Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it seen as acceptable for women to hit men?

Options

Comments

Neeson wrote: »
    This is true. Women want equality and they go and think they can whack who they want and think its acceptable.

Some, but very far from all women, might think hitting is acceptable. I don't, for example. I have never hit anyone, but I have pushed someone away in self-defence.

Hitting someone for fun, laughs and with no reason is wrong for either gender.

In the context of the thread the OP is alluding to, some women have been asssaulted by a groper and feel fighting back in that circumstance is acceptable self-defence. In my opinion, it depends on the circumstances. If I was cornered and being subjected to groping, I might slap in self defence.

Generalisations never work, and a sweeping statment that 'women think they can whack who they want' is offensive to the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Candie wrote: »
    Generalisations never work, and a sweeping statment that 'women think they can whack who they want' is offensive to the vast majority.

Yeah. It was harsh. I suppose I was saying it because of the amount of women who were trying to defend being violent toward men in their lounge.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That's a very good question and I know the poster replied saying they would resolve the problem without violence. And that's great.

But it's a good question because posters on here should admit, that if a MAN groped another MAN a lot of guys would have no problem with the victim turning around and punching him in the face. This would be seen as 'normal' almost. Yet if it was a woman who groped him, he wouldn't resort to violence. That in itself is a double standard.

But that's slightly off topic - I do think unfortunately it's seen as more acceptable for women to hit men than vice versa. But I also think it's more acceptable for men to hit men.

I actually don't think it'd be acceptable. As I said, perhaps it would be understandable, but I don't think 2 wrongs make a right. That goes for everyone, whether they have a penis or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tsiehta

Even though two wrongs don't make a right, I don't really have a huge amount of sympathy for guys getting hit (assuming reasonably low force) by women they've groped. I'd feel the same way with the genders reversed. At the same time, I don't exactly think it's positive or some sort of great privilege to be able to do so. Maybe due to hangovers from the past, it might be viewed unacceptable for a man to hit a woman in this situation, and not the other way round, but tbh, we should be working towards not groping or hitting each other at all, not bickering about double standards in the social acceptability of net negative behaviours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've been slapped full force across the face by a girl in a bar when I was in college.

We were in a group having a bit of banter and I made a joke about a guy she liked and who was a good mate of mine being off with some other women which he was and was actually a well known fact.

She was sleeping with him but he was sleeping all around him, she knew it as did everyone else in the group as it was common knowledge and he openly admitted it.

Anyway she for some reason took offence even though the comment was not aimed at her and decided to walk over to me and hit me full force across the face with her open hand.. Needless to say I was completely shocked as was everyone else in the group. After a second of two it took me to regain my senses, I calmly picked up a full pint of beer I was drinking and dumped it straight over her head, put down the glass and walked out of the place.

Apparently, everyone in the group turned on her and gave her unbelievable abuse for what she done as she was 100% wrong as nothing I said was aimed at her and the guy I aimed the joke at laughed at it the next day when it was said to him. He thought it was very funny up until I told him what the girl did to me..

Even after she slapped me, the thought of hitting her back never even popped into my head.

Do I think its ok for a girl to hit a guy? No..

The only reason is if she is defending herself, apart from that, there is absolutely no excuse..

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Was groped once by a guy, returned compliment with a Glasgow kiss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭con___manx1

leewarden wrote: »
    I have seen women ask men to stop the groping and the men laughin about it. Groping is assault and women are more vulnérable to this and threatened by it.

that's true but men can be groped too. i have been groped at least half a dozen occasions by awl ones mostly. they get some sort of thrill out of groping young lads i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

General belief I suppose is women cant defend themselves against a stronger bloke. Bloke can defend himself against a woman. But guaranteed if a weedy small guy was being attacked by his bigger girlfriend and he fought back....who would look bad and be seen as the abuser? End of the day, nobody should hit their partner anyway. The video on the first page was quite interesting. Most of the women who passed by and some even celebrated the girl hitting the bloke said they just presumed he had cheated on her. So if a girl cheats on a bloke its ok for him to hit her also?? Tis a crazy world! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

il properly get ripped for this but anyone that hits me can expect a slap back end of, this argument about not hitting a women is all well and good but any women/lady would not be throwing digs or punches or what ever you want to call it, them women you see pulling out of fellas on a Saturday night or any night properly need a good slap might knock some sense into them. I remember one night years ago when i was around 18 out with my g/f who i am still with today having a wonderful evening got approached by a couple of sewer rats long story short they all jumped on my g/f and i went through them all as if they were men and to be honest i am not ashamed or anything about that story told my parents friends workmates and not one person disagreed with me

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

A friend of mine was with a girl for years and during a party they had a small arguement,it turned very nasty very quickly but we all stayed out of it cos it was over something small and stupid and we thought it would blow over.
    anyway my friend got up to walk away,she got up and followed him into the hall,stopped him in his tracks,started punching him and raked her nails across his face before she was pulled away from him.leaving him with a nasty gash across his cheek,he never lifted a finger to defend himself.
    how he kept calm during this and didnt hit back i'll never know,i guess its all down to the individual and the way you were brought up.
    ps.
    he left her soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Even in film and television we see it as well, e.g a scenario where a woman finds out her partner has cheated or something and she gives him a slap across the face.

No way that would be included in the storyline if the sexes were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Even in film and television we see it as well, e.g a scenario where a woman finds out her partner has cheated or something and she gives him a slap across the face.

No way that would be included in the storyline if the sexes were reversed.

If it were we would have those womens rights groups out on the streets causing havoc and trying to take away our mens mags because they portray women as objects!

off topic: however, i would never hit a woman OR man unless it was self defense or in protection of loved ones.
    I once worked in a bar in town where a bloke hit his missus, i vaulted over the bar and dragged him off her....i had him pinned on the ground waiting for security, and she decided in all her wisdom to attack me while i had him pinned down.

Women can be strange aul beings NOT all of them are but if a domestic occurs never get involved thats what i say. Anyone that finds it acceptable to strike another human (outside of sports and what i mentioned before) be it a man or a woman should be ashamed of themselves. I find some women use the "Im a woman he wont hit me mentality to their advantage"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

This is true. Women want equality and they go and think they can whack who they want and think its acceptable.

as per the charter, leave out the lazy generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

So if a woman went up and pinched your bum or grabbed your crotch, a man is well within his rights to turn around and lamp her in the chops? Double standards!

A woman done this to me a few weeks ago in copper face jacks. I was walking towards the bar it was a bit well packed and she grabbed my crotch and winked while slipping her tongue around, so i said feck this and asked her what she was at and she said i like big balled men, but i told her i have small balls not worthy of her hand and she slapped me in the face which left a nail scrape on my left cheek.

I just told her that she was a Neanderthal and a dirty bitch and then she boxed me in the balls, pulled my hair and grabbed my ass with a pinch like a shark bite, she must have had big finger-nails.

So off i went to the bar hiding from said nutball woman and ordered a double JD with a pinch of coke and lemon and there she was again on the far side of the bar licking her fingers and looking at me as if she wanted to rip me to bits, so i had no choice but to seek professional help from the security bouncers but as i got them involved one of the bouncers said to me that he would kick my balls in if i talked to that nutball woman again as it turns out she was the security guys girlfriend.

There i was scratching my balls in pain after all this and not only did i have this lunatic woman that grabbed my balls looking at me licking her fingers, i had her big Neanderthal boyfriend security guard piking me out of it as well so off i went to the cigarette machine and bought a pack and left while i was being stalked by both space-cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

But it's a good question because posters on here should admit, that if a MAN groped another MAN a lot of guys would have no problem with the victim turning around and punching him in the face. This would be seen as 'normal' almost. Yet if it was a woman who groped him, he wouldn't resort to violence. That in itself is a double standard.

True, violence against men is seen as more acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

zenno wrote: »
    A woman done this to me a few weeks ago in copper face jacks. I was walking towards the bar it was a bit well packed and she grabbed my crotch and winked while slipping her tongue around, so i said feck this and asked her what she was at and she said i like big balled men, but i told her i have small balls not worthy of her hand and she slapped me in the face which left a nail scrape on my left cheek.

I just told her that she was a Neanderthal and a dirty bitch and then she boxed me in the balls, pulled my hair and grabbed my ass with a pinch like a shark bite, she must have had big finger-nails.

So off i went to the bar hiding from said nutball woman and ordered a double JD with a pinch of coke and lemon and there she was again on the far side of the bar licking her fingers and looking at me as if she wanted to rip me to bits, so i had no choice but to seek professional help from the security bouncers but as i got them involved one of the bouncers said to me that he would kick my balls in if i talked to that nutball woman again as it turns out she was the security guys girlfriend.

There i was scratching my balls in pain after all this and not only did i have this lunatic woman that grabbed my balls looking at me licking her fingers, i had her big Neanderthal boyfriend security guard piking me out of it as well so off i went to the cigarette machine and bought a pack and left while i was being stalked by both space-cakes.

They're made for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    True, violence against men is seen as more acceptable.

Violence from men is also seen as more acceptable.

No matter what happens with women or vice versa men, there is always enough space to walk away. But if you are in a relationship and a woman/man hits you, then just leave and never go back. (sorry is only a timesave)

It is not acceptable for either to hit each other, the day this happens then just disconnect and move on with your life.

Real women of intelligence would only hit a man if it is absolutely necessary, a man should leave immediately and take a few breaths and focus then come back later if all is cool and re-bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Violence from men is also seen as more acceptable.

As long as its towards other men. Tbh, I was being a little bit snarky in my first reply:P

It's one of those examples of sexism towards both men and women being tied up together. On the one hand you have the sexist part that says women cannot defend themselves, on the other you have the backhand that says men cannot defend themselves, as women are supposedly not a threat. There's also chivalry/chauvinism, stereotypes, so on so forth.
    Real women of intelligence would only hit a man if it is absolutely necessary, a man should leave immediately and take a few breaths and focus then come back later if all is cool and re-bond.

In my opinion, the only times necessary for a woman to hit a man would be a situation where the woman would not want the man to come back and re-bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here, let me get you a bigger brush.

On topic, it seems to be more common with the assertion that when a woman gropes a man he should feel honoured somehow. I've be groped a couple times and did nothing except express my displeasure and walk off.
    But I'm sure that if it happened every time I went to a club I'd start slapping the women after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I've found the best response from a guy to getting groped by a woman or a man is simply saying "b1tch please" and walking away.... they think you are gay/not interested.

havent been groped by a stranger in years - happily in a relationship with my soon-to-be wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Rubbish. :rolleyes: You don't really believe that, do you???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Rubbish. :rolleyes: You don't really believe that, do you???

MOD: He's already been pulled up on that, no need to revisit it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

hefferboi wrote: »
    If a woman hit me I'd be fairly livid but I wouldn't be able to hit her back. I was brought up never to hit a girl. Still though, I despise women who think they can do what they want to lads because, more often than not they'll get away with it. They're scumbags.

So what about if a "woman" was to hit you twice, 3 times, 4 times - would just stand there and take it because she is a woman ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

100% yes. A bloke hitting a women is seen as the end of the world whilst a woman hitting a bloke is accepted. Ditto for sexual contact etc. One woman I worked with was frequently hugging and slapping the male members of staff on the back side. Management thought nothing of it. I queried it one day and was told that "Ah, sure that is X for you. She's just like that". If it was a bloke, he would have been fired or in receipt of a written warning.

On hitting men, one of my best mates from university had a horrible story. The lad was seriously stuck for cash, so he took up a part time bouncing job in the city centre. On his 3rd night, he was herding the last of the punters out of the bar, when one tramp (female) turned and slapped him full force in the face. He quickly went to grab a hold of her and as he did she shouted "You lay as much as a finger on me and I will f*in scream rape". He was warned about not grabbing hold in this instance, so he called the other bouncer for backup. Unfortunately, the offender ran out the door and away. Turned out that she knew exactly the place in the bar to hit him because there was no security camera focused on the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

COYW wrote: »
    100% yes. A bloke hitting a women is seen as the end of the world whilst a woman hitting a bloke is accepted. Ditto for sexual contact etc. One woman I worked with was frequently hugging and slapping the male members of staff on the back side. Management thought nothing of it. I queried it one day and was told that "Ah, sure that is X for you. She's just like that". If it was a bloke, he would have been fired or in receipt of a written warning.

On hitting men, one of my best mates from university had a horrible story. The lad was seriously stuck for cash, so he took up a part time bouncing job in the city centre. On his 3rd night, he was herding the last of the punters out of the bar, when one tramp (female) turned and slapped him full force in the face. He quickly went to grab a hold of her and as he did she shouted "You lay as much as a finger on me and I will f*in scream rape". He was warned about not grabbing hold in this instance, so he called the other bouncer for backup. Unfortunately, the offender ran out the door and away. Turned out that she knew exactly the place in the bar to hit him because there was no security camera focused on the area.

What a Cnut - and before smart replies, I mean the woman

COYW wrote: »
    A bloke hitting a women is seen as the end of the world whilst a woman hitting a bloke is accepted.

I don't get this comment... it's not like you are hand-cuffed together in a tiny space ? just walk away and leave, how hard can it be.

Why stay in the area if you are being assaulted by either a man or woman. The first thing i would do if a crazy woman attacked me is walk off or drive off, what's all this junk talk of whilst a woman hitting a bloke is accepted ? this shouldn't be accepted and the reason why i said walk away Slan, goodbye, i'm off, catch ye later, why stay around a problem when you can leave a problem ?

Nonsensical excuses here with some people as if they use the comment that i'll hit her back or i'll hit him back, just piss-off and let each other cool down instead of manufacturing another slap on the face.

Don't get me started on marriage situations as the kids are the one's that lose out in this situation with bickering adult Neanderthals.

Get up there men & women and enjoy the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I do think it's seen as more acceptable for a woman to hit a man, which is wrong. It's like somebody pointed out, in films and on tv, the man cheats, the woman finds out and belts him across the face. If the gender roles were reversed, there'd be thousands of complaints made about it.

If somebody gropes me in a club, I step away and tell them to 'fcuk off.' If they do it again, I'll go get a bouncer. If I can't get away from them to get to the bouncer, then yeah, they'll get a full force knee to the balls. I don't like the idea of having to do it, and I've only ever had to do it once, but if I can't get away from somebody who is essentially assaulting me, I will physically hurt them if I feel I have no other option. It's seriously a last resort, though.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I do think it's seen as more acceptable for a woman to hit a man, which is wrong. It's like somebody pointed out, in films and on tv, the man cheats, the woman finds out and belts him across the face. If the gender roles were reversed, there'd be thousands of complaints made about it.

If somebody gropes me in a club, I step away and tell them to 'fcuk off.' If they do it again, I'll go get a bouncer. If I can't get away from them to get to the bouncer, then yeah, they'll get a full force knee to the balls. I don't like the idea of having to do it, and I've only ever had to do it once, but if I can't get away from somebody who is essentially assaulting me, I will physically hurt them if I feel I have no other option. It's seriously a last resort, though.

But a bloke/man getting hit or grabbed in the crotch by a woman, common, just walk away, walk away, walk away.

FIN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

zenno wrote: »
    But a bloke/man getting hit by a woman, common, just walk away, walk away, walk away.

FIN

If a man hits me, I'd walk away, unless I physically could not get away from him, in which case I'd use my years of martial arts training and floor him.

If a woman hits a man, I believe the man should also walk away. However, if the man physically cannot get away, I'd fully expect him to hit her back in self defence.

Violence as a retaliation to violence should always be the very last resort, the thing you do when you physically cannot get away from the perpetrator, for both men and women.

Advertisement