Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst console you ever owned?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

circadian wrote: »
    I guess you feel the same way about the Saturn.

We tend to feel the same way about any console which has a vast library of amazing games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You all need to take off the blinkers and realise it is possible to dislike the Dreamcast's library of games and it is highly likely that it is the worst console someone might have owned.

IMO the PS3 and 360 are both better than the DC.

The consoles I've owned have been Atari 2600, NES, Mega Drive, SNES, Gameboy Pocket, Playstation, N64, GBA, GBA SP, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, PS3, 360 and DSiXL.

Of this list, the only one the DC easily beats is the original GBA.

Obviously the DC shíts all over the 2600 from a technical standpoint, but I had so much fun playing Joust, Asteroids and Centipede that I might prefer the 2600 to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But that in turn will have people expressing opinions on consoles they have never owned and so little experience with to form a cogent viewpoint.
    It's bad enough having folk piping up with such bull as the PS2 or DC being somehow lousy machines to own, when by any measure they were not.

The aforementioned notion that the DC was home to poor PS ports is simply, empirically wrong, it was host to a great many Naomi ports, most of which were brilliant, and that's not including the excellent catalogue of fighters and Shmups on the system.

But, such threads normally descend into anarchy anyhow,
    At least no one has been called names or likened to fascists yet.... but give it time....

Yup I completely agree but there in lies the problem, people can only form a proper opinion on what they have played.

For example, people are being slated for saying the
    Sega saturn was their worst experiance and thats fair
    as it is relative to their overall console owning experiance.
    In contrast there has been consensus that some consoles such as
    the CD-i are the worst and to be honest thats all
    relative to what you actually own. For instance the
    CD-i may be an absolute Gem of a console compared
    to say the Vectrex.

I don't know if that's true as I've never owned one but it could well be!

My point is, it would be nice to savour people
    opinions for what they are and not splag on about
    how they're wrong in what they say! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

elfy4eva wrote: »
    YFor instance the
    CD-i may be an absolute Gem of a console compared
    to say the Vectrex.

Don't you even dare bad mouth the Veccie.

Master of the Universe

But the point of this thread was for people to discuss actually owning bad consoles with crap libraries rather than what they 'perceive' to be bad consoles...wasn't it? For example I owned a game.com on release - clearly a piece of crap with next to no redeeming features. All you have to do is google the games library to see that fact.

If that's not the case, and any console can be 'the worst' because 'everyone's entitled to their opinion based on their first hand experience rather than facts', well then there's no discussion to be had really is there as everyone is 'right' by default?

Okay then, worst console I've ever owned was the 360. Why? Because it's my opinion man, don't question my opinion! :P

• Advertisement

No, the point of this thread was to state the worst console you ever owned.

The OP chose the Game Gear but even stated himself he knows it's far from the worst console ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well to be honest if you say that the Saturn or Dreamcast is the worst console ever despite not having experience the best its library has to offer don't act surprised or hurt when people tell you it's because you don't have enough experience of the machine to make an informed decision.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    If that's not the case, and any console can be 'the worst' because 'everyone's entitled to their opinion based on their first hand experience rather than facts', well then there's no discussion to be had really is there as everyone is 'right' by default?

The thread refers to consoles you've owned. So maybe folks owned a great console but only had a few duff games for it, or just didn't like the ones they had even if they were considered good in the main.

Not sure why the regulars on here are getting so upset if someone picks out the DC or Saturn as the worst they've owned. Worst console ever is not relevant in this thread.

And how come none of you have mentioned the Wii U? That's got nowt going for it at the moment, surely a contender. Although retr0 just creamed himself after that E3 video by the sounds of it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

WiiU

Total complete crap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The key to this has been said, if someone suggests that console N is pitiful then it is beholden upon others with a differing opinion to explain why, thereby energising the debate.
    You say the DC is sh1te, I tell why it's not.
    He says the CDi is a misunderstood classic, we all point and laugh.

And the Vectrex is awesome, non owners do not have any valid opinion on it, so neat it before I set the dogs on you!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well to be honest if you say that the Saturn or Dreamcast is the worst console ever despite not having experience the best its library has to offer don't act surprised or hurt when people tell you it's because you don't have enough experience of the machine to make an informed decision.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    The thread refers to consoles you've owned. So maybe folks owned a great console but only had a few duff games for it, or just didn't like the ones they had even if they were considered good in the main.

Not sure why the regulars on here are getting so upset if someone picks out the DC or Saturn as the worst they've owned. Worst console ever is not relevant in this thread.

Exactly my point.

Sure I listed the GBA as the worst console I ever owned. If I was to go on games library alone, then it'd be a ludicrous decision, but the terrible screen and uncomfortable design made it a nightmare for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The key to this has been said, if someone suggests that console N is pitiful then it is beholden upon others with a differing opinion to explain why, thereby energising the debate.
    You say the DC is sh1te, I tell why it's not.
    He says the CDi is a misunderstood classic, we all point and laugh.

And the Vectrex is awesome, non owners do not have any valid opinion on it, so neat it before I set the dogs on you!

Master of the Universe

Then the thread title should be 'consoles you've owned which didn't appeal to you'.

'Worst consoles you've owned' to me indicates a genuinely crap console you owned rather than one you didn't like for personal taste reasons. We must all just be taking our own reading from the title :)

If someone says the Saturn or Dreamcast is the worst console they've owned (when they clearly have immense libraries covering every genre possible) then I'm genuinely interested in hearing why. If it was because they just bought duff games then it wasn't 'the worst they owned' - they just made some bad purchasing decisions. The poor console shouldn't bear the brunt of their bad choices :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As a bog standard regular poster in this forum, my take on it is the thread asks "what is the worst console you ever owned" & means in your personal opinion. Therefore, if someone mentions a Dreamcast, it's as valid as anyone elses nomination, if it's the worst console that the poster ever owned in his/her opinion. Sure it's controversial to mention such a console as the worst owned, but there's no accounting for taste :D

If the thread were asking, "What's the worst console of all time" & a Dreamcast is mentioned, then that'd be clearly wrong. But my take on it is this thread asks users what they're worst console was in their opinion...in my opinion :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They can have the opinion that the Dreamcast was the world's worse console since the.. well the Sega 32X but THEY'D STILL BE WRONG DAMMIT!

You're all a bunch of fascists.
    Especially you, with whom I disagree...

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    As a bog standard regular poster in this forum, my take on it is the thread asks "what is the worst console you ever owned" & means in your personal opinion. Therefore, if someone mentions a Dreamcast, it's as valid as anyone elses nomination, if it's the worst console that the poster ever owned in his/her opinion. Sure it's controversial to mention such a console as the worst owned, but there's no accounting for taste :D

If the thread were asking, "What's the worst console of all time" & a Dreamcast is mentioned, then that'd be clearly wrong. But my take on it is this thread asks users what they're worst console was in their opinion...in my opinion :o

But for the sake of discussion (this being a discussion forum and all!), should people not be able to debate their claim?

'Everyone is entitled to their opinion' is such a weak phrase, it just boils everything down to statements. You should be able to back up your logic with proper reasoning. If you don't, and don't allow people to question it, it it's not a discussion.

'The Saturn was a pile of crap LOL'

'Can you back this up? Clearly it wasn't - you just didn't buy the good games'

'STFU, EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION!'

Or am I just suffering from a case of this?

tumblr_mme54mwfdq1r8rauqo1_500.png

But for the sake of discussion (this being a discussion forum and all!), should people not be able to debate their claim?

Debate is certainly warranted, but I can't help but ask myself..."How can I tell someone that they enjoyed a console more than they say they did?"

Again, debate would be better suited to a 'worst console of all time' thread...this one though, asks users for their own experiences, not just their opinions.

Its all a little bit semantical*

*word may not actually be a word

Master of the Universe

Debate is certainly warranted, but I can't help but ask myself..."How can I tell someone that they enjoyed a console more than they say they did?"

Again, debate would be better suited to a 'worst console of all time' thread...this one though, asks users for their own experiences, not just their opinions.

Its all a little bit semantical*

*word may not actually be a word

It's most definitely semantics, and I'll put the 'dramaz' down to different interpretations on the thread title. ;)

BUT!

If someone backs up their claim by saying something non factual, like 'most of the games on the Dreamcast were PS1 ports' or 'the only Saturn game worth playing in Europe were Sega Rally and Nights' or simply, 'the Dreamcast was ****' then clearly those points are open to debunking as they are incorrect.

Anyway, I'm veering back towards the 'SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!, MUST CORRECT ALL ERRORS!' line of debate so will bow out at this stage. :pac:

On a footnote, I'd just like to say, the Tiger Game.com is genuinely ****. I weep at the memory of when I first switched it on.

If someone backs up their claim by saying something non factual, like 'most of the games on the Dreamcast were PS1 ports' or 'the only Saturn game worth playing in Europe were Sega Rally and Nights' or simply, 'the Dreamcast was ****' then clearly those points are open to debunking as they are incorrect.

Yeah that's true. It's not entirely fair to rubbish a console, because you didn't fully explore it. Oh, where to draw the line...

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true. It's not entirely fair to rubbish a console, because you didn't fully explore it. Oh, where to draw the line...

Thanks to Retr0's ongoing attempts to endear us to the CDi we all know just how lousy it is, so we are all perfectly entitled to make the statement,
    "The CDi is the worst console of all time"
    should we wish to.

In an interesting reversal of the norm, if someone was to say,
    "Well, I liked the one game I owned for it and, anyway, the Dreamcast was much worse", we know such an individual would be banned from the forum and possibly from life itself, as either mentally ill or an obvious troll (who is obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

I read the thread name incorrectly... mine would be the PS2. I'm a Nintendo fanboy so i cant bring myself to buy new games for it. Even the OK games that came with it are spoiled because I personally hate the controller. Bias neurotic reasoning, but its the truth.

paperwork wrote: »
    I read the thread name incorrectly... mine would be the PS2. I'm a Nintendo fanboy so i cant bring myself to buy new games for it. Even the OK games that came with it are spoiled because I personally hate the controller. Bias neurotic reasoning, but its the truth.

Well, at least you own up to being a fanboy and finding the PS2 controller a drag is no sin.
    But....
    The PS2 games library is so broad, from racing titles to platformers, from rpgs to fps', it's hard to allow the controller to tar everything, no?
    Isn't there an adaptor or two out there that'll let you use other controllers instead, or are they all the other way, only allowing PS controllers on other formats?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I was making a joke the way lads, calm yo tits.

Advertisement