Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I see Wooza pizza are opening up a new premises on Middle Street, where the old coffee place used to be, beside the Taibhdhearc.

With Dough Bros opening just up the road, it's going to be the pizza centre of Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I see Wooza pizza are opening up a new premises on Middle Street, where the old coffee place used to be, beside the Taibhdhearc.

With Dough Bros opening just up the road, it's going to be the pizza centre of Galway!

I wonder are Wooza moving or opening a second place?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dough Bros have a sign up outside the new place, and were getting photos taken there today. I'd guess opening there next week.

The Pura Vida cafe on Spanish Arch (the one with seats outside) was closed at 11am today. No sign or anything, but seems like an odd time for them to be closed.

Quay Street food is now open. Separate daytime and night menus. Day is mostly Lebanese / Greek influenced, while night is a mix of that and Asian.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, I'm a fan of Lebanese and Greek food

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Anybody know anything about Harlowe? It's an American style burger place. Got it delivered from Deliveroo last week. Seriously good food.

Can't seem to find much about them online though. I'm guessing it's a food truck or something. Their Facebook page puts their location as Quay Street but I don't think I've seen anywhere new go in recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

biko wrote: »
    Sound, I'm a fan of Lebanese and Greek food

Ditto, can't wait to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Anybody know anything about Harlowe? It's an American style burger place. Got it delivered from Deliveroo last week. Seriously good food.

Can't seem to find much about them online though. I'm guessing it's a food truck or something. Their Facebook page puts their location as Quay Street but I don't think I've seen anywhere new go in recently.

I'm guessing it's a food truck as that's what they're calling themselves on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/harloweIrl/. I see they're doing a pop-up at 56 Central this Thursday.

We got some of their food delivered by Deliveroo and did not enjoy it as it was stone cold. No surprise there as it was delivered to Salthill by push bike :eek:. That experience has completely put me off Deliveroo. In regard to the food itself, the wings were pale and rubbery but the burger would have been good if served at the proper temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm guessing it's a food truck as that's what they're calling themselves on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/harloweIrl/. I see they're doing a pop-up at 56 Central this Thursday.

We got some of their food delivered by Deliveroo and did not enjoy it as it was stone cold. No surprise there as it was delivered to Salthill by push bike :eek:. That experience has completely put me off Deliveroo. In regard to the food itself, the wings were pale and rubbery but the burger would have been good if served at the proper temperature.

Deliveroos employment practices are a much better reason not to order from them http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/deliveroo-strike-students-education-worker-rights-working-while-at-university-a7203651.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There was something on fb yesterday regarding them doin something in conjunction with 56 Central.

There was something on fb yesterday regarding them doin something in conjunction with 56 Central.

https://www.facebook.com/harloweIrl/photos/a.196404944054821.1073741831.195482494147066/281334928895155/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I only ever see that poor guy on the bike when it's pissin out of the heavens :D

The burgers are definitely good when fresh. Best I've had in a long time. I like the fries too but they might not be to everyones tastes. Wings don't seem to be an option any more. Not a fan of wings in general so wouldn't be trying them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The Maxol Petrol station in Westside seems to be closed, not sure if temporary or for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he closed yesterday rather abruptly

He already has the whitestrand Maxol Station & now that himself & the wife had their first baby, he decided he was being spread too thin between the home & two stations.

He simply gave up the lease nothing more.

I'm sure it will be open again under new management before too long.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

<allegation with no source, not on topic>

gufc21 wrote: »
    <allegation with no source, not on topic>

Have you anything to substantiate the content of that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's drop that line of discussion, not on topic and could get boards in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

I'm not sure if it really fits here but heard the warwick in salthill is finally to be demolished

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'm not sure if it really fits here but heard the warwick in salthill is finally to be demolished

Nursing home going up in its place afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

gufc21 wrote: »
    Nursing home going up in its place afaik

That seems strange as there's an (abandoned?) one across the road

• Advertisement

That seems strange as there's an (abandoned?) one across the road

That's a "boutique hotel" now, I can't remember the name of it but I think it's something like the Elm(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

b.gud wrote: »
    That's a "boutique hotel" now, I can't remember the name of it but I think it's something like the Elm(s)

It's The Nest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Nest is calling itself a boutique "hostel" - but changing hotel prices. I can't see how it will work myself, but that's another story.

As the population ages, we can expect to see more nursing homes popping up. Today's standards (eg that people who live for years in a place should have their own room and ensuite) mean that many of the older ones are closing / closed and being replaced.

And n the Warwick's case, it will probably be catering to the same clients as before, just at a later stage in their lives :-)

It's The Nest now.

Ah thanks, knew it had something to do with a tree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

As the population ages, we can expect to see more nursing homes popping up. Today's standards (eg that people who live for years in a place should have their own room and ensuite) mean that many of the older ones are closing / closed and being replaced.

And n the Warwick's case, it will probably be catering to the same clients as before, just at a later stage in their lives :-)

Might put my name down if they keep the liquor license :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Nest is calling itself a boutique "hostel" - but changing hotel prices. I can't see how it will work myself, but that's another story.

Saw this place on the artist/interiors guy Dan Gardner's facebook. Very ...niche, hipster-ish decor, the reception looks like a building site with random planks of exposed wood hanging at angles over the desk. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Had a look on their fb and the rooms look comfy. They have new "dorm" rooms that sleep several it seems so maybe it'll be something for everyone price wise from now on.

Gotta hope they do ok!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

And n the Warwick's case, it will probably be catering to the same clients as before, just at a later stage in their lives
    :-)

That's a nice thought. Popular place from student days (late fifties ). Central, a lot of passng traffic.

( Note to self ): Sfay friendly wiht children and grandchildren

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

nuac wrote: »
    That's a nice thought. Popular place from student days (late fifties ). Central, a lot of passng traffic.

( Note to self ): Sfay friendly wiht children and grandchildren

They should turn more hotels into nursing home really. I heard from a taxi guy that the people out in the one that is now The Nest had a ball, out on the prom,going for coffees, always going in and out to town in taxi's for lunch, dinner, a drink in the evening, said they kept the taxi's in business during the bad years.
    Sounds like they way to do it you can manage it once you're older!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I suppose it would be premature, or just bad taste to list Shannon Dry Cleaners in Bohermore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I suppose it would be premature, or just bad taste to list Shannon Dry Cleaners in Bohermore?

Both, I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement