Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contaminated cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    They had a rep from the HSE on the 9pm RTE news yesterday whose synopsis of the situation was essentially "This is what happens when you mess with drugs."

It's laughable, and fair play to you for your undoubting support for government sponsored narcotic information. Personally, they would be the last organization I would look to for advice about drugs.

Who was it? What where there qualifications?

I know a lot of doctors who work for the Addiction Services who should be for the work they have done in terms of trying to support drug users. Does that system need improvement, of course it does? I regularly post on the topic here, so my personal views which mostly match my professional ones are well know.

I have been called a professional drug pusher by some anti-drug people, so I think you need to be careful about what you assume about people working in this field.

I would never either support or supply mis-information about any issue relating to drug use or addiction issues, so on't lable staff like this.

However, would mind you answer the questions I asked please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's amazing what nature produces... Here in Ireland we have september, natures way of saying have what you want if you want to try it as in magic mushrooms abundantly growing in every field in Ireland, that's a lot of LSD and anyone can pick them from the ground and eat them and become involved in a dimensional change of reality from taking them.

Then you have a naturally growing herb in other country's of the world that nature provides without any need for man to contaminate or interfere with to get the THC high from smoking it, but making natures natural plants and mushrooms illegal is insane especially when they grow like this naturally.

Then you have a chemical compound mixture of which is alcohol that needs man to change and mix it's compounds to get a high and of which is perfectly legal... Seems like a crazy world to me. Time to make cannabis legal, and at least it will be clean cannabis that people want to drink or smoke, you don't need tobacco to smoke it.

As long as it is illegal people will become sick, as the quality of weed and hashish now is really bad, especially hash aka/plastic/cow dung/rubber/heroin/glass/etc..... within the hash block.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't remember hearing any confirmation from a lab, it was all internet hearsay but I did experience the glass in the mouth thing personally.

I am trying to remember a bit more about that incident. Can you remember where there any serious or even minor health issues for people that time.

I remember there was a fair bit of hysteria, like now, but I don't think anyone was hopitalised.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Who was it? What where there qualifications?

I know a lot of doctors who work for the Addiction Services who should be for the work they have done in terms of trying to support drug users. Does that system need improvement, of course it does? I regularly post on the topic here, so my personal views which mostly match my professional ones are well know.

I have been called a professional drug pusher by some anti-drug people, so I think you need to be careful about what you assume about people working in this field.

I would never either support or supply mis-information about any issue relating to drug use or addiction issues, so on't lable staff like this.

However, would mind you answer the questions I asked please?

Oh, I don't doubt that there are some very capable individuals working within these services. That doesn't change the fact that, as I've said before, the HSE, Gardai, government etc etc have ZERO credibility as organizations when it comes to teaching us about the dangers of drugs.

And to answer your question, attached is a screen-grab of the person whose synopsis of the situation was that
    "This is what happens when you mess with drugs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

zenno wrote: »
    It's amazing what nature produces... Here in Ireland we have september, natures way of saying have what you want if you want to try it as in magic mushrooms abundantly growing in every field in Ireland, that's a lot of LSD and anyone can pick them from the ground and eat them and become involved in a dimensional change of reality from taking them.
    The active ingredient in shrooms is psilocybin, not LSD. LSD is a semi-synthetic compound and ergot is its precursor, IIRC. It's actually less "natural" than ethanol, which occurs in nature, though this doesn't say anything one way or another about the safety profile of a chemical.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    The active ingredient in shrooms is psilocybin, not LSD. LSD is a semi-synthetic compound and ergot is its precursor, IIRC. It's actually less "natural" than ethanol, which occurs in nature, though this doesn't say anything one way or another about the safety profile of a chemical.

I get ye, but similar high.
    It's actually less "natural" than ethanol

Magic mushrooms are as natural as you can get as they need no input from man to flourish in Irelands fields naturally.
    though this doesn't say anything one way or another about the safety profile of a chemical

I agree, I was just making a point in my previous comment.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Oh, I don't doubt that there are some very capable individuals working within these services. That doesn't change the fact that, as I've said before, the HSE, Gardai, government etc etc have ZERO credibility as organizations when it comes to teaching us about the dangers of drugs.

And to answer your question, attached is a screen-grab of the person whose synopsis of the situation was that

Hmm, I see. Yeah the guy would be the main man in Public Health, so alerts would come under his control.

However, I'm a tad suprised at that interview as he has been involved in a lot of harm reduction programmes over the years.

I agree it doesn't sound the best, I would be interested in what was said in that interview that did not make the TV.

I would doubt that everything he said would be as negative as that, but yeah it was a sh!te interview and in terms of public health it should be a lot better.

However, I'm still not sure what you mean by government sponsored doctors, if you are implying that they would give out flase info to try deter drug use, that is one thing that guy would not do.

I only thought of it an hour ago when it was too late, if you wanted to test the quality of info the HSE is putting out about this incident, it would have been a good idea to ring the drug-HIV Hotline and see what info they are supplying.

However, due to cut backs it only opens 9-5 Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

crimewave wrote: »
    Cannabis will never be bulked with contaminants that are more expensive than the cannabis itself. That rules out the use of other drugs being used as contaminants.
    True, but it doesn't rule out the possibility that the girls were using other drugs as well (which may or may not have been contaminated). Fear of heavier prosecution could be a contributing factor in lying about or omitting other drug use when questioned by a health professional.

Both the anti and pro legalisation sides are looking for aspects of this particular story to reinforce their opposing arguments, when in all likelihood it neither helps nor hinders either cause.

However, I'm still not sure what you mean by government sponsored doctors, if you are implying that they would give out flase info to try deter drug use, that is one thing that guy would not do.

Not so much false info, it's more a case that it's slanted to a particular point of view that "drugs are bad, mmmkay," if you get what I mean. These are people who have probably never even held a spliff, lecturing us about the dangers of cannabis.

So forgive us for treating them and their nonsense with skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Can I get something clarified? Can anyone confirm that it was resin (some reports say pollen, which is not usually classed as soap bar) and not herbal that these women were smoking?

If it was indeed resin, wouldn't that debunk the weedkiller angle? I'm no expert but by the time you get your hash made (and who knows what else is thrown in at the time) wouldnt the weedkiller be all but gone?

I'm not one to believe the sun, but that doesnt add up.

• Advertisement

Niall O'Connor – 31 May 2013 02:30 PM
    TWO young mums have been left fighting for their lives by a horror drug.

The HSE issued an alert right across the north east that the drug could be circulating in Cavan, Louth and Meath.
    It is suspected that the cannabis may have been mixed with a synthetic drug.
    noconnor@herald.ie

And still no identification on exactly what caused this, they just keep saying cannabis is the cause, mixed with a synthetic drug.

Where are the fact's ? and why are these lame tabloids spurting out garbage when they don't have the correct facts ? Suspected ? ffs.

http://www.herald.ie/news/mum-of-poisoned-drug-woman-fears-the-worst-29311238.html

I do hope the two women recover and have a full recovery, but this news on this problem is all "suspected" no facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In that article it says this in the first line
    Gardai are now satisfied that two women who were admitted to hospital in a serious condition did not smoke a contaminated batch of cannabis.

But that doesn't mean that facts should get in the way of a decent witchhunt.
    Her aunt, Pauline Morgan, said they had travelled over from the UK to be at her bedside as Samantha, the mother of a seven-month-old baby boy JJ, made a recovery in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

She said they did not know where the cannabis had come from but she hoped her sister highlighting the issue would help catch the person responsible for dealing in it.

i wonder if they'll go after dunnes for selling the deoderant that did harm her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Just two young mothers doing their best, looking after their beautiful kids.

The makers of that deodorant should be ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

its all a bit confusing - i thought there were "apparently" toxicology reports stating the presence of cannabinoids, "smokeable" LSD, strychnine, weed-killer - was there? or were all these things present in their blood? but the aerosol did it? Whats goin on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The sooner we get these "deodorants" off the shelves, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

it would make you sick wouldn't it, at the very least the kids should be taken off them both!!

I am trying to remember a bit more about that incident. Can you remember where there any serious or even minor health issues for people that time.

Yeah, those who sold it got the head punched off them :D

Nasty stuff that grit weed. The greed knows no bounds.

Quelle surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

roll-on doederant FTW!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I knew something didn't smell right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

While I actually think coming out with the warning on cannabis as the believed source of danger was good the "dangers" were overblown on normal cannabis in all interviews was crazy.

I think it destroys credibility from the government. It is hard to believe somebody that dangers are real when it so different to peoples' experience.

There are enough studies to show cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol. The UK fired a doctor for pointing this out and he was on the drug advice council. It is quite clear the dangers and science are ignored for another reason. I know a lot of highly successful people who use cannabis. The governments in many countries are trapped by their own propaganda that means members of the public believe it is so dangerous.

yara wrote: »
    it would make you sick wouldn't it, at the very least the kids should be taken off them both!!

Are you serious about the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Its the time the govurnment closed these shops of death that sell this poison.

The Irish people need to get out on the streets and march!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I think it destroys credibility from the government. It is hard to believe somebody that dangers are real when it so different to peoples' experience.

That's the crux of the matter really. People recognise that this sort of stuff is hysterical nonsense very quickly. Unfortunately information about genuine risks is largely hidden by that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

rambutman wrote: »
    its all a bit confusing - i thought there were "apparently" toxicology reports stating the presence of cannabinoids, "smokeable" LSD, strychnine, weed-killer - was there? or were all these things present in their blood? but the aerosol did it? Whats goin on?
    Nothing too severe, you just have a genetic condition that means you were born without a bull****-and-pulling-the-piss detector, is all.

What a coxatology scenario this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Jesus it would seem there is noone in media or government who is not prepared to repeat horse-**** like this. A twelve year old could reason out that more people would be affected if this had been a contaminated batch of cannabis, what sort of creedence now will they put in the opinions of these gob****es after listening to this hysterical nonsense.

These prohibitionists must actually think everyone is as stupid as they are.

Projectiles of Sh1te is the meal of the day with all these news papers/news-spread and RTE/tv3 scaremongering the citizens of Ireland into a frenzy of more Sh1te to mentally ingest.

Seriously though, i have seen more Sh1te exiting from Irelands tabloids and vision news than an elephant i watched having a crap in africa.

All I can say in relation to national news is that it's a pile of "Yes" Sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

zenno wrote: »
    Projectiles of Sh1te is the meal of the day with all these news papers/news-spread and RTE/tv3 scaremongering the citizens of Ireland into a frenzy of more Sh1te to mentally ingest.

Seriously though, i have seen more Sh1te exiting from Irelands tabloids and vision news than an elephant i watched having a crap in africa.

All I can say in relation to national news is that it's a pile of "Yes" Sh1te.
    It just goes to show you who is running the country, i mean where have all the sensible people gone.

Advertisement