Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's further out the Tuam Rd past Monaghan's Skoda showroom - they were trading from a portacabin for a while - the new show room is now open.

That's Colm Quinn BMW dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

That's Colm Quinn BMW dealership.
    Yeah that's what the initial post was about. The showroom is very impressive and as Ludikrus said, they plan on opening a roof-top putting green, which seems absolutely bizarre to me. It's right beside Monaghans (who renovated their showroom while Colm Quinn was being built).

Dacia is beside Applegreen in Liosban. Also, they seem to have restarted work on the new showroom at Flemings which had seemed to stall for a while. Won't be long until that's completed I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That one is definitely closed alright. The unit is up on daft.ie for rent, 2,500 per month if i remember correctly.

It's a funny enough spot, you'd expect good passing trade, but in reality, it seems most people just pass by in a hurry to get to where ever they want to go.

Classico Cafe and Restaurant opening soon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Classico Cafe and Restaurant opening soon there.

Ya, the Mrs saw it today walking by. Hopefully they make it, so many have gone in that unit and closed down within months.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Texoil in Ballindereen:

2rdyqmq.jpg

This is the same company that had issues in Cork when their staff had a sit in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057307977

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sweetie Pies (now in Upper Abbeygate St, previously Middle St) is renamed Red Velvet. I'm not sure if closed and re-open in the middle or just a name change.

Sails Cafe in Eyre Square Centre closed at the end of last week - no signs, but the furniture and fittings are all pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sails Cafe in Eyre Square Centre closed at the end of last week - no signs, but the furniture and fittings are all pulled out.

Wow! Sails has been going a long time! Surprised it's gone, always seemed to tip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sofa King wrote: »
    Texoil in Ballindereen:

This is the same company that had issues in Cork when their staff had a sit in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057307977
    That place was closed because they wrecked a load of peoples engines with dodgy fuel though.

Wow! Sails has been going a long time! Surprised it's gone, always seemed to tip away.
    Which one was Sails? What business is next door? I cant remember what it looks like at all.

Thargor wrote: »
    That place was closed because they wrecked a load of peoples engines with dodgy fuel though.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Sweetie Pies (now in Upper Abbeygate St, previously Middle St) is renamed Red Velvet. I'm not sure if closed and re-open in the middle or just a name change.

According to the Sweetie Pies facebook, the owner of Sweetie Pies closed it due to ill-health and her sister has opened it up as Red Velvet. Seems to be much the same products, just renaming and redecorating.

Which one was Sails? What business is next door? I cant remember what it looks like at all.

The name doesn't ring a bell with me either, is it the one beside Insomnia in the Eyre square shopping center?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

It was the café in the centre of the ground floor think new look is across from it.

It was, ahh, underneath the sails!

Yeah, I think Insomnia might have killed it. Was surprising busy from the day it opened, kinda scary what the power of a brand will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Falguni Indian Restaurant and Takeaway has just opened in the former Tamarind premises in Upper Salthill (upstairs over Da Roberta's/Urban). Dropped in to pick up a takeaway menu and most mains appear to be priced at €9.95/10.50. A nice new carpet has been installed and the room itself redecorated so I hope it's a success for the owners and their investment pays off. According to the takeaway menu, Falguni is a sister restaurant of Khazana Indian in Claregalway. They've been going quite a few years so hopefully that's a good sign for their new premises.

Sofa King wrote: »
    Link?
    I cant get a link sorry but my parents live 15 minutes away and I know people who worked there, its definitely true.

The name doesn't ring a bell with me either, is it the one beside Insomnia in the Eyre square shopping center?
    JillyQ wrote: »
    It was the café in the centre of the ground floor think new look is across from it.
    It was, ahh, underneath the sails!

Yeah, I think Insomnia might have killed it. Was surprising busy from the day it opened, kinda scary what the power of a brand will do.
    Ah right, strange that place was always packed whenever I looked down from the balcony, never went there myself for some reason though, actually I never go down there by the old city wall, must take a stroll down there sometime.

Falguni Indian Restaurant and Takeaway has just opened in the former Tamarind premises in Upper Salthill (upstairs over Da Roberta's/Urban). Dropped in to pick up a takeaway menu and most mains appear to be priced at €9.95/10.50. A nice new carpet has been installed and the room itself redecorated so I hope it's a success for the owners and their investment pays off. According to the takeaway menu, Falguni is a sister restaurant of Khazana Indian in Claregalway. They've been going quite a few years so hopefully that's a good sign for their new premises.

Was it not an Indian restaurant before Tamarind? All the best to them anyway. I remember years ago when it was a Chinese restaurant(Ocean Palace?), the place was quite busy, and then it changed hands, went down hill since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 IrishGuy2014

One of the same owners as tulsi is well.

Twitter sez..

Coming soon on Forster St, Biddy Fox's Pub (@BiddyFoxs): https://twitter.com/BiddyFoxs?s=09 Trad every day and ballads

I guess the old Foxes reopening with music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

O'Briens Sandwich Bar in Eyre Square Centre is gone as well. Rumours of them finishing before Christmas but they closed down last Monday. Sad to see both Sails and O'Briens close down in the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

magentas wrote: »
    O'Briens Sandwich Bar in Eyre Square Centre is gone as well.

I passed it recently. Couldn't believe it was still there. Was sure the recession would have seen to it long before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I am surprised that O'Brien's closed. Was it doing badly?

I would have thought there's a big opportunity in there for some kind of sandwich/coffee/lunch place.

With Sails & O'Brien's gone, it's a wide open market for Insomnia & Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

aw wrote: »

I would have thought there's a big opportunity in there for some kind of sandwich/coffee/lunch place.

Not suprised really, the o Brian's in liosban is the standard they should all be at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A market they have obviously taken over, theres also Pascals on the way to Edward Sq which seems to do well.

A market they have obviously taken over, theres also Pascals on the way to Edward Sq which seems to do well.

Shh, Pascal's is a well hidden gem, don't want too many people knowing about it or it will be mobbed!

Also at the other end of the centre is the g-Counter takeout, and Puffs and Tarts. Lots of cafe options in the wider area, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I wasn't in it for a long time, but it seemed extremely expensive.

Maybe I just think sandwich places are expensive in general, but their prices did seem a bit much for what it was.

Maybe others disagree, but I thought it would always be difficult to compete because of that.

Driving pass Eyre Square earlier I noticed the 'Eyre Square Shop' next to Fibbers.

They didn't seem to have a lot of stock or a deli instore.

Hope it works well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Falguni Indian Restaurant and Takeaway has just opened in the former Tamarind premises in Upper Salthill (upstairs over Da Roberta's/Urban). Dropped in to pick up a takeaway menu and most mains appear to be priced at €9.95/10.50.

Oh no, I didn't even know Tamarind had closed :eek:

I used to love their slow-cooked Indonesian curry (I forget the name).

Still, it's nice to have an Indian again in Salthill.
    Was it not an Indian restaurant before Tamarind? All the best to them anyway. I remember years ago when it was a Chinese restaurant(Ocean Palace?), the place was quite busy, and then it changed hands, went down hill since then.

It's been lots of places :) I think it also used to be Pantai a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

There's a little coffee hut built into a giant sign in what used to be an ATM - how long has that been there or am I going bonkers? Near IMC cinema

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement