Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it seen as acceptable for women to hit men?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Deise Vu wrote: »
    So this girlfriend has cracked a pint glass in your brothers face, broken his nose,blackened his eyes, chipped his tooth and cut his head in various incidents. A girlfriend with presumably no children or house or financial dependancy involved?That makes two of us who cannot understand why one would stay in an unhealthy abusive relationship. There is absolutely no need for the quotation marks on the word 'bizarre'.

I know a victim of male domestic abuse. Every time he tried to make her an "ex" she threatened suicide, went missing to pretend she was doing this, left suicide notes for him, threatened to report him for abuse, used every manipulative trick in the book. I think she actually believed her own lies at the end. It took him years to be free, and the emotional toll on him took longer still to heal. No doubt she is out there making some other man's life hell. Yet to look at her, butter wouldnt melt. Even his friends found it hard to believe for a long time. So its really not that easy to spot. Like a frog in a pot gradually heating up. You dont notice until you are so far entrenched in the mess and cant see a way out.

Usually with domestic violence, the psychological, emotional and financial abuse is far more damaging than a physical injury because the injury is real. Its "proof" in other words, of abuse. With the non-physical its there are lies gaslighting, manipulating and eggshells that grounds the victim down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

leewarden wrote: »
    The op asked about women giving a groper a slap. That is not the same thing as women abusing men

So is it ok to whack a woman who assaults a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

feargale wrote: »
    So is it ok to whack a woman who assaults a man?

Not many men would risk hitting back at a woman who assaults him as if he hits too hard and knocks her out he could end up on assault charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

EireGreg wrote: »
    il properly get ripped for this but anyone that hits me can expect a slap back end of, this argument about not hitting a women is all well and good but any women/lady would not be throwing digs or punches or what ever you want to call it, them women you see pulling out of fellas on a Saturday night or any night properly need a good slap might knock some sense into them. I remember one night years ago when i was around 18 out with my g/f who i am still with today having a wonderful evening got approached by a couple of sewer rats long story short they all jumped on my g/f and i went through them all as if they were men and to be honest i am not ashamed or anything about that story told my parents friends workmates and not one person disagreed with me

fair play, women beating seems fine in your eyes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think you completely missed the point of his post and the thread in total. What is your opinion on the subject matter?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't hit a woman if she groped me in a night club, bit excessive, no?

If one was attacking me, Id restrain her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But EireGreg was talking about a case where his girlfriend was attacked by multiple girls. You could restrain one but have zero chance of restraining them all. What do you do then? Hold one and watch your girlfriend get beaten down? I don't think he even mentioned groping??

your original post was that I had missed;

"missed the point of his post and the thread in total"

I answered both queries you raised.

I don't think I would have gone through them like men;

"and i went through them all as if they were men and to be honest i am not ashamed or anything about that story told my parents"

Sounds very heavy handed imo, pity he didn't get charged for excessive force.

So what would you do? Restrain them all?

The thread is about the contradiction in society where it is seen as ok for a woman to hit a man regardless of size/strength/reason whereas for a man were to hit a woman for any reason is wrong. There have been arguments either way where some like yourself who say it is never appropriate to hit a girl even if your own girlfriend will suffer a beating for it whereas others have argued that if someone assaults you be they male or female then you have every right to defend yourself using whatever force you feel is necessary at the time.
    I am not speaking for EirGreg here as I don't know the full facts of the scenario he found himself but I do know that if my wife was being assaulted I would defend her in whatever manner I saw as most effective in limiting damage to her. That would be the quickest way I could find to put an end the assault. This sounds like what EirGreg is referring to so for you to say
    seems slightly unfair imho as I am sure he (again not speaking for him) does not, and I know I do not, endorse casual violence on anybody be they male or female.

his posts comes across like a bruce lee film. Im pretty confident restraining one or using minimum force would have stopped the fight. The way he described his actions just sounds too excessive imo

just have to agree to disagree on this one then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

his posts comes across like a bruce lee film. Im pretty confident restraining one or using minimum force would have stopped the fight. The way he described his actions just sounds too excessive imo

You have no idea how a fight on a street with multiple attackers tends to pan out. I've tried to stop a fight - as it happens it was all males - where a guy I knew was basically being stamped on by a circle of fukheads. I pulled two off, and went to push the others away from him and what happened? One of them simply came up behind me, pulled me down and then two of them started to give me boots to the head.

Are you so naieve to believe that a group that are of the mentality to randomly attack someone will simply "stop" because one of them has been restrained? Will they fvck ... they'll start on you too because a) you're involved, b) you've got one of their number "restrained", and c) in restraining one of them, you cannot do anything else - like defend yourself.

No amount of banal ;) responses will wish the reality away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

This comes to mind:
    What are little boys made of?
    What are little boys made of?
    Snips and snails ("frogs" is often used instead of snips)
    And puppy-dogs' tails,
    That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?
    What are little girls made of?
    Sugar and spice
    And everything nice,
    That's what little girls are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Im pretty confident restraining one or using minimum force would have stopped the fight.
    Because restraining one would have caused the others to follow their natural female instinct and passively stand down, having been shocked into submission by the physical prowess of an alpha-male...

Unless you believe that the same would apply if the attackers were all male, then essentially this is precisely the sort of sexist claptrap you've just proposed. And if you do believe that the same would apply if the attackers were all male, then essentially I would have to concur with Lemming's conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Myself and my brother have a close friend who has a new gf who I would describe as an acquaintance. She doesn't endear herself to me at all as all she seems to talk about are incidents of road rage, confrontations with colleagues, friends, family and so on. We all play pool pretty regularly with other friends these days and during the week they all met without me as I had an early start.

My brother and his oh reported back to me the next day that my mate gets a bit rat-arsed and is teasing his new gf. At one stage he pinched her clumsily (he's an absolute messer when he's drunk) and hurt her. By all accounts, she stood up and gave him three full-on "bone crunching" kicks into the legs before proceeding to bitch and moan about the pinching for the night.

This wasn't the first time she's been aggressive with us. I was furious about it as another time, I was trying to encourage her to come and play a game as it was her turn. I was giving her the 'ah go on, go on, go on' bit and took her by the arm. He grabbed my forearm with both hands and dug her nails into me. She didn't leave any marks but she gleefully made some remark wondering if she had drawn blood. I let it slide as no harm had been done but I was surprised and angry at her aggression.

All I'll say is she's lucky I wasn't there for the kicking incident. I was and am furious that she thinks that this is acceptable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

New (May 22) video from ManKind

Advertisement