Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigger Girls: Are They More Popular than We Think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

where are these stats coming from? 1 in 4 being obese is an epidemic.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=u7RvldSr5M0C&hl=en is one source.
    Clinical obesity is a lot less than some people think (same with being clinically overweight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Aimed at the air, or someone in particular?!!

general point to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=u7RvldSr5M0C&hl=en is one source.
    Clinical obesity is a lot less than some people think (same with being clinically overweight)

until obesity is classed and becomes as socially unacceptable as drug addiction, alcoholism and even cigarette smoking is fast becoming, we are in trouble. we'll all be paying for these peoples health care big time in the coming yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I used to say I don't like make-up (except maybe eye-liner) til someone pointed out that well put on make-up doesn't look like make-up, so what do I know. Conversely, I was going out with a girl and upon meeting her some female friends said "I love your make-up!" to which she replied "Umm, I'm not wearing any..."

I remember a video on YouTube where a very average looking girl showed the effects of make up. She went from being average at best to looking very attractive. I think it might still be there. It depends on the individual though, as in some cases it can make decent looking girls trashy looking or just really fake. It generally makes girls look older than they are too.

where are these stats coming from? 1 in 4 being obese is an epidemic.

eh obesity is an epidemic ;)

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    eh obesity is an epidemic ;)

time to start getting real about it, a parent who has an obese child is verging on child abuse/neglect imo.

Pug160 wrote: »
    I remember a video on YouTube where a very average looking girl showed the effects of make up. She went from being average at best to looking very attractive. I think it might still be there. It depends on the individual though, as in some cases it can make decent looking girls trashy looking or just really fake. It generally makes girls look older than they are too.

less is definitely more

time to start getting real about it, a parent who has an obese child is verging on child abuse/neglect imo.

Id qualify that though, certainly one who shovel all kinds of crap sugary foods, or even just plain groos excess of food even if its good! into their kids. developing fat is a very basic thing all that needs to happen is more calories eaten than expended out during the day, its not rocket science!

Id qualify that though, certainly one who shovel all kinds of crap sugary foods, or even just plain groos excess of food even if its good! into their kids. developing fat is a very basic thing all that needs to happen is more calories eaten than expended out during the day, its not rocket science!

i would ban all sugar apart from vanilla coke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Wibbs wrote: »
    :eek: Do NOT want. People differ and that's a good thing. Makes room for us all.

Which is (IMHO of course) just as discriminatory towards slim women, by suggesting "mature men" whatever that means will be automatically into what some might see as women who are just too heavy, because otherwise it's shallow. I call shenanigans on that myself. Preferring a lean woman doesn't change with age IME. Not unless the bloke involved has chunked out himself. And as I've said earlier I have far less time for a bloke who has gone porky over time.

Actually one thing that would turn me off(physically and TBH mentally) about a woman is one who has a yoyo size over time. The ones whose wardrobe is filled with different sizes depending on her mood/life stage. Maybe it's my OCD talking but I prefer consistency. I'd much prefer a size 14 woman who remained that size over a decade than a size 8 woman who was a 14 two years ago, a 10 3 years before that and has stuff in size 16, just in case.
    I meant a more mature man as in age not mentality. Agree with your point on yo yo dieting though but the weight fluctuation I was referring to was post pregnancy which unfortunately is unavoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Nah, fat people just do more surveys these days cos they can complete them online :P

That made me almost choke on my water! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

A fine big voluptuous female who is a all woman - very arousing for a male!

A fine big voluptuous female who is a all woman - very arousing for a male!

you are looking for one, or you are one, and if so is that your mating call

also sounds like a classified ad in the lonely hearts section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭leewarden

Honey-ec wrote: »
    32" is the waist measurement for women, it's 36" for men.

What's really struck me reading this thread has been the apparent lack of middle ground between "skinny" and "curvy". You can be slim and a healthy weight and still have curves, it's not one or the other. I'm 5' 7", a size 8-10 depending on the shop but I have a 34D chest and a decent (imo) bum. I'm not quite sure when curvy became a euphemism for fat, but it's one of my bug-bears.

To me, curvy is someone like Scarlett Johannsen. Someone like Christina Hendricks, on the other hand, while undoubtedly curvy, looks overweight to me. She always looks like she's wearing industrial-strength underwear.

Likewise, to me, skinny is someone like Cara Delevingne.

Never heard of christina hendricks. I googled her and apart from the boobs which makes her look big, the rest of her is far from being a big girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm bigger than curvy (a size 18) and maybe I'm biased but I quite like girls that are 12-16, 14 being my preference. I like big boobs and bums and nice curvy bodies. In fact I find very thin girls to be a turn-off, but everyone has different preferences. For some weird reason I seem to end up with skinny men and curvy women! So, I like skinny men but curvy women ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I'm bigger than curvy (a size 18) and maybe I'm biased but I quite like girls that are 12-16, 14 being my preference. I like big boobs and bums and nice curvy bodies. In fact I find very thin girls to be a turn-off, but everyone has different preferences. For some weird reason I seem to end up with skinny men and curvy women! So, I like skinny men but curvy women ;)

What's interesting about your post Medusa is that you're able to define your preference in a woman not just by description, but by actual measurements, whereas with men you can provide a description, but could you provide a measurement for what size of a man you would describe as skinny?

It'd be interesting to see does any woman know her men's waist sizes, chest sizes, etc... :D

I have heard this a lot. I have a ''Casanova'' friend who has been with quite a lot of women and he said that although he's skinny, bigger girls are often attracted to him.

The thing I've always wondered about is why bigger girls are often more open sexually. Some people would say they are not as popular, therefore they'll be glad of the attention, but it's not hard getting laid if you're a girl so I think there may be more to it than that. Could it be that bigger women have more estrogen which makes them more likely to have a higher sex drive?

I have heard this a lot. I have a ''Casanova'' friend who has been with quite a lot of women and he said that although he's skinny, bigger girls are often attracted to him.

The thing I've always wondered about is why bigger girls are often more open sexually. Some people would say they are not as popular, therefore they'll be glad of the attention, but it's not hard getting laid if you're a girl so I think there may be more to it than that. Could it be that bigger women have more estrogen which makes them more likely to have a higher sex drive?

whsat has part one got to do with part two :confused:

whsat has part one got to do with part two :confused:

I meant more open to having casual sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Or, it could be that that's just a complete myth! Seriously Pug, you've got to stop peddling this stuff as if it's fact and then trying to stick some makey uppy "here comes the science bit" behind it... :D

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    What's interesting about your post Medusa is that you're able to define your preference in a woman not just by description, but by actual measurements, whereas with men you can provide a description, but could you provide a measurement for what size of a man you would describe as skinny?

It'd be interesting to see does any woman know her men's waist sizes, chest sizes, etc... :D

I do actually. My ex-boyfriend used to make me buy him clothes because he said I had better taste. :eek: It just occurred to me that that was probably not the complete truth! But I digress, I am generally attracted to tall, lean (thin?) men. He wears a 30 waist with 40" chest (he has very wide shoulders). He is 6' 3" and weighs about 11 stone. My boyfriend before him was about a 36 waist, 38 chest, about 5'11" with a bit of beer belly and physically, I wasn't attracted to him in the beginning. Then I got to know him, saw how amazing, funny and smart he was and I don't know how it happened but I started thinking he was sex on legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

:pac::pac::pac: That's the biggest load of ****e I've ever read in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

:pac:

I saw hot air balloon and immediately pictured an apple shaped lady, and I got very confused thinking how a slight person would also be apple shaped :o

Well believe it because I happen to know a really tiny girl who is apple shaped. Miranda Kerr legs and hips, with huge boobs and a round tummy that looks chubby in comparison to her lower body.
    It was a comparison, as in a woman who is that thin, she has no junk in her trunk, no chest and has arms/legs like chicken legs :)

Well that's just a blatant generalisation and not true. How thin are you talking? Cos again I know really slim girls who have big boobs and big asses. I also know heavier women with small boobs and flat asses.

I find this difficult because depending on height, figure and frame, those sizes could look VERY different on different women e.g. a woman who is only 5 ft 1 would be overweight at a size 14 but a woman who is 5 ft 9 might look a lot slimmer. Also boobs and butts come into it - I personally have to wear a bigger size on my upper body to accommodate my boobs. A smaller size would fit my torso but my boobs are too big.

Sizes aren't even standardised. A 12 in River Island is completely different to a 12 in Zara and Penneys. Even within the same shop, sizes vary wildly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Ham Wallet

In the words of a famous internet celeb, I would SUMASHH SUMASHHH SMASSSSHH a fat girls back doors in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Well believe it because I happen to know a really tiny girl who is apple shaped. Miranda Kerr legs and hips, with huge boobs and a round tummy that looks chubby in comparison to her lower body.

Well that's just a blatant generalisation and not true. How thin are you talking? Cos again I know really slim girls who have big boobs and big asses. I also know heavier women with small boobs and flat asses.

I find this difficult because depending on height, figure and frame, those sizes could look VERY different on different women e.g. a woman who is only 5 ft 1 would be overweight at a size 14 but a woman who is 5 ft 9 might look a lot slimmer. Also boobs and butts come into it - I personally have to wear a bigger size on my upper body to accommodate my boobs. A smaller size would fit my torso but my boobs are too big.

Sizes aren't even standardised. A 12 in River Island is completely different to a 12 in Zara and Penneys. Even within the same shop, sizes vary wildly.

It wasnt a generalisation, i was referring to my preference. I can appreciate a slim girl with a nice chest and junk in her trunk, there is nothing wrong (for me) with a slim girl with bumps in the right places. Im not a chubby chaser, not that a woman who is large would put me off. But a thin/slim girl with no meat on her bones just doesnt do it for me.

And of course height is a factor, i like small and petite with some curves. I dont knock people for thier body types, i just prefer something to hold onto :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I do actually. My ex-boyfriend used to make me buy him clothes because he said I had better taste. :eek: It just occurred to me that that was probably not the complete truth! But I digress, I am generally attracted to tall, lean (thin?) men. He wears a 30 waist with 40" chest (he has very wide shoulders). He is 6' 3" and weighs about 11 stone. My boyfriend before him was about a 36 waist, 38 chest, about 5'11" with a bit of beer belly and physically, I wasn't attracted to him in the beginning. Then I got to know him, saw how amazing, funny and smart he was and I don't know how it happened but I started thinking he was sex on legs.

6'3 and 11 stone isn't lean, it's essentially underweight and malnourished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Ham Wallet wrote: »
    In the words of a famous internet celeb, I would SUMASHH SUMASHHH SMASSSSHH a fat girls back doors in.

Classy. Are you single?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Classy. Are you single?

This is just a guess but would say a big resounding yes.!

• Advertisement

6'3 and 11 stone isn't lean, it's essentially underweight and malnourished.

I have attached headless shots. He is one of the healthiest people I know. He eats mostly unprocessed food and a lot of it in addition to having a very active lifestyle. I think he is one of those people with an incredibly fast metabolism. Underweight? Yes but he certainly doesn't look it. Malnourished, I don't think so.

The second link is re: the different sizes and body types. In this photo I am both fat and skinny. You can't see my face but I look like death and under my top, my ribs are visible while my bottom half is still fat. People asked me if I was ill all the time and yet if you were looking at only my lower half, there was no way I could possibly be starving. But I was. I was running a lot and surviving on two weetabix a day in hot water with a banana and the occasional omelette just so I could get down to an 'ideal weight'.

People carry weight so differently and my ex and I are just two examples. He doesn't look underweight but BMI says he is just like I am both overweight and not at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement