Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The calibur of people we have in the University system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Poor aul dog...

When I read that a dog was lured to his death in Limerick, I actually thought it was referring to Willie O'Dea, but I was disappointed to find out it was an animal with much more talent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How does that reflect on the calibre of people in University? You'd be just as well asking how it reflects on the calibre of people in Ireland given the tiny proportion of the population these people represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I hope these scumbags get whats coming to them. The fact that they were students has no bearing, people can be so cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Why do people think that being accepted to university somehow filters out scumbags?

Some of the world's most murderous degenerates have attended university.
    "the role of academia has been to service the status quo, not challenge it in the name of justice, tradition, imagination, human welfare, the free play of the mind or alternative visions of the future"
    ― Terry Eagleton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Why do people think that being accepted to university somehow filters out scumbags?

Some of the world's most murderous degenerates have attended university.
    Ah of course, but "The calibre of people we have in the university system" is pretty hysterical. It was a tiny number of people, and that title implies such behaviour is widespread within the university system.

If a group of hurlers did it, "The calibre of people we have in the GAA" would be similarly OTT. It's the individuals that are relevant, not the organisation they belong to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Scumbags being scumbags = representative students in general or even UL students in general.
    Jail these w@nkers for animal abuse and let that be the end of it.
    Of course, the real issue here has nothing to do with students or even scumbags - get these guys in front of a judge and they'll get a suspended sentence, IE absolutely no punishment whatsoever. This country is an absolute joke when it comes to dealing with scumbags. You have to actually murder someone to get a decent spell in the Joy these days, and the truth is that most people who become murderers probably wouldn't have if they'd been taught a proper lesson when they were involved in petty crime like vandalism, assault, animal cruelty, burglary, or whatever.

The concept of the slippery slope is apparently lost on the Irish justice system. The only way you stop people becoming hardened criminals is by giving them a sound kick up the arse when they're petty criminals. In Ireland we wait until it's far too late before we start punishing people for committing crimes, by which stage they're set in their ways and no amount of jail time will turn them around. Deal properly with scumbags when they show the earlier signs of becoming scumbags and we might have a shot at actually preventing them from ending up this way.

I would imagine the lads who were involved in this horrible incident are the same type who used to shout at people for no reason at bus stops, throw eggs out the windows of cars they were driving past, have punching matches in broad daylight in public, etc etc etc.

Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

How does that reflect on the calibre of people in University? You'd be just as well asking how it reflects on the calibre of people in Ireland given the tiny proportion of the population these people represent.

Because the expectation is that people need a functioning brain to do university - these are not the actions of people with functioning brains, at least as long as they aren't psychopaths.

Actually, psycopathy may well be the case - isn't one of the sympthoms of that causing pain to defenceless animals? Scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Just finished up in UL and I feel bad that student there could have done this. During my time there everyone I met where very nice prople. This act should not reflect on the students of UL or any other college. I hope the sick person that did this gets what coming to him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I live a few minutes walk away from College Court and hadn't heard anything about this until now, strange. Exams have been over for 2 weeks already so it seems unusual for students to be around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/dog-lured-to-its-death-by-university-of-limerick-students-in-drunken-game-1-5146594

It makes me very angry reading this - it makes me even angrier that my hard-earned taxes are paying for such louts to supposedly further their education. Anti-social behavior from students seems to be on a steady rise the last couple of years. Obviously as a society we should subsidize brains - economic circumstances shouldn't be a bar to talent, but do these UL students strike you as some of our best and brightest?

Poor aul dog...

Jaysus, leaving the poor oul' dog out of it for a minute, what do you want OP - a return of the day when to become a doctor you just had to come from good monocle-wearing "stock"?

P.S. It's "calibre". These are the kind of things that these filthy plebeians would be learning to spell correctly in University. The cheek of them. Coming in and taking the places off those whose birthright it should be to attend those institutions and learn how to "spel korrektlee".

So what if some "scumbags" get into college? It's not the mandate or responsibility of any University to weed them out.

AH addendum: Anyway, it's Limerick. What d'ya expect.

• Advertisement

Ah of course, but "The calibre of people we have in the university system" is pretty hysterical.

Yeah but isn't the OP pushing the notion that people who go to University are, or should be, 'above all that'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doesn't matter who the little ****s are or what college they are going to, it was a horrible thing to do to an innocent animal.

Doesn't matter who the little ****s are or what college they are going to, it was a horrible thing to do to an innocent animal.

There's something about cruelty to animals, especially house pets, that drives me nuts. Cat cruelty especially makes me angry because cats run away from trouble instead of going looking for it.

Also, we normally had a cat as a house pet when we were kids - god help the fool who'd have hurt our cat when we were young'uns. Four big lads who aren't afraid of a bit of rough and tumble would have come down hard on someone who hurt our brother cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

yore wrote: »
    Jaysus, leaving the poor oul' dog out of it for a minute, what do you want OP - a return of the day when to become a doctor you just had to come from good monocle-wearing "stock"?

P.S. It's "calibre". These are the kind of things that these filthy plebeians would be learning to spell correctly in University. The cheek of them. Coming in and taking the places off those whose birthright it should be to attend those institutions and learn how to "spel korrektlee".

So what if some "scumbags" get into college? It's not the mandate or responsibility of any University to weed them out.

AH addendum: Anyway, it's Limerick. What d'ya expect.

It would be great if you actually took the time to read what I wrote in its entirity before launching into a tirade - I specifically and literally said economic means shouldn't be a barrier to talent, and that we have a responsibility to subsidize intelligent people. I just casted doubt on whether someone psychotic enough to do this to a defenceless animal has that sort of brains.

As for your emphasis on my spelling as opposed to my argument - dyslexia has a habit of causing problems in that department, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Because the expectation is that people need a functioning brain to do university - these are not the actions of people with functioning brains, at least as long as they aren't psychopaths.

Actually, psycopathy may well be the case - isn't one of the sympthoms of that causing pain to defenceless animals? Scary stuff
    well clearly are not familiar with people who are rated on the opposite educational scale then;ie those of us with intelectual disability because the majority of us have compassion for animals and interact beter with them than humans due to having less communicative requirements.
    emotional capacity is not the same thing as mental capacity,its always lower mental capacity that gets highlighted for destructive traits when borderline pd and pyschopathy et al are associated most commonly with high inteligence,why are people labeled at the higher end so afraid of being seen in the same group as destructive people with the same mental capacity? its almost like they see inteligence as their actual identity and anyone on the same/around/or higher level who has destructive traits is attacking them as a person.

people havent a clue on the actual reality of how LD [intelectual disability] affects us on a daily basis,our disability spectrum is regulary blamed for all the weaknesses and negative behaviors of humanity,stop letting insecurities get the better of self and thinking anyone gives a sht for being under the same label as some weirdo,if we all cared about that we woud all be sat here on anti anxiety pills because every group has its weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

in fairness you might as well blame drink for this, well that would be equally as stupid, but at least there is merit to that argument. drink flicks the 'yeah I probably shouldnt do that' switch off, even so absolutely no excuse for that obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

It would be great if you actually took the time to read what I wrote in its entirity before launching into a tirade - I specifically and literally said economic means shouldn't be a barrier to talent, and that we have a responsibility to subsidize intelligent people. I just casted doubt on whether someone psychotic enough to do this to a defenceless animal has that sort of brains.

As for your emphasis on my spelling as opposed to my argument - dyslexia has a habit of causing problems in that department, apologies.

Sorry. I shouldn't have taken the piss out of your spelling. It was just in the context of universities and education being related to the topic. Anyway, genuine apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/dog-lured-to-its-death-by-university-of-limerick-students-in-drunken-game-1-5146594

It makes me very angry reading this - it makes me even angrier that my hard-earned taxes are paying for such louts to supposedly further their education. Anti-social behavior from students seems to be on a steady rise the last couple of years. Obviously as a society we should subsidize brains - economic circumstances shouldn't be a bar to talent, but do these UL students strike you as some of our best and brightest?

Poor aul dog...

I don't get it - are you suggesting that all university students are dog killers?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

yeah all UL exams are finished with 2 weeks so it wasn´t anything to do with that either.

Being a UL student has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

scum none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Poor aul dog...

In fairness, the "but" after you wrote that really makes it seem like you meant to suggest that their economic background (which we know nothing about) was the cause of their actions. It might be worth rephrasing it.

I think alcohol and mob mentality are important factors here. These are probably not people who individually would seek out a dog to kill it in a horrible "game," but it's a lot easier to do that when your peers are all doing it and your judgement is seriously impaired.

I also don't think it's too shocking that these people are students. They might well be intelligent academically, but that doesn't make them immune to being sadists or being stupid in other ways. Lots of intelligent do nasty things, intelligence of a particular kind doesn't necessary guarantee that they have the intelligence or empathy to step back and look at their actions and their consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

[QUOTE"the role of academia has been to service the status quo, not challenge it in the name of justice, tradition, imagination, human welfare, the free play of the mind or alternative visions of the future"
    ― Terry Eagleton[/QUOTE]

nice quote. Its my belief that college and university actually blinkers youre world view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Cant... hold... it... in....

AAAAAHHHH!!!!

KEYBOARD WARRIOR AAAAAAHHHH!!!

IM GOING TO LIMERICK TO SLIT THEIR THROATS AAAAAHHH!!!

all joking aside that really angers me. I hope this blacklists them from getting any work for the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Unfortunately anti-social behaviour by students is a problem the world over and is pretty much an unavoidable issue really. When you have thousands of young people in their late teens who are clustered together away from home for the first time, unsupervised, subject to peer pressure and having access to alcohol then this sort of thing is going happen. It's a minority of people who will engage in sick acts like this however.

I lived on College Road in Cork for a year and was involved in three scraps with drunken degenerates. One Sunday evening I was sitting inside when my front door was kicked in. Another times I woke up to see people kicking my bins over etc. It's an unfortunate reality of student areas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tastyburger

You gota take what it says in the papers with a pinch of salt sometimes but reading this story made me angry. As a UL grad, I will be contacting the uni to see what their thoughts about this are.

This mob have done no favours for the reputation of UL and the ringleaders should have questions to answer in front of a disciplinary committee .. If u attend/graduate from UL you should have learned the lesson that animal cruelty is not ok.

Also it's hard to believe that no one from the group showed some remorse or said this is wrong....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Page 2 of the thread and no Excalibur jokes yet?

AH, I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Horrific story, and absolute scumbags...but no proof that they're students, as already mentioned. Also, as someone else posted, if it was assumed that the people involved were of any profession, would that be highlighted in the article? Just seems like another chance for people to bash students.

That said, I hope whoever did it is caught and punished accordingly. And if they are UL students, I hope the University takes action aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm from quite a rough area and went to a well-known university and I distinctly remember being a little bit shocked at first at how some of the students acted when on the piss

Not so much that I'm a complete innocent myself or that I was outraged, but in my naiveté, I had just assumed that kids from middle class backgrounds didn't act like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

God I wish I hadn't read this :(
    I'd have been hard up not to go at them with a hurley if I witnessed that. I know how wrong that is, but jesus. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

No doubt this was done in the name of 'banter'. Don't hold me accountable for my actions, I declare them to be banter and therefore I am irreproachable. Cowardly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 tastyburger

Anyone who went to UL will tell u that in Castletroy it's pretty easy to tell the student apart from the residents. I wouldn't doubt for a sec that they were students...

Advertisement