Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst console you ever owned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If someone gives me a list of a consoles best games and Im seeing lots of generic ports like street fighter and cannon fodder then no, i dont thonk the console was a success- it brought nothing new.
    I could very easily provide a list of ten Saturn exclusives. And even at that, a lot of those shmup ports (Radiant Silvergun) are unique to the Saturn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    If someone gives me a list of a consoles best games and Im seeing lots of generic ports like street fighter and cannon fodder then no, i dont thonk the console was a success- it brought nothing new.
    I could very easily provide a list of ten Saturn exclusives. And even at that, a lot of those shmup ports (Radiant Silvergun) are unique to the Saturn.

I don't disagree that a console needs to have some original games to make it stand out but there's nothing wrong with ports if they are good games.

RS was ported to the Xbox 360. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

What's the definition of worst here?

A console that flopped?
    A console that had few killer games?
    A console that had technical issues and failed regularly?
    All of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

What's the definition of worst here?

A console that flopped?
    A console that had few killer games?
    A console that had technical issues and failed regularly?
    All of the above?

Whatever console you feel was the worst you ever owned. It's a good idea to share examples of your bad experiences with it for everyone to consider. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

If someone gives me a list of a consoles best games and Im seeing lots of generic ports like street fighter and cannon fodder then no, i dont thonk the console was a success-

Street Fighter for the 3DO was far from generic and for many years it was the definitive home version. Need for Speed and Road Rash on the other hand were not even ports, they were originally released on the 3DO and later ported to the PS & Saturn.

Ports such as Theme Park, Cannon Fodder and Star Control II also had many features unique to the 3DO. I'm not blindly defending the 3DO but to ask for a list of ten great games and then to immediately dismiss said replies for invalid reasons is incredibly unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ps3

mandatory installs, shutting down of servers every few days for maintence, removal of features, a slow xmb menu and a store that was recently updated that no one ask for at the end of the console lifecycle. it makes purchasing and navigating for digital games a chore.

games wise it has the worst 3-4 years of its console cycle. ports of games like the orange box , bayonetta (etc) that were below par compared to the 360 versions and one of ps3 architecture been like building a pyramid with a rusty pair of scissors for developers the ps3 lost alot of games or games that were delayed for years before coming over.

Is it a curse every console manufacture ****s up on the 3rd console ?

Sega with the sega saturn
    nintendo with the n64
    playstation with the ps3
    xbox with the supposedly xbox one

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Wii, only console I don't regret selling, poxy controller.
    Mario Kart is good on it though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah yes let's name the Virtual Boy because we never played one. If you actually own a virtual Boy you'd know that despite the tiny amount of games released on the system, the majority were superb. Mario Tennis, Wario Land, Red Alarm, Galactic Pinball, Jack Bros, Teleroboxer, Vertical Force, etc. It's a fantastic system.

Also whoever hates the Wii it;s not the Wii's fault but your own. It's a fabulous system with a huge amount of excellent and very interesting games and you only have your own laziness to blame for not exploring the library fully.

As for the worst system I've ever owned it's got to be the CDi followed by the Xbox.

The CDi, what to say about it. It's best games are all available on other platforms. While the nintendo games such as the first two zelda games on it are hardly the terrible like some sources will claim, in fact they are actually quite good, outside of those titles there's not a lot to the system.

The Xbox suffers from a lack of decent exclusives. While it has some like PD Orta, JSR Future, Phantom Dust, etc. there's a severe lack of worthwhile exclusives on the system making it kind of obsolete.

It does however have the most american game ever. Metal Wolf Chaos is absolute gold.!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also whoever hates the Wii it;s not the Wii's fault but your own. It's a fabulous system with a huge amount of excellent and very interesting games and you only have your own laziness to blame for not exploring the library fully.

I don't hate the Wii but I have tried most of the killer app games for it and I'd say that the only two I ever got any enjoyment out of were Smash Bros Brawl and Sonic Colours.

The motion crap novelty wore off very quickly, same thing with the Kinect.

Now if we're talking about console purchases that I regret - Kinect all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The CDi, what to say about it. It's best games are all available on other platforms. While the nintendo games such as the first two zelda games on it are hardly the terrible like some sources will claim, in fact they are actually quite good, outside of those titles there's not a lot to the system.

391800771506666.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gotta be the PSP.. Can't be bothered explaining properly but I remember being ridic excited for its release having had it paid for months in advance.

Used it sparingly for about 6 months and that was that.

Huge let down. (For me anyway)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

callaway92 wrote: »
    Gotta be the PSP.. Can't be bothered explaining properly but I remember being ridic excited for its release having had it paid for months in advance.

Used it sparingly for about 6 months and that was that.

Huge let down. (For me anyway)

There are some good games on it, to be sure, Burnout Legends, Ridge Racers 2, Lumines, Outrun 2006, Locoroco and its sequel, numerous others, but every time I bought one it was played for a couple of months before becoming a paper weight.
    I have had 3 psp consoles over the years, the last one being given to me by someone who had left it in a drawer for a year. I bought a PSP Go and that has been barely used!

But, it's still not the worst.
    As a platform for unique games I think someone had bit the nail on the head, Kinect had been the biggest disappointment with nothing to merit it in anyway. I keep looking for that big release that will make it a must have but the great hope, Children of Eden, is better on a regular controller. The less said about Steel Battalion the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Back in the day, I was a gamecube person, and when I eventually bought a cheap PS2 off someone in school, I was unimpressed. GTA, some medal of honor game, a racing game, didn't like any of them./ At the time, I was young enough to not appreciate stuff like Ico/Final fantasy X etc, so I sold it soon as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cloud493 wrote: »
    Back in the day, I was a gamecube person, and when I eventually bought a cheap PS2 off someone in school, I was unimpressed. GTA, some medal of honor game, a racing game, didn't like any of them./ At the time, I was young enough to not appreciate stuff like Ico/Final fantasy X etc, so I sold it soon as possible.

The PS2 has such a broad library, in every genre, that you'd be hard pressed not to find a couple of years worth of games to play there, regardless of your previous gaming habits.
    Sure, there are a ton of lousy titles but also so so many great ones, and a lot that no gamer should have missed.
    From the Devil My Cry series to the aforementioned Ico/SoTC, GTA III/VC/SA, Read Dead Revolver, GT4, Colin McCrea, Coldwinter :) the number of great games are almost countless.
    The Gamecube had good games, heck it had amazing games, just not enough of them, once you got away from Nintendo titles they thinned out, with Capcoms Resi 4, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 saving the day, along with the likes of Ikaruga that knocked one out of the park!

The PS2 still represents the machine I played the most of my entire collection and it still gets played weekly even now, with the likes of Sega Rally and Raiden III getting a run.

No I mean, there's stuff on the ps2 I like now, thanks to the HD collections on PS3. I meant at the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

PS2 in a worst console list ? Pure trolling....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Achilles wrote: »
    I don't hate the Wii but I have tried most of the killer app games for it and I'd say that the only two I ever got any enjoyment out of were Smash Bros Brawl and Sonic Colours.

The motion crap novelty wore off very quickly, same thing with the Kinect.

You're missing out on so much then if you think the Wii is just motion controls and Nintendo games (which are superb). The Wii is more about the more obscure games on the system which people need to play before they write it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm not blindly defending the 3DO but to ask for a list of ten great games and then to immediately dismiss said replies for invalid reasons is incredibly unfair.

Apologies if my replies seemed unfair, I'm posting from my phone as I still have no internet at home - makes it difficult to compose a proper retort!

So do you think you can judge a console as a success if most of its best were ports?

I cant say Ive ever felt compelled to buy a 3DO - what am I missing out on now which would be a unique experience to that console?

Come to the next Beers in mine and you can sit through the best the machine has to offer.
    I have most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

dusf wrote: »
    You need to find another device for Netflix, another crap thing about the Wii is that it will not output the HD you are paying for.

The Wii really is not a multi media device - full stop. It has strained for years under relatively meagre demands from me, or at least the years I used it for such. Now, it doesn't get used for anything. I really must try to go back and finish Mario Galaxy one of these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I like the Wii, it has a good few gems for it. What I detest about it though, its that controller, it's abysmal.

I think the controller is great. It's very ergonomical and works well for most games. The problem is that motion controls are just very limited but as a standard controller I find it fine as long as traditional dual analogue controls are accommodated by the pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Xbox 360 because of the RROD and a subscription that should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Wonderswan Color: Honestly, nothing against its library, which's grand enough, or really, most of the hardware, but that screen is so goddamn dark.

Need to upgrade to a Crystal, methinks.

Xbox 360 because of the RROD and a subscription that should be free.

Eh, no.

Even with the RROD and the fact that I'm on my 4th 360 the machine still got more play than anything else since 2005.
    And the subscription may have cost money but at least it worked, and flawlessly, so it's all down to that really and if a user gets value for money.
    For how to do it wrong look a PSN, sure it was free but it was a dog and slow to download anything, while the PSN+ account was a blatant U-turn by Sony, who had previously scoffed at MS and the subscription.

The 360 also played host to most of the iconic games of the last 8 years, so in no way was it the worst console, maybe it was your worst console, which is unfortunate because what did you wind up playing for the last 8 years instead? For the first 2/3 years of the PS3's life it was barely worth turning on FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Eh, no.

Even with the RROD and the fact that I'm on my 4th 360 the machine still got more play than anything else since 2005.
    And the subscription may have cost money but at least it worked, and flawlessly, so it's all down to that really and if a user gets value for money.
    For how to do it wrong look a PSN, sure it was free but it was a dog and slow to download anything, while the PSN+ account was a blatant U-turn by Sony, who had previously scoffed at MS and the subscription.

The 360 also played host to most of the iconic games of the last 8 years, so in no way was it the worst console, maybe it was your worst console, which is unfortunate because what did you wind up playing for the last 8 years instead? For the first 2/3 years of the PS3's life it was barely worth turning on FFS.

Nothing while I was waiting for my 360 to come back from Microsoft. The early model was a disgrace which ended up costing Microsoft a fortune. I'm not talking about games or the brilliant controller but the actual console which was as reliable as a Nigerian bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

PSP Go for me. I bought it as the idea of having all my games stored on the device, not having to buy physical media, access to the PS One back catalog, and being able to get a game straight away on release was very appealing. Fantastic product in theory but Sony just screwed it over. The PS One games I wanted to play (Resident Evils, Silent Hills, Abe Oddysey, etc) didn't get an EU release and nearly every release I wanted to buy only got released in disk with no option to download. Plus the device was a hand cramp nightmare.

Some of the PS One classics got a later release but I had given up on it by that stage.

I remember when I was 12, the day the 360 came out, some kid on a morning breakfast show crying cos he'd traded in like all his stuff, GC, PS2, original xbox, games, to get a 360 and it was broken out of the box*

*random side note

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

I think I'd have to say the Atari 2600, even though I remember being so amazed and excited when I got to play a cousin's 2600 (woody) console. I suppose it was just so disappointing to find out how crappy the games were. The pictures on the cartridges always promised so much but delivered so little. See Missile Command for example. Loads going on in the picture, blocks and lines in reality.
    256766.jpg

Pole Position on the arcade machine was quite blocky but the game was brilliant (let me know if anyone ever finds a sit-in cab please!) On the Atari they somehow made the game totally crap. Have a look:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/10564103/top_5_gaming_greatest_cats/?source=playlist&passiveNav=1

I never had a Sega Game Gear, but I liked the Atari Lynx. It was colour when the Game Boy was still B&W. Its styling also looked like something from the Alien films. There was a surfing game on it I remember playing a lot.
    256767.jpg

The Xbox 360 was amazing for how many failures there were and more amazing how they got away with selling something that always seemed like an unrefined prototype. The volume of the noise from the fan and optical drive was ridiculous I thought. I really am still amazed to this day that it was let out to market before they made that aspect of it more refined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The CDI doesnt really belong here.Its not a console, its a VCD player that runs the odd interactive CD ;)
    Worst console? I dunno I've never had a 360 last more than a few days without irrecoverably rroding, so there's that...
    Probably the least played console I have is the Gamecube, so I guess if I had to pick one it'd be that.(you know my irrational hatred of first party nintendo games , plus the controller is like a mutated dual shock..it ..just doesnt work for me , sorry.)

Advertisement