whether any complaints have been filed and to date it appears that there have been none.

The University has submitted a request to the Garda authorities asking that the incident be investigated and requesting the Gardai to alert the University if any evidence of student involvement is uncovered, as well as confirming that in the event that student involvement is confirmed the University’s disciplinary processes will be implemented.

UL has written to the person whose letter was published in the local media asking that she and others who she knows may have information on the matter make contact so that the full facts of the situation can be ascertained and appropriate actions taken.

The University at all times seeks to maintain good relations with our neighbouring communities and every effort is made through our Community Liaison Committee to strengthen our partnership with the wider community."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm finding it a bit odd that outraged in limerick saw people doing this and did'nt intervene or report it.

or that her brother went out and "scolded" them rather than scelped them with a hurley

Everybody was too busy abusing the wrong facebook page to report it the matter to the Gardai

New stupid facebook page
    "Petition to expel the UL students who lured a dog to its death."
    18 minutes ago
    "We hope to get a public apology from the Student Union also."

What would the SU be apologising for?

garv123 wrote: »
    What would the SU be apologising for?

Last RAG week they organised a game of catch with local stray dogs.

Some are suggesting that this was a front for a training camp to teach students how to lure dogs to their deaths.

Post the official response on that FB page.

UL is a good college and will handle the matter appropriately if it is true.
    What eejits created those FB pages before they contacted UL....

Post the official response on that FB page.

UL is a good college and will handle the matter appropriately if it is true.
    What eejits created those FB pages before they contacted UL....

The official thing to do now is abuse a company through facebook in hope of getting likes instead of doing the old way of picking up the phone and ringing them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Excalibur, brilliant film btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Op it doesn't take brains too get into university anymore. Cash and delusional ideas about the right to education decide university entry. I hoped these students get expelled for this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Op it doesnt take brains too get into university anymore. Cash and delusional ideas about the right too educational decide university entry.

I honestly have no idea what you're attempting to say here.

• Advertisement

I honestly have no idea what you're attempting to say here.

Fair enough bud. I havent really got the energy to explain it. Give it another bash in a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Being in 3 rd level and having the craic is an excuse that is used too much in this country

I would agree with Sasta le regarding the attitudes of those who want to attend third level university.

I would also agree with the op that people in third level should be above things like this. They should also realize how privileged they are to even be in third level education. I don't see any reason not to turf these people out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/dog-lured-to-its-death-by-university-of-limerick-students-in-drunken-game-1-5146594

It makes me very angry reading this - it makes me even angrier that my hard-earned taxes are paying for such louts to supposedly further their education. Anti-social behavior from students seems to be on a steady rise the last couple of years. Obviously as a society we should subsidize brains - economic circumstances shouldn't be a bar to talent, but do these UL students strike you as some of our best and brightest?

Poor aul dog...

They might be guilty of anti-social behavior but at least they can spell caliber correctly. :pac:

Whatever about how you phrased the comment, the argument itself is one of the more hyperbolic pieces of rubbish I've read on here. You don't think it requires a good deal of intelligence and hard work to get into and succeed in university? That's insulting to anyone who has done the requisite levels of work to get there.

If you think Irish universities are full of people who paid to get there or are there for charity causes then you're very wrong.

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think that every single person in college is of above average intelligence or has a good deal of intelligence. It's not something I see in my everyday life.

Barring the many people who drop out due to financial reasons or personal reasons there are people who are in college just to doss and have the craic. Some don't turn up for lectures or labs and there are a great many who shouldn't be there.

I agree it takes hard work to get there but some have it harder than others. I don't accept that a rote learning exercise like the leaving cert is an indication of intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

becost wrote: »
    They might be guilty of anti-social behavior but at least they can spell caliber correctly. :pac:

Maybe you mean 'calibre'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If someone did something similar to my dog, I wouldn't restrain myself from kicking 60 shades of shít out of them. No better than animals themselves.

Itzy wrote: »
    If someone did something similar to my dog, I wouldn't restrain myself from kicking 60 shades of shít out of them. No better than animals themselves.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s-dSL_g_SOw/UVSxn6ujgCI/AAAAAAAACpI/WXysfU5PekU/s1600/KeyboardWarriors_875361.jpg

It's my first time to call someone a keyboard warrior on boards! Now I'm goin outside to kick the p1ss out of everyone on the planet..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What are the toilets like in UL ?

I've seen some universities and in some areas the toilets look like they've been used by those who haven't been toilet trained yet :mad:

• Advertisement

What are the toilets like in UL ?

I've seen some universities and in some areas the toilets look like they've been used by those who haven't been toilet trained yet :mad:

All the public toilets I ever used in UL were infinitely better than the toilet in the house I lived in at the time.

The worst I saw on a day to day basis was graffiti and a bit of wee on the seat. Although the toilets in the Stables bar could get a bit messy at night.

Advertisement