Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

One could argue that Cliff Compton (AKA Domino) has one of the coolest names ever and it's also his real name!

Rick Rude too. And Ric Flair (Flehir). Few cool ones. Dolph Ziggler's real name is pretty awesome, 'The Natural' Nic Nemeth. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Richard Blood AKA Ricky Steamboat!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,749 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Here's a random wrestling thought.

The nwo wasn't this cancer that killed wcw. I'd even say that without the nwo wcw wouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Was a guy I wrestled with in IWW and his name was Devon Starr and when I asked him his real name he said it was Max Angeles an I was like dude that is an instantly more awesome name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Itssoeasy wrote: »

The nwo wasn't this cancer that killed wcw. I'd even say that without the nwo wcw wouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

No one thing killed WcW imo.

It was a chain reaction of things. 1997 Starcade was the first domino and then one bad decision after another. Bret's heel turn, Goldberg losing to Nash, Flair turning heel, fingerpoke of doom, etc etc. Bash at the Beach 2000 and New Blood Rising were the final nails in the coffin.

In a masochistic kind of way i'm looking forward to watching Nitro 2000 on the Network :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,497 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Naomi, Tamina & Sasha are the The New Day Females.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »

If you want to get technical it was AOL Time Warner that killed WCW. Most notably Jamie Kellner who was handed control of Turner Broadcasting and wanted to move away from pro wrestling. That along with all the other b*ll**** that the network were doing back in the day. They restricted WCW an awful lot, and really toned down the product which may or may not have resulted in WCW losing it's edge.

You often hear stories of how much power and influence the NWO had backstage in WCW, and that the inmates ran the asylum but you can't really blame the NWO either. They was hugely popular in WCW and were the very reason why WCW began beating WWF in the ratings, and started the Monday Night Wars, which led to the attitude era. Although things did get a little messy towards the end in WCW, and the ****ty booking they had in 2000 and what not. But from what I hear WCW actually started to improve a little bit in quality just before it was bought by WWF. If WCW hadn't lost their tv deal, and Eric Bishcoff had purchased the company, maybe WCW would have survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'm sorry but I found that whole NXT diva invasion on RAW to be pure cringe. Between Stephanie's annoying announcing voice, the fact that it looked like she was trying to get over even though she's supposed to be a heel, Alicia Fox hanging around like a spare prick with terrible acting, the part where the three NXT divas applied Submission holds in the middle of the ring looked like sh*t, especially because NONE of the people in the Submission holds tapped out at all even though they were in them forever, the end of the segment where Paige, Becky and Charlotte shouted at Tamina, Sasha and Naomi as if there was a 20 foot fence between them and couldn't hit each other. Also that's way too many divas to bring up at one time if they are, according to Wikipedia there's now 14 active divas on the main roster which is way too much when you consider very few of them will be contending for the belt and the rest will be thrown into random tag matches.

And also, I've watched NXT in the past and realise that her theme is a remix of Ric Flair's theme but it just goes to show that when the WWE get a talent who is a 2nd/3rd generation superstar, they just take the easy way out and give them a rehashed version of their father's gimmick e.g. Curtis Axel, Charlotte, Ted Dibiase, Natalya, David Hart Smith. So Cody Hall, stay the f*ck away from WWE unless you want to be little Raz, especially when you consider that he's using his father's f*cking ring gear from almost 20 years ago!!

I didn't think that would turn into that much of a rant, I'm sure someone will disagree with my above point but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'm sorry but I found that whole NXT diva invasion on RAW to be pure cringe. Between Stephanie's annoying announcing voice, the fact that it looked like she was trying to get over even though she's supposed to be a heel,

I'll agree with Steph and her announcing voice being annoying but in fairness she wasn't putting herself over. She was introducing three new people to the division and it doesn't help that there are no clear heels or faces in the division so no matter who Steph sided with it would've been odd.
    the part where the three NXT divas applied Submission holds in the middle of the ring looked like sh*t, especially because NONE of the people in the Submission holds tapped out at all even though they were in them forever

They all tapped at one point or another. Cole even made the call for it but when you've six girls, close together all applying submissions, the hard cam wasn't going to pick up all three.
    the end of the segment where Paige, Becky and Charlotte shouted at Tamina, Sasha and Naomi as if there was a 20 foot fence between them and couldn't hit each other.

There were nine divas in that segment. Possibly the best Divas segment since Trish and Lita were around. You can't honestly expect the other six to go at it after three were taken out.

Becky and Charlotte showed they can Tap two "veterans" so Tamina and Naomi would obviously want nothing to do with them while they're fired up so they'll just shout at the trio.

Also that's way too many divas to bring up at one time if they are, according to Wikipedia there's now 14 active divas on the main roster which is way too much when you consider very few of them will be contending for the belt and the rest will be thrown into random tag matches.

Look and see many of those "active wrestlers" are Valets or haven't been seen on TV in ages. Emma is essentially in NXT full time again, Layla hasn't been seen in ages, Natalya is with Tyson for the moment with his recovery so it's good to have this resurgence. #GiveDivasAChance trends every couple of weeks so maybe this is them doing it. There's one title so not everyone will fight for it, but if they're serious about the division there might be more than just throwaway tags and more valets.

And also, I've watched NXT in the past and realise that her theme is a remix of Ric Flair's theme but it just goes to show that when the WWE get a talent who is a 2nd/3rd generation superstar, they just take the easy way out and give them a rehashed version of their father's gimmick e.g. Curtis Axel, Charlotte, Ted Dibiase, Natalya, David Hart Smith. So Cody Hall, stay the f*ck away from WWE unless you want to be little Raz, especially when you consider that he's using his father's f*cking ring gear from almost 20 years ago!!

She barely has a rehashed version of her Dads gimmick. Of course you'll play up the family heritage. She's a fantastic athlete but they only method Flair outright when saying this is in her blood and she does chops or a Figure Four. Natalya never had her fathers gimmick apart from the pink and black but again...family heritage it's in her blood. Axel never had his father gimmick, he has the remix theme and a shirt saying "better than perfect" but that's all. Not everyone gets the Dibiase treatment (incl.Virgil) but Cody Hall is a long way away from WWE yet. I can't even see them giving him a serious look with having no character other than being Scott's son

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cesaro has had a great month:
    -Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens (SmackDown 6/18)
    -Cesaro vs. Luke Harper (Main Event 6/23)
    -Cesaro vs. Luke Harper (Superstars 6/26)
    -Cesaro vs. John Cena (Raw 6/29)
    -Cesaro vs. John Cena (Raw 7/6)
    -Cesaro vs. Luke Harper (Main Event 7/7)
    -Cesaro vs. Rusev vs. Kevin Owens (Raw 7/13)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

rovert wrote: »
    Cesaro has had a great month:

And ratings are in the toilet #blamecesaro #vincelogic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

And also, I've watched NXT in the past and realise that her theme is a remix of Ric Flair's theme but it just goes to show that when the WWE get a talent who is a 2nd/3rd generation superstar, they just take the easy way out and give them a rehashed version of their father's gimmick e.g. Curtis Axel, Charlotte, Ted Dibiase, Natalya, David Hart Smith. So Cody Hall, stay the f*ck away from WWE unless you want to be little Raz, especially when you consider that he's using his father's f*cking ring gear from almost 20 years ago!

You're sort of right but you're also leaving out a lot of people I don't ever remember Randy Orton rocking up in cowboys boots ? Or the Rock taking after Rocky Johnson, Bray or Bo Wyatt asking to do you're taxes ? Or how bout Goldust or Stardust wearing polka dots or Jimmy or Jey USO wearing a big thong...Its easy to say things when you're being selective there is arguements both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I only just found out that its Andre the Giant in the Obey logo!

obey_logo_3826.gif

I only just found out that its Andre the Giant in the Obey logo!

obey_logo_3826.gif
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That's pretty cool, I don't think enough people know about that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

He's everywhere

go to 1 min 59 sec or watch the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Trainwreck featuring John Cena....must resist obvious snarkery..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Pentecost wrote: »
    Trainwreck featuring John Cena....must resist obvious snarkery..

Meltzer's snark will top anything you can come up with....

"Cena’s first role in a non-WWE major film is as a former bodybuilder boyfriend of the lead character, played by comedian Amy Schumer in the movie “Trainwreck,” which is about her dating life and not about the TNA promotion."

Dave Meltzer, 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭briany

Good for Cena. If he got some success in movies, he'd deserve it. Whatever you think about his wrestling persona, I've heard very little to counter the notion that he's honest, hard-working and decent as the day is long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm trying to decide on a plan of action for tonight. Battleground is at 1am till about 4am, the opening night of the G1 is at 7am, in theory this sounds like a fantastic night of wrestling. The problem is that I'll be exhausted by 5am. I may sleep before Battleground but will that be enough? Maybe watch one of them later, though I'd rather catch them both live as they happen. I'm currently thinking maybe I'll buy a 6 pack of Monster energy and hope I don't hit my head too hard as I'm bouncing off the walls. The dilemmas of fans living in these isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Record Battleground and get your sleep, the only good thing about Battleground will be Rollins/Lesnar & Owens/Cena..

Though that's my 2 cents on your dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Record Battleground and get your sleep, the only good thing about Battleground will be Rollins/Lesnar & Owens/Cena..

Though that's my 2 cents on your dilemma.

The Monster has been purchased, set for bed at like 9 o clock, the night of wrestling/crazy caffeine high is on!

The Monster has been purchased, set for bed at like 9 o clock, the night of wrestling/crazy caffeine high is on!

Godspeed you devoted pro wrestling fan.

My one gripe about Becky, Charlotte, & Sasha Banks debuting on Monday - WHY DID STEPHANIE HAVE TO GET INVOLVED.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

My one gripe about Becky, Charlotte, & Sasha Banks debuting on Monday - WHY DID STEPHANIE HAVE TO GET INVOLVED.

Public Relations. Stephanie wants to ride the wave of sportswomen being mainstream (again).

Possibly wasn't a consideration but I would have reservations about having Becky and Charlotte talk on their debuts on live TV. Not the most confident of speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Yea, was an absolute joke. Made it about a hundred times less exciting as it woulda been if they had done a nexus / shield style invasion

rovert wrote: »
    Public Relations. Stephanie wants to ride the wave of sportswomen being mainstream (again).

Possibly wasn't a consideration but I would have reservations about having Becky and Charlotte talk on their debuts on live TV. Not the most confident of speakers.

I get the whole PR side, good publicity and what not, but having Stephanie out at ringside wasn't needed...Felt crowded with The Bellas & Alicia, then Paige & Becky & Charlotte, then Naomi & Tamina & Sasha.

Whereas if it were just The Bellas + Alicia feuding with Paige + Becky & Charlotte i'd have been fine with it, but Stephanie, Tamina & Naomi shouldn't have been out there... Also would've kept Sasha as the wild card, have her debut a few weeks down the line, in regards Becky & Charlotte talking on their Raw debut, could have as easily have Paige say ''Oh i brought some back-up'' and have Becky & Charlotte come through the crowd and attack The Bellas & Alicia..

I'd give it a month before WWE's Creative team screw it up.

But that's just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,497 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm fed up of hearing "This is Awesome" chants when it clearly isn't that awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

"This is mildly entertaining"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement