Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst console you ever owned?

Options
  • 01-06-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭

For me, it was the Sega Game Gear. A clunky, battery eating behemoth with an adapter that broke on day 1. In retrospect, I would've been much better off with a Game Boy.

I am aware, however, that it was far from the worst system ever produced, just the worst I've owned. What's the worst ye have owned and when did the point come that you got past your buyer's delusion and realised that you owned a terrible product?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Jaguar probably. Funnily enough I enjoy having it there, but in terms of worst console I own in terms of support & enjoyment, it has to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I don't think I really have any bad consoles. I reckon my least used/least favourite would probably be the original Xbox. I only got one recently, and I've only got about three games for it. I've never actually liked the console though, even though I know it's a well respected machine. It's probably great, but the human skull sized joypad and the fact that I'm a PS2 fanboy left the poor auld Xbox gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Jaguar probably. Funnily enough I enjoy having it there, but in terms of worst console I own in terms of support & enjoyment, it has to be it.

Same. Like that I own it because its such a relative oddity but it really is a terrible console

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Game.com - bought one on release :(

I thought the modem cart was the future!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think I've owned any truly awful consoles but for certain periods certain consoles were pitiful, despite picking up later on, and principal amongst these is the PS3. Fup me but the first year, year and a half was tortuous, with an awful array of console exclusives and the 360 was striding away with the lead in every sense, even if you counted rrod.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't think I've owned any truly awful consoles but for certain periods certain consoles were pitiful, despite picking up later on, and principal amongst these is the PS3. Fup me but the first year, year and a half was tortuous, with an awful array of console exclusives and the 360 was striding away with the lead in every sense, even if you counted rrod.

You bought a 3DO :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »

Hey now, I won't hear a word against the 3DO, its cool & thats that.

Master of the Universe

Hey now, I won't hear a word against the 3DO, its cool & thats that.

Name 10 good 3DO games! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Commandos for a start!

It appears they didn't make that :( but flashback was a brilliant game they made!

Oh it appears I was thinking of army men toys in space. that was a good game :)

Super SF2 Turbo
    Starblade
    Cannon Fodder
    Alone In The Dark
    Another World
    Flashback
    Need For Speed
    Road Rash
    Star Control 2
    Return Fire

Now the real challenge, would be to name 10 Good Jag Games...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Need for Speed,
    Road Rash,
    Return Fire,
    Street Fighter,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Alone in the Dark
    Another World,....

Killing Time,
    Wing Commander III,

Ok I'm struggling here....

Gex perhaps or maybe Doom no definitely not... hmmm... someone help me out please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

The Nintendo Wii is a piece of sh!t apart from Mario, Mario Kart, and Punch Out.

All of the other games are crap and/or for 8 year olds/old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Need for Speed,
    Road Rash,
    Return Fire,
    Street Fighter,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Alone in the Dark
    Another World,....

Killing Time,
    Wing Commander III,

Ok I'm struggling here....

Gex perhaps or maybe Doom no definitely not... hmmm... someone help me out please.
    The Wii. I've played it maybe 10 times since launch. It only ever gets powered up these days for Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

i_kill_you.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Achilles wrote: »
    The Wii. I've played it maybe 10 times since launch. It only ever gets powered up these days for Netflix.

You need to find another device for Netflix, another crap thing about the Wii is that it will not output the HD you are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I don't think the Wii is too bad has some decent niche-y games. I never owned one when it was at its peak but I picked up a cheap used Wii on Adverts a few weeks ago, My only reason to buy it at all was so I could play some of my favorite Gamecube games on my LCD Tv. My Gamecube wouldn't display properly on it.

Master of the Universe

Sorry guys I forgot a stipulation - name 10 good games which are original ips. Ports dont count for ****!

Master of the Universe

Youre doing it wrong! Wii has many many amazing games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's a toss-up between NES and PSX... Those are literally the only two I had, I'm more the home-computer type with Amiga's, Spectrum's and C64's :D

There you go, there's a sh1te machine right there. :P
    Sorry guys I forgot a stipulation - name 10 good games which are original ips. Ports dont count for ****!

A good game is a good game. Unless you're telling me all those Saturn shmup ports don't count?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

Super SF2 Turbo
    Starblade
    Cannon Fodder
    Alone In The Dark
    Another World
    Flashback
    Need For Speed
    Road Rash
    Star Control 2
    Return Fire

Now the real challenge, would be to name 10 Good Jag Games...:D

Indeed. Someone should also try to name 10 well received Virtual Boy games. A challenge because I think 10 games is about the extent of it's catalogue.

The thing about the 3DO was that it had some beyond awful titles available for it as well. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is one that is often cited but also I think that the 3DO threw it's lot in with the 'interactive entertainment' buzz of the early 90s, along with the CD-i a generation before, before the PS swept it and the rest of the fifth gen aside. I understand it was also prohibitively expensive to begin with.
    dusf wrote: »
    The Nintendo Wii is a piece of sh!t apart from Mario, Mario Kart, and Punch Out.

If it really were aimed at the elderly, I wish they would have made a lawn bowling sim or shuffleboard sim. I would have played the **** out of that.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A good game is a good game. Unless you're telling me all those Saturn shmup ports don't count?

On fire today my man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Sony PSP about 5 years ago. The cotrol stick on the left went relatively quickly. Fair enough I got a replacement PSP. Also I own a Sony Vaio laptop. It's. Been quite nifty the 2.5 years I've had it. I gave away my Sony PSP replacement console about 3 months after getting it. The Sony PS vitamarketing plan is just as bad

Youre doing it wrong! Wii has many many amazing games.

Nothing that interests me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nothing that interests me though.

Xenoblade Chronicles!!??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

dusf wrote: »

So, no room in your heart for...

Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Excite Trucks
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Zelda Skyward Sword
    Pandoras Tower
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
    Okami: Wii Edition
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Kirbys Adventure
    Kirbys Epic Yarn
    Goldeneye Reloaded
    Monster Hunter 3
    Sin and Punishment 2
    House of the Dead OVerkill
    No More Heroes
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Pikmin 1&2
    Boy and his Blob
    Animal Crossing: City Folk

All great, all for regular gamers and none designed with children/old people in mind.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, no room in your heart for...

Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Excite Trucks
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Zelda Skyward Sword
    Pandoras Tower
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
    Okami: Wii Edition
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Kirbys Adventure
    Kirbys Epic Yarn
    Goldeneye Reloaded
    Monster Hunter 3
    Sin and Punishment 2
    House of the Dead OVerkill
    No More Heroes
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Pikmin 1&2
    Boy and his Blob
    Animal Crossing: City Folk

All great, all for regular gamers and none designed with children/old people in mind.

Actually I think the only time my Wii has ever seen significant usage was when SSBB came out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

PS2.

briany wrote: »
    Indeed. Someone should also try to name 10 well received Virtual Boy games. A challenge because I think 10 games is about the extent of it's catalogue.

Sure, maybe, but it did have at least 8 games worth playing

Galactic Pinball
    Warioland
    Mario Clash
    Marios Tennis
    Red Alarm
    Vertical Force
    Teleroboxer
    3D Tetris

All of which offer a pretty good time, and I know as I own most of them.

The thing about the 3DO was that it had some beyond awful titles available for it as well. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is one that is often cited but also I think that the 3DO threw it's lot in with the 'interactive entertainment' buzz of the early 90s, along with the CD-i a generation before, before the PS swept it and the rest of the fifth gen aside. I understand it was also prohibitively expensive to begin with.

The 3DO shared a generation with the CDi, the 3DO coming out, in the west, a year later.
    The 3DO was a far more sophisticated piece of equipment.
    The 3DO got some lousy games, yes, but name me a hardware platform that didn't?
    What the 3DO did get was a list of games that, while short, were pretty damn impressive and many of which are still good today.
    Return Fire is one of the best examples, it plays beautifully, the visuals are solid, like it's some toy set your are wrecking havoc with, and the music and fmv are probably some of the best from an era that is often condemned by the cack-handed attempts to exploit the CD as games storage.
    Road & Track present The Need For Speed is another lovely game, sure the frame rate is a little low by todays standards and the car models leave just a little to be desired but it played/plays great, the tracks are iconic and, if playing the 3DO version, you get the great fmv as well.
    Starblade is all sorts of awesome and was probably the first proper arcade conversion of a modern 3d rendered game, with both the arcade original and an upgraded version in there too boot.
    Star Control II is simply one of the most enjoyable RPGs I've played, and it includes a very well regarded melee mode as well.

Thing is, all a console really needs is one outstanding game to make it worth buying, an experience you simply can't find on any other platform.
    Sure, many of the 3DO games appeared on other platforms like the Saturn and the Playstation but, thanks to hardware differences, the ports were never much more than paler versions of the technicolour originals.
    Yes, NFS has more tracks on the PS but the colour depth is lower so it doesn't look as nice.
    Yes, Return Fire made the trip to the Saturn and PS as well, but they changed the cutscenes and turned the jeep into a hummer, not as cool.

With this in mind, prior to the 3DS, there simply was no other way to play a game of tennis in 3D unless, of course, you actually go out and play an actual game of tennis!
    Galactic Pinball is very impressive.

Similarly, the Vectrex, a machine with few games but those that are out there make owning the machine a pleasure, Minestorm for example.

There really is no such thing as truly lousy hardware, aside from the CDi, only lousy games, even the Jaguar has Tempest 2000, best version anywhere.

cloud493 wrote: »
    PS2.

Feel free to leave, don't let the door smack you on the back of the head as you go, don't want your head print on my new door..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Amstrad GX-4000, CDi, Jaguar CD, Atari 7800 .... Hmm I seem to have a thing for crap consoles..

Advertisement