Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it seen as acceptable for women to hit men?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭

I've been following a thread elsewhere on the site about groping and some of the women who have been victims of this were saying they would hit the guy that did it.

Now over here looking at it from a male point of view I have been groped in a nightclub but I have to say that there is no way would I hit the woman that did it, and if I did I would be up on assault charges.

I just get the feeling that it is not taken as seriously when a woman slaps a man in public compared to vice versa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I've been following a thread elsewhere on the site about groping and some of the women who have been victims of this were saying they would hit the guy that did it.

Now over here looking at it from a male point of view I have been groped in a nightclub but I have to say that there is no way would I hit the woman that did it, and if I did I would be up on assault charges.

I just get the feeling that it is not taken as seriously when a woman slaps a man in public compared to vice versa.

This is true. Women want equality and they go and think they can whack who they want and think its acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭leewarden

Neeson wrote: »
    This is true. Women want equality and they go and think they can whack who they want and think its acceptable.

Fair point. Maybe the woman should just put up with the groping. That would make us all equal.

leewarden wrote: »
    Fair point. Maybe the woman should just put up with the groping. That would make us all equal.

There's a right way to go about sorting it out. Don't fight back with violence and think you're not responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have seen women full on punch men for no particular reason and say Im a women so dont you dare hit me back. I have seen women beating their boyfriends and gardas staring and choosing to do nothing about it. But im pretty sure they would be quick to act if it was the other way around.

http://www.amen.ie/articles/corry.pdf

This hypothesis( educated guess based on observations)
    Say 25-30% of domestic violence is women on man and women are than 3 times likely to use a weapon on a man. Than a man on a women

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

If a woman hit me I'd be fairly livid but I wouldn't be able to hit her back. I was brought up never to hit a girl. Still though, I despise women who think they can do what they want to lads because, more often than not they'll get away with it. They're scumbags.

• Advertisement

Neeson wrote: »
    There's a right way to go about sorting it out. Don't fight back with violence and think you're not responsible.

I have seen women ask men to stop the groping and the men laughin about it. Groping is assault and women are more vulnérable to this and threatened by it.

leewarden wrote: »
    I have seen women ask men to stop the groping and the men laughin about it. Groping is assault and women are more vulnérable to this and threatened by it.

Yes. But you can't go about battering each other either. There must be another way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

You're spot on OP.

If a woman smacks a bloke it's seen as a great laugh and entertainment for those watching on.But if a bloke were to do this he'd be arrested and charged with assault and possibly do time in prison and not to mention labeled every name under the sun.

It's called double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Also, when I was in school (2 years ago), there were regular fights at lunch/after school. I'd say 80% were girl fights and they were as vicious as you'd ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Festy wrote: »
    It's called double standards.
    Actually, I believe it's called Positive Discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The topic reminded me of this video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

hefferboi wrote: »
    If a woman hit me I'd be fairly livid but I wouldn't be able to hit her back. I was brought up never to hit a girl. Still though, I despise women who think they can do what they want to lads because, more often than not they'll get away with it. They're scumbags.

I'd never touch a hair on a woman's head not unless she gave me some belt.

If a woman is well able to throw a slap she's well able to take one,that's how I see it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's never okay for ANYONE to hit someone. Some women are just as vicious if not more so than men when it comes to fighting and then how dare the male stand up for himself. I am not a fighter, never been one for throwing slaps but if some girl hit my brother/male friend/boyfriend I would be dug out of her.

The op asked about women giving a groper a slap. That is not the same thing as women abusing men

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's not ok for anyone to hit anyone unless, for example, a life is threatened.

I'm amazed how many people don't seem to get that.

Tend to be the "all men are bastards/women can't drive" crowd who do in general, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I wouldn't hit a bloke never mind a woman.

Having said that, I don't put myself in the position to have to make that decision ie I don't get involved with argy bargy when Im out and I dont grope women with the exception of my girlfriend, but she is usually ok with that.

:pac:

For the most part though, there is an acceptability for women to strike men in "self defence" than if the genders were reversed, its just the way things are and tbh I dont think it will change in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's not ok for anyone to hit anyone unless, for example, a life is threatened.

I'm amazed how many people don't seem to get that.

Tend to be the "all men are bastards/women can't drive" crowd who do in general, I find.

How would you react if a bigger, stronger man aggressively groped your junk?

fits wrote: »

So if a woman went up and pinched your bum or grabbed your crotch, a man is well within his rights to turn around and lamp her in the chops? Double standards!

So if a woman went up and pinched your bum or grabbed your crotch, a man is well within his rights to turn around and lamp her in the chops? Double standards!

I never said that. I asked a question.

What would YOU do, if a bigger stronger strange man grabbed your junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lads, if we quit the groping and hitting, and the ladies quit the groping and hitting, everybody would be happier. I really don't think you can equate the two. Nice people don't do either. Ar5eholes will always find a way to be ar5eholes though...

• Advertisement

I would tell them to stop.

In fact, it's happened and I did. Resolved without violence but a very embarrassed dickhead.

I would and have, told them to eff off and keep their hands to themselves. Now if they kept it up, I could see why they'd get a slap, as once you've told them to stop and they keep assaulting you, you should be able to defend yourself. This crack of turning around and upending someone is out of line, in my opinion of course.

In fact, it's happened and I did. Resolved without violence but a very embarrassed dickhead.

Thats good. I have never hit out at anyone either and I have been groped countless times. I didn't challenge the gropers when I was younger though, and I am not proud of that.

I am just a bit concerned that some posters here don't see groping for what it is. It is assault. Some times are more serious than others but it is assault. And when people are assaulted and threatened, sometimes they don't know how they will react to it. Some times, reaction in a physical manner could be seen as self defence.

Thats good. I have never hit out at anyone either and I have been groped countless times. I didn't challenge the gropers when I was younger though, and I am not proud of that.

I am just a bit concerned that some posters here don't see groping for what it is. It is assault. Some times are more serious than others but it is assault. And when people are assaulted, sometimes they don't know how they will react to it.

Yes, I completely agree. However, you don't get carte blanche in our society when you are wronged to do what you please.

If someone reacts badly and smacks the person, do I judge them? No, I don't think I would. Do I think that is the same thing as it being ok? No, I don't. Our rule of law is not eye for an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Genuine question :
    what would you do if they didn't stop/did it again straight away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

gctest50 wrote: »
    Genuine question :
    Wedgie.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Genuine question :

I'm not sure, although you're really into sexual assault as opposed to a groping there.

The original post is what has happened to me, in that you're in a pub or club and someone has a quick grope.

In my case it was someone who was a bisexual man, a good few years ago. I'm straight and the attention was 100% unwelcome.

In my case it was someone who was a bisexual man, a good few years ago. I'm straight and the attention was 100% unwelcome.

your orientation shouldn't make a difference.

your orientation shouldn't make a difference.

Was just pointing out that he knew damn well I wouldn't reciprocate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

That's a very good question and I know the poster replied saying they would resolve the problem without violence. And that's great.

But it's a good question because posters on here should admit, that if a MAN groped another MAN a lot of guys would have no problem with the victim turning around and punching him in the face. This would be seen as 'normal' almost. Yet if it was a woman who groped him, he wouldn't resort to violence. That in itself is a double standard.

But that's slightly off topic - I do think unfortunately it's seen as more acceptable for women to hit men than vice versa. But I also think it's more acceptable for men to hit men.

Advertisement