Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Anyone Else Worried?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

chikatita wrote: »
    i failed the mocks (ordinary level) ive been going through the papers and there is literally nothing im able to do SOMEBODY HELP how am i gonna learn things in like a week? !! i just want 40% and i'l be happy!

Just keep checking the marking scheme after you try a question and try and learn the methods , keep practising! you will get attempt marks so give everything a try!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

i failed the mocks (ordinary level) ive been going through the papers and there is literally nothing im able to do SOMEBODY HELP how am i gonna learn things in like a week? !! i just want 40% and i'l be happy!

Maybe try going through your tables and familiarising yourself with the formulas you are given and know how to use them. If you have to right formula for the question you will make a good enough attempt at questions even if you don't know how to do them.

Don't panic yourself by looking through the papers and accepting you know nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

What is the secret to doing well in the maths? Would love a B/C :(

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

yournerd wrote: »

Know how to do every type of question

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Know how to do every type of question

You absolutely do not need to know the method for every question on the paper for a B or C. Even for the A you don't. Besides there will almost certainly be some awkward project maths type question (robot arm...) that most students can't get their head around so the marking scheme will be adjusted for such questions. To know how to do every single question on a Project Maths paper would be nothing short of a miracle!

• Advertisement

yournerd wrote: »

Just constantly doing the papers and learning the methods which can all be found online. You probably won't have time to do every single question between now and the exam so study Calculus really well as obviously thats guaranteed. Financial maths is highly likely to be on Paper 1 and complex numbers are in nearly all the sample papers so it should make an appearance.

Can't wait for this exam! B3 in the mock and our teacher set another 'mock' from the opposite mock company three weeks ago and I got a B1. Now if I can get that to an A2 I'd be happy!
    For the ordinary level, I'd focus on P2 if you're looking to pass. It's 50% of the marks and a lot of the questions can be answered with the formulae. Also bring up your calculus (only differentiation at OL I believe) mark! It's 1/6th of the paper!

You absolutely do not need to know the method for every question on the paper for a B or C. Even for the A you don't. Besides there will almost certainly be some awkward project maths type question (robot arm...) that most students can't get their head around so the marking scheme will be adjusted for such questions. To know how to do every single question on a Project Maths paper would be nothing short of a miracle!

Ok maybe not for an B or C. You do though for the A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

I just finished 5th year and find project maths much easier.
    1st and 2nd year i was failing.
    3rd year i was getting ds and low cs got a c in my JC
    4th year i didnt bat an eyelid at it.
    5th year high cs low bs and the odd D
    maths teacher said i did really well in my summer test. holding out for an A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Wow I mustn't be a psychopath because this actually made me smile man! So nice to hear someone improving like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

To be honest I feel much more sorry for Ordinary Level students, like if any higher level student gets cold feet at the last minute they can drop down to ordinary but if somebody in ordinary gets cold feet foundation isn't really an option if you want to go to University, I know a load of people like that who're getting good marks in other subjects but just cannot pass ordinary level maths!
    This is me! Im average to good at most things but keep failing maths..teacher asked me did I want to do foundation a few days aho..jadbfdkjdf BITCH PLEASE he almost got a fookin punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Here here..26% ..hang my head in shame.

Ok maybe not for an B or C. You do though for the A

As I've stated above not necessarily. My teacher had people last year getting As who couldn't do most of the robot arm question yet they still managed A2s and A1s respectively as the marking scheme is adjusted for such questions. So no, you don't need to know how to do every single question to get an A, just 85%+ of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The marks for the long questions are usually loaded to the front,

The part A for the Robot arm was worth 45/50 I think

Yes but the majority of marks went for the parts that most got correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

55/75 and the last bit where you drew the area the arm could occupy was another 10 marks but you were getting high attempt for very little!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

And that part A wasn't too bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

And that part A wasn't too bad either

Not at all, pure Pythagoras and use of Sin/Cosine. My maths teacher reckons they won't be able to put anything that bad onto the paper again she was horrified by it, but that there'll be some other twists obviously.

As I've stated above not necessarily. My teacher had people last year getting As who couldn't do most of the robot arm question yet they still managed A2s and A1s respectively as the marking scheme is adjusted for such questions. So no, you don't need to know how to do every single question to get an A, just 85%+ of the questions.

If you're going for the A1 like I am you can't rely on the marking scheme being changed

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Do you mind me asking are you from another planet or something? :P seriously an A?! What topics have ye covered? :)

I'm the opposite I love jc maths! :)

• Advertisement

If you're going for the A1 like I am you can't rely on the marking scheme being changed

If the questions are becoming less and less predictable and the methods less familiar then you can't be absolutely banking on an A1 either. This isn't a dig at your intelligence, you very well may get it and fair play if you do! But you can't be certain until you see the papers next week.

If the questions are becoming less and less predictable and the methods less familiar then you can't be absolutely banking on an A1 either. This isn't a dig at your intelligence, you very well may get it and fair play if you do! But you can't be certain until you see the papers next week.

That's exactly why I'm here. I'm worried about not getting the A1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Do you mind me asking are you from another planet or something? :P seriously an A?! What topics have ye covered? :)

I'm the opposite I love jc maths! :)

Every chapter from active maths 3 book 1.
    Have another book to do in 6th year.

Haha I just find it much easier. Most people in my class hasn't a clue. I was like that then it just clicked.

That's exactly why I'm here. I'm worried about not getting the A1.

Theres a bell curve, if you're better than 95% at maths, I think you should get it?

Theres a bell curve, if you're better than 95% at maths, I think you should get it?

This made no sense to me haha, ready for English?

This made no sense to me haha, ready for English?

Yeah pretty well prepared now, yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I was worried bout maths till I made de big decision to drop back to ol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I don't know if my maths class is a good representative of 6th year OL maths classes throughout the country - but the standard of maths is shocking. Only 4 students out of 22 managed to pass the mock exam - and that with one question of the paper being excluded (since we did not cover it yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Yeah, a lot of people failed in my school's pass class as well.

Could anyone give me a list of the stuff that can be "learned off" for HL maths (theorems etc...). Thanks, in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

23 Out of about 80 people only passed OL Maths in my school...

Advertisement