Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Anyone Else Worried?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

we have two other OL maths classes in my school and it was the same story with them as well :D

If one thing comes about this - it shows that the "well educated workforce" the government like to promote Ireland as having is a total myth. I remember talking to one person working in the science industry who stated that the standard of Math and science Irish secondary school students have is shocking as well - being lower of that of our European peers.

I wonder where it all went wrong? Ireland has a good history of scientists and mathematicians in the 1800's - early 1900's period!

Perhaps I should concentrate on my own Leaving cert first though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

they surely cant fail us all? people who did pass for the jc in my school all failed pass maths in the mocks..only the jc honours passed cause they have it done..and to top it off WE ARE ONE OUT OF 24 SCHOOLS TAKING ALL 5 STRANDS.. eg PILOT SCHOOL ughhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Are people serious about nearly everyone failing? :o We have 2 higher level maths classes in my school and I think only about 5 or 6 people failed overall. (Out of about 48ish people) And we had another maths paper 2 mock about two weeks ago and nobody failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

woopah92 wrote: »
    Are people serious about nearly everyone failing? :o We have 2 higher level maths classes in my school and I think only about 5 or 6 people failed overall. (Out of about 48ish people) And we had another maths paper 2 mock about two weeks ago and nobody failed.
    well youre obv gonna be in honours if youre good not sh1t..people are in pass for a reason:L

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

Got 43% in the mocks in HL and oh my god it was the happiest day of my life when my teacher gave back the results hahaha
    Gonna admit it, I'm just one of them people looking to scrape a pass for those beautiful 25 extra points!
    D3 is all I want... PLEASE GOD, PLEASE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Yeah, a lot of people failed in my school's pass class as well.

Could anyone give me a list of the stuff that can be "learned off" for HL maths (theorems etc...). Thanks, in advance.

Theorems 11, 12 and 13, you need to know the rest and be able to apply them.

Constructions 1-22

some definitions ie. and axiom, corollary, proof by contradiction

Statistical terms ie. what is a z-score? (came up on my mock), you need to know about sampling as well various other bits a piecies. Treat the statistics chaper like a science chapter.

Proofs of the addition rule, product rule, quotient rule and differentiation rule

Think thats it, but i may have forgotten something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

shawnanana wrote: »
    Got 43% in the mocks in HL and oh my god it was the happiest day of my life when my teacher gave back the results hahaha
    Gonna admit it, I'm just one of them people looking to scrape a pass for those beautiful 25 extra points!

I'm the exact same! I just want those 25 points!! Except I failed my mock :( what are you doing to prepare for it? I'm actually so scared for it omg

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Theorems 11, 12 and 13, you need to know the rest and be able to apply them.

Constructions 1-22

some definitions ie. and axiom, corollary, proof by contradiction

Statistical terms ie. what is a z-score? (came up on my mock), you need to know about sampling as well various other bits a piecies. Treat the statistics chaper like a science chapter.

Proofs of the addition rule, product rule, quotient rule and differentiation rule

Think thats it, but i may have forgotten something

Proof of DeMoivre's theorem. Proof of sin rule and cosine rule.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Luize wrote: »
    I'm the exact same! I just want those 25 points!! Except I failed my mock :( what are you doing to prepare for it? I'm actually so scared for it omg

Can I join your club? I try focus on the questions then on the marking scheme jsut to really identify what Im to do.. Coz I can normally(well sometimes) do the actual maths once I know whats wanted, which is obvz the hardest part.
    Most of the time though I just rock in foetal position wondering what am I doing with my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

deise_girl wrote: »
    Can I join your club? I try focus on the questions then on the marking scheme jsut to really identify what Im to do.. Coz I can normally(well sometimes) do the actual maths once I know whats wanted, which is obvz the hardest part.
    Most of the time though I just rock in foetal position wondering what am I doing with my life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnd36bIV0o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

What in earth do you be watching on YouTube! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

It's probably one of the greatest movies ever made dude but alright!

deise_girl wrote: »

Yeah same, I'm not really bothered about the marking scheme. My teacher said if you get low partial credit in every single question, you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Was 2012 Paper 1 phase 3 and easy paper?

I've been totally avoiding it the last few days trying to cram for English and home ec..bad idea seen as there is a big chance in me failing! But i think Thursday night Im just gonna concentrate on paper 1 totally, not even look at any paper 2 stuff! Just do as many exam paper questions as i can and do a lot of praying!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I've been totally avoiding it the last few days trying to cram for English and home ec..bad idea seen as there is a big chance in me failing! But i think Thursday night Im just gonna concentrate on paper 1 totally, not even look at any paper 2 stuff! Just do as many exam paper questions as i can and do a lot of praying!

paper 1 you know it or you don't one night of study won't help, I'd highly suggest paper 2. Your big problem is likely your sleeping pattern if your still up at this time. I got 35% in paper one in my mocks and 95% in paper 2 (this was 5 years ago in 2k7) but if you got more than 30% in your mocks you should be fine. If you cruise through paper 1 and can do most of paper 2 you will do fine.

Oh my god same! Yeah same I'm just gonna dedicate the entire day Thursday and most of the weekend to maths and do all the exam papers! :P at least I'm not the only one up at an ungodly hour haha

Oh my god same! Yeah same I'm just gonna dedicate the entire day Thursday and most of the weekend to maths and do all the exam papers! :P at least I'm not the only one up at an ungodly hour haha

Yeah usually i wouldn't be up at that hour but i literally could not sleep at all (very unlike me!) Must be getting very nervous :/

Advertisement