Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Anyone Else Worried?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

They are so unclear with what they want half the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GeminiBaby

It's not that bad... Know ur formulas and ud be ok! And don't feel sorry for the hl, They do hl because they find maths somewhat easy, so be grand xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

I got 37% in the mocks (higher level) and I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown cause if I don't pass it I can basically say goodbye to any hope of me getting into college.

Anyone have any predictions regarding whether it'll be crazy hard like last year or will they make it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Luize wrote: »
    I got 37% in the mocks (higher level) and I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown cause if I don't pass it I can basically say goodbye to any hope of me getting into college.

Anyone have any predictions regarding whether it'll be crazy hard like last year or will they make it easier?

I got 37% in the mocks as well, Passing maths is going to be the difference between me going to college and repeating

I got 37% in the mocks as well, Passing maths is going to be the difference between me going to college and repeating

Same. It's ridiculous like. What are you doing to prepare? Like I'm just frantically answering all the exam paper questions hoping some of it will stick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

You got and girls got better than me I got 15% god damn it.

Weird how more ordinary level students are failing than higher level students. The failure rate for ordinary level last year was like 11% and for higher only 2.5% . How??

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Weird how more ordinary level students are failing than higher level students. The failure rate for ordinary level last year was like 11% and for higher only 2.5% . How??

The departments attempt at making project maths seem like the best thing ever!

The departments attempt at making project maths seem like the best thing ever!

It's the stupidest thing ever. I don't understand it and I never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

It's the stupidest thing ever. I don't understand it and I never will.

What exactly is the problem with Project Maths if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

I can't wait for this exam to be quite fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I think it is brilliant! Can actually see maths in action better than the old course for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

fishmahboi wrote: »

The problem really is, people just hate maths.
    Because they proposed this new 'sexy' method of maths, people feel as though they should see better results, maths is maths and I'd go as far to say these people failing ordinary maths ''because of project maths'' would equally be failing any other maths curriculum devised or conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

fishmahboi wrote: »

The problem I find with it is that we were given the old course for jc and were expected to adapt to a whole new way of doing maths in two years!

The problem I find with it is that we were given the old course for jc and were expected to adapt to a whole new way of doing maths in two years!

Exactly! :P I was fairly good at maths, managed a B in Junior Cert and now.. I can barely pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi guys just want to spread some hope if i can , i was never good at maths i did ordinary level for junior cert and leaving cert ordinary level got even worse , i failed class tests, i nearly failed the mock.I didn't practise alot and took the maths paper last year and i got a C2, maybe thats not great for some people here but for others who are afraid of failing ,you will probably do better than you think!

I think they should have left ordinary maths as it was, the old course and only changed higher level because while making maths more appealing is intiguing for those who enjoy it and are good at it, pass pupils will never appreciate the beauty of maths and will hence be better suited to the old course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I think they should have left ordinary maths as it was, the old course and only changed higher level because while making maths more appealing is intiguing for those who enjoy it and are good at it, pass pupils will never appreciate the beauty of maths and will hence be better suited to the old course.

The aim is to increase appreciation of Maths though. People who do HL generally enjoy maths to a certain degree already, so only changing the course for them would defeat the purpose of Project Maths.

Prodigious wrote: »
    The aim is to increase appreciation of Maths though. People who do HL generally enjoy maths to a certain degree already, so only changing the course for them would defeat the purpose of Project Maths.

I disagree. The old course wasn't very applicable for those who enjoy maths. This new course is a ot more inspiring. Personally, the question 5's and 6's on paper 1 are the reason I am considering studying maths next year! I find them fascinating.

I just don't think ordinary students are prepared to appreciate it like this because if they did, they would likely be in HL, in my opinion anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Anyone else think they should break up maths like they do with science and business from the JC? Would make it much more appealing and doable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

fontdor wrote: »
    I am so pissed literally. I just don't get this whole project math's thing seriously. And it is vital since if you don't pass it you fail your whole LC. All I can say is I wish it never existed.

Anyone else here worried? And I'm at ordinary level I feel so bad for the HL students here.

I'm very worried about the exam. Although i love maths, the new course is very difficult. I'm an A1 maths student, got 97% in my mocks, 100% in xmas, and even I am very anxious about the exam. I'll be very disappointed if i dont get the A1 but with having done the SEC sample papers, I wouldn't be suprised if i ended up getting the A2

David086 wrote: »
    Anyone else think they should break up maths like they do with science and business from the JC? Would make it much more appealing and doable!

Yeah definitely, or at least put options in the current course! It is so broad it is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Undeadfred wrote: »
    I'm very worried about the exam. Although i love maths, the new course is very difficult. I'm an A1 maths student, got 97% in my mocks, 100% in xmas, and even I am very anxious about the exam. I'll be very disappointed if i dont get the A1 but with having done the SEC sample papers, I wouldn't be suprised if i ended up getting the A2

only an a2? God you're a disgrace if you only get an a2 haha hang your head in shame

I'm praying for 40% :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

I disagree. The old course wasn't very applicable for those who enjoy maths. This new course is a ot more inspiring. Personally, the question 5's and 6's on paper 1 are the reason I am considering studying maths next year! I find them fascinating.

I just don't think ordinary students are prepared to appreciate it like this because if they did, they would likely be in HL, in my opinion anyway!
    I study maths in TCD and those question 5 and 6 are nothing like what you will be doing in college. They are quite straightforward.

Bionicle wrote: »
    I study maths in TCD and those question 5 and 6 are nothing like what you will be doing in college. They are quite straightforward.

Oh right, cheers for the heads up! I'll do arts so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

To be honest I feel much more sorry for Ordinary Level students, like if any higher level student gets cold feet at the last minute they can drop down to ordinary but if somebody in ordinary gets cold feet foundation isn't really an option if you want to go to University, I know a load of people like that who're getting good marks in other subjects but just cannot pass ordinary level maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Oh right, cheers for the heads up! I'll do arts so...
    No need for the sarcasm. I was just giving you an insight into college maths. It's nothing like q5 and q6 of a leaving exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

College Maths is mad craic altogether! Fourier transforms and spherical polar coordinates...NOM....The cartesian plane is so 17th Century. Sorry René, it's just gonna take far to long to solve for the hydrogen atom with your way mate. Chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

Wow calm yourself, you are literally going to be given marks for writing anything down on the paper. So if you make an in any way half-decent attempt at the paper, you're going to - at the very least - pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

i failed the mocks (ordinary level) ive been going through the papers and there is literally nothing im able to do SOMEBODY HELP how am i gonna learn things in like a week? !! i just want 40% and i'l be happy!

Advertisement