Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contaminated cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

MJ23 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will wipe out a few smelly greasy stoners.

Even joking about it killing "stoners" in a thread about two critically ill people is bad form. Don't choke on your dinner.:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The amount of hysteria over recreational drugs like ecstasy and cannabis is unreal; some of the opinions you hear being put forward at times are something out of a Brass Eye sketch. I've had people telling me blind that a certain batch of ecstasy pills contained heroin or that certain grass contains LSD. These stories are years old and complete and utter myth to boot.

1) Heroin is the most expensive drug in the world, why would you use it to pad out one of the cheapest (ecstasy)?
    2) You can't smoke LSD. Can't be done. Impossible. Even leaving the stuff in the open air for a day will degrade it. Never mind burning it. If you were to "dip" something in acid you would end up with a few thousand doses on it. It doesn't add up.

Any discrepancies in the quality of drugs comes solely down to the fact they are unregulated and illegal. If they were legal and regulated you: 1) ensure their quality and standardisation and 2) immediately disempower the criminal scum who trade in them.

Drugs are here in our society. They are easily available. They are not going away. It's time to acknowledge these facts and deal with them sensibly rather than getting hysterical about a "war on drugs" that just can't be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

My life was empty, forever on a down
    Until you took me, showed me around
    My life is free now, my life is clear
    I love you sweet leaf, though you can't hear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Ham Wallet

Cannabis is known to have been sprayed with silica at source as previously stated, which would almost look like glass upon appearance. When smoked the cannabis ash hardens, turns very black and won't keep alight. You can taste a bitter chemical taste upon chewing on a bud also. I've heard that crops have been sprayed with everything from embalming fluid to clear epoxy resin type sealer that they use to coat road signs as its light and clear in appearance. Whether this is true or not, it is very hard to know.

Its not the local neighbourhood dealers who are doing so its the growers at source. A lot of cannabis that is smoked in Ireland comes from overseas, apart from the recent rise in Asian run grow-houses set up around the country. It wouldn't be surprising to find that this happens at, for example, the Dutch grow houses that produce for export, or by the dealers that handle it at that stage of its journey before it reaches here. It comes sealed in vacuum packed bags (in large weight) like this. I don't think it happens locally.

Some of the comments on this thread are so ignorant and naive its gas. Dealers crushing glass in a pestle and mortar... pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Poitin 2.0
    If you know your history
    Then you would know where you coming from
    Then you wouldn't have to ask me
    Who the heck do I think I am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

FTA69 wrote: »
    If they were legal and regulated you: 1) ensure their quality and standardisation and 2) immediately disempower the criminal scum who trade in them.

Any citizen who wants to can "immediately disempower the criminal scum who trade" in illegal drugs today if they don't buy illegal drugs.

The legislation debate is worth having, but as it stands, if you purchase illegal drugs you are (in almost all cases...but not always) directly supporting violent criminals. People need to deal with that themselves - it seems for many people, they are content to ignore the support for violent criminality in order to get their fix. It seems as long as you shout about legislation in the future to all who'll listen, you're doing nothing wrong supporting criminals today.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Why would you pick rat poison of all things?
    To get rid of druggies!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Any citizen who wants to can "immediately disempower the criminal scum who trade" in illegal drugs today if they don't buy illegal drugs.

The legislation debate is worth having, but as it stands, if you purchase illegal drugs you are (in almost all cases...but not always) directly supporting violent criminals. People need to deal with that themselves - it seems for many people, they are content to ignore the support for violent criminality in order to get their fix. It seems as long as you shout about legislation in the future to all who'll listen, you're doing nothing wrong supporting criminals today.

You're ignoring the the fact that non-users are also "shouting" for legislation.
    Because. It. Makes. Sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

And when you buy a computer you're supporting slavery and death for conflict minerals in Africa. Drug use is a fact of life and it's not going away, so legislate and reduce harm instead of moralizing and trying to stem the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That's a sheep mentality. It's the law - so there!
    Stupid laws don't deserve to be followed - who exactly is the lofty authority that can make a plant illegal - a fúcking plant, that evolved over millions of years! It's iditotic.
    I mean if we're going to go down that road, why aren't peanuts illegal? - they kill people all the time, and don't get me started on coconuts, the murderous bastards:D

• Advertisement

noddyone2 wrote: »
    To get rid of druggies!

I think you'll find most drug dealers don't want to get rid of druggies. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Kettleson wrote: »
    It's common enough for users to die from contaminated drugs, it's more often heroin and cocaine as its easier cut with baking powder, talcum powder and whatever. I take your pont. But they are hardly subject to quality control.

And if the girls have been made sick by cannabis alone, it must have been contaminated in some way and probably ingested.

Actually when you say common, exactly what do you mean. I reckon at a guess I has lost at least 5 clients every year. I have been in the addiction field over a decade and a half.

I do not know of one client personally who died of contaminated drugs. It does occur of course, that can't be denied,but common?

Do you happen to have any stats on the amount of drug user who have died in Ireland due to contaminated drugs? I know of a few cases but I couldn't say it was common. We get and sent out alters on contaminated gear in work, but it is far from common for us to experience deaths?

That's a sheep mentality. It's the law - so there!
    Stupid laws don't deserve to be followed - who exactly is the lofty authority that can make a plant illegal - a fúcking plant, that evolved over millions of years! It's iditotic.
    I mean if we're going to go down that road, why aren't peanuts illegal? - they kill people all the time, and don't get me started on coconuts, the murderous bastards:D

As I said very clearly in my post
    The legislation debate is worth having, but as it stands, if you purchase illegal drugs you are (in almost all cases...but not always) directly supporting violent criminals.

The debate is worth having but if a person buys illegal drugs today they're almost certainly supporting violent criminality. That makes them a supporter of violent criminality. That makes them scumbags.

And if people just sheepishly followed ridiculous laws then every ridiculous law ever made would still be law today.

And if people just sheepishly followed ridiculous laws then every ridiculous law ever made would still be law today.

And people wouldn't get ill from ingesting illegal substances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Poison knows not of, nor cares for, the law.

So people don't get ill from legal ones? More people die from legally available alcohol and medications than all illegal substances combined.
    Don't forget it was illegal to be homosexual here until recently.

Also just because these people choose to buy something dose not make them evil or wrong no more so than a man buying an engagement ring with a diamond is. The criminal element is due to the government failing to manage the problem in a sensible manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Of course it would. This is the exact reason I always encourage anyone who takes drugs or who smokes/ingests cannabis to source their supply responsibly- "from farm to toke" as it were, to borrow a phrase from the food industry.

Chances are as someone else pointed out earlier that it could've been sprayed with pesticides or mixed with any number of toxic substances, and then of course there's the most obvious explanation that the women are just lying about it only being cannabis they ingested.

If you legalise and control it, that only drives the price up and creates an even bigger black market where it can be got from unknown sources much cheaper, the very same as is done with tobacco, alcohol, and prescription medication.

yeah, but nobody in their right mind would buy the black market cigarettes/alcohol.

Legalise, then the government can control it's growth and supply and everyone is happy.

i wouldnt mind paying a slight bit more if i knew it was healthy government weed.

anyway, i have a feeling that they ingested more than cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

A few in England have died from the Herbal/headshop stuff called Annilihation.

I wonder was it that and not traditional cannabis in this case?

Anything else on your societal wishlist? Unfortunately, people aren't going to "stop buying drugs"; that's a fanciful notion and no way contributes to any meaningful debate to be had. Drugs and alcohol are an integral part of society. People taking drugs is a reality and that can't be escaped from or wished away.

Also would you have regarded anyone who had a drink in 1930s America as a "scumbag"?

• Advertisement

Anything else on your societal wishlist? Unfortunately, people aren't going to "stop buying drugs"; that's a fanciful notion and no way contributes to any meaningful debate to be had. Drugs and alcohol are an integral part of society. People taking drugs is a reality and that can't be escaped from or wished away.

Also would you have regarded anyone who had a drink in 1930s America as a "scumbag"?

I heart internet, unfortunately for your ideals, the law doesnt REALLY come into it, as drugs, cannibis particularly, is rampant in our modern society. I know of people from EVERY walk of life who smoke it on a regular basis.

i smoke weed but i dont drink very often. Smoking cannabis is the lesser of those two evils.

by arguing against it's legislation, and by stating that you wish for stoners to be dying, that could include your own family members, or people that are closer to you than your ignorant brain will allow you to realise.

every point you have made is trollish, and tbh, people are going to keep smoking it, whether it's legal or not.

"stoners", as you call them, generally tend to have their own "guy" to go to and get it, who are generally reliable, from all walks of life, not just "scumbags", and the law doesnt come into it.

personally, as a heavy smoker, i wouldnt care if it was legal or not. i'll still smoke it.

Personally I find the argument that cannabis turns your bloody brain to mush and demotivates the sh*t out of you a far stronger point than hysterical stories about ground glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

While that was happening in Ireland, This was happening in Colorado.

Personally I find the argument that cannabis turns your bloody brain to mush and demotivates the sh*t out of you a far stronger point than hysterical stories about ground glass.

link or gtfo...

i've smoked it for over 10 years (heavily) as in, at least 3 joints per evening at LEAST and have accomplished everything i've wanted in that time including buying a house, settling with partner and holding down a job, even with the recession pushing competitiveness to an all time high in the sector.

if you dont like it, and have nothing more to say than "it turns your brain to mush" then stay out of the argument, because what you are doing in that case is TROLLING, and nobody likes a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Just wanted to share an experience with the people here.

I smoke quite regularly - usually sourcing it from people who grow small amounts themselves.

Recently I got some from a different person. What I got looked and smelt like top notch weed (I have had experience with "sprayed weed" in the past and this wasn't like that).

However after smoking even a small amount of this stuff, there were some very strange effects: really cold extremities (reduced circulation I guess), increased heart rate, feeling of extreme unease and nervousness and a really tense feeling throughout my body - I have more than enough experience to know that this was not caused by THC and more than likely by some unsavoury chemical additive. Needless to say I smoked no more of it and will never go through such channels again.

I think this a serious cause for concern if this stuff is widely available, this wasn't anywhere near Drogheda either.

Just my two cents - can't be arsed getting involved in the legalisation debate. The attitudes of some on here are archaic to say the least.

Yes but that is just another hysterical story though is'nt it.
    It dose'nt turn your brain to mush it is "non toxic" so impossible to overdose on with no withdrawl symtoms due to it binding to fat cells and being released over a long time roughly the course of 28 days [which is why drug tests are only really effective against cannabis, So don't some dope kids have a bag of smack instead.] .
    And your body runs on an endocannabinoid system and creates it's own cannabinoids almost identical to the cannabinoids found in cannabis. They work on the CB1 and CB2 receptors in your body which control everything from your digestive system, cardiovascular system, blood sguar levels, cognative memory, immune system etc... everything you would expect them too ie munchies/short term memory loss etc. Cannabinoid receptors are one of the most densely populated receptors in your body.
    But if you really believe it will trun your brain to mush you are wrong unless you think the chemicals created in your brain of the same structure will too namely anandamide and 2-ag or 2-Arachidonoylglycerol. Cannabinoids promote neurogenesis which means they make your brain grow new pathways and brain cells.
    http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1253627/ I guess you could say it makes you smarter for your arguments sake anyway. Some of the people drawn to it's effects may not be though.
    This suggests that cannabinoids are the only illicit drug that can promote adult hippocampal neurogenesis following chronic administration. “This increase in hippocampal neurogenesis underlies the mechanism of anxiolytic- and andtidepressant-like effects produced by a high dose chronic HU210 treatment.”

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well turns your brain to mush isnt scientific really. On them other hand I have had friends who smoked for years and cant string two sentences together and get paranoid over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Weed is expensive. Glass is cheap. Pestle and mortar, grind the glass, mix it in, voila, 20 minutes effort saves 50 euro.

WHAT???? Why the fuck would anyone bother to grind up glass to bulk up marijuana? I mean seriously....why? You want to bulk up something, you'd use a product that looks similar. If I want to bulk up vodka I'm going to add something that looks similar and is cheaper....like...hello........WATER.

Weed is expensive. Nettles are not only cheap.....they're FREE, AND they kind smell similar to cannabis. Sharp knife and chopping board, chop the nettles and stalks, mix it in, voila, 20 minutes effort saves 50 euro and it's pretty damn undetectable.

Glass, :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

While that was happening in Ireland, This was happening in Colorado.

and this is happening in Canada, and has been for a number of years..

• Advertisement

I can walk into tesco tonight and buy enough vodka to kill myself. If i was to do so, would the legality of it make me any less dead? Every newsagent in the country will sell you any amount of cancer sticks you care to purchase without so much as a passing care for your health or wellbeing.

Your viewpoint absolutely baffles me. I really don't think you've thought about this very deeply.

Advertisement