Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst console you ever owned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

circadian wrote: »
    I'm actually a big Sega fan boy, even had the crazy Mega Drive add ons. Absolutely love the Dreamcast and still play it from time to time.
    The Saturn just didn't do it for me.

The simple answer is you just havent played enough saturn games.

Have you played Panzer Dragoon Saga for example? It is by far one of the greatest games ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sonic 3D?
    Try Sonic R mate!
    An acquired taste to be sure, but when you get good at it... ok, it's still not the greatest, but it's a lot better than Sonic 3D!
    The Saturn really is a good machine, probably no harm to go back to it someday, pick one up on Adverts.
    If it's still not your bag you'll easily sell it for the same money, lose nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone that says the Saturn is bad is just plain wrong. Either that or they never knew how to get import games... and they are still wrong :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone that says the Saturn is bad is just plain wrong. Either that or they never knew how to get import games... and they are still wrong :P

I have a decent selection of pal titles and it's still a decent machine. Now it's chipped I can play a load of import stuff and it's even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a decent selection of pal titles and it's still a decent machine. Now it's chipped I can play a load of import stuff and it's even better!

A chipped Saturn can't play imports you filthy pirate...4 in 1 cart/region free bios/region switch mod needed to do that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

EnterNow wrote: »
    A chipped Saturn can't play imports you filthy pirate...4 in 1 cart/region free bios/region switch mod needed to do that :p

It can with a boot disc if I'm not mistaken.

Achilles wrote: »
    It can with a boot disc if I'm not mistaken.

Ugh, boot discs

Ugh, boot discs

Yeah I know. Isn't there a multi region bios chip for the Saturn now much like the Dreamcast?

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/sega-saturn/sega-saturn-region-free-bios/

Achilles wrote: »
    Yeah I know. Isn't there a multi region bios chip for the Saturn now much like the Dreamcast?

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/sega-saturn/sega-saturn-region-free-bios/

Yep, I mentioned it above. I still think the 4-1 cart offers the best value, considering you get the extra ram too.

I don't know what you mean....
    SRP is a handy little patcher too, apparently....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yep, I mentioned it above. I still think the 4-1 cart offers the best value, considering you get the extra ram too.

Not too mention its a total pain to install... Keep it simple folks - install the 4-in-1 and never removed it :)

Keep it simple, stupid!

Master of the Universe

Not too mention its a total pain to install... Keep it simple folks - install the 4-in-1 and never removed it :)

Isnt the one down side that they can eventually damage the cart slot?

So ive heard anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you keep inserting a cartridge and taking it out then yeah it can. However with a 4 in 1 why the hell would you take it out?

If you keep inserting a cartridge and taking it out then yeah it can. However with a 4 in 1 why the hell would you take it out?

Wise words indeed

Master of the Universe

To marvel at its greatness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If I had ever owned a Dreamcast I'd have nominated it too.

Absolutely awful controller and most of the games released at retail here were PS1 ports.

If it wasn't for Capcom fighters, SoulCalibur and VF3:TB I'd have no interest in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

This thread is compromising my worldview.

Master of the Universe

Absolutely awful controller and most of the games released at retail here were PS1 ports.

Awful controller?! Madness! :pac: It's one of the nicest controllers of all time. D pad is especially lovely.

What PS1 ports are you talking about?
    If it wasn't for Capcom fighters, SoulCalibur and VF3:TB I'd have no interest in it at all.

Not into shmups no? The Dreamcast has an amazing shmup library.

It also has one of the nicest ever official sticks to go with said shmup library :)

The Dreamcast has far more to offer than just Capcom fighters.

• Advertisement

I've got a strong desire to close this thread, it's like some sort of Troll mecca, they all seem to want to visit.

It's funny how many people's opinions are ill informed because they just didn't play the damn games, just a handful and moved on.
    Saturn, DC, PS2, pure madness.
    The catalogue of great games on those three consoles alone could keep a gamer going for the next decade.
    And yet there is still some numpty who will chime in with "I played one in me mates and it was sh1te" or similar.

So, we'll let this thread run for another day or so, then close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've got a strong desire to close this thread, it's like some sort of Troll mecca, they all seem to want to visit.

It's funny how many people's opinions are ill informed because they just didn't play the damn games, just a handful and moved on.
    Saturn, DC, PS2, pure madness.
    The catalogue of great games on those three consoles alone could keep a gamer going for the next decade.
    And yet there is still some numpty who will chime in with "I played one in me mates and it was sh1te" or similar.

So, we'll let this thread run for another day or so, then close it.

The title of the thread is "Worst console you have ever owned?"
    I feel to support the kind of debate you are suggesting, the thread
    should be renamed "What is the Worst games console ever"
    therefore taking out the requirment of personal experiance and
    allow for a more broad conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

elfy4eva wrote: »

Yeah, my intention with this thread was mainly to get some good anecdotes from people who bought a poorly designed or supported machine and how the realisation dawned on them that it was such. If you go with a more definite discussion like that, you start getting bogged down in the quoting of statistics which makes for a much drier topic IMO.

I'd also nominate the PS3 for the first two years of its existence, if we're allowed consoles that later redeemed themselves. I had nothing for it for 2 years, except Resistance and my PS2 library. By the time I did finally get something PS3-y that interested me, the thing up and YLODed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'd also nominate the PS3 for the first two years of its existence, if we're allowed consoles that later redeemed themselves. I had nothing for it for 2 years, except Resistance and my PS2 library. By the time I did finally get something PS3-y that interested me, the thing up and YLODed.

An excellent choice that, the PS3 did have a miserable existence imo. Demon's Souls, Uncharted, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Journey (by general consenus as I've yet to play it) seem to be the stand out games. Motorstorm was a novelty that quickly wore off. The Last of Us seems to be a another good one but overall a waste of €600 or whatever it cost me. I'm afraid to turn mine on now (original 60GB bc version) in case it dies on me. So it would probably get my vote for the worst console I've owned so far.

Actually the only other machine I've spent less time playing is my GP2X 'Personal Entertainment Player'. Not sure if the latter counts as a games console though. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    An excellent choice that, the PS3 did have a miserable existence imo. Demon's Souls, Uncharted, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Journey (by general consenus as I've yet to play it) seem to be the stand out games. Motorstorm was a novelty that quickly wore off. The Last of Us seems to be a another good one but overall a waste of €600 or whatever it cost me. I'm afraid to turn mine on now (original 60GB bc version) in case it dies on me. So it would probably get my vote for the worst console I've owned so far.

I think it more than redeemed itself from 2010 onwards. PS+ seems to be a massive apology for its beleaguered first few years, and those PSN sales are nearly rivaling Steam in their 'ah go on, I don't mind eating pasta for a month'-ness.

I can empathize with the fear to turn it on, mind. I'm running a launch-model that has learned to stutter just enough to ensure I never quite fully relax when I sit down for an extended session.

elfy4eva wrote: »

But that in turn will have people expressing opinions on consoles they have never owned and so little experience with to form a cogent viewpoint.
    It's bad enough having folk piping up with such bull as the PS2 or DC being somehow lousy machines to own, when by any measure they were not.

The aforementioned notion that the DC was home to poor PS ports is simply, empirically wrong, it was host to a great many Naomi ports, most of which were brilliant, and that's not including the excellent catalogue of fighters and Shmups on the system.

But, such threads normally descend into anarchy anyhow,
    At least no one has been called names or likened to fascists yet.... but give it time....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Worst ever I've owned, by a galactic mile.

Unplayable games running at 2 fps on a less-than-barely visible screen with controls cut out of bakelite and about as responsive as blancmange.

Yep, it sucked donkey balls alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

If I had ever owned a Dreamcast I'd have nominated it too.

Wut? I know you guys thought I was on the troll about the Saturn, its just my opinion. I don't have memories of dumping hours into a game on it like I did with the PS1 at the same time.

Dreamcast however, I lost a summer to sonic adventure, god knows how long to Shenmue. I'm still playing JSR for goodness sake!

I can't fathom how anyone can't like the Dreamcast, I guess you feel the same way about the Saturn.

Advertisement